ATTN WORLD: Why does ANYONE still take BETA ALANINE?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.8%

ATTN WORLD: Why does ANYONE still take BETA ALANINE?

Alright gentlemen, I'm playing devil's advocate again...

Beta alanine, IMHO the most hyped supplement lately, does not do jack according to this (particularly well performed) clinical study:

STUDY: The effects of 10 weeks of resistance training combined with beta-alanine supplementation on whole body strength, force production, muscular endurance and body composition.

ABSTRACT: Carnosine (Carn) occurs in high concentrations in skeletal muscle is a potent physico-chemical buffer of H(+) over the physiological range. Recent research has demonstrated that 6.4 g.day(-1) of beta-alanine (beta-ala) can significantly increase skeletal muscle Carn concentrations (M-[Carn]) whilst the resultant change in buffering capacity has been shown to be paralleled by significant improvements in anaerobic and aerobic measures of exercise performance. Muscle carnosine increase has also been linked to increased work done during resistance training. Prior research has suggested that strength training may also increase M-[Carn] although this is disputed by other studies. The aim of this investigation is to assess the effect of 10 weeks resistance training on M-[Carn], and, secondly, to investigate if increased M-[Carn] brought about through beta-ala supplementation had a positive effect on training responses. Twenty-six Vietnamese sports science students completed the study. The subjects completed a 10-week resistance-training program whilst consuming 6.4 g.day(-1) of beta-ala (beta-ALG) or a matched dose of a placebo (PLG). Subjects were assessed prior to and after training for whole body strength, isokinetic force production, muscular endurance, body composition. beta-Alanine supplemented subjects increased M-[Carn] by 12.81 +/- 7.97 mmol.kg(-1) dry muscle whilst there was no change in PLG subjects. There was no significant effect of beta-ala supplementation on any of the exercise parameters measured, mass or % body fat. In conclusion, 10 weeks of resistance training alone did not change M-[Carn].

LINK: Click Here

...SO WHY DOES ANYONE STILL TAKE THIS???

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.97%

I definitely notice a difference when I supplement with beta alanine. Greater strength and less fatigue. All the "science" I need.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.8%

Quote Originally Posted by LiftNDestroy View Post
    I definitely notice a difference when I supplement with beta alanine. Greater strength and less fatigue. All the "science" I need.
    That must be the Placebo™-Delivery Transport Matrix working.

Im just looking for cold hard facts on this case. My science says your anecdotal evidence is wrong.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.6%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I don't take it.
  5. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.52%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity God

aen, has compiled a huge amount of research on benefits of ba.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.34%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Its cheap and effective and makes me feel all warm inside. Better then most supps marketed lately.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.15%

Quote Originally Posted by krazy View Post

Im just looking for cold hard facts on this case. My science says your anecdotal evidence is wrong.
    Your "science" says his anecdotal evidence is wrong? There are also studies proving BAs effectiveness like Big T said, so disregarding noted benfits as placebo can't be proven. If it works for people and its cheap than I say go for it.

Whether or not it is over hyped is personal opinion, not scientific fact. I personally like BA
  8. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.21%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

The discussion is quite well written, where they compare the previous studies. One thing they bring up is that the rest intervals were long (2-5mins) which may not have been the case in previous studies which may have allowed the buffering ability to have a greater effect (They word it much better, PM me if you want to read the full study)

I'm cycling off Creatine and BA at the moment, so I'll look for any changes but I believe BA does help me get a few more reps out.

PS just incase you missed it and some BA loved goes haywire lol
    I'm playing devil's advocate again...
  9. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.96%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

It was done on a small group of undergrads. It investigated the effects of the supplement on body composition and peformance with an unmentioned training protocol. How is this a particularly well-performed study? It sounds like there were a lot of loopholes created due to a lack of funding.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.8%

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    The discussion is quite well written, where they compare the previous studies. One thing they bring up is that the rest intervals were long (2-5mins) which may not have been the case in previous studies which may have allowed the buffering ability to have a greater effect (They word it much better, PM me if you want to read the full study)
    So are you saying that in this study, the rest intervals might have overcome the potential endurance boost by BA that, otherwise, could have been seen if the intervals were shorter?
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.8%

Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    aen, has compiled a huge amount of research on benefits of ba.
    Link?
  12. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.96%

So are you saying that in this study, the rest intervals might have overcome the potential endurance boost by BA that, otherwise, could have been seen if the intervals were shorter?
    Lactic acid only hinders performance at the near end of a set, as the body is scratching for energy to continue to move the muscle.

That burning feeling you get when you run a sprint, that's lactic acid. After a few short minutes of rest, the acid will clear, and you're good to go again. In the event the acidic part of it is buffered, it can be better utilized to for energy.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  13. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.21%

Sort of. What I got from the article's discussion is that in previous studies the buffering effects may have allowed the participants to more volume because they didn't have to rest as long and could therefore put in more sets/overall volume (Whereas in this study they said there was inconsistency in the rest intervals from 2-5minutes because of the # of participants and machine availability)
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.27%

I have to agree that the study was not properly aimed at determining the effectiveness of BA because of the longer rest intervals. As with most studies I would take the science with a grain of salt, and focus more on the general consensus of the community based on not only science but also anecdotal evidence. I personally have only noticed positive effects immediately while doing sprints and shoulder exercises. Does that mean it has no effect on the rest of my muscle mass, no, it just means those activities where more prone to lactic acid build up. So all in all I believe at most this study shows that BA may not be effective for certain training protocols, as is true with just about every other supplement on the market. Nice find though, its always nice to be exposed to opposing views.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  15. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.52%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity God

look how long it took the scientific community to recognize the benifits of creatine on strength and muscle growth. people continued to use creatine over the years not because of scientific studies, but because it worked.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.8%

Ah good points all around. Giving out all the rep love I can
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.8%

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    I have to agree that the study was not properly aimed at determining the effectiveness of BA because of the longer rest intervals. As with most studies I would take the science with a grain of salt, and focus more on the general consensus of the community based on not only science but also anecdotal evidence. I personally have only noticed positive effects immediately while doing sprints and shoulder exercises. Does that mean it has no effect on the rest of my muscle mass, no, it just means those activities where more prone to lactic acid build up. So all in all I believe at most this study shows that BA may not be effective for certain training protocols, as is true with just about every other supplement on the market. Nice find though, its always nice to be exposed to opposing views.
    Could you quantify a bit more about your sprints/shoulder exercise differences?
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.18%

What other supplement makes you feel like a crackhead?? It gets my vote
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.8%

Quote Originally Posted by Hurleyboy05 View Post
    Crack.
    And clearshot.
  20. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.01%

Hashed out a several weeks ago.

Beta-alanine: overrated.

cheers.
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I use it more for the anti-aging aspects than for training per se. I noticed only a small increase in strength from it.
  22. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.21%

GABA gives a pretty good rush too It's fun to play around with, especially since I bought 500g of it lol.
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.52%
    Achievements Posting Pro

this study means nothing...too many loopholes...ive read studies stating creatine is a useless supplement as well...with no significant increases in body mass and/or strength...and we all know that creatine works...one study means nothing...u kinda have to average ALL the studies on BA...like 1 says useless and 10 say great...then obviously ill go with the majority...
  24. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    It was done on a small group of undergrads. It investigated the effects of the supplement on body composition and peformance with an unmentioned training protocol. How is this a particularly well-performed study? It sounds like there were a lot of loopholes created due to a lack of funding.

you also leave out that it was all vietnamese men as well. There are quite possibly racial differences too. keep in mind that asian men don't see any estrogen level change with the consumption of soy, but caucasians do.... so the small racial group alone leaves a big question mark as to its validity to other racial groups
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  25. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I have never used it, but will be shortly running the version by AMS. I have only heard really good things by those that used it
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  26. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.01%

Quote Originally Posted by JaredGalloway View Post
    this study means nothing...too many loopholes...ive read studies stating creatine is a useless supplement as well...with no significant increases in body mass and/or strength...and we all know that creatine works...one study means nothing...u kinda have to average ALL the studies on BA...like 1 says useless and 10 say great...then obviously ill go with the majority...
    That was a solitary study of many. If you read the thread I started in the aforementioned link, the studies that prove it useful as a supp alone are few, two of which are poorly done with confounding variables, ie concomitant creatine use.
  27. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.94%

Alright gentlemen, I'm playing devil's advocate again...

Beta alanine, IMHO the most hyped supplement lately, does not do jack according to this (particularly well performed) clinical study:

STUDY: The effects of 10 weeks of resistance training combined with beta-alanine supplementation on whole body strength, force production, muscular endurance and body composition.

