Guanifisen in OTC Ephedrine HCl products

AM07

Awards
  • Established
I saw some Primatene tablets at CVS today, and each capsule has 12.5mg ephedrine HCl and 200mg guanifisen. If I want to use this as my primary source for ephedrine, does it matter if it has guanifisen in the long-term in terms of negative health effects? For example, is it okay to use this stuff for 3-6 months without any problems?

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
I saw some Primatene tablets at CVS today, and each capsule has 12.5mg ephedrine HCl and 200mg guanifisen. If I want to use this as my primary source for ephedrine, does it matter if it has guanifisen in the long-term in terms of negative health effects? For example, is it okay to use this stuff for 3-6 months without any problems?
It would appear to be safe, yes. Take a look at toxicology reports. I've used it, however no longer than about 6-8 week at a time.

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
3-6 months continuously is a horrible idea. 6-8 weeks max

AM07

Awards
  • Established
So with the guanifisen is a bad idea to use for extended periods of time.

How about straight ephedrine HCl? Can it be used for 3-6 months at a time?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't unless it was being cycled a few days on and then a few days off...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
might be a good idea to low dose an anti-cort with that. oh yeah, some reset ad might not hurt.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Once I finish these primatene tabs, I may just order some ephedrine HCl from somewhere off the net.

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
Once I finish these primatene tabs, I may just order some ephedrine HCl from somewhere off the net.

why when u can go to a walgreens and pick some up? the best thing u'll find on the net is vasopro which only has 12.5mg more of ephedrine per tab but still has 200mg of guanifisen

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Walgreen's, CVS, Rite-Aid all have ephedrine with the guanifisen in it, such as Bronkaid and Primatene. I want to get straight ephedrine HCl without the guanifisen.

OpKang101

OpKang101

Awards
guaifenesin doesnt affect how long ephedrine can be cycle for.

ephedrine shouldnt be run for more than 6-8 weeks for the sole purpose of down-regulation of the beta receptors.

you can possibly run it longer with something like ketotifen
however the stimulant effects wont be as good
since the adrenal glands will be taxed heavily and wont produce as much adrenaline.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
OK, thanks. Do you think 12.5mg ephedrine with 200mg caffeine, dosed 2-3 times a day is good enough for fat loss purposes?

Also, after using this for six weeks, how long does it take the adrenal glands to recover?

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
Six weeks straight and your adrenals will be shot. I would say 2 weeks of no stims min. Have you taken ephedrine before? It takes 25 mgs for me to notice anything even with fresh adrenals but i only need like 100mgs of caffeine for a good stim. Have you done 200 mgs of caffeine at once before.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I don't feel much from 200mg caffeine.

I'm feeling kind of weird right now after taking 12.5mg ephedrine HCl, 200mg caffeine, and two of the old Hydroxycut capsules (13.2mg ephedra and 132mg caffeine, but it's way past expiration date of 2005 so it's definitely lost some potency, maybe even all of it). I seem to have a little bit more focus, and just slightly off from my normal self. But I don't seem to get the stimulant effects, which I'm happy about. I also definitely have some appetite suppression.

Yesterday, I took 12.5mg ephedrine HCl and 200mg caffeine twice in the day.

After I use these for 4-6 weeks, I'm going to lay off ephedrine and caffeine completely since I won't be trying to cut anymore.

Do you think I should only take EC on the days I do cardio, lift weights, or both? If I were to take it on one or the other, that would be 3 days a week, but if I were to take it on both, it would be six days a week. I shouldn't take it on off days, correct? Or does it matter?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Be careful. Just b/c it's expired doesn't mean it's still not potent. Some things only slightly degrade over time and a couple years past expiration could possibly mean very little active lost (only a few percent in some cases).

I'm not sure if this holds true for this particular product, but play it safe.

Of course how it was stored will also play a role in the products current efficacy.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Word, thanks for the heads up. But I don't think it's potent anymore because when I was studying the past few weeks, I would pop 4 of the Hydroxycuts (26.6mg ephedra and 266mg caffeine) and didn't really feel much from it.

