Is DOMS good or bad?? My situation.

  1. New Member
    freakabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    136
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    51.98%

    Is DOMS good or bad?? My situation.


    okay so I just started taking Activate Extreme and Lean Extreme about a week ago.

    Activate - 4 caps/day
    Lean - 2 caps/day.

    I would be bumping dosage up soon.

    One very significant thing I notice is that for the past few days, I have experienced almost NO DOMS AT ALL!!!

    I am pretty sure it was because of either these 2 supps because my diet is exactly the same(with the exception of maybe more steaks), and training routine and timing is all the same.

    I always get a DOMS effect whenever I wake up the day after my workout.

    I just want to ask what is causing this? And is DOMS GOOD OR BAD??


    THanks!!!:good:

  2. New Member
    MacTech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    58
    Posts
    311
    Rep Power
    240
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    50.32%

    IMO, too much DOMS is bad.

    No DOMS would indicate, to me, that I did not work hard enough.
  3. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,522
    Rep Power
    41252
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.39%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
    IMO, too much DOMS is bad.

    No DOMS would indicate, to me, that I did not work hard enough.
    Definitely agreed, although sometimes I do put in a hard workout and don't feel the DOMS. Whenever I throw in an exercise I haven't done in a while, I can feel the DOMS in that muscle the next day which I like to see.

    As for the OP, I don't see exactly how these 2 supplements could lead to such a quick improvement in recovery, but if you indeed notice this to be the case, you may have found a supplement your body responds very well to!
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    freakabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    136
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    51.98%

    i dunno man, but i'm sure it was either AX or LX or Superpump250 which I just added.


    Another question:

    Can I do 8 weeks of both AX and LX?? 4 weeks on 2 weeks off 4 weeks on again? WIll there be any side effects? I don't want any.


    P.S. I'm producing very very good tummy fat loss on LX man.. really a great product.
  5. Registered User
    OCCFan023's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,789
    Rep Power
    2003
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    48.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    DOMS are not an indicator of increased muscle growth or superior workouts.
  6. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2671
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    DOMS are not an indicator of increased muscle growth or superior workouts.
    Correct, you feel doms when your body has an inflammatory response to exercise. Arachidonic Acid (AA) is an essential fatty acid that is stored in muscle tissue and upon exercise is released from your body causing the inflammatory response. Once a muscle has adapted to an exercise, or runs out of AA it will no longer become inflamed after exercise. That is why when you do any exercise that you haven't done in a while, you feel sore because your body has a store of AA there. For example, trying doing one legged leg presses (assuming no one really ever dose these) and you will most likely feel sore in your inner and outer thigh because they will be engaged for stabilization. Also you may want to increase your consumption of foods like eggs, beef liver, and steak that are high in AA.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  7. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774633
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    25.27%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    It might be refreshing to take a look at this thread: DOMS Treatments (long but good)
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  8. New Member
    MacTech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    58
    Posts
    311
    Rep Power
    240
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    50.32%

    Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    DOMS are not an indicator of increased muscle growth or superior workouts.
    No, it's not.

    But without an inflammatory response in your muscle tissue, there will be no hypertrophy. This sets off your immune system to do its work and puts the repair process in motion.
  9. Senior Member
    papapumpsd's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,733
    Rep Power
    1073
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    13.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Correct, you feel doms when your body has an inflammatory response to exercise. Arachidonic Acid (AA) is an essential fatty acid that is stored in muscle tissue and upon exercise is released from your body causing the inflammatory response. Once a muscle has adapted to an exercise, or runs out of AA it will no longer become inflamed after exercise. That is why when you do any exercise that you haven't done in a while, you feel sore because your body has a store of AA there. For example, trying doing one legged leg presses (assuming no one really ever dose these) and you will most likely feel sore in your inner and outer thigh because they will be engaged for stabilization. Also you may want to increase your consumption of foods like eggs, beef liver, and steak that are high in AA.
    Guys, I need some help here. I have outrageous DOMS, as does my identical twin bro. We get sore from nearly doing nothing. In fact, I threw a few games of darts Fri. night, and come Sat. morning, my brachialis (bicep side muslce) was sore. This happened to me before when I threw darts. When we go bowling, our obliques, wrists, delt (on throwing side) are destroyed. When we workout, FORGET IT, we're worthess for days. For example, when I used to go somewhat heavy on squats and go a$$ to the grass, my legs would be so destroyed the following day or two that I could barely use them. I would have to use the handrails on the stairs to "walk" myself down using my hands/shoulders. Legs barely worked. Getting into my car was excruciating. The soreness would last for 5-7 days.