ABSTRACT: Carnosine (Carn) occurs in high concentrations in skeletal muscle is a potent physico-chemical buffer of H(+) over the physiological range. Recent research has demonstrated that 6.4 g.day(-1) of beta-alanine (beta-ala) can significantly increase skeletal muscle Carn concentrations (M-[Carn]) whilst the resultant change in buffering capacity has been shown to be paralleled by significant improvements in anaerobic and aerobic measures of exercise performance. Muscle carnosine increase has also been linked to increased work done during resistance training. Prior research has suggested that strength training may also increase M-[Carn] although this is disputed by other studies. The aim of this investigation is to assess the effect of 10 weeks resistance training on M-[Carn], and, secondly, to investigate if increased M-[Carn] brought about through beta-ala supplementation had a positive effect on training responses. Twenty-six Vietnamese sports science students completed the study. The subjects completed a 10-week resistance-training program whilst consuming 6.4 g.day(-1) of beta-ala (beta-ALG) or a matched dose of a placebo (PLG). Subjects were assessed prior to and after training for whole body strength, isokinetic force production, muscular endurance, body composition. beta-Alanine supplemented subjects increased M-[Carn] by 12.81 +/- 7.97 mmol.kg(-1) dry muscle whilst there was no change in PLG subjects. There was no significant effect of beta-ala supplementation on any of the exercise parameters measured, mass or % body fat. In conclusion, 10 weeks of resistance training alone did not change M-[Carn].

LINK: Click Here

...SO WHY DOES ANYONE STILL TAKE THIS???
    The studies referenced HERE say otherwise.
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.76%

Agreed. In addition to no controlled training protocol, there's no mention of diet. Training and diet have such a huge impact on mass and bf%, that any study that doesn't control those aspects is kind of useless. As has been stated in this and other forums ad naseum, supplements will not help you very much if your diet and training are out of whack.

These guys may have been eating rice and soy beans for 10 weeks.
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.26%

Why do I still take Beta-Alanine?

Real answer: because I bought the powder in bulk and will continue to use it until it's done.

Plus there are lots of ppl that swear by it. In fact, this is the first I've heard of anything against taking it.
  30. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.34%

Lactic acid only hinders performance at the near end of a set, as the body is scratching for energy to continue to move the muscle.

That burning feeling you get when you run a sprint, that's lactic acid. After a few short minutes of rest, the acid will clear, and you're good to go again. In the event the acidic part of it is buffered, it can be better utilized to for energy.
    isnt there a connection with lactic acid and release of GH? would buffering it be worth it?
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.44%

I'm still kind of wondering this question as well. The only place I really see Beta-Alanine in good use is for swimmers or long distance runners. I've tried it a couple times for 1-2 month intervals. I didn't really notice any strength gains at all, but did have a slightly noticeable increase in endurance. My muscles just weren't quite as tired after a workout as without the Beta-Alanine. This isn't something I'm looking for in a supplement, so I'm not using it anymore and don't plan on using it again in the future.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.86%

Actually just read in Muscle Dvelopment, another study from the College of New Jersey researched BA. "Produced greater training volumes during weight training and had reduced feelings in fatigue."
  33. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.16%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Ouch, harsh man. One study can hardly be considered conclusive. Especially when the test population is allowed too many unmeasured factors, as seems to be the case here.
  34. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%

Honestly... There is no way marginal benefits are worth the horribke skin crawling feeling. I have a ton of it here that i refused to use LONG before all of this came up because of the taste...

BA, Citruline malate, all of these products never pan out...

Only one I will stand behind is Coleus - thats gold
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.18%

Quote Originally Posted by justreading View Post
    i refused to use LONG before all of this came up because of the taste...
    Yours tastes bad? Mine is a large grain, sugar-like, powder and is pretty much flavorless. Is yours bulk or a designer brand?
  36. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%

Yours tastes bad? Mine is a large grain, sugar-like, powder and is pretty much flavorless. Is yours bulk or a designer brand?
    poor choice of words... its more the skin crawling thing, friggin hell! I wont take niacin, gaba or BA - That sensation just skeeves me out HARD
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.8%

skeeves
    I havent heard that since 1999.
  38. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%

I havent heard that since 1999.
    Far out... whatever I'll do what i want (cartman, not me having a cow)...
  39. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.21%

Honestly... There is no way marginal benefits are worth the horribke skin crawling feeling. I have a ton of it here that i refused to use LONG before all of this came up because of the taste...
    To avoid the paresthesia, you can dose smaller throughout the day (This study used 800mgx8/day) and also taking the BA with carbs can help blunt the feeling.
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.8%

I heard it reduces over time, too.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Beta-Alanine and the big D
    By TheLastRonin in forum Supplements
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 04:00 PM
  2. Beta Alanine
    By FitModel in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 11:15 AM
  3. Alanine vs Beta-Alanine
    By Whacked in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 09:07 PM
  4. Beta-Alanine best before or after WO?
    By WhatNot51 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 01:18 AM