what should be your basic supps?

ofwolfandman

Awards
hey guys...I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything with my basic "foundation" supps. Here's the list:

Casein
Whey
Multi vitamin
L-glutamine
Fish Oil
Flaxseed

Do I need to add anything or does this look good?

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I might toss in some Beta Alanine, but you've fairly covered the "basics"

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
IMO, i would drop the bulk glutamine and go with leucine, or just some xtend.

ofwolfandman

Awards
really? i really love glutamine...i feel it helps keep my muscle when i'm cutting and really helps with recovery...anybody have any experiences with beta-alanine?

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
If you're looking to save some money and play it smart, you can get your omegas from just fish oil or flaxseed, so drop one and the casein is pointless unless you have some very specific application for it. Whey can be a longer lasting, sustainable, source if you take it with some kinda fat. I'm up for grabs as far as glutamine and many find it to be ineffective, so it's up to you. I'd drop it. Take some green tea extract for a cheap, effective anti-oxidant and fat-burner.

ofwolfandman

Awards
so no casein? what about before bed and any other time other than post workout and morning?

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
so no casein? what about before bed and any other time other than post workout and morning?
No need for casein before bed. In the morning there is a priority meal that's called breakfast and it consists of a non-supplemental arrangement of components that can be labelled as 'food'. Hahaha, sorry for the sarcasm.

But you don't need a protein supplement aside for post-workout. Technically, you don't really 'need it at all'... I'm sure someone will try and argue it, but a good isolate is all you need and down it after your workout.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
No need for casein before bed. In the morning there is a priority meal that's called breakfast and it consists of a non-supplemental arrangement of components that can be labelled as 'food'. Hahaha, sorry for the sarcasm.

But you don't need a protein supplement aside for post-workout. Technically, you don't really 'need it at all'... I'm sure someone will try and argue it, but a good isolate is all you need and down it after your workout.
agreed. i tend to save my powder, pro complete 40, for times when im in a rush or just need a quick low carb high protein snack. and its nice cuz its got fiber, an efa blend, and a mix of egg, casein and whey. but i still prefer and see better progress when i have a big meal pre and a big meal about 30-40 post w/o

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
agreed. i tend to save my powder, pro complete 40, for times when im in a rush or just need a quick low carb high protein snack. and its nice cuz its got fiber, an efa blend, and a mix of egg, casein and whey. but i still prefer and see better progress when i have a big meal pre and a big meal about 30-40 post w/o
Sounds like a nice mix!

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
oh, and only protein ive ever tried that rivals syntha 6 and muscle milk. i wish it was at np.
Pro-NOS tastes amazing, though it is expensive. It also works incredibly well as a superior isolate source. Other than Oryx, it's the only protein that doesn't bloat me.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
Have you offered it up in the "Request Thread" yet?
damn good idea. and the guy i get it form owns his own nutrition shop and is co owner of the company called optimum health nutrition (kind of a rip IMO) but the protein i get and the gainer they have are awesome. have yet to try the other stuff.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
did I somehow miss anyone saying "creatine monohydrate" ?

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
did I somehow miss anyone saying "creatine monohydrate" ?
I still don't consider Creatine a "basic supp" It's more of a novelty/plus supp IMO - but I still love it!

But I guess they're all extras...