Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass

B

brandon615

Awards
lookin for user feedback. results/taste.
Also 40g sugars? too much?

ProAnabolics

ProAnabolics

Awards
I haven't personally used it, but 40 grams of sugar I guess isn't to bad, it depends. There are cleaner mass gainers out there in terms of sugar, but the sugar will add calories to. I guess it depends on what you feel comfortable with. If your looking to mass up though I don't think it could hurt to much.

C

cantstop19

Awards
imo i would go with the pro complex gainer, its a much better overall weight gainer its only got 6g of sugar thats your best bet its got whey for fast acting protein and casein for slow acting proteins thats your best bet

B

brandon615

Awards
Thanks man. I was lookin for somethin high in calories and came across this. I will look into it tho

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
I think you would be better off making your own gainer. All you really need is a blender, whey/casein, oats, and milk. other options include fruit, PB, cottage cheese, nuts, and yogurt.

This would be better nutritionally and you would be able to adjust the macros to fit your needs.

C

cantstop19

Awards
yea just check into it its not always about the calories cause usually in high calorie shakes like that its bad calories, pro complex gainer is they way to go

W

wilson199

I have already finished 2 12lbs bags. In that period i have gained about 20 pounds. Now i cant say all of this comes from eating protein, but normally i do have hard time putting on the pounds. The taste is alright... i am thinking about vanilla next. Adding milk makes it clump up pretty bad, but it is more shake like. The scoop is ridiculous. I usually take 1 scoop in the morning and 1 after working out. While the price of the 12 pound bag is cheap, it goes real quick. there is only like 13 servings (2 scoops per serving). That the only bad part i can say. I currently live in a dorm so i dont have a blender. but i recommended getting whey protein and adding oatmeal and pb. itll be cheaper in the long run. good luck with it

T

Tiny Man

Awards
lookin for user feedback. results/taste.
Also 40g sugars? too much?
From standard gainers... my opinion is that Optimum Nutrition's is not a far cry from your standard maltodextrin/whey combo. You're talking about a micronutritionally devoid sugar compared to a micronutritionally devoid ALMOST a sugar. I had a bag of the chocolate, it tasted decent but nothing great.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I bought some today. Chocolate. Cost me $26
Put 1 serving(2 scoops) in the blender, with milk and some peanut butter.The taste was really good.

I'll try out a bag of 2 and see where it gets me. I have a very hard time putting on the pounds.

M

maradona10

Awards
I think you would be better off making your own gainer. All you really need is a blender, whey/casein, oats, and milk. other options include fruit, PB, cottage cheese, nuts, and yogurt.

This would be better nutritionally and you would be able to adjust the macros to fit your needs.

This is the way to go...much cheaper!!

If you look at any of the gainers out there, the amount of servings you get is really small. So, they are not cheap at all

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i used the chocolate once.

youll need to start out with half a serving (1scoop) a full serving is alot to start with trust me.

Definately use a blender. Its been awhile but i think i would use half milk half water and add Peanut butter, sometimes other stuff. It puts on the pounds and for the amount you are taking in 40g of sugar isnt much compared to other gainers. I think its a good buy but a cheaper solution is like what others said....a homemade gainer, but if youre lazy then this stuff would be my pick. Good price imo and full of vitamins.

B

brandon615

Awards
Its a toss up between cytogainer, ON serious mass, and ON pro complex gainer. (all vanilla)

Suggestions?

T

Tiny Man

Awards
Its a toss up between cytogainer, ON serious mass, and ON pro complex gainer. (all vanilla)

Suggestions?
I'd rate them in that exact order actually, from top to bottom. Profile stance... I really have a jaded look on gainer products, and the profiles look very similar to me; I tend to disregard portions of profiles in terms of how important they are. Cytogainer tasted good/decent price, SM is a good price and ok taste, Pro Complex Gainer fails to impress me on the price to benefit.

