deeper sleep??

sepheus61

Awards
is there any supplements or sleep aids that will help someone sleep deaper??

my roomates wake me up at least 2 times a night and i have trouble going back to sleep.....

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Well they do make a baseball bat supplement that your roommate could take :D
Seriously, melatonine might help..

sepheus61

Awards
i read a few other threads about sleep aids...

melatonin sounded good but everyone said that when you woke up in the morning it was like waking up in a fog...

people said good things about ZMA too...but most of it sounded like it made you go to sleep easier...

i don't have a problem going to sleep it is staying asleep...

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
When I was taking ZMA, I slept great. Some nights I would stay in the same position the whole night, and have those deep red marks on me. But, it also made me feel hungover when I woke up. Others say taking a zinc supp before bed is just the same thing as ZMA and for a cheaper price, but I have recently tried it after using ZMA for awhile but no good. Try and get one of those noisemakers along w/ a descent fan, that will help too.

Rhapsody

Awards
Zanaflex works for me. But it is prescription.

CosmosM3

Awards
Get some ear plugs. Seriously, those things have gotten me through years of college dorms, noisy neighbors, barking dogs, etc...

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
Since I work shift work, nights ect....I always have problems sleeping. I mostly use benedryl or unisom.....generic brands of course. They help you sleep and stay asleep.

Last edited:

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
1000mg of magnesium and 50mg zinc before bed. Basically ZMA, costs less, just more magnesium. Many times I don't even wake for my nightly piss; gotta piss like a racehorse when I wake up in the AM.

sepheus61

Awards
i think i might try ZMA...

i was looking and ZMA is not that expensive...10 bucks for a months worth...that isin't bad in my book

my question is if i buy some zinc and magnesium and take them seprately will it basically be ZMA or does the third ingredient really make a difference??

they make the claims that it increases your natural test levels so would it be good to just go for the ZMA and get the sleep aid and increased test levels??...or...should i just save my money and get the zinc and magnesium because the third ingredient doesn't make a difference??

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
I don't feel a difference. In fact I think I'm sleeping better this way with the added magnesium.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
melatonin at 6mgs worked for me but im older late 20's my gf takes it and shes 5 years younger than i and she does not get the same effects i do at all.
l-tryptophan works at 500mgs for every 50lbs u can get it at www.biochemicals.com for your dog..hint hint
there is a product called doz made by icon that qfac.com sells i have used it and it worx very very well the main ingredient is something called cordious b i think it really kicks ass..forgot about it and then came across it surfing the other night gonna pick some up for myself soon

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, its basically up to the user man. I'd say try out the seperate vit/mins at first and if no help just go w/ the ZMA. Like I said, I tried it but didn't do much as the ZMA did. Some people just respond better.

Jcc, heh I know what you mean by hte nightly pi$$. Recently I get up once every few nights and since I was in such a deep sleep, I almost run into walls and knock $hit over cuz I'm so sleepy eyed.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've found that taurine has worked wonders for my sleep patterns. During my superone+ cycle I often found myself waking up twice a night to take a leak, but upon supplementing with taurine at 5-10 grams before bed I would generally sleep through the night uninterrupted. But damn did I have to take a massive piss upon waking!

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've tried melatonin as well, but didn't really care for the results that it gave. I found that it did little to put me to sleep, and would just essentially make me groggy. The groggy effects carried on well into the next day, feeling like a hangover of sorts. That's definitely not what I'm looking for.

For a good prescription sleep aid I tried out one called "Zopiclone". I'm not sure whether that's a generic drug name or a specific brand, but I found that stuff works awesome for me, as it puts me down hard and doesn't leave any residual tiredness the next day as well.

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
Max, good call on the taurine. Cheap as hell, and taken in the right dose, will leave you stumbling to bed.

PC1

I guess we're all different...... I'm a huge fan of Melatonin. I awake more refreshed and alert when taking it versus not taking it.

Jedi Master

Banned
Awards
hey pc1 did you get in a knife fight? ?? whats that large gash on your upper right arm??

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
taurine at 10 grams before beds kicks ass..best one i have tried so far..cheap as hell from BAC too

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
How about L-Ornithine? I use it with 500mg of alcar at bedtime and it makes a HUGE difference... My sleep is so much better.

A lot of guys also report much enhanced sleep on this. It is supposed to make you release more GH.

