Is DOMS good or bad?? My situation.

freakabe

Awards
okay so I just started taking Activate Extreme and Lean Extreme about a week ago.

Activate - 4 caps/day
Lean - 2 caps/day.

I would be bumping dosage up soon.

One very significant thing I notice is that for the past few days, I have experienced almost NO DOMS AT ALL!!!

I am pretty sure it was because of either these 2 supps because my diet is exactly the same(with the exception of maybe more steaks), and training routine and timing is all the same.

I always get a DOMS effect whenever I wake up the day after my workout.

I just want to ask what is causing this? And is DOMS GOOD OR BAD??

THanks!!!:good:

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
IMO, too much DOMS is bad.

No DOMS would indicate, to me, that I did not work hard enough.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMO, too much DOMS is bad.

No DOMS would indicate, to me, that I did not work hard enough.
Definitely agreed, although sometimes I do put in a hard workout and don't feel the DOMS. Whenever I throw in an exercise I haven't done in a while, I can feel the DOMS in that muscle the next day which I like to see.

As for the OP, I don't see exactly how these 2 supplements could lead to such a quick improvement in recovery, but if you indeed notice this to be the case, you may have found a supplement your body responds very well to!

freakabe

Awards
i dunno man, but i'm sure it was either AX or LX or Superpump250 which I just added.

Another question:

Can I do 8 weeks of both AX and LX?? 4 weeks on 2 weeks off 4 weeks on again? WIll there be any side effects? I don't want any.

P.S. I'm producing very very good tummy fat loss on LX man.. really a great product.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
DOMS are not an indicator of increased muscle growth or superior workouts.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Correct, you feel doms when your body has an inflammatory response to exercise. Arachidonic Acid (AA) is an essential fatty acid that is stored in muscle tissue and upon exercise is released from your body causing the inflammatory response. Once a muscle has adapted to an exercise, or runs out of AA it will no longer become inflamed after exercise. That is why when you do any exercise that you haven't done in a while, you feel sore because your body has a store of AA there. For example, trying doing one legged leg presses (assuming no one really ever dose these) and you will most likely feel sore in your inner and outer thigh because they will be engaged for stabilization. Also you may want to increase your consumption of foods like eggs, beef liver, and steak that are high in AA.

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
No, it's not.

But without an inflammatory response in your muscle tissue, there will be no hypertrophy. This sets off your immune system to do its work and puts the repair process in motion.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Correct, you feel doms when your body has an inflammatory response to exercise. Arachidonic Acid (AA) is an essential fatty acid that is stored in muscle tissue and upon exercise is released from your body causing the inflammatory response. Once a muscle has adapted to an exercise, or runs out of AA it will no longer become inflamed after exercise. That is why when you do any exercise that you haven't done in a while, you feel sore because your body has a store of AA there. For example, trying doing one legged leg presses (assuming no one really ever dose these) and you will most likely feel sore in your inner and outer thigh because they will be engaged for stabilization. Also you may want to increase your consumption of foods like eggs, beef liver, and steak that are high in AA.
Guys, I need some help here. I have outrageous DOMS, as does my identical twin bro. We get sore from nearly doing nothing. In fact, I threw a few games of darts Fri. night, and come Sat. morning, my brachialis (bicep side muslce) was sore. This happened to me before when I threw darts. When we go bowling, our obliques, wrists, delt (on throwing side) are destroyed. When we workout, FORGET IT, we're worthess for days. For example, when I used to go somewhat heavy on squats and go a$$ to the grass, my legs would be so destroyed the following day or two that I could barely use them. I would have to use the handrails on the stairs to "walk" myself down using my hands/shoulders. Legs barely worked. Getting into my car was excruciating. The soreness would last for 5-7 days.

I'm in the process of trying to tone my workouts down. I did chest/bis/traps/abs/lateral delts yesterday (Sunday). For chest, I only did: BENCH: 135lbs (15) x1, 225lbs (12) x 2, inclined DB flies: 50lbs (12) x 1, 55lbs (12) x 1. That's it. My pecs and the delt/pec tie-in area are hammered. Although, not as sore as if I did a full on pec workout.

Anyone else have this problem? My bro and I have had this condition our entire life. Been outrageously sore forever. Been lifting since 14 (we're 30 now).

I went to see my Dr. recently and brought it up (have insurance now). He's a nephrologist (had some kidney issues, but ended up A-OK!). I told him my deal and the throwing darts crap and he was in awe. He said he's heard of these rare cases, but only in medical school. My bro and I have elevated CPK (Creatine Kinase) levels (200-650), but he said that's from working out. He had me take a blood draw for a test for carnitine plasma levels. They ended up on the low side. He said for me to take carnitine supp. for 12 months then go back to see him. WTF! Thanks dude. I've been on carnitine (500mg 2x/day) and NOTHING.

Anyone have input here?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
try anti-inflammatory foods like fatty fish, fish oil, olive oil. fruits and vegitables etc. Not Medical Advice though please talk to your doctor more.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
try anti-inflammatory foods like fatty fish, fish oil, olive oil. fruits and vegitables etc. Not Medical Advice though please talk to your doctor more.
Ya, I've taken all of that. I eat a bag of veggies per day (or loads of salad). I eat cod & halibut. I use olive oil when I cook regular foods (in moderation). 1-1.5g protein per lb. bodyweight (180-250g/day). I used to take Ibuprofren, but that didn't do jack. Doc said to get off it anyways since it can restrict blood flow to kidneys. Fine by me!.

Thanks for your input tho bro.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Wish i could have helped more, good luck man

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Good to see popularized misconceptions still abound. The goal of weightlifting as it pertains to bodybuilding is to produce a stimulus for growth: not damage the muscles to the point of constant soreness. DOMS is an indication of extensive damage and the body must then repair this damage before increased myosin and actin filaments and crossbridges can be constructed.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ya, I've taken all of that. I eat a bag of veggies per day (or loads of salad). I eat cod & halibut. I use olive oil when I cook regular foods (in moderation). 1-1.5g protein per lb. bodyweight (180-250g/day). I used to take Ibuprofren, but that didn't do jack. Doc said to get off it anyways since it can restrict blood flow to kidneys. Fine by me!.

Thanks for your input tho bro.
Do you also have pains when you do not do any stressful exercises?

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Do you also have pains when you do not do any stressful exercises?
Well, I get sore from throwing darts. Is that "stressful exercise"? I don't think so. If you were asking whether or not I get sore from merely sitting around, no.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Good to see popularized misconceptions still abound. The goal of weightlifting as it pertains to bodybuilding is to produce a stimulus for growth: not damage the muscles to the point of constant soreness. DOMS is an indication of extensive damage and the body must then repair this damage before increased myosin and actin filaments and crossbridges can be constructed.
Not sure who you're referring to, but since I get sore so easily, I don't workout until I'm all healed. So I workout ~2x/week. That's the reason why I'm working on trying to figure out workouts that'll allow me to NOT get sore too much so I can hit the gym more frequently. I am trying high rep workouts (upper-body one day, lower-body the next). I've cut the amount of weight I use substantially, as well as the # of sets and exercises/muscle group.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, I get sore from throwing darts. Is that "stressful exercise"? I don't think so. If you were asking whether or not I get sore from merely sitting around, no.
Understood. I would have suspected a form of fibromyalgia.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not sure who you're referring to, but since I get sore so easily, I don't workout until I'm all healed. So I workout ~2x/week. That's the reason why I'm working on trying to figure out workouts that'll allow me to NOT get sore too much so I can hit the gym more frequently. I am trying high rep workouts (upper-body one day, lower-body the next). I've cut the amount of weight I use substantially, as well as the # of sets and exercises/muscle group.
something that helped signficantly for me DOMs wise was using Somnidren-GH prebed. doms basically disappear entirely when I use it as a bedtime supp.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
General reference not directed towards anyone in particular though applicable to several posters in this thread. I could only speculate that you may have some genetic condition that disposes your towards DOMs. Medical professionals are the only ones competent to diagnose your condition and offer a course of action. I would be leery of accepting anyone's advice as your condition may be unique. Hopefully these professionals will be able to ascertain your condition and propose a proper course of treatment. Keep us abreast of your situation.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
I'll look into Somnidren-GH. Thanks for the heads-up.

ERSATZ, I'm thinking I have a genetic condition too. I may seek the advice of a sports physician. Not sure if I want to wait a year for my Nephrologist to do anything. DOMS like this sucks.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It certainly sounds like you are suffering from some sort of ailment that may require medical intervention. Obviously you want to explore all avenues to find out what's wrong but be cautious too. I normally make some recommendations for those with DOMS but I am hesitant here. No one would want to recommend something that could cause you potential harm. I also wish you the best and hope it's nothing serious and turns out to be some easily manageable.

jdev

Awards
  • Established
try xtend. the BCAAs and glutamine help with soreness. however it sounds like your case is extreme
when I had pretty bad DOMS and was doing rippetoe (squats every other day) I was told to just work through it and my body would adjust. I have less DOMS now even though im using DC now.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
try xtend. the BCAAs and glutamine help with soreness. however it sounds like your case is extreme
when I had pretty bad DOMS and was doing rippetoe (squats every other day) I was told to just work through it and my body would adjust. I have less DOMS now even though im using DC now.

I've been on gluatmine and BCAAs in the past. I have some new glutamine coming soon since I'm cutting. I still get stupid sore tho.

Tonight I might shoot some pool. I don't think I'll get sore from that! :rofl: