Please assist a fitness novice

Patriot181

Awards
Hello everyone,

I have just recently started working out regularly and I would like to find some sort of supplement that would really bulk me up and not cause testicular shrinkage. Currently, I am about 5’10 5’11 and about 195-200 lbs. I was perusing over at GNC’s website when I found “MuscleTech Anabolic Halo”. At first, I thought it sounded great; then, I googled it and came across this forum and not many people seem to be big fans of it for various different reasons. That just further proves my self-admitted lack of knowledge regarding anything fitness related. I have also been considering creatine as an option; however, I have also heard negative things about that as well.

Accordingly, to reiterate my question: what would you recommend as a supplement for someone who desires to bulk up but not experience any testicular shrinkage?

Also, if you recommend something to me, please list the pros and cons.

Thank you very much for your time as it is greatly appreciated by an aspiring “in shape” person.

You guys/gals really seem to know your stuff that is why I am inquiring here. Thanks again!

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Check this thread out: Info

You really need to formulate a solid foundation before looking into mass building supplements. You have much potential for natural gains at this point in time, use it to your advantage.

Patriot181

Awards
Thank you very much, OCC! That thread appears to be very helpful and informative.

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
OCC you are a godsend. I will be sending many a newb to that very link.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
Hello everyone,

I have just recently started working out regularly and I would like to find some sort of supplement that would really bulk me up and not cause testicular shrinkage. Currently, I am about 5’10 5’11 and about 195-200 lbs. I was perusing over at GNC’s website when I found “MuscleTech Anabolic Halo”. At first, I thought it sounded great; then, I googled it and came across this forum and not many people seem to be big fans of it for various different reasons. That just further proves my self-admitted lack of knowledge regarding anything fitness related. I have also been considering creatine as an option; however, I have also heard negative things about that as well.

Accordingly, to reiterate my question: what would you recommend as a supplement for someone who desires to bulk up but not experience any testicular shrinkage?

Also, if you recommend something to me, please list the pros and cons.

Thank you very much for time as it is greatly appreciated by an aspiring “in shape” person.

You guys/gals really seem to know your stuff that is why I am inquiring here. Thanks again!
You came to the right place, stick around and you will learn more than you knew there was to know about training.

First of all let me suggest that you hold off on supplements for a bit. You will never grow as well as you do when you first start training, and this will happen without the use of supplements.

The absolute only supplement that I will recommend to you right now is protein powder. Everyone has their favorite but I like Optimum Nutrition whey protein powder, you can find it at:
www.nutraplanet.com.

The only reason why I recommend protein powder is because your body needs protein to grow, and protein powder is a easy way to get extra protein throughout the day.

Think about these things and go from there:

what are your goals?
what does your diet look like?
what does your training program look like?

If I were you I would submit your routine and diet to be reviews here at AM, perhaps we can help you tweak it.

Patriot181

Awards
You came to the right place, stick around and you will learn more than you knew there was to know about training.

First of all let me suggest that you hold off on supplements for a bit. You will never grow as well as you do when you first start training, and this will happen without the use of supplements.

The absolute only supplement that I will recommend to you right now is protein powder. Everyone has their favorite but I like Optimum Nutrition whey protein powder, you can find it at:
NutraPlanet.com - Discount Bodybuilding Supplements, Vitamins, Weightloss Products, and Bulk Nutritional Powders!.

The only reason why I recommend protein powder is because your body needs protein to grow, and protein powder is a easy way to get extra protein throughout the day.

Think about these things and go from there:

what are your goals?
what does your diet look like?
what does your training program look like?

If I were you I would submit your routine and diet to be reviews here at AM, perhaps we can help you tweak it.
Thank you for replying, Dadof2.

Currently, I am using EAS whey protein after I work out.

Basically, the only rationale I have behind using supplements right now is that I want to really get in shape for this summer.

As of right now, I do not abide by a strict diet. I would really like to change that though. I do not usually eat breakfast because I am almost never hungry in the morning. Lately though, I’ve been trying to at least have a protein bar or egg beaters because I know eating breakfast is crucial. Also, I know I need cease stopping at the drive through and purchasing extra value meals. So there really isn’t much of diet for you guys/gals to tweak, but any recommended diets would be very appreciated and helpful.

My goal is this: I would like to lose the flab around my stomach and gain muscle. I am not sure what my goal weight should be because I know muscle is heavier than fat.

Thanks again for your time.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for replying, Dadof2.

Currently, I am using EAS whey protein after I work out.

Basically, the only rationale I have behind using supplements right now is that I want to really get in shape for this summer.

As of right now, I do not abide by a strict diet. I would really like to change that though. I do not usually eat breakfast because I am almost never hungry in the morning. Lately though, I’ve been trying to at least have a protein bar or egg beaters because I know eating breakfast is crucial. Also, I know I need cease stopping at the drive through and purchasing extra value meals. So there really isn’t much of diet for you guys/gals to tweak, but any recommended diets would be very appreciated and helpful.

My goal is this: I would to lose the flab around my stomach and gain muscle. I am not sure what my goal weight should be because I know muscle is heavier than fat.

Thanks again for your time.
Here is the thing: If you aren't eating enough clean foods, then it doesn't matter if you blow your entire pay check on supps your results are going to be crap. Supplements are just that, they supplement your diet and training.

If you eat right and train right you are going to see good results and see them a lot quicker than you expect.

How tall are you, and how much do you weigh? Also whats your routine look like?

Patriot181

Awards
Here is the thing: If you aren't eating enough clean foods, then it doesn't matter if you blow your entire pay check on supps your results are going to be crap. Supplements are just that, they supplement your diet and training.

If you eat right and train right you are going to see good results and see them a lot quicker than you expect.

How tall are you, and how much do you weigh? Also whats your routine look like?
I am about 5’10 or 5’11 and I fluctuate between 195-200 lbs.

My work out plan looks like this:

Monday - arms and back. I perform four sets of following doing between 12-15 repetitions: bicep curl, tricep push-down, tricep extension, seated press bar row, and tricep/lat pull-down.

Tuesday - chest and shoulders. Again, four sets of the following exercises doing between 12-15 repetitions: pectoral fly, seated shoulder press, standard bench press, incline bench press, and seated shoulder press.

Wednesday - shoulders only. I perform between 12-15 repetitions using only the shoulder workouts listed above.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I am about 5’10 or 5’11 and I fluctuate between 195-200 lbs.

My work out plan looks like this:

Monday - arms and back. I perform four sets of following doing between 12-15 repetitions: bicep curl, tricep push-down, tricep extension, seated press bar row, and tricep/lat pull-down.

Tuesday - chest and shoulders. Again, four sets of the following exercises doing between 12-15 repetitions: pectoral fly, seated shoulder press, standard bench press, incline bench press, and seated shoulder press.

Wednesday - shoulders only. I perform between 12-15 repetitions using only the shoulder workouts listed above.
Ok lets hit your diet first:

You want to get no less than 130 grams of protein per day. It is recommended that you get 1-1.5 grams of protein per lb. of bodyweight, but your digestive system probably won't handle that well at first. So start a bit smaller and take it from there.

So for right now keep your protein high and fat and carbs moderate to low for the time being. Some people handle carbs better than others, as you go along you will learn how your body handles them.

You want to try and eat 6 small meals a day. This is tough, but the most efficient way to keep your metabolism high and burning fat, as well as keeping protein in your system allowing for growth. It is easy to follow such a diet if you take one day a week and make all of your meals for the week.

Chicken, fish, and red meat are your friends.

Now to your training program

You need to work your entire body in order for it to grow efficiently (not to mention the fact that you don't want to look like a Picasso). This means hitting your legs.

You also need to ensure that you are getting sufficient rest between workouts. Your muscles don't grow in the gym, they grow while you are away from the gym.

Try a 3 day split i.e. Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Tues, Thurs, Sat.

Your split could look something like this:

Monday - Chest & Shoulders

Wednesday - Legs and Bi's and Tri's

Friday - Back and Traps

Your routine is entirely too dependant upon machines, you need to rely on free weights and compound movements to grow and build quality muscle.

Kindly ask a more experienced lifter at your gym to show you the proper form for the bench press, the squat, and the deadlift. If you could only do 3 exercises in the world, these are the ones that you would want to do.

So lets take the M,W,F split and break it down into a specific routine

Monday - Chest and Shoulders

Chest:
Bench press - 3 sets of 6-10 reps
Incline bench press - 3 sets of 6-10 reps
Decline bench press - 3 sets of 6-10 reps
dumbell flys - 3 sets of 10 reps

Shoulders:
Standing Barbell press - 3 sets of 6-10 reps
Upright rows - 3 sets of 6-10 reps

Tuesday - Legs Bi's & Tri's

Legs:
Squats - 5 sets of 6-10
Leg Press - 5 sets of 6-10
Leg extensions - 3 sets of 10

Biceps:
Standing barbell curl - 3 sets of 6-10
Concentration curls - 3 sets of 10
Hammer Curls - 3 sets of 10

Triceps:
Overhead extensions - 3 sets of 6-10
Bench Dips - 3 sets of 10
Tricep pressdown - 3 sets of 10

Friday

Back:
Deadlifts - 3 sets of 6-10
Lat Pulldowns - 3 sets of 6-10
One Arm Dumbell Rows - 3 sets of 6-10

Traps:

Barbell Shrugs - 5 sets of 10

Now this is just an example of an effective program that would focus on building muscle and strength. You do not have to do this program, it is just an example.

Also you are going to want to do about 20-30 minutes of cardio (riding a bike or walking on a treadmill or the eliptical etc) after each workout.

It is also of the upmost importance to consume your protein shake within 1 hour of finishing your workout.

I hope this helps.

Patriot181

Awards
Wow! Thank you very much for taking to time to formulate such an obliging post; it is very much appreciated.

I will definitely make use of your advice. Thanks again!

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
In turn, I commend you to OCCFan023's primer (good job, dude - I'll rep you in a minute), and this bit in particular:
Everyone is looking to get big and do it fast, correct? Many individuals think that supplements will help them archive their goals instantly or at least faster than without them. Now with all the logs and supplements reviews on this forum that would seem logical and accurate, but instead is COMPLETELY FALSE.
I'll only add/restate the following:

The only supplements you need to be concerned with are a solid multi-vitamin /multi-mineral combo (no iron), and protein. Once you run out of the EAS, get yourself a better protein - specifically, one without soy (without compelling reason, men should not add soy to their diets).

To that, add a regular good-night's-sleep, smart training, and tune your diet as you get to know your body. You'll be much bigger soon.

Last edited:

Patriot181

Awards
Thank you, BodyWizard.

I can tell I'm going to learn a lot here.