Beta-alanine: overrated.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Amino Acids. 2008 Jan 4 [Epub ahead of print] Links
The effects of 10 weeks of resistance training combined with beta-alanine supplementation on whole body strength, force production, muscular endurance and body composition.

Kendrick IP, Harris RC, Kim HJ, Kim CK, Dang VH, Lam TQ, Bui TT, Smith M, Wise JA.
University of Chichester, College Lane, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 6PE, UK, [email protected].

Carnosine (Carn) occurs in high concentrations in skeletal muscle is a potent physico-chemical buffer of H(+) over the physiological range. Recent research has demonstrated that 6.4 g.day(-1) of beta-alanine (beta-ala) can significantly increase skeletal muscle Carn concentrations (M-[Carn]) whilst the resultant change in buffering capacity has been shown to be paralleled by significant improvements in anaerobic and aerobic measures of exercise performance. Muscle carnosine increase has also been linked to increased work done during resistance training. Prior research has suggested that strength training may also increase M-[Carn] although this is disputed by other studies. The aim of this investigation is to assess the effect of 10 weeks resistance training on M-[Carn], and, secondly, to investigate if increased M-[Carn] brought about through beta-ala supplementation had a positive effect on training responses. Twenty-six Vietnamese sports science students completed the study. The subjects completed a 10-week resistance-training program whilst consuming 6.4 g.day(-1) of beta-ala (beta-ALG) or a matched dose of a placebo (PLG). Subjects were assessed prior to and after training for whole body strength, isokinetic force production, muscular endurance, body composition. beta-Alanine supplemented subjects increased M-[Carn] by 12.81 +/- 7.97 mmol.kg(-1) dry muscle whilst there was no change in PLG subjects. There was no significant effect of beta-ala supplementation on any of the exercise parameters measured, mass or % body fat. In conclusion, 10 weeks of resistance training alone did not change M-[Carn].

Appl Physiol. 2007 Nov;103(5):1736-43. Epub 2007 Aug 9. Links
beta-Alanine supplementation augments muscle carnosine content and attenuates fatigue during repeated isokinetic contraction bouts in trained sprinters.Derave W, Ozdemir MS, Harris RC, Pottier A, Reyngoudt H, Koppo K, Wise JA, Achten E.
Dept. of Movement and Sport Sciences, Ghent Univ., Watersportlaan 2, B-9000 Ghent, Belgium. [email protected]

Carnosine (beta-alanyl-l-histidine) is present in high concentrations in human skeletal muscle. The ingestion of beta-alanine, the rate-limiting precursor of carnosine, has been shown to elevate the muscle carnosine content. We aimed to investigate, using proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy (proton MRS), whether oral supplementation with beta-alanine during 4 wk would elevate the calf muscle carnosine content and affect exercise performance in 400-m sprint-trained competitive athletes. Fifteen male athletes participated in a placebo-controlled, double-blind study and were supplemented orally for 4 wk with either 4.8 g/day beta-alanine or placebo. Muscle carnosine concentration was quantified in soleus and gastrocnemius by proton MRS. Performance was evaluated by isokinetic testing during five bouts of 30 maximal voluntary knee extensions, by endurance during isometric contraction at 45% maximal voluntary contraction, and by the indoor 400-m running time. beta-Alanine supplementation significantly increased the carnosine content in both the soleus (+47%) and gastrocnemius (+37%). In placebo, carnosine remained stable in soleus, while a small and significant increase of +16% occurred in gastrocnemius. Dynamic knee extension torque during the fourth and fifth bout was significantly improved with beta-alanine but not with placebo. Isometric endurance and 400-m race time were not affected by treatment. In conclusion, 1) proton MRS can be used to noninvasively quantify human muscle carnosine content; 2) muscle carnosine is increased by oral beta-alanine supplementation in sprint-trained athletes; 3) carnosine loading slightly but significantly attenuated fatigue in repeated bouts of exhaustive dynamic contractions; and 4) the increase in muscle carnosine did not improve isometric endurance or 400-m race time.

So it attenuates fatigue but doesn't really do anything for strength or endurance. I guess in specific isolated settings (ie in a study) it has it's benefits. Overrated as a supp in my opinion. I tried 6 grams daily for 3 weeks and have ZERO positive effects by any measures whatsoever.

Still not convincing me that 4.8 or 6.4 grams - which are (for the most part in beta-alanine supplements) WELL underdosed are superior in any way to creatine for strength and positive increases in endurance and size.

THis is after reading the studies and other references for specific manufacturers of the products.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The effects of 10 weeks of resistance training combined with beta-alanine supplementation on whole body strength, force production, muscular endurance and body composition.