Plus I don't think it was stored properly from the person I got it from because some of the capsules were cracked open, and the ingredients of them were scattered in the bottle.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hcl is very stable.

3, 4, 5 years expired and it is still potent.

EDIT: if stored properly

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
B is right. The ephedrine HCl has a shelf life that is 18 months longer than the sulfate version; it's definitely quite stable. You might want to look at bottle again...I'm not sure about ephedra though...B might know though.

Honestly, I'd either use the Hydroxy Cut alone or just toss it, especially since you said you don't seem feel stims that much.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not sure about ephedra though...B might know though.
Was it ever stable? :lol:

I'm thinking that an herbal derivative may have considerable degredation issues inherent. I have no idea.

I am not nearly as knowledgeable as I might sound :D

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Guys, I don't know if I'm digging this ephedrine HCl too much. I don't have the stim effects, but my brain feels cloudy.

Would 200-400mg caffeine dosed twice a day be fine for fat loss, assuming good diet and training? Maybe I should low-dose clen instead of ephedrine? But isn't clen a beta-agonist, thus decreasing the output of epinephrine from the adrenal glands if used for too long? I don't know if I want to mess with my adrenal glands. I know they will recover, though.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's odd that you're cloudy. I take 25mg-37mg of HCl (or sometimes 40mg of SO4) w/200mg of caffeine. I don't like to study without it!

Have you looked into USP's new fat burner?

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
Dude, 200 to 400 mg of caffeine twice a day is an f-ing LOT. I hope you're drinking a lot of water.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
stx, I haven't looked into USPs new fat burner. I don't know if I trust all of these fat burners on the market. Then again, I haven't had experience with any of them.

arizona, don't people usually dose 200mg caffeine three times a day if running an EC stack? I may just use the Hydroxycuts and finish those off. I didn't get the cloudy feeling from that; maybe it's because it's ephedra alkaloids and not the Primatene ephedrine HCl?

I drink a lot of water, at least a gallon a day. Do you think 200mg caffeine dosed three times a day is good enough, spaced out every 4 hours with my last dose around 6 PM?

Also, will clen wreak havoc on my adrenal glands like ephedrine if I gradually go up to 60-80mcg? I believe it would since it acts on the same receptors as ephedrine, but I just want to confirm this with anyone who knows.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not familiar with clen, but I'm pretty sure something like benadryl will actually help some of the issues that you are mentioning with ephedrine.

I can't recall the science now, but I remember Mass69 explaining it to me in a PM. That **** (benadryl/anti-histamine) knocks you out at night too.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Dude, 200 to 400 mg of caffeine twice a day is an f-ing LOT. I hope you're drinking a lot of water.
Not really. That's the about 2 cups of coffee. A single dose of a product like No-Doz is 200 mg. Most fat loss supplements will have 150-200 mgs.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
Not really. That's the about 2 cups of coffee. A single dose of a product like No-Doz is 200 mg. Most fat loss supplements will have 150-200 mgs.
a cup of coffee is about 80-120 mgs of caffeine. taking 800mgs a day is indeed a lot. Its suggested that you shouldnt exceed 200mgs in a single dose. Also i believe the half life of caffeine in men is like 6 hours just a little fyi.

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
I've read some conflicting reports on whether Yerba Mate contains different xanthides than coffee, but it seems to have fewer negative side effects than pure caffeine. Maybe something to look in to?

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
a cup of coffee is about 80-120 mgs of caffeine. taking 800mgs a day is indeed a lot. Its suggested that you shouldnt exceed 200mgs in a single dose. Also i believe the half life of caffeine in men is like 6 hours just a little fyi.
Initially I was going to say 75-150 mg in coffee, but the caffeine content of coffee really depends on the roasting of the bean. Plus the dose of caffeine in products like No-Doz are 200 mg and state on the packaging "recommended dose equals one cup of coffee."

Therefore I stand by an approximation of 200 mgs per cup.

And yes, the caffine half life is 6 hours. That's why you take upon waking and again mid day.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you are stim sensitive as I am, just watch your timing of course, or else you will be up all night