About the ZMA stimulating testosterone, I think that comes from research in middle-aged men. You won't notice a difference in your test levels, I can assure you that much.

L-Ornithine with melatonin would be kick-ass, I think. Cheap, too.

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
Luna, talk a little bit more about the alcar/ornithine. Do you do it on a COMPLETELY empty stomach? Don't think I could deal with that.

I have heard that insulin is what interferes with it, and I don't eat carbs before bed anyways...

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I usually don't eat anything 1 hour prior to bedtime, but sometimes I go to sleep with as little as 30 minutes since the last food ingestion, which is usually 40g whey protein with a banana and fruit juice.

I kinda think it does raise my GH levels, as my face seems younger since I've started taking it about 40 days ago. Then again, I'm 36 so it might not make a noticeable difference for the young people here.

As far as sleep quality goes, I must say it is MUCH improved. Once I gave some to this girl friend of mine who is 24 and the next morning when she woke up she said something like "WHOA, I don't remember sleeping that deeply, EVER! What the HECK did you give me?"... and "I still feel like I'm about to fall back into sleep at any moment, too..." I replied to this "As soon as you move around a little, that impression just VANISHES". She agreed.

So I can say I'm definitely not alone in seeing this. Moreover, a 4-month supply of L-Ornithine is only $11 at 1Fast400.com. Some other stores such as legalgear.com and BAC may even have it cheaper. I'd really, really like to hear about results of this combined with melatonin... And maybe taurine? Anyone?

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
I sure sleep like a champ with 500mg alcar and 10g taurine. I think I'll go pick up some ornithine today.

Theanine surprisingly didn't do a lot for me.

PC1

hey pc1 did you get in a knife fight? ?? whats that large gash on your upper right arm??
Jedi...........

Yeah, I was attacked last Fall, a guy came after my wife and I when we went into Boston for dinner one night. I pulled it out and stuck him right in the ass with it, turning and twisting as I went ...........

Sorry, just kidding

I have a few such scars, but no, no knife fight ;)

Last Fall I avulsed my right pec major tendon, meaning I tore it right off my right arm bone. Got stuck bench pressing, and thought I'd blast it off my chest. Blast I did, then rrrrrrip.

The scar was from surgery to reattach it. I'm 100% healed though, and even stronger than I was at that time, so a happy ending at least.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you guys found that taking the alcar that close to bed interferes with your ability to get to sleep? I haven't tried out alcar close to bed as of yet, but I know that during the day it has very noticable energizing effects, and I suspect that ingesting it close to bedtime would prevent me from being able to sleep.

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
Yes, but then the taurine drags me right back down. Takes a LITTLE longer to sleep than usual.

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Me, well I'm one of the unlucky alcar users : I get just about ZERO effect from it. :( My thoughts get a LITTLE bit more active, is all. I take the alcar with the L-Ornithine because a study on ONE subject had results of much higher GH levels doing this than just the Ornithine. Beats me if it really works for most people, though...

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
Hey, here goes nothing. It's been 3 hours since my last meal, and I just popped 500mg alcar/30mg ornithine. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
let me know how it goes i need something to help me sleep better too.

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
I only got 5 hours of sleep (had to work early in the morning), but I have had ALL kinds of energy today. Typically I crash and burn for an hour after I get home from work, and/or take a quick nap at lunch. Today though, I've been going strong from 5:30am.

It's now 11:15pm and I'm just barely winding down. I think this warrants another try tonight. ;)

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by wojo

l-tryptophan works at 500mgs for every 50lbs
only problem with this is l-trypto taken orally doesnt easily cross the blood-brain barrier.. which is why 5-htp is considered a much better alternative since its easily carried accross and releases l-trypto.. i havent personally tried 5-htp but probably will soon.. also wanna try theanine.. oh and ive tried alcar with orthine and it didnt help me out at all.. still was tired as hell after even 8 hours of sleep

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
if u really think 5-htp is better u dont know what ur missing.personally looking into a cheap alt..like theanine although taurine is working phenominal

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
bump on the ornithine! - I take it w/out alcar before bed (alcar will keep me up). I usually eat my last meal of cottage cheese or a casein shake, then about an hour later take the ornithine. It doesn't make me that sleepy - at least not like melatonin, but once I go to sleep it's much deeper, and if I'm awakened, I can easily doze back off. Ornithine and the anarchy stack have made a huge difference in my sleep patterns.