Muscle Milk help

eneyman

eneyman

Awards
Hey all, I have a few questions about muscle milk. Anyways, I usually use whey protein and hear good things about mm but want to know if I really need/should take it if I don't lift weight. I do boxing and resistance bands and stuff like that, no real heavy lifting and I don't want to beef up and gain weight, is muscle milk still a good choice to get in better shape or will it only make me gain weight? Should I just stick to whey?

thanks for any help

packers1200

packers1200

Awards
i think if you just had a good diet that you would be fine.

cantstop19

Awards
muscle milk puts weight on some people id just go to vitamin shoppe and get straight up whey which will be alot cheaper than mm

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Muscle Milk tastes great but I don't think it's worth the price they charge. Get some whey, mix it with milk and voila.

eneyman

eneyman

Awards
well i've found it for a pretty good price, can anyone tell me if it's a good substitute for whey and will it make me gain weight if I have it once a day, because I don't want to

cantstop19

Awards
no, once a day wont gain you any weight but drinking it three times a day will, you need to consume three shakes a day regardless if your trying to gain weight or not thats why reg whey is better you can get more protein and less calories also get casein for pre bedtime protein to keep you anabolic throughout your sleep

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
no, once a day wont gain you any weight but drinking it three times a day will, you need to consume three shakes a day regardless if your trying to gain weight or not thats why reg whey is better you can get more protein and less calories also get casein for pre bedtime protein to keep you anabolic throughout your sleep

If you add a muscle milk shake to a diet which you have been consitant with for some time, you will see weight gain. If you need 3000 calories to maintain your weight, another 300 would add weight to you. 1 drink does make a difference, it doesnt take 3.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
If you add a muscle milk shake to a diet which you have been consitant with for some time, you will see weight gain. If you need 3000 calories to maintain your weight, another 300 would add weight to you. 1 drink does make a difference, it doesnt take 3.
Yup. Point being, NOTHING will make you gain weight unless you eat too many calories. I drink Muscle Milk and I'm cutting.

footster

footster

Awards
yeah i agree. a lot of younger kids use muscle milk because they see others with it and it tastes great, but theres a reason(tons of fat, sat. fat and calories). MM could easily add weight, however you seem pretty active. But as others said, go with the better stuff.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
yeah i agree. a lot of younger kids use muscle milk because they see others with it and it tastes great, but theres a reason(tons of fat, sat. fat and calories). MM could easily add weight, however you seem pretty active. But as others said, go with the better stuff.
Oh, I agree with you, I hate muscle milk, I was just pointing out that anything you add into your diet can be for cut/bulking purposes depending on how you restrict your caloric intake. E.G are you under your maintenance of calories. You could have the MM in there to cut, Or you can bulk on muscle milk, how you decide to use it depends on the quantity and quality of food that you take.

For me, Im allergic to cheap whey. (I have a problem with consuming large amounts of whey concentrate.) Trust me when I tell you, I do use the better stuff, I have no other choice my friend. It's either that or I break out worse than a teenager on superdrol.

For me I usually do either 1 scoop of ATW chocolate mint, or cinnamon bun with 1 cup of fat free milk. On my cut, Ill be consuming 1scoop apple estasy sntrax whey isolate, with 2 scoops of apple xtend. The flavoring combination is so good you wouldnt believe that your taking in a clean protein shake.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established

I also agree with you that muscle milk is used a lot cause it taste good. Also don't forget that it is WIDELY known and sold almost everywhere. From gas stations in the middle of no where, to local supermarkets. Muscle Milk is available and tasty. For me I pick isopure over MM anyday. And Mass by natures best is also a great protein shake. 350 cal, 35g of protein, and 50g of carbs from maltodextrin. Good stuff, but expensive.

footster

footster

Awards
I also agree with you that muscle milk is used a lot cause it taste good. Also don't forget that it is WIDELY known and sold almost everywhere. From gas stations in the middle of no where, to local supermarkets. Muscle Milk is available and tasty. For me I pick isopure over MM anyday. And Mass by natures best is also a great protein shake. 350 cal, 35g of protein, and 50g of carbs from maltodextrin. Good stuff, but expensive.

yeah i work at GNC and 90 percent of the time..its 15-17 yr old kids who walk right to MM or cytogainer. I dont even bother to try and tell them different. B/c A. there so young and inexperienced, and B. anything that didnt taste as good they wouldnt use. But yeah Isopure is a great protein, usually recommened to people who get digest protein to well.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
yeah i work at GNC and 90 percent of the time..its 15-17 yr old kids who walk right to MM or cytogainer. I dont even bother to try and tell them different. B/c A. there so young and inexperienced, and B. anything that didnt taste as good they wouldnt use. But yeah Isopure is a great protein, usually recommened to people who get digest protein to well.

I love isopure but it's expensive like I said. Ill usually mix that and about 40g of dextrose. Amazing taste, Great for PWO. Taste like coolaid. :lol:

eneyman

eneyman

Awards
so do you guys think I will put on any weight if I take muscle milk once a day only? I really don't want to gain, and wanted a substitute for whey for a month or two.. should I give it a try if I can get it fairly cheap or just stick to whey?

footster

footster

Awards
so do you guys think I will put on any weight if I take muscle milk once a day only? I really don't want to gain, and wanted a substitute for whey for a month or two.. should I give it a try if I can get it fairly cheap or just stick to whey?

well there are plenty of other options than MM, however you sound pretty adiment about using MM. Nytro Whey is another great protein using hydrolyzed whey. Bottom line, if you use once a day you should be okay with that much activity. Just watch your caloric intake and jump on the scale to double check.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
well there are plenty of other options than MM, however you sound pretty adiment about using MM. Nytro Whey is another great protein using hydrolyzed whey. Bottom line, if you use once a day you should be okay with that much activity. Just watch your caloric intake and jump on the scale to double check.
I would like to 2nd the recommendation of NytroWhey. Very solid WPI/hydro product. I've been using it for years.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
if im not mistaken MM consists of mainly casein protein. If this is a post workout shake then you should focus on mainly consuming only whey as it is fast acting and then try to eat a real meal an hour later for optimum recovery

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Muscle Milk has worked like a Miracle for me. Maybe everyones body is different but for me I gained 10 lbs of lean muscle, it's fueled my workouts, it gives me wicked muscle pumps everytime, and increadible muscle recovery like I never have had before.

Practically EVERYTHING that it has advertized to do, it has done for me. As for the 300 calories, the total 12g of fat of which 6 grams ARE saturated fats in the form of MCT's which are typically burned as energy and not likely stored as fat or are not likely to cause arteriolsclerosis JUST LIKE THE LABEL SAYS!!! I reason that it is these extra calories and 12 grams of fat that are fuelling my workouts as I stated above!

Again, for me...it delivers as advertized. MM is a blend of micellar casein and whey proteins. Anyone who has studied the uses of proteins will know that whey is good for post work outs as it is quickly delivered into the bloodstream providing a quick one time shot of amino acids half of which will get burned as energy thus providing less protein to the muscles than most believe and that's where it ends. This is where casein takes over and provides a contiuous flow of aminos so your muscles are fed more continuously.

Scientific studies have now shown the perfect protein shake consists of a BLEND of both whey and casein for the best of both worlds.

As for what the OP was asking...weather or not he will gain weight...I reason that if you are athletically active then MM probably do what it is advertized to do and what I have found to do for me and you will mostl likely gain LBM just like I have.

However if you are like most lazy f@#$ks at the gym that never break a sweat while working out then you don't need the extra calories anyhow so stick with something with low calories or more truthfully save your money because nothing is going to happen unless you push yourself by at least 110% when you train so just eat good food.

No I am not a MM rep and no I am not a newb, been lifting 10 yrs hard and have a black belt in Karate so am not a Board Junkie who is a stranger to excercise.

All the best!

footster

footster

Awards
Muscle Milk has worked like a Miracle for me. Maybe everyones body is different but for me I gained 10 lbs of lean muscle, it's fueled my workouts, it gives me wicked muscle pumps everytime, and increadible muscle recovery like I never have had before.

Practically EVERYTHING that it has advertized to do, it has done for me. As for the 300 calories, the total 12g of fat of which 6 grams ARE saturated fats in the form of MCT's which are typically burned as energy and not likely stored as fat or are not likely to cause arteriolsclerosis JUST LIKE THE LABEL SAYS!!! I reason that it is these extra calories and 12 grams of fat that are fuelling my workouts as I stated above!

Again, for me...it delivers as advertized. MM is a blend of micellar casein and whey proteins. Anyone who has studied the uses of proteins will know that whey is good for post work outs as it is quickly delivered into the bloodstream providing a quick one time shot of amino acids half of which will get burned as energy thus providing less protein to the muscles than most believe and that's where it ends. This is where casein takes over and provides a contiuous flow of aminos so your muscles are fed more continuously.

Scientific studies have now shown the perfect protein shake consists of a BLEND of both whey and casein for the best of both worlds.

As for what the OP was asking...weather or not he will gain weight...I reason that if you are athletically active then MM probably do what it is advertized to do and what I have found to do for me and you will mostl likely gain LBM just like I have.

However if you are like most lazy f@#$ks at the gym that never break a sweat while working out then you don't need the extra calories anyhow so stick with something with low calories or more truthfully save your money because nothing is going to happen unless you push yourself by at least 110% when you train so just eat good food.

No I am not a MM rep and no I am not a newb, been lifting 10 yrs hard and have a black belt in Karate so am not a Board Junkie who is a stranger to excercise.

All the best!
Lol until i got to the end of the post I was going to ask how old you were, because as I said before those first comments sounded like you were 16. Defiently not making fun, just from young kids thinking MM was equivalent to steriods. But hey, if MM works great for you then of course don't stop, just defiently never heard those results.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established

All the best!

you seem like a MM rep. I always see you pimping MM for some reason. And your claim of muscle milk helping you add 10 pounds of lean mass can be attributed to what? None stop constant MM diet? Come on now, 10 pounds of lbm on MM, I don't believe that at all. :rofl: Most people have a rough time gaining 10 pounds on mild steroids, and your going to make a farfetched claim that MM helped add on 10 pounds of mass and that your not a rep? It's either your really pathetic trying to hide as a regular person pimping MM or just plain ignorant. If you make that sort of claim, I can also make statements that water has helped me go from 170-225. After all Ive been consistant with it and it gives me "pumps" that is :). Water pumps :lol:

footster

footster

Awards
you seem like a MM rep. I always see you pimping MM for some reason. And your claim of muscle milk helping you add 10 pounds of lean mass can be attributed to what? None stop constant MM diet? Come on now, 10 pounds of lbm on MM, I don't believe that at all. :rofl: Most people have a rough time gaining 10 pounds on mild steroids, and your going to make a farfetched claim that MM helped add on 10 pounds of mass and that your not a rep? It's either your really pathetic trying to hide as a regular person pimping MM or just plain ignorant. If you make that sort of claim, I can also make statements that water has helped me go from 170-225. After all Ive been consistant with it and it gives me "pumps" that is :). Water pumps :lol:

Well Cellardude, you summed up what I was going to say to him but held back because I thought maybe wasnt my place. The only thing I was going to say in regards TO 10LBS OF LEAN MASS from MM is maybe how long it took him to gain thos 10lbs. I mean sure when I first started I gained 10lbs of Lean Mass from my protein drink, however it took me about a year of dedication and wasnt all due to the protein. I mean I'm sure MM helped of course, its the foundation to any training diet, protein that is.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Well Cellardude, you summed up what I was going to say to him but held back because I thought maybe wasnt my place. The only thing I was going to say in regards TO 10LBS OF LEAN MASS from MM is maybe how long it took him to gain thos 10lbs. I mean sure when I first started I gained 10lbs of Lean Mass from my protein drink, however it took me about a year of dedication and wasnt all due to the protein. I mean I'm sure MM helped of course, its the foundation to any training diet, protein that is.

Na I dont hold back BS if I sense a load of it coming my way. I do agree, a good protein diet does help to add mass. Thats the point of this so called "game" Good diet (which may incorperate the use of protein shakes such as things like MM.) will slap on mass. It just depends on time.

Saying you gained 10 pounds when you drank muscle milk and making it sound like an instantaneous gain is wrong. I can attribute my natural gains to high calorie diet with training. Within my diet contained muscle milk which helped me to add 10 pounds of mass over a long period of time. Saying you took muscle milk and it slapped on 10 pounds is misleading and wrong.

As a regular member here, I dont think anyone would try to mislead someone on purpose. (although in some cases people prove me wrong :lol:)

I have a strong belief in my mind that you are working for Cytosport and trying to pimp some more muscle milk. Your claims sound like something they would put on a muscletech ad from so called "satisfied customers." It's so ludicrous that neither I or anyone else would really believe.

I do agree that a high calorie/high protein intake does lead to lean gains over time, however it doesnt happen instantly.

footster

footster

Awards
Na I dont hold back BS if I sense a load of it coming my way. I do agree, a good protein diet does help to add mass. Thats the point of this so called "game" Good diet (which may incorperate the use of protein shakes such as things like MM.) will slap on mass. It just depends on time.

Saying you gained 10 pounds when you drank muscle milk and making it sound like an instantaneous gain is wrong. I can attribute my natural gains to high calorie diet with training. Within my diet contained muscle milk which helped me to add 10 pounds of mass over a long period of time. Saying you took muscle milk and it slapped on 10 pounds is misleading and wrong.

As a regular member here, I dont think anyone would try to mislead someone on purpose. (although in some cases people prove me wrong :lol:)

I have a strong belief in my mind that you are working for Cytosport and trying to pimp some more muscle milk. Your claims sound like something they would put on a muscletech ad from so called "satisfied customers." It's so ludicrous that neither I or anyone else would really believe.

I do agree that a high calorie/high protein intake does lead to lean gains over time, however it doesnt happen instantly.
^perfect. couldnt say it any better.

game...blouses.

Now that you mention it..it does sound like some straight up MT. I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and maybe didnt mean to make it sound he made the gain over night from MM. However, you mentioned he has been "pimpin" MM before lol.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
For me I pick isopure over MM anyday. And Mass by natures best is also a great protein shake. 350 cal, 35g of protein, and 50g of carbs from maltodextrin. Good stuff, but expensive.
You the man Cellar!!

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
You the man Cellar!!

Of course I am :]

Boxmeman, if you like isopure you should give syntrax, nectar a try. Their whey isolate flavors are also fruity. Although I didn't really agree with their actions that they took on members of bb.com, I do think that their proteins are one of the best that Ive ever tried. Get some apple estacy and mix it with apple xtend. youll faint from the flavor combo.

maynehood171

Awards
  • Established
Yup. Point being, NOTHING will make you gain weight unless you eat too many calories. I drink Muscle Milk and I'm cutting.
Wish people would understand that...just like I love the eat fat gain fat automatically idea...it's all in how much you take in...

footster

footster

Awards
Wish people would understand that...just like I love the eat fat gain fat automatically idea...it's all in how much you take in...

its true i was terrified of fat..then carbs..then sugar..then sodium. Just depends what your looking for and moderation.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
its true i was terrified of fat..then carbs..then sugar..then sodium. Just depends what your looking for and moderation.
Right now I hide behind fat in the face of carbs. :duel:

It used to be the opposite. Soon, I'm sure I'll be gettin' crunk with both of them. :cheers:

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
I wasnt scared of either of those, now I have some real tough cutting to do.:lol:

Changing up from white rice to brown rice makes a big difference. Quality over quantity :] in this case at least.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
[off-topic]

Weird seeing a Google ad for BB.com here on AM.

[/off-topic]

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That one dude who came in with correct grammar and a complete selling point for MM was hilarious, then just disappeared again. STRONG SHILL!!

maynehood171

Awards
  • Established
Haha I was the exact same thing in that same process! Now I just like to cut down on my sugar spikes...moderation is key to just about anything in life if you think about it! I'll eat something with high fat in it for fat-energy if I can't make it to eating a normal meal...something just to tied me over I guess...

footster

footster

Awards
of course..moderation. But yeah i dont know where that guy went..who pimped out the MM. I wish he came and (tryed) to defend his views.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
of course..moderation. But yeah i dont know where that guy went..who pimped out the MM. I wish he came and (tryed) to defend his views.
I can't say it's a perfect product and hits every ad claim 100%. But, I use it and think it's great.

Cash

Awards
I wouldn't worry so much as to how much weight you will gain, that is completely up to you. Just b/c you take MM does not mean you will automatically put fat on. I think most people are skewed by this b/c they usually take whey, hear great things about MM, but dont realize that it has probably double to triple their usual whey shake calories/fat. Anywho, i just buy regular whey protein and make my own shakes. ON vanilla w/ a banana or 2,some oats,milk, yogurt,peanut butter and cottage cheese makes for a very nice protein meal replacement shake. Now this combo is probably worse for you than a MM shake, but its one hell of a lot cheaper and i use it to completely replace meals. If I'm just doing a whey shake for postWO ill just make it with milk to get some casein in there.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Wow, I'm away for a couple days & you guys get nasty on my MM post. I'm sorry if I misled & gave you the impression I gained 10 lbs overnight!

First off I must say that I eat very clean & i train very hard. My body was craving the increase in calories and fats since I eat clean to begin with. After all each MM serving is 300 calories and if you take 3 per day there's almost 1000 extra calories which I did not have b4...therefore possibility for some growth!

Plus I remember reading many times where Dexter Jackson & Victor Martinez said the best change they rescently made to their diet was to increase their daily fat intake and Muscle Milk has 12 grams of fat. Most people on this board & elsewhere hear the words Fat & Extra calories and Panic, Panic, Panic! When in reality if you want to GROW you need Extra good Calories and the right amount of good fats. I guess this I what my body was graving. Now use some common sense here and realize that I am not saying I am growing by 10 lbs each and every month, it was a one shot deal by the looks of it.

All of this is only assuming that someone lifts hard, heavy, compound lifts and knows what they are doing in the gym...and if most of the guys on this board train like most of the guys at my gym (my gym is one crazy busy gym) then most of the people here don't know what their doing in the 1st place and expect a protien shake or steroids to create a miracle for them. If your one of the few here that knows what their doing then disregard my rescent comment...my apologies!

I believe like many on this thread have already said, Just because your drinking MM you won't get fat (common sense) and just because you are taking MM you won't gain 10 lbs like me. (also common sense). It all depends what your diet is missing. Mine needed more calories & fat! Voila!

Lucky:welcome:

footster

footster

Awards
Wow, I'm away for a couple days & you guys get nasty on my MM post. I'm sorry if I misled & gave you the impression I gained 10 lbs overnight!

First off I must say that I eat very clean & i train very hard. My body was craving the increase in calories and fats since I eat clean to begin with. After all each MM serving is 300 calories and if you take 3 per day there's almost 1000 extra calories which I did not have b4...therefore possibility for some growth!

Plus I remember reading many times where Dexter Jackson & Victor Martinez said the best change they rescently made to their diet was to increase their daily fat intake and Muscle Milk has 12 grams of fat. Most people on this board & elsewhere hear the words Fat & Extra calories and Panic, Panic, Panic! When in reality if you want to GROW you need Extra good Calories and the right amount of good fats. I guess this I what my body was graving. Now use some common sense here and realize that I am not saying I am growing by 10 lbs each and every month, it was a one shot deal by the looks of it.

All of this is only assuming that someone lifts hard, heavy, compound lifts and knows what they are doing in the gym...and if most of the guys on this board train like most of the guys at my gym (my gym is one crazy busy gym) then most of the people here don't know what their doing in the 1st place and expect a protien shake or steroids to create a miracle for them. If your one of the few here that knows what their doing then disregard my rescent comment...my apologies!

I believe like many on this thread have already said, Just because your drinking MM you won't get fat (common sense) and just because you are taking MM you won't gain 10 lbs like me. (also common sense). It all depends what your diet is missing. Mine needed more calories & fat! Voila!

Lucky:welcome:
no hate dude. But yeah, def. got the feeling you were saying you gained the 10lbs overnight. As i said, MM might be great for some people, just not me IMO. Of course people panic over fat and such, and I don't mean to bash MM either, IMO I just feel some are unaware of why MM tastes so good and others don't know of any other proteins. But thanks for coming back and clearing your last post up man.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Resurrecting this thread again because just wanted to say I started taking Muscle Milk again and I am born again. Just finished using straight whey protein isolate...about ten pounds of it because of the flack I received here in the past and I can honestly say that for me straight whey SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

I just started using MM again and my energy and pumps in the gym are awsome and to me this is what it's all about! NO I do not take 3-5 shakes per day of it. Just 1 shake during my workout! So the fat gain is not a problem plus I do 30 mins of cardio per day.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
muscle milk sucks balls altogether!!! add carbs and fat as needed to plain ol' whey, which is sooo much cheaper to begin with.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
muscle milk sucks balls altogether!!! add carbs and fat as needed to plain ol' whey, which is sooo much cheaper to begin with.
May suck for you but works wonders for me. Many on this site are switching to Whey, Casein blends as the best combo. Many studies say the same.

Why would I want to waist my time adding **** when it's already done for me. I got better things to do with my time. Plus I am finding MM very affordable for the blend convenience.
Call me lazy but my time is worth money to me also.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
Just 1 shake during my workout!
time is worth money huh...you must make $1000 per hour if you are worried about that five minutes of your life!

Many on this site are switching to Whey, Casein blends
good for them...do you drive the bandwagon or something?

i was just offering my opinion and i stand by it...muscle milk is over hyped BS. you are just one in a million where a predetermined formula works for you...must be nice.

lector606

lector606

Awards
Muscle Milk tastes great but I don't think it's worth the price they charge. Get some whey, mix it with milk and voila.
Just throwing this out there: I misread your post and saw "get some whey, mix it with milk and vodka", and now I hold you personally responsible for making me look like a jackass laughing out loud in the library.. lmao

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
time is worth money huh...you must make $1000 per hour if you are worried about that five minutes of your life

good for them...do you drive the bandwagon or something?

i was just offering my opinion and i stand by it...muscle milk is over hyped BS. you are just one in a million where a predetermined formula works for you...must be nice.
Chill dude. Just offering mine. For me works much better than 100% whey as a prework-out shake. To me, 100% whey only, is over hyped! and only usefull post workout. Studies are being released now that the small time window for ingesting protein is a fallacy. To me a slow/fast digesting protein combo with added glutamine works better & makes more sense .

Others may benefit by my experiences, that's all!

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
time is worth money huh...you must make $1000 per hour if you are worried about that five minutes of your life!

good for them...do you drive the bandwagon or something?"QUOTE

Close...you must be good with numbers. I do expect my hourly income to go down a bit with this rescession!

No bandwagon...just mentioned others are noticing what I believed 5 years ago. Maybe I am just ahead of my time! LOL!

Funny thing....I used to get flamed like this by guys like you back then when I would post my preference of protein cocktails. Everyone seems to love their whey!

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
from my understanding MM was good 5+ years ago. i still wouldn't know cause i never used it then! i have heard of some such studies but what i am doing know is working so i rather not cloud my mind with shake options as i am doing enough of that deciding on a cycle!

sorry for the belligerence...i've been in a bad mood the past few days and the "i lost 15lb with ab rocket" guy on tv is starting to tweak me out!

gymrat8807

Awards
MM is overpriced and has more sugar and fats. for the price of it you can get a good whey isolate which is going to be more beneficial to the body