B

brandon615

Awards
I'd rate them in that exact order actually, from top to bottom. Profile stance... I really have a jaded look on gainer products, and the profiles look very similar to me; I tend to disregard portions of profiles in terms of how important they are. Cytogainer tasted good/decent price, SM is a good price and ok taste, Pro Complex Gainer fails to impress me on the price to benefit.
Yeh when i saw the price of pro complex gainer i was like wtf:think:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Suggestions?
ive tried all three and cytogainer seems like the "healthiest" but ON serious mass gave the most weight gain for what you pay. the complex gainer is just not worth it imo.

psychobabble

psychobabble

Awards
  • Established
i had bad expirence w/ ON serious mass .. best thing to do is .. take 1/2 at once then another 1/2 later ..worked better .. i tried drinkin 1 serving at once .. and jus had stomach problems. do you have a vitamin shoppe retailer near u ?

K

ksa

Awards
  • Established
its 20g sugar. I think its better to blend 1 scoop with skim milk & 2tbsp peanut butter. This would lower SM sugars to 10 (b4 adding milk).

if Fructose is ok check muscle juice.

T

Tiny Man

Awards
i had bad expirence w/ ON serious mass .. best thing to do is .. take 1/2 at once then another 1/2 later ..worked better .. i tried drinkin 1 serving at once .. and jus had stomach problems. do you have a vitamin shoppe retailer near u ?
Actually, that's how I recommend taking almost any weight gainer - and SM is no exception to my rule of thumb. I usually divide down gainer calories to be 350-500 (depending), then mix that with milk. You can easily be anywhere from 400-600 calories depending, usually without feeling bloated, overly full, or GI upset. You may be having trouble with the lactose content of SM when taking a full serving (lactase is not just present or not present in the body - it can be present in varying levels), however there are still other possibilities.

A

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
40g sugar isn't too much? Unless your a hardgainer like myself I wouldn't suggest anyone else using that unless you want to put on some fat pounds too. Like mentioned there are cleaner weight gainers. I have to actually pick up a weight gainer for a cycle coming up but it sure ain't going to have 40g of sugar.

B

brandon615

Awards
Thanks for all the help you guys. Yeh i will probly split the doses like suggested.

psychobabble

psychobabble

Awards
  • Established
Actually, that's how I recommend taking almost any weight gainer - and SM is no exception to my rule of thumb. I usually divide down gainer calories to be 350-500 (depending), then mix that with milk. You can easily be anywhere from 400-600 calories depending, usually without feeling bloated, overly full, or GI upset. You may be having trouble with the lactose content of SM when taking a full serving (lactase is not just present or not present in the body - it can be present in varying levels), however there are still other possibilities.
yahh i learned it the hard way .. now i make a 1000cal drink ..and im doing what u suggested ..works great

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Heres the best weight gain shake..

2 scoop whey
2 tbsp PB
2 tbsp honey
2 cup oats
skim or whatever milk you prefer and throw in any extra aminos you'd like.

Then a banana or strawberries is nice, depends on what flavor whey you have..

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I've made my own gainer before like the ones stated above, and this is the first time I've bought a specific weight gainer product.

I'm pleased with it so far. I drink it(the blender full) in about 3 servings. All at once would be a monumental task.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
I've made my own gainer before like the ones stated above, and this is the first time I've bought a specific weight gainer product.

I'm pleased with it so far. I drink it(the blender full) in about 3 servings. All at once would be a monumental task.
Haha yeah I know what you mean.

When I first started lifting I saw NLarge2 on sale and I'd try to chug the 4 scoops+strawberries and a banana right after my workout.. ouch that hurt. Lol.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I love mixing the chocolate with scoops of PB. It really does taste very good. I think I might have just found a staple product.

I ordered some for our store yesterday.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
even tho i know the low down on weight gainers and how you can make effective homemade gainers i still have thought about picking this stuff up again.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
Heres the best weight gain shake..

2 scoop whey
2 tbsp PB
2 tbsp honey
2 cup oats
skim or whatever milk you prefer and throw in any extra aminos you'd like.

Then a banana or strawberries is nice, depends on what flavor whey you have..
I second this. But if you want premixed On Pro Complex Lean gainer.

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i used it a few years ago.. its a decent taste... the best gainer is REAL GAINS