Kendrick IP, Harris RC, Kim HJ, Kim CK, Dang VH, Lam TQ, Bui TT, Smith M, Wise JA.
University of Chichester, College Lane, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 6PE, UK, [email protected].

Carnosine (Carn) occurs in high concentrations in skeletal muscle is a potent physico-chemical buffer of H(+) over the physiological range. Recent research has demonstrated that 6.4 g.day(-1) of beta-alanine (beta-ala) can significantly increase skeletal muscle Carn concentrations (M-[Carn]) whilst the resultant change in buffering capacity has been shown to be paralleled by significant improvements in anaerobic and aerobic measures of exercise performance. Muscle carnosine increase has also been linked to increased work done during resistance training. Prior research has suggested that strength training may also increase M-[Carn] although this is disputed by other studies. The aim of this investigation is to assess the effect of 10 weeks resistance training on M-[Carn], and, secondly, to investigate if increased M-[Carn] brought about through beta-ala supplementation had a positive effect on training responses. Twenty-six Vietnamese sports science students completed the study. The subjects completed a 10-week resistance-training program whilst consuming 6.4 g.day(-1) of beta-ala (beta-ALG) or a matched dose of a placebo (PLG). Subjects were assessed prior to and after training for whole body strength, isokinetic force production, muscular endurance, body composition. beta-Alanine supplemented subjects increased M-[Carn] by 12.81 +/- 7.97 mmol.kg(-1) dry muscle whilst there was no change in PLG subjects. There was no significant effect of beta-ala supplementation on any of the exercise parameters measured, mass or % body fat. In conclusion, 10 weeks of resistance training alone did not change M-[Carn].

beta-Alanine supplementation augments muscle carnosine content and attenuates fatigue during repeated isokinetic contraction bouts in trained sprinters.Derave W, Ozdemir MS, Harris RC, Pottier A, Reyngoudt H, Koppo K, Wise JA, Achten E.
Dept. of Movement and Sport Sciences, Ghent Univ., Watersportlaan 2, B-9000 Ghent, Belgium. [email protected]

Carnosine (beta-alanyl-l-histidine) is present in high concentrations in human skeletal muscle. The ingestion of beta-alanine, the rate-limiting precursor of carnosine, has been shown to elevate the muscle carnosine content. We aimed to investigate, using proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy (proton MRS), whether oral supplementation with beta-alanine during 4 wk would elevate the calf muscle carnosine content and affect exercise performance in 400-m sprint-trained competitive athletes. Fifteen male athletes participated in a placebo-controlled, double-blind study and were supplemented orally for 4 wk with either 4.8 g/day beta-alanine or placebo. Muscle carnosine concentration was quantified in soleus and gastrocnemius by proton MRS. Performance was evaluated by isokinetic testing during five bouts of 30 maximal voluntary knee extensions, by endurance during isometric contraction at 45% maximal voluntary contraction, and by the indoor 400-m running time. beta-Alanine supplementation significantly increased the carnosine content in both the soleus (+47%) and gastrocnemius (+37%). In placebo, carnosine remained stable in soleus, while a small and significant increase of +16% occurred in gastrocnemius. Dynamic knee extension torque during the fourth and fifth bout was significantly improved with beta-alanine but not with placebo. Isometric endurance and 400-m race time were not affected by treatment. In conclusion, 1) proton MRS can be used to noninvasively quantify human muscle carnosine content; 2) muscle carnosine is increased by oral beta-alanine supplementation in sprint-trained athletes; 3) carnosine loading slightly but significantly attenuated fatigue in repeated bouts of exhaustive dynamic contractions; and 4) the increase in muscle carnosine did not improve isometric endurance or 400-m race time.

So it attenuates fatigue but doesn't really do anything for strength or endurance. I guess in specific isolated settings (ie in a study) it has it's benefits. Overrated as a supp in my opinion. I tried 6 grams daily for 3 weeks and have ZERO positive effects by any measures whatsoever.

Still not convincing me that 4.8 or 6.4 grams - which are (for the most part in beta-alanine supplements) WELL underdosed are superior in any way to creatine for strength and positive increases in endurance and size.

THis is after reading the studies and other references for specific manufacturers of the products.
I combine beta-alanine and creatine mono for pre and post-workout. I can't say 100% whether BA had a positive impact on strength, but it makes it much easier to maintain high intensity without wanting to just give up. I used to take just creatine mono, and it seems like I put on muscle/water weight much more easily with the combination than without the BA.