    I'm in the process of trying to tone my workouts down. I did chest/bis/traps/abs/lateral delts yesterday (Sunday). For chest, I only did: BENCH: 135lbs (15) x1, 225lbs (12) x 2, inclined DB flies: 50lbs (12) x 1, 55lbs (12) x 1. That's it. My pecs and the delt/pec tie-in area are hammered. Although, not as sore as if I did a full on pec workout.

    Anyone else have this problem? My bro and I have had this condition our entire life. Been outrageously sore forever. Been lifting since 14 (we're 30 now).

    I went to see my Dr. recently and brought it up (have insurance now). He's a nephrologist (had some kidney issues, but ended up A-OK!). I told him my deal and the throwing darts crap and he was in awe. He said he's heard of these rare cases, but only in medical school. My bro and I have elevated CPK (Creatine Kinase) levels (200-650), but he said that's from working out. He had me take a blood draw for a test for carnitine plasma levels. They ended up on the low side. He said for me to take carnitine supp. for 12 months then go back to see him. WTF! Thanks dude. I've been on carnitine (500mg 2x/day) and NOTHING.

    Anyone have input here?
  10. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2671
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    try anti-inflammatory foods like fatty fish, fish oil, olive oil. fruits and vegitables etc. Not Medical Advice though please talk to your doctor more.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  11. Senior Member
    papapumpsd's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,733
    Rep Power
    1073
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    13.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    try anti-inflammatory foods like fatty fish, fish oil, olive oil. fruits and vegitables etc. Not Medical Advice though please talk to your doctor more.
    Ya, I've taken all of that. I eat a bag of veggies per day (or loads of salad). I eat cod & halibut. I use olive oil when I cook regular foods (in moderation). 1-1.5g protein per lb. bodyweight (180-250g/day). I used to take Ibuprofren, but that didn't do jack. Doc said to get off it anyways since it can restrict blood flow to kidneys. Fine by me!.

    Thanks for your input tho bro.
  12. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2671
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Wish i could have helped more, good luck man
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  13. Senior Member
    ersatz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,311
    Rep Power
    788
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    74.49%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Good to see popularized misconceptions still abound. The goal of weightlifting as it pertains to bodybuilding is to produce a stimulus for growth: not damage the muscles to the point of constant soreness. DOMS is an indication of extensive damage and the body must then repair this damage before increased myosin and actin filaments and crossbridges can be constructed.
  14. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774633
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    25.27%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by papapumpsd View Post
    Ya, I've taken all of that. I eat a bag of veggies per day (or loads of salad). I eat cod & halibut. I use olive oil when I cook regular foods (in moderation). 1-1.5g protein per lb. bodyweight (180-250g/day). I used to take Ibuprofren, but that didn't do jack. Doc said to get off it anyways since it can restrict blood flow to kidneys. Fine by me!.

