PowerFULL and dopamine, sides, etc.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Ok so I have been planning to run PowerFULL in these last few weeks before my meet and during the off week before for about 4 or 5 months now. I am prescribed Seroquel for anxiety and am confused about an issue with it. My psych. seems to have the "it's your decision opinion" since little is known about how the medication alters dopamine receptors and since little is known about how PowerFULL does the same. USP claims that it increases dopamine so I am wondering if anyone in my situation has used it- that is someone with anxiety issues- or if anyone had any recommendations? I sought professional advice first and am in on the fence position. I ran it over a year ago for 20 days and at the time did not have the same anxiety problem I do now. I know it has several positive benefits like better sleep and all, but I am mainly concerned about how it effects mood.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Bump. I can't believe that will all of the stuff people on this forum put into their bodies no one has an answer for this.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seroquel is an anti psychotic med? A doctor is giving it to you for anxiety?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
Seroquel is an anti psychotic med? A doctor is giving it to you for anxiety?
Its usually a med given in place of benzo's, b/c the patient has a high risk for abuse. Its also something that is prescribed after the patient has tried everything else and has not responded positively to normal treatments. It ain't that common.......

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
Ok so I have been planning to run PowerFULL in these last few weeks before my meet and during the off week before for about 4 or 5 months now. I am prescribed Seroquel for anxiety and am confused about an issue with it. My psych. seems to have the "it's your decision opinion" since little is known about how the medication alters dopamine receptors and since little is known about how PowerFULL does the same. USP claims that it increases dopamine so I am wondering if anyone in my situation has used it- that is someone with anxiety issues- or if anyone had any recommendations? I sought professional advice first and am in on the fence position. I ran it over a year ago for 20 days and at the time did not have the same anxiety problem I do now. I know it has several positive benefits like better sleep and all, but I am mainly concerned about how it effects mood.
You should explain to your doctor that its very similar to L-Dopa. If he doesn't have a response for you, then look for a new doctor.

KurtisWicked

KurtisWicked

Awards
Seraquel is some serious shizzle. I took 100mg seraquel with some lorazapam and DAMN! Never felt so good.

EDIT: Follow Slow muns advice.

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
3 Different states (2 on opposite coasts) That'd be one hell of a busy doctor.
I'm not gonna argue with you, but I have been on several meds for anxiety myself and have actually worked in the health field for about 7 and a half years.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I'm not gonna argue with you, but I have been on several meds for anxiety myself and have actually worked in the health field for about 7 and a half years.
My bad man, I was seriously not trying to argue or prove anything. I was just continuing the conversation. It I came off as argumentative that I truly apologize.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
I use it for mild bipolar. I tried benzos before and they gave me a disconnected/disinhibited feeling which exaggerated any manic behavior I was previously having. Seroquel is, from the people I have known that take it, a very mild medication side effect wise for those who don't respond well to benzos. I have had little sides on it and overall it has worked pretty well. I went as high as 600mg and take about 300mg a day without any sides. My bipolar/anxiety is very mild, but this is all besides the point.

I will bring up the l-dopa question to my dr. Thank you for that. I did not mention to him that last time we talked. He did his residency at Yale and finished 1st in his class and is a a very experienced Dr. so he should have some idea.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
im curious on what your doc says...

does seroquel increase dopamine?

ktw

Awards
  • Established
im curious on what your doc says...

does seroquel increase dopamine?
Scientists are unsure how Seroquel acts but this is what is on Wikipedia:
The antipsychotic effect of quetiapine is thought by some to be mediated through antagonist activity at dopamine and serotonin receptors. Specifically the D1 and D2 dopamine receptor, the alpha-1 and alpha-2 adrenergic receptor, and 5-HT1A and 5-HT2 serotonin receptor subtypes are antagonized.[12] Serial PET scans evaluating the D2 receptor occupancy of quetiapine have demonstrated that quetiapine very rapidly disassociates from the D2 receptor.[citation needed] Theoretically, this allows for normal physiological surges of dopamine to elicit their normal effects in areas such as the nigrostriatal and tuberoinfundibular pathways, thus minimizing the risk of side effects such as pseudo-parkinsonism as well as elevations in prolactin.[citation needed]
Quetiapine also has an antagonistic effect on the histamine H1 receptor. This is thought to be responsible for the sedative effect of the drug.[13]

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Went to the dr. earlier today and asked him about it. Brought the PowerFull with me and he said that he had not read or heard of the ingredient (he does sleep therapy and mental health, guess the almighty supp. industry isn't a focus of actual medical professionals) but that he would not recommend anything that had an affect on dopamine while on the Seroquel for the reasons explained by the Wikipedia post above. Apparently Seroquel, in what I understood, regulates dopamine flow and keeps it static and taking a product that disrupted this pattern could possibly affect the activity of the Seroquel. Notice I said could, because nothing has been done to monitor such an affect. So, looks like I won't be taking it.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Its usually a med given in place of benzo's, b/c the patient has a high risk for abuse. Its also something that is prescribed after the patient has tried everything else and has not responded positively to normal treatments. It ain't that common.......
They give it to people they want to shut up because it has much more of a depressant effect than benzo's. Either that or they just thought he was completely whacked out of his skull.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Scientists are unsure how Seroquel acts but this is what is on Wikipedia:
The antipsychotic effect of quetiapine is thought by some to be mediated through antagonist activity at dopamine and serotonin receptors. Specifically the D1 and D2 dopamine receptor, the alpha-1 and alpha-2 adrenergic receptor, and 5-HT1A and 5-HT2 serotonin receptor subtypes are antagonized.[12] Serial PET scans evaluating the D2 receptor occupancy of quetiapine have demonstrated that quetiapine very rapidly disassociates from the D2 receptor.[citation needed] Theoretically, this allows for normal physiological surges of dopamine to elicit their normal effects in areas such as the nigrostriatal and tuberoinfundibular pathways, thus minimizing the risk of side effects such as pseudo-parkinsonism as well as elevations in prolactin.[citation needed]
Quetiapine also has an antagonistic effect on the histamine H1 receptor. This is thought to be responsible for the sedative effect of the drug.[13]
This means that it blocks the activity of these neurotransmitters at the receptor, it doesn't increase or decrease. And please note: pharmacologists are just guessing that this is how it works, by this presumed mechanism of action. In reality, no one is really sure how it works, as with most drugs.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You should explain to your doctor that its very similar to L-Dopa. If he doesn't have a response for you, then look for a new doctor.
Why would he look for a new doctor just because the doctor may not have an informed response to a supplement that,to my knowledge,USP has never been completely straight forward with the ingredient profile of?