friend needs help losing weight.

Stryfe

Stryfe

Awards
Alright, so my friend wants to lose fat and replace it with muscle.

I would say he's 5'9 and around 250 lbs... Lets just say he doesn't look like he's in shape.

Can someone suggest some supplements?

Like:
-Pre workout
-During workout
-After workout

He wants creatine so I told him to go with mono. And he also says he wants a good NO product, but I didn't know what to suggest him with. Also, what is a good fat loss product?

Saurabh

Awards
Forget all of that. Right now he needs to get his body to some ground work. Ask him to start with 30-45 minutes(of course the more the merrier) cardio everyday first thing on empty stomach. Do it for a couple of months and take it from there.

At his body weight it would be no benefit to go straight into lifting. Make him lose some weight first.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
he should change his diet, training routine and cardio scheme before looking to supplements. he should first do one thing at a time IMO. taking a creatine and a workoutbooster with a fat burner that contains caffeine is not a good mix. creatine and caffeine IMO should be used seperately. i would fix his diet and training first then go to some fat loss aids. MAN scorch is great, leviathin, DCP and hydroxycut hardcore i think are great products. for NO superpump 250 and white flood are the best i think and for creatine i would stay away from mono, people tend to hold alot of water on it, especially if he is already a bigger person. so i would say Size-on or GreenMAG would be good choices.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
The first thing your friend needs to do is take a look at his diet and remove all of the unhealthy foods. He needs to be dedicated to this long term. Supplements only last 30-90 days a bottle/tub/etc. his diet should be something he can commit to for a lifetime.

BUT if he needs some motivation to get in the gym
Ragnarok is an excellent preworkout, available in caffeine and caffeine free versions.
BSN's NO Xplode as well as all other BSN products are 10% on Nutraplanet at the moment.
Chuck Diesel is coming out with a new version of his NOS Ether product and it sounds like it should be something amazing.

Post workout is all about nutrition, generally high carbs and high protein is the way to go, be that through powders or whole foods.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
agreed, he really doesn't need creatine or NO at this point... cardio/diet and then a weight-loss supp would be ideal.

MB

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I totally agree with the posts above...right now he needs to focus on getting his diet straight and figuring out a fitness routine based on his goals.

70% of his success is going to rely on his nutrition!

also, DON'T tell him to start jogging for cardio! a guy that big should start with non impactive cardio...spin bike, elliptical, etc...pounding the pavement or treadmill could end up damaging his joints.

the only supps I would suggest right now are CLA, Fish Oil, and protein. I also agree that if he lacks the energy to get going then a preworkout supplement...I'm not well versed in them though.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Steps to success.

1) tell him to read this INFO

2) Tell him to sign up at AM so he can research more information.

3) Bust his ass in the gym and with his diet.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He wants creatine so I told him to go with mono. And he also says he wants a good NO product, but I didn't know what to suggest him with. Also, what is a good fat loss product?
if it makes him have more motivation because he is sinking dollars he can't afford to waste into the supplements then taking them isn't the worst idea, but at 5'9 + 250, he doesn't likely need any of them yet. He probably doesn't have proper form even on exercises (guessing that he is just starting to work out) and so none of that will give him any significant muscle building gains beyond what he'd have without them. Like delsolrob said, fish oil, flax oil, protein and maybe add BCAAs. those will all help with muscle growth and some with recovery, and for at least the first 3-6 months of working out and cardio his bodily changes will be identical with or without adding anything else.

the other thing that will be really critical for him is to have realistic goals + expectations. He's not going to look like this

by june. He should expect to loose no more than 1-1.5lbs of fat a week, so to get to REASONABLE bodyfat levels he's looking at at least a year, cause there will be plateaus and such thru the year.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
dude how did you hack onto my computer!?!?!?:blink:

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Easy just HAPPENED to have that picture handy...ahahahahahahaha :lol:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was going to use a trip pic, but couldn't find one with pants on ;)

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
the other thing that will be really critical for him is to have realistic goals + expectations.
He should expect to loose no more than 1-1.5lbs of fat a week, so to get to REASONABLE bodyfat levels he's looking at at least a year, cause there will be plateaus and such thru the year.
Yeah, that's really important! Nothing kills motivation like not being able to meet your goals...You have to make them achievable/realistic!

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was going to use a trip pic, but couldn't find one with pants on ;)
It's the strangest thing, a little leprechaun that looks an awfully lot like poopypants, climbs in my window at night and steals all my pants.....strange.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
It's the strangest thing, a little leprechaun that looks an awfully lot like poopypants, climbs in my window at night and steals all my pants.....strange.
I think you are referring to these guys:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, that's really important! Nothing kills motivation like not being able to meet your goals...You have to make them achievable/realistic!
For sure. I'm just now reaching where I thought I would be last june. largely thru underestimating my bodyfat levels, and doing stupid things to try and meet unrealistic goals. I had a span of time where my daily caloric intake was probably about 2000 cal a day below expenditure. It doesn't work out very well, even if the math says thats good for 4lbs a week.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LOL... sorry man, well... ya know I always mess mine and I gotta get another pair somewhere.... the leprechaun you see though is just the mirror ya red headed irishman:D

All good Im irish too.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LOL... sorry man, well... ya know I always mess mine and I gotta get another pair somewhere.... the leprechaun you see though is just the mirror ya red headed irishman:D

All good Im irish too.
:rofl: had to do it poop.......lol