    Thanks for your input tho bro.
    Do you also have pains when you do not do any stressful exercises?
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  15. Senior Member
    papapumpsd's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,733
    Rep Power
    1073
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    13.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    Do you also have pains when you do not do any stressful exercises?
    Well, I get sore from throwing darts. Is that "stressful exercise"? I don't think so. If you were asking whether or not I get sore from merely sitting around, no.
  16. Senior Member
    papapumpsd's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,733
    Rep Power
    1073
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    13.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
    Good to see popularized misconceptions still abound. The goal of weightlifting as it pertains to bodybuilding is to produce a stimulus for growth: not damage the muscles to the point of constant soreness. DOMS is an indication of extensive damage and the body must then repair this damage before increased myosin and actin filaments and crossbridges can be constructed.
    Not sure who you're referring to, but since I get sore so easily, I don't workout until I'm all healed. So I workout ~2x/week. That's the reason why I'm working on trying to figure out workouts that'll allow me to NOT get sore too much so I can hit the gym more frequently. I am trying high rep workouts (upper-body one day, lower-body the next). I've cut the amount of weight I use substantially, as well as the # of sets and exercises/muscle group.
  17. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774633
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    25.27%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by papapumpsd View Post
    Well, I get sore from throwing darts. Is that "stressful exercise"? I don't think so. If you were asking whether or not I get sore from merely sitting around, no.
    Understood. I would have suspected a form of fibromyalgia.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  18. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by papapumpsd View Post
    Not sure who you're referring to, but since I get sore so easily, I don't workout until I'm all healed. So I workout ~2x/week. That's the reason why I'm working on trying to figure out workouts that'll allow me to NOT get sore too much so I can hit the gym more frequently. I am trying high rep workouts (upper-body one day, lower-body the next). I've cut the amount of weight I use substantially, as well as the # of sets and exercises/muscle group.
    something that helped signficantly for me DOMs wise was using Somnidren-GH prebed. doms basically disappear entirely when I use it as a bedtime supp.
  19. Senior Member
    ersatz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,311
    Rep Power
    788
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    74.49%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by papapumpsd View Post
    Not sure who you're referring to, but since I get sore so easily, I don't workout until I'm all healed. So I workout ~2x/week. That's the reason why I'm working on trying to figure out workouts that'll allow me to NOT get sore too much so I can hit the gym more frequently. I am trying high rep workouts (upper-body one day, lower-body the next). I've cut the amount of weight I use substantially, as well as the # of sets and exercises/muscle group.
    General reference not directed towards anyone in particular though applicable to several posters in this thread. I could only speculate that you may have some genetic condition that disposes your towards DOMs. Medical professionals are the only ones competent to diagnose your condition and offer a course of action. I would be leery of accepting anyone's advice as your condition may be unique. Hopefully these professionals will be able to ascertain your condition and propose a proper course of treatment. Keep us abreast of your situation.
  20. Senior Member
    papapumpsd's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,733
    Rep Power
    1073
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    13.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I'll look into Somnidren-GH. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ERSATZ, I'm thinking I have a genetic condition too. I may seek the advice of a sports physician. Not sure if I want to wait a year for my Nephrologist to do anything. DOMS like this sucks.
  21. Board Sponsor
    Wanderlei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    255
    Rep Power
    252
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    42.21%

    It certainly sounds like you are suffering from some sort of ailment that may require medical intervention. Obviously you want to explore all avenues to find out what's wrong but be cautious too. I normally make some recommendations for those with DOMS but I am hesitant here. No one would want to recommend something that could cause you potential harm. I also wish you the best and hope it's nothing serious and turns out to be some easily manageable.
  22. Advanced Member
    jdev's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    611
    Rep Power
    433
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    98.85%

    try xtend. the BCAAs and glutamine help with soreness. however it sounds like your case is extreme
    when I had pretty bad DOMS and was doing rippetoe (squats every other day) I was told to just work through it and my body would adjust. I have less DOMS now even though im using DC now.
  23. Senior Member
    papapumpsd's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,733
    Rep Power
    1073
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    13.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jdev View Post
    try xtend. the BCAAs and glutamine help with soreness. however it sounds like your case is extreme
    when I had pretty bad DOMS and was doing rippetoe (squats every other day) I was told to just work through it and my body would adjust. I have less DOMS now even though im using DC now.

    I've been on gluatmine and BCAAs in the past. I have some new glutamine coming soon since I'm cutting. I still get stupid sore tho.

    Tonight I might shoot some pool. I don't think I'll get sore from that!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. unbearable DOMS!!!
    By hondizzle420 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 02:50 AM
  2. DOMS Treatments (long but good)
    By Matthew D in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 08:53 PM
  3. DOMS already?
    By pump3d in forum Molecular Nutrition
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 12:05 PM
  4. Doms
    By Sticks in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in