I never understood why a lactic acid buffer would increase strength in the first place, always thought it would just prolong endurance.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Theres large amounts of studies and trials with beta alanine out there. I personally find I notice very beneficial aspects from it both from a lifting perspective and overall athletic standpoint. From my experience I noted increased aerobic endurance as well as anaerobic increases within the first 6 weeks (6 grams a day around workouts.) I have yet to try it in combo with Creatine Mono but have high hopes.

IMO although it may be becoming a somehwat hyped supplement, it does what it says it can in myself and I know many others on here felt similar responses. I am not questioning if it worked for you (because not everything will) but I wouldn't classify it as over rated based on that.

My personal favorite write up/info on BA:
TESTOSTERONE NATION

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Oooo... If Zombie were here he'd be raising all kinds of hell. He eats that stuff like candy.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
wow one study says it doesn't work :rolleyes:

there are plenty out there documenting the effectiveness of BA and OCC hit that perfectly and some may not respond to it but not everything works to full effect for every1... :cool:

and dude 3 weeks?? did you read any of the literature stating that it takes time to rise your carnosine levels? I hardly notice anything(other than pumps and recovery) until about 4-6 weeks in. At that point workouts increase pretty incredibly for endurance and strength :D

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established

I dont have doubts that ba its very overrated, I also posted(on bb.com) some studies that said that supplementing with ba its useless for bodybuilders that have a correct nutrition and I almost got banned from bb.com(I`m exaggerating but a lot of people was against me just for posting the studies).
What I personally think its that there's a lot of hype from supplement companies to sell this "new" supplement just like it was with zma and tribulus(the latest studies show that this babies don't work as they told us)

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dont have doubts that ba its very overrated, I also posted(on bb.com) some studies that said that supplementing with ba its useless for bodybuilders that have a correct nutrition and I almost got banned from bb.com(I`m exaggerating but a lot of people was against me just for posting the studies).
What I personally think its that there's a lot of hype from supplement companies to sell this "new" supplement just like it was with zma and tribulus(the latest studies show that this babies don't work as they told us)
You do realize that there is plenty of evidence it does work? I can maybe see that some companies are hyping it but BA has been around for some time now already its just now that EVERYONE is trying to get in on it bc it is effective.

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
You do realize that there is plenty of evidence it does work? I can maybe see that some companies are hyping it but BA has been around for some time now already its just now that EVERYONE is trying to get in on it bc it is effective.
no offense but I see that you`re a company rep and I`m sorry for seeing your posts with some skepticism but what I see nowadays its studies that show that it works and others that show the contrary so people believe who they want...
In my case when I tried for 2 months I haven't seen that it Worth the money so I`ll never buy BA solo supps again .
So my advise here is try it and see for yourself...

Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Awards
Take BA for a couple months and then get off of it, you'll see how "overrated" it is for yourself.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
no offense but I see that you`re a company rep and I`m sorry for seeing your posts with some skepticism but what I see nowadays its studies that show that it works and others that show the contrary so people believe who they want...
In my case when I tried for 2 months I haven't seen that it Worth the money so I`ll never buy BA solo supps again .
So my advise here is try it and see for yourself...
Ok i can feel you on that. First, just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work. Plenty of people feel creatine mono doesn't work and there is plenty of literature to say it does. Second, if you look at my post history you will see i only recently have been a rep but i loved BA before repping for Nimbus. I understand the skepticism though and i think more people need to be skeptical of what people say. :thumbsup:

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
Ok i can feel you on that. First, just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work. Plenty of people feel creatine mono doesn't work and there is plenty of literature to say it does. Second, if you look at my post history you will see i only recently have been a rep but i loved BA before repping for Nimbus. I understand the skepticism though and i think more people need to be skeptical of what people say. :thumbsup:
no problem my friend and I agree that people should try it(as I posted before) what didn't worked for me can work for others but studies that show ba works should be as valid as the studies that say that ba don't work

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
no problem my friend and I agree that people should try it(as I posted before) what didn't worked for me can work for others but studies that show ba works should be as valid as the studies that say that ba don't work
alrite i agree with you i don't want you to think i was being agressive :duel:

it might just be that pic of kakarot in your avi :mad:

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
I have done a literature search and have access to entire articles, or atleaset 95% of those that are medically related and have not found ANY concrete evidence, other than a number of invitro molecular biology studies and a handful of in vivo mouse, rat and rat heart models. The human studies are quite poor to say the least. The two posted above were merely examples.

