Beef Jerky:

Frotsmud

Awards
The Protein from Beef Jerky is ridiculously high. The fact that is a great snack (i can eat it in between classes @ school and get as much protein as chicken breast) makes it great for me to have. Is this a good food to consider using as my "school snack" or, because of high sodium levels, should i eat it moderation? ($ not issue (beef jerky is quite pricy).

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The Protein from Beef Jerky is ridiculously high. The fact that is a great snack (i can eat it in between classes @ school and get as much protein as chicken breast) makes it great for me to have. Is this a good food to consider using as my "school snack" or, because of high sodium levels, should i eat it moderation? ($ not issue (beef jerky is quite pricy).
Just increase water intake when you eat it, it shouldn't be a big deal unless you have blood pressure problems.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Beef Jerky is quality protein if you need it in a bind. Since it really is only dehydrated it retains a lot of quality nutrients lost by other forms of processing. However I do watch my intake just from a water retention stand point.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
beef jerkey is awesome.

Nutraplanet was talking about doing bulk jerky.

They really should. People will buy it.

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
dint read but thats alot of sodium...ill stand by my low sodium ways.
But if Nutra got it, id be down for sure. Especially if they had a low sodium version......:stick:

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone tried the Ostrim sticks yet? They're nothing new or anything, but they're a good mix of beef, and ostrich with high protein content.

Serving Size1Stick(42g)
Servings Per Container10
Amount Per Serving
Calories 80
Calories From Fat 15
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1.5g 3%
Saturated Fat 0.5g 3%
Cholesterol 25mg 8%
Sodium 310mg 13%
Potassium 550mg 16%
Total Carbohydrate 2g 1%
Sugars 1g
Protein 14g 28%
Calcium 2%
Iron 10%
Not a significant source of dietary fiber, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Ingredients
Beef, Ostrich, Filtered Water, Nonfat Dry Milk, And Contains 2% Or Less Of Salt, Citric Acid, Potassium Chloride, Potassium Lactate, Natural Flavor, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite, Sucralose.

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
What about canned chicken? Is that quality protein also? It's not the tastiest, but has 30 grams of protein per can. Does processing cause it to lose any of its efficacy?

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
yeah, i've tried the ostrim sticks, but they are EXPENSIVE. i'd simply go with the jerky and drink a bit of water with it. MY favorite snack on the go is WALNUTS.

i am a big advocate of fat. always have been testosterone makin' stuff that it is! i always have had more fat, even on a traditional diet plan, my ratio is 40/30/30.

so go with some nuts and some jerky. good ****!

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
yeah, i've tried the ostrim sticks, but they are EXPENSIVE. i'd simply go with the jerky and drink a bit of water with it. MY favorite snack on the go is WALNUTS.

i am a big advocate of fat. always have been testosterone makin' stuff that it is! i always have had more fat, even on a traditional diet plan, my ratio is 40/30/30.

I've always been the same way!

harlan100

harlan100

Awards
well i would buy beef jerkey all the time i just dont wanna be paying $4!!! for 50g!!!! lol

Frotsmud

Awards
well i would buy beef jerkey all the time i just dont wanna be paying $4!!! for 50g!!!! lol
if you belong to sams or bj's you can get a good deal on beef jerky. i think my mom paid $8 for a lb bag of pemmican (don't quote me on that but im pretty sure). and that can last a while but again if nutraplanet sold bulk id dig.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Nutraplanet said the problem was the suppliers, they don't want to package it in bulk since they are making so much $$$ on the current packages.

MB

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I have a bunch of deer in my back yard so if anyone wants some bulk deer jerky I will do he deed (however never having hunted in my life, and my affinity for not killing things may be a problem :D)

I feel somewhat bad having my mom pick me up Beef jerky since it is so damn expensive (but my favorite brand is mia now so I haven't had it in some time.) Bulk jerky would be professional.

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
buffalo jerky is where its at. i get it at trader joes as a treat every now and again, but its so damned expensive. like 6 bucks for 2.5 servings or something.

Frotsmud

Awards
Nutraplanet said the problem was the suppliers, they don't want to package it in bulk since they are making so much $$$ on the current packages.

MB
that does make sense from their perspective (suppliers). it would be pretty convenient though to buy maybe 5lb for $30-35. there would be quite a market for that rather than those little pooch bags @ the dollar general that are really $3-4 and don't belong @ dollar general. but as far as buying goes best bargain is wholesale club.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established

x2...

bb'ers need to stock up on good fats and make sure they get at least the minimum saturated fat each day.

personally ive found that cutting sugar is the #1 tool in weight control..its very easy to do once you get the hang of it

ostrim strips are amazing...
make your own jerky... much cheaper..
you can do it in an oven too

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established

pushinweightw

Awards
  • Established
Only downside I have found is that some jerkys have a decent amount of sugar per serving. If I eat 3-4 servings at a time at say 7g sugar per serving that is way more sugar than I want from my meat. But otherwise love the stuff.

LazeDragon

LazeDragon

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I love beef jerky...but it does get expensive. I can down a bag in and still be hungry....i would have to eat 3 or 4 a day at $5.99. Which can get a little pricey.

For the sodium just drink tons of water...no biggie.

LD