Do you really need to take ZMA at night?

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for another ZMA timing thread, but you can't search for three letter words.

I realize that the best time to take ZMA is before bed, on an empty stomach, but because of my schedule, I need to eat right before bed. In the case of just trying to replace zinc and magnesium, i'm wondering if it'll be fine to take during the day, when I might have an empty stomach. I'm sure it'll work fine, but figured I'd throw it out there for some opinions.

Thanks! -bound

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Well most ZMA products require you take it twice a day, which really is a waste. Only take it once and that's before bed. I find it the most beneficial right before bed. It's better to take on an empty stomach but it's ok if you have it with a meal. You don't need ZMA but it has many benefits.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can try seaching ZMA*, but that only gives results that have a character after the ZMA .
I took ZMA for a while and forgot it on my last order, but I liked it. Just remember no casein shake if you're taking ZMA (Absorption competition)

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I love ZMA, it's cheap, and my recovery definitely is better. i do consider it an almost required supp, because of the large deficiencies in zinc, if not mag, that sports and fitness people suffer from.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Man there's so much that I read over the years that I just forget a lot of it but I read something about how Zinc and magnesium helps in muscle growth or something along those lines. If I was finished business school I would probably re-read a lot of articles. I neglected ZMA for so long and when I started to take it again i saw a difference.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
i just take 400mg of magnesium. puts me right out, have some crazy dreams, wake up very well rested and ive noticed ive been getting stronger also. there was a write up about how magnesium increases strength in this month's Ironman Magazine.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
ZMA increases strength gains, supports testosterone production and prevents muscle loss following high-intensity exercises. In athletes it increases anabolic hormone levels as well as strength and power in athletes. I've notice personally that when I don't supplement with it my strength hinders in the gym a little bit... strange I never thought it was that potent for just being a patented combination of Zinc, and Magnesium aspartate..

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The SNAC ZMA study was loaded and bias. There have been other conflicting studies that show that ZMA does not do what other studies have claimed it does.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
The SNAC ZMA study was loaded and bias. There have been other conflicting studies that show that ZMA does not do what other studies have claimed it does.
Ok forget about the studies, there are 3 guys in this thread so far, including me, that think ZMA is useful.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Well it does the job for me. Restful sleep and great feeling in the morning. Cheap, not dangerous, and effective. Does it increase test? I don't think so. Supports test levels for trained athletes? I would tend to say yes.

I use it on an empty stomach 30 minutes before my casein shake, and it's really effective. This is a solid 9 IMO. Results speak for themselves when you have a stressfull lifestyle. This is my opinion, supplements are supplements, but it definetly helps me keep what I have esp. during exams. Lowers stress levels from lack of rest, and really helps with mood.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I don't look at it so much that ZMA increases strength, or test levels so much as bring them up to a historically normal level. I think that our levels SHOULD be as high as what ZMA brings them up to, but our diets are so deficient in the modern era, that we're all in need of supplementation. Plus, the stuff is like nine bucks.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Well it does the job for me. Restful sleep and great feeling in the morning. Cheap, not dangerous, and effective. Does it increase test? I don't think so. Supports test levels for trained athletes? I would tend to say yes.

I use it on an empty stomach 30 minutes before my casein shake, and it's really effective. This is a solid 9 IMO. Results speak for themselves when you have a stressfull lifestyle. This is my opinion, supplements are supplements, but it definetly helps me keep what I have esp. during exams. Lowers stress levels from lack of rest, and really helps with mood.
I agree, and the restful sleep is more than enough reason to buy it. During exams you need all the rest possible and for $14.99 you can get ZMA by primal force at Nutraplanet. There are 180 capsules, all you do it take 3 before bed time. That gives you 60 servings so it lasts you for 2 months. That's awesome if you ask me.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I've always thought of it working during sleep; ie increased GH and test during deeper rest

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I've always thought of it working during sleep; ie increased GH and test during deeper rest
That is exactly why I was asking in the first place. I'm not so worried about losing the GH release, I was just looking for some feedback, whether anyone else is stuck in the same situation as me.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
That is exactly why I was asking in the first place. I'm not so worried about losing the GH release, I was just looking for some feedback, whether anyone else is stuck in the same situation as me.
Take it at night, not during the day. I use to take it during the day and found it useless.

ntrlmuscle

ntrlmuscle

Awards
Take it at night, not during the day. I use to take it during the day and found it useless.
the benefits from ZMA are seen because you are correcting a deficiency. provided you take it away from other competing minerals, taking it during the day is fine. i personally prefer to buy zinc picolinate and magnesium separate.....

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
the benefits from ZMA are seen because you are correcting a deficiency. provided you take it away from other competing minerals, taking it during the day is fine. i personally prefer to buy zinc picolinate and magnesium separate.....
Yes you are right about the deficiency but it helps with my sleep so I take it at night. I am sure most people are looking for a restful sleep so why take it in the day if you can take it at night?

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
... i do consider it an almost required supp, because of the large deficiencies in zinc, if not mag, that sports and fitness people suffer from.
Exactly what I was going to say. Even most olympic athletes, when tested, show up deficient in Zinc...and somtimes Mag.

Also...ZMA + melatonin = me sleeping like a baby.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Exactly what I was going to say. Even most olympic athletes, when tested, show up deficient in Zinc...and somtimes Mag.

Also...ZMA + melatonin = me sleeping like a baby.
CMI has a supp called BIG. Wow I never slept like that in my life. As soon as I drank it 30 min after I was mellowed out and slept peacefully. The downside is the supp tastes like crap.