Need alternative to Zoloft

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Gold Member
    Answers

Need alternative to Zoloft

My sister in law keeps trying to get my wife to start taking Zoloft. I'm putting in an order to Nutraplanet tonight. Is there anything I can get her in place of it? I've heard of Relora and Sam-e. Anybody have any ideas? I'm drawing a blank, thanks. I remember something that affected mood AND weight loss. What was that? It's probably banned now,lol.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  172 lbs.
    Answers

Kava.
    Trust me on this. It works great, and is much cheaper, than anything from a script.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Answers

zoloft, zoloft....I can't remember, is that for sleep, or depression? if it's for relaxation/rest/sleep, get some bulk l-tryptophan from NP, it's the main ingredient in lean dreams, and tryptophan is also what is in turkey that makes you sleepy. It's also what makes men chill out ofter an orgasm.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Melatonin and Tryptophan!

Seriously effective.. some people think melatonin can force dependency after awhile, but I think that's a little overblown (only extreme users would become dependent)..

That combo is cheap, effective, safe, and one that I personally use to help fall asleep!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  172 lbs.
    Answers

I'm pretty sure Zoloft is in the SSRI category. The kava would be more for mood support, than insomnia.
    I love my kava, btw.
  6. Gold Member
    Answers

Yes, Zoloft is for depression guys. My wife gets spun up and out of control some times, she's a wild one I tell ya. She has ADD too. I bought Kava and tried making tea with it and I didn't get anything from it. I think it was Kona Kava, still have it. I might try Idebenone, Bacopa and Alpha GPC. I forgot about some of the research I did for my own neuro cocktail. Ooh yea piracetam too. What Kava did you get?
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

whoops my fault I thought it was a sleep aid -- nevermind then!
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  0 lbs.
    Answers

Dude. Depression treatment should NEVER come down to SSRIs. They are nasty, hideous, ****ing horrible drugs. DONT let her take it!

You are much more served by examining EVERY aspect of her life. Diet, exercise, hormone levels, thyroid, zinc iron magnesium deficiencies. You owe it to yourself and your wife to track this depression down and NOT use an SSRI. Analyze EVERYTHING. Its worth it.

Tell your sister in law shes a ****ing nut.
  9. Senior Member
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Mach .78 View Post
    I remember something that affected mood AND weight loss. What was that? It's probably banned now,lol.
    High dose EPA/DHA (fish oil) is likely what you're referring to.
  10. Gold Member
    Answers

High dose fish oil is on my radar, thank you. I'm also going to hit up that Napalm/Clen combo for myself. I don't have much to lose around the middle.
  11. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Answers

Easy stuff. In order of importance:

1) Fish oil, 5-6g/day is good
    2) 5-HTP (forget the Tryptophan, it's all about the hydroxy-)
    3) Kava Kava
    4) L-Tyrosine
    5) L-Theanine
    6) Rhodiola rosea

Oh, and lots of clean carbs at the right time of day - morning and lunch.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Answers

A great read on the subject: The Brain Chemistry Plan. Great book, breaks down alot of things that could really help your wife. Make sure she gets plenty of B's too.

13. Gold Member
    Answers

I will take all of these suggestions into account. Trust me, I need to. She also needs exercise, just like me. Nutraplanet is out of alot of what I'm looking for right now. Next order will be big. Where's my shirt haha.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Zolf is an anti-depressant. It allows excessive release of serotonin in the brain. This effect is the type that alcohol give you. Very social and happy effect. NOT A DROWSY EFFECT OR A RELAXATION EFFECT THESE EFFECT MAY CAUSE FURTHER DAMAGE. Please stop trying to self medicate your wife. I'm not trying to be a **** but Depression, Manic Depression, ADD, and dysthymic (basically major depression just different duration) are serious disorders. Please take this up with your wife's psychologist. If she does not have a psychologist (not A psychiatrist) then you need to get her a psychologist medication only works along with therapy. That is the problem with the US today we rely on meds and not therapy. I am a psychology major and let me tell you SUCIDE RATE IS HIGHEST AMONGST PEOPLE THAT ARE ACTUALLY ON MEDICATION (with major depression or dysthymic disorders). Why is this? Because there nuerotranmitters are healed before their brain can handle the concepts of their disorder causing them to have depressive thoughts but more energy to carry those depressive/suicidal thoughts) out. PLEASE STOP