Point me to the evidence in a peer reviewed journal that substantiates BA to the point it can be well argued that it can do what the manufacturers claim. it can't be done.

it is IMPOSSIBLE to directly correlate the addition of a substrate involved in a particular point in a metabolic cycle to have a dose related impact based on a an in vitro model, which is a controlled microenvironment. Throw it in the milieu of our cells (after having been suject to our GI tract) and the formula changes.

:pizza:

I tried it for about 3 weeks just because TO GET 6 GRAMS DAILY I basically had to triple dose the servings! Highly underdosed and hence, adding to its overrated attribute as a supplement IMO.

Heck if it works for some, then keep it up. 60 bucks a month to feel less sore and get zero gains in size OR strength is hard to swallow.

As for improvements that may have been noted, placebo is a helluva drug. :head:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
FYI folks - Deer is a doctor. Not sure what kind.

Deer - thanks for your posts bro. Love having you around.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I tried it for about 3 weeks just because TO GET 6 GRAMS DAILY I basically had to triple dose the servings! Highly underdosed and hence, adding to its overrated attribute as a supplement IMO.

Heck if it works for some, then keep it up. 60 bucks a month to feel less sore and get zero gains in size OR strength is hard to swallow.

As for improvements that may have been noted, placebo is a helluva drug. :head:

Trueprotein has BA for 7.99/100g. 5.99 if you buy 5 packs.

I prefer their Beta-Focus product which is BA, BCAA's and other goodies.

It's a cheap, long-term effective supplement.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
FYI folks - Deer is a doctor. Not sure what kind.

Deer - thanks for your posts bro. Love having you around.
You have to understand everything Deer does is so high performance and his body is soooooo fine tuned he cant tell a difference.... Have you seen his pic dam that deer is crazy!!!

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
There are so many studies out there of EVERYTHING. Also there is SO many people on here that have shown it tried and true.. so I seriously doubt it is overated.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Trueprotein has BA for 7.99/100g. 5.99 if you buy 5 packs.

I prefer their Beta-Focus product which is BA, BCAA's and other goodies.

It's a cheap, long-term effective supplement.
Thanks for the info - I am a HUGE fan of BCAAs! I just postulate that alone, BA may not be the answer to a significant, quantifiable benefit - as many have described.

We're all aware of the "New Supp" motivation - I know I hit the gym harder and more frequently when I get a new supp or sample. :lol: Great feeling but may skew true effects if any.

cheers!

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
You have to understand everything Deer does is so high performance and his body is soooooo fine tuned he cant tell a difference.... Have you seen his pic dam that deer is crazy!!!
Bias and lack of constructiveness in a single post - great addition.

:dance:

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
There are so many studies out there of EVERYTHING. Also there is SO many people on here that have shown it tried and true.. so I seriously doubt it is overated.
The issue is where these studies are coming from, how and under what setting they are performed under - then there lies the interpretation of the data be it in a controlled manner or a posting on a forum.

I always recommend that if money is not an issue, try a supp for yourself. I have never discourage anyone form trying a supplement, as long as there were not any associations perceived form the literature that could be damaging to one's health. IMO, BA is a completely safe supplement taken within studied doses.

Don't get me started on Arachadonic acid though ;-)

cheers!

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
The issue is where these studies are coming from, how and under what setting they are performed under - then there lies the interpretation of the data be it in a controlled manner or a posting on a forum.

I always recommend that if money is not an issue, try a supp for yourself. I have never discourage anyone form trying a supplement, as long as there were not any associations perceived form the literature that could be damaging to one's health. IMO, BA is a completely safe supplement taken within studied doses.

cheers!
excellent post deer , thanks for your input...

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established

cheers!
Yeah true I agree with all that you said.

Why not the A? Lol.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I'm doing 5 grams twice daily, i have been for about 3 weeks and i have noticed dramatic increases in endurance and some good strength gains, kinda like the first time i used creatine.

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
I'm doing 5 grams twice daily, i have been for about 3 weeks and i have noticed dramatic increases in endurance and some good strength gains, kinda like the first time i used creatine.
Dramatic how?
just like a steroid?
just kidding:icon_lol:

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
When I am taking BA I dose it 8-10 grams before I work out. It makes my skin crawl, but I do notice a difference in my workouts.

Charles Pollequin (sp) recommends at least 10 gram doses, so see if you can find a study that has tested that amount, or buy some bulk BA from NP and try it for yourself.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
The latter of the two studies concluded oral BA supplementation increased intramuscular carnosine and did attenuate fatigue under certain conditions. Hardly seems like condemnation of BA.

Now why weren't there any improvements in 400-m race time? Well it's quite simple, endurance and performance are affected by more than just H+ ion buffering. Other factors are at play that may be considered the limiting factor in an individual's endurance or performance.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Dramatