L-arginine and Blood Pressure

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was recently on an L-Arginine supplement. I happen to have hypertension and am on Hydrocholrot(sp.) for it. Anyway I saw a dramatic lowering of blood pressure after being on the Arginine for a month. I wonder why more people don't use this supplement for this purpose. I am off of it now and my blood pressure has shot up again. I'm thinking of getting some bulk powder from Nutraplanet now. The stuff if great!.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, it's also way more natural than some of the diuretic chemicals doctors prescribe. But then again the pharmaceuticals don't get paid like crazy if people are using more natural solutions, so I think the doctors push the hardcore prescription meds instead of something that makes more sense in non-medical logic.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not true. Our office is nutritional programs before drugs.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
I was recently on an L-Arginine supplement. I happen to have hypertension and am on Hydrocholrot(sp.) for it. Anyway I saw a dramatic lowering of blood pressure after being on the Arginine for a month. I wonder why more people don't use this supplement for this purpose. I am off of it now and my blood pressure has shot up again. I'm thinking of getting some bulk powder from Nutraplanet now. The stuff if great!.
What and when were your doses? My systolic needs to come down some. I take arginine pyroglutamate 4 nights a week as a gh release.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What and when were your doses? My systolic needs to come down some. I take arginine pyroglutamate 4 nights a week as a gh release.

My dose for the L-Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate was 6 grams a day. 3 grams before workout and 3 grams after. Usually about 45 minutes pre-workout and immediately after. I swear my bp went down 20 points, both Systolic and Distolic(sp?).

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
My dose for the L-Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate was 6 grams a day. 3 grams before workout and 3 grams after. Usually about 45 minutes pre-workout and immediately after. I swear my bp went down 20 points, both Systolic and Distolic(sp?).
I'm on Lisinopril, but my bp could still stand to come down a few points..

So, it sounds like you dosed the 6grams pretty close together.. Did the lowering effects last most of the day?

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
When did you take your BP, before or after your workout? My Systolic is usually about 20 pts lower later in the day. My family doc says BP commonly drops like that about an hour post workout (I guess the arteries are all stretched out or something). I think a morning reading would tell the tale, since that's when it's highest.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When did you take your BP, before or after your workout? My Systolic is usually about 20 pts lower later in the day. My family doc says BP commonly drops like that about an hour post workout (I guess the arteries are all stretched out or something). I think a morning reading would tell the tale, since that's when it's highest.

I would usually take it mid-day. But also noticed it went down at my doctors apointment when I was on it. My appointments are usually in the late morning. I'm positive is was the L-arginine because as soon as I stoped taking it my bp went back up again. I try not to take my bp that often because it just worries me more and that will just make it go up!.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
I would usually take it mid-day. But also noticed it went down at my doctors apointment when I was on it. My appointments are usually in the late morning. I'm positive is was the L-arginine because as soon as I stoped taking it my bp went back up again. I try not to take my bp that often because it just worries me more and that will just make it go up!.
It makes sense it was the arginine, as NO compounds have a tendancy to lower BP.

thanks

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
i've high BP too. My only concern about taking L-arginine would be the oxidants its produces. :)

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
So... any idea on the amount one should supplement daily of regular ol' L-Arginine for blood pressure control?