/end rant sorry about that it is just upsetting to me. Please pass this info along.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Edit: I agree with weakestlink about not self-medicating.. you and her should work with your doctor to find the root cause of the depression/mood problems and how to treat it. Jumping right on to supplements may only mask the problem, your doctor will know whats best so talk with him/her.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Please do not listen to this. Again another reason people never get treated is because they take themselves of the drugs because they think they are better and they fall into a deeper depression. This is very touchy subject we are talking about someones brain. Please give this guy some useful info instead of garbage opinions that can harm his wife. Anything your wife has used and hasn't worked is for a reason BECAUSE THAT IS NOT FOR HER. You on a bbing website ask bbers to help medicate your wife. They are say things like this guy ^^ make sure her diet is right and ****. Yeah diet is important but if your wife has major depression chances are she is not eating (90% of people with MD do not eat). They do not sleep either nor do they have energy of Activities of daily living (ADL). Please listen to me.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Look dude. Get a DSM IV look under major depression disorder and learn about the disorder. I can tell you a lot about and things you can do to help your wife. Please contact me for further assistance.

OH WOW I DIDN'T READ IT FULLY. DO NOT LET YOUR SISTER IN LAW GIVE HER ZOLOFT. YOUR WIFE NEEDS TO SEE A PSYCHOLOGIST. GENERAL INSURANCE SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THAT
  18. Registered User
    Answers

Hey man, everybody has a valid opinion, but just remember thats all it is. Just the opinion of a stranger who has no idea about your situation. My opinion is, yes, medications in general are over prescribed in the US. We are 2% of the world's population, and consume 70% of the worlds drug, while ranking 28th in general health. So things are by no means perfect. Personally, I think that stress and anxiety are part of life and no pill will fix that. On the otherhand, treatment that involves psychotropic medications is warrented in some cases. I don't know if your wife is one of these cases. It sounds more like her sister wants her to jump on the antidepressant bandwagon, so to speak. Those situations are tough, family members can certainly have an influence over these kinds of things, but my main point is to leave this in the hands of a licensed professional that you know and trust, and most importantly one who knows your wife's case history.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Answers

Yes, Zoloft is for depression guys. My wife gets spun up and out of control some times, she's a wild one I tell ya. She has ADD too.
    My X was treated for depression with so many drugs, I cannot remember. She never believed herself to be depressed. I always told her she needed to see a Psychologist to get at the root of the problem vs. medicating it.

She was later diagnosed to be manic depressive and she had the same trait you describe above, spun up and out of control. One day it did get out of control and very bad things happened.

As others have noted, diet and nutrition is important, but get her to a doctor, and the right kind too, not just one willing to hand out a script.
  20. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

have her see a psychologist and a psychiatrist.

dont try to use supplements as a solution. if it is a serious thing then she will most likely need real medication.
  21. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by krazy View Post
    Dude. Depression treatment should NEVER come down to SSRIs. They are nasty, hideous, ****ing horrible drugs. DONT let her take it!

You are much more served by examining EVERY aspect of her life. Diet, exercise, hormone levels, thyroid, zinc iron magnesium deficiencies. You owe it to yourself and your wife to track this depression down and NOT use an SSRI. Analyze EVERYTHING. Its worth it.

what is the reasons you feel so strongly against SSRI's???
  22. Registered User
    Answers

What about phenibut....
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Answers

In the book I mentioned, The Brian Chemistry Plan, the author always recomends using the therapies he describes with your doctor. Also the book is written by an actuall MD, not some quasi supp guru who takes an anti drug stance. I feel this book really could help as it has helped me imensely.

24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by weakestlink View Post
    Look dude. Get a DSM IV look under major depression disorder and learn about the disorder.
    lol there was a time in my life where I had to steal to eat, DSM IV's
    went for good money at college buy backs. Especially when you had like 5 of 'em and hit up 3 colleges.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwanderer View Post
    lol there was a time in my life where I had to steal to eat, DSM IV's
    went for good money at college buy backs. Especially when you had like 5 of 'em and hit up 3 colleges.
    LMAO Dude in grad school if you have to do a report with a certain reference book. People will steal that **** so nobody has it to do the report.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Answers

LMAO Dude in grad school if you have to do a report with a certain reference book. People will steal that **** so nobody has it to do the report.
    ooh, that's a cold blooded tactic, mine all had the shrink wrap still on them. Was a difficult target object to hide quickly or move with naturally, I can say that much.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwanderer View Post
    ooh, that's a cold blooded tactic, mine all had the shrink wrap still on them. Was a difficult target object to hide quickly or move with naturally, I can say that much.
    lol yeah i know it is. How did you manage to get them with shrink wrap?
  28. Gold Member
    Answers

Ok everybody, just whoa... I've never seen such ballistic responses to any other post I've ever made here! Chill out! weakestlink I AM NOT PUTTING MY WIFE ON ZOLOFT. READ IT AGAIN.

My sister used to be a Pharmaceutical Rep so she is Pro Meds.

I AM SOO, NOT.

Furthermore, My wife is not an axe swinging manic depressive. She gets anxiety and has mood spells, LIKE ALOT OF US HERE.

The reason I posted the thread in the first place was to ask for suggestions on some good anti-anxiety SUPPLEMENTS instead of something like Zoloft.

Maybe I didn't clarify myself. THAT'S MY FAULT.

(I decided on Bacopa Monneri from using the .)

Stop the degree dropping.

I'm asking people here because they use an array of supplements for a variety of different reasons.

Some of these posts get no response and others (like mine) receive the "I'm not trying to be a ****, but you need to take your wife to see a doctor award.

Anybody who has been around here for a little while knows I don't usually respond this way, but if I can't discuss supps for anxiety with people who have used them, well then I won't know much about supps like Bacopa Monneri, Alpha GPC, Relora, Idebenone, Tyrosine, ALCAR, Fish oil, Phenibut etc...

Go see a doctor. Check.

This was NOT a rant. Here, everybody just chill out and eat.:hot:
  29. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

that was a rant lol.
  30. Gold Member
    Answers

Yea, now that I reread it. It sure is, haha.

I had to come back and add something.

Out of everybody telling me to take my wife to see a Pysch, how many of you are married? The married guys are laughing right now. If you are single, or have the most wonderful girl in the world. Cherish it now. Marriage will turn her into a head spinning beast from time to time. Don't believe me? Not going to listen to Dr. Mach? Go on, marry the angel.:chick:
  31. JJC
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Hmmm...this is an interesting and possibly uninformed opinion. How have you come to this? Why are you against using SSRIs to treat depression? I think you haven't had enough contact with people who suffer from depression, anxiety, or other mental health issues to see how well medication can help people.

OP, if you really think that your wife needs help, let her go see a doctor. It's completely normal. Whether or not you're married to the person, doesn't make a difference. This isn't her fault. Depression, etc are disorders just like anything else. Treatable, but disorders nonetheless. Get real help. Supplements cannot and will not hold a candle to what real prescription medications can do. Do not self medicate. Do not stop your prescription once you're on. Keep a close eye on her until she has stabilized with new meds. Help her treat the physiological and psychological parts of her disease.

Best of luck.
  32. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Answers

5-HTP or St. Johns Worth. Cheap and effective as hell.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"   lbs.
    Answers

Kind of related, I went to a psychologist at 18 because I had problems concentrating in classes/college and saw all the ADD ads on tv, so figured I might bring it up with my Dr. He sent me to a psychologist to test for ADD, and long story short she said that from the 600 question test that I was severely depressed and THATS why I had problems concentrating in class. She told me that she wanted to put me on Bupropion/Wellbutrin or Alprazolam/Zanex. She ALSO wanted me to come in at least weekly to have "sessions." All it seemed like was that she just wants the session dollars!!

Biggest load of crap i've ever heard. Told her thanks but no thanks, i'm not depressed, and went on to make chancellors list/deans list constantly throughout college.

Your wife might just have isolated incidents of anxiety/mood swings (especially now since our society is cram everything in as short of a time as possible, it's bound to create stress). Every HEALTHY human does or should, even if they don't admit it. It's what helps us from going insane .

Try some of the alternatives listed here:

Welbutrin Information - Learn about Welbutrin Uses, Side Effects, Warnings and Alternatives
    Over the course of the last 3 decades, a large amount of clinical evidence and research suggests that natural alternatives like St. Johns Wort, 5-HTP, SAM-e, Kava Kava and other herbal supplements can help to provide short-term relief without the adverse side effects.
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Yea, now that I reread it. It sure is, haha.

I had to come back and add something.

Out of everybody telling me to take my wife to see a Pysch, how many of you are married? The married guys are laughing right now. If you are single, or have the most wonderful girl in the world. Cherish it now. Marriage will turn her into a head spinning beast from time to time. Don't believe me? Not going to listen to Dr. Mach? Go on, marry the angel.:chick:

In response to you saying that your wife has anxiety she should be tested for Generalized anxiety disorder as her doctor to test her. We all have high anxiety at times but it is the duration, distress, danger and deviance that sets the people with a disorder apart from a healthy individual. IF the anxiety is effecting her ADL then she has a probably and it can easily be accessed by a doctor (Even though they have minimal training in this department). I know how you feel with the problems. I have been with the same girl for 2 years and I am constantly telling her to get help and it doesn't work.
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Answers

lol yeah i know it is. How did you manage to get them with shrink wrap?
    At the time, Barnes & noble had hardcover editions still sealed just sitting on the shelves. As fortune had it, it's also not particularly popular subject matter, so it was always nice & quiet around that area of the store.
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  0 lbs.
    Answers

Zolf is an anti-depressant. It allows excessive release of serotonin in the brain. This effect is the type that alcohol give you.
    LOL Im glad you're only a psychologist and not a psychiatrist.

Alcohol = active at GABA and NDMA (most of its effects)
    Zoloft/general SSRIs = active at Serotonin

The types of effects are completely different. I think you may be thinking of muscle relaxants and alcohol which are the ones that are similar. Muscle relaxants = GABA.
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  0 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump View Post
    what is the reasons you feel so strongly against SSRI's???
    Dude they are hideous drugs.

It can cause a whole slew of sexual side effects (delayed orgasm and/or ejaculation, low sex drive). It is not uncommon for permanent damage to your sex drive.

They can reduce your ability to ever naturally (without drugs) experience happiness again (just by damaging the **** they mess with in the brain).

They cause weight gain in some (think of the fat emo chick).

Diminished sleep quality (think about what YEARS of sleep deprivation would do to you... not good right?)

Do you really want to risk ANY of these things? Sex? Ability for natural happiness? Those are (at least) two things I would never want ANYTHING ****ing with.

Ive suffered with anxiety and depression for a long time. For the past 2 years Ive been researching medicine and about everything I can get my hands on and Im finding more and more thats wrong with my body (for example low testosterone.. thats a killer) that I could fix. The average American has a repulsively ****ty diet and a vast lack of exercise. Theres SO much that can be done in just tuning your diet and exercise and routines alone. Its much more than popping a pill.

I agree with the notion that the OP shouldnt rely on supplements and try to self-medicate. A responsible approach to this is required and, if the situation becomes severe problems, immediate professionl intervention should be sought immediately. But, thats not to say that one should make every last attempt to avoid mis-medicating.
  38. JJC
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Answers

It can cause a whole slew of sexual side effects (delayed orgasm and/or ejaculation, low sex drive). It is not uncommon for permanent damage to your sex drive.

They can reduce your ability to ever naturally (without drugs) experience happiness again (just by damaging the **** they mess with in the brain).

Diminished sleep quality (think about what YEARS of sleep deprivation would do to you... not good right?)

Do you really want to risk ANY of these things? Sex? Ability for natural happiness? Those are (at least) two things I would never want ANYTHING ****ing with.

Ive suffered with anxiety and depression for a long time. For the past 2 years Ive been researching medicine and about everything I can get my hands on and Im finding more and more thats wrong with my body (for example low testosterone.. thats a killer) that I could fix. The average American has a repulsively ****ty diet and a vast lack of exercise. Theres SO much that can be done in just tuning your diet and exercise and routines alone. Its much more than popping a pill.

I agree with the notion that the OP shouldnt rely on supplements and try to self-medicate. A responsible approach to this is required and, if the situation becomes severe problems, immediate professionl intervention should be sought immediately. But, thats not to say that one should make every last attempt to avoid mis-medicating.
    All of those things you mentioned above, have improved for me. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying that what works for me will happen for everyone else. I am on Welbutrin XR and Lexapro, low doses of each.

Because of improved sense of well-being and decrease in depressive episodes, my sex drive has increased. Delayed ejaculation/orgasm is not necessarily a bad thing either...that can make sex more enjoyable for both you and your partner.

As far as never experiencing happiness without the drugs, I'm not sure that's necessarily true. For one, you should probably not come off of your meds if you are prescribed them and they work for you. The drugs are not going to permanently fix you (that's what therapy is for...to change your way of thinking and thus change the way you feel). In almost all cases, you need the meds because your body is not balancing neurotransmitters as it should...you may need them for all of your life.

Weight gain may be a factor depending on which medication you are on...but in cases like Welbutrin which works on norepinephrine, you may even lose weight because of what norepi does. Also, sleep usually improves from SSRIs since serotonin is synthesized from tryptophan which helps regulate sleep patterns.

While a proper diet and a sound exercise regimen will help you feel better, it may not help your mental health illnesses. And yes, there are many complicated, interlaced pathways in the body which may be causing her (or anyone) problems so it would be useful to look at it from other angles as well (hormones, life style, etc). If you're intelligent enough to understand how the drugs work, then you should look into them because you will know what they may do for and that they are not magic pills. Often it takes many trials to find the right drug for you. Medicine is not an exact science, that's why they call it practicing medicine. It may take many different attempts to get to the root of the problem.
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Answers

SSRIs can POSSIBLY cause the negative effects you mention, but when used properly under the close care of a GOOD physician, they can also save lives. The vast majority of people on these meds have little to no side effects, and any side effects are usually outweighed by the positive effects. I'm not saying that everyone with mood issues should be on drugs, but for some people, depression is a PHYSICAL problem with the brain. You can't think yourself out of diabetes anymore than you can think yourself out of a TRUE major depression. Certainly psychological factors effect all types of depression, but over time the stress/cortisol/trauma etc. physically alters brain chemistry such that medical intervention is necessary. Then, when stabilized, this person is more likely to benefit from therapy.

None of us know the details of this particular case, and therefore it is careless and irresponsible to suggest a person not take a particular medication because of our own misconceptions/experiences. Depression can be life threatening. Would any of you feel comfortable advising people how to treat their cardiac arrythmias or pancreatitis or diabetes with supplements?
  40. JJC
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Phenomenal first post.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Zoloft and Toremifene
    By Turfman in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2011, 10:46 AM
  2. Methyl 1-d xl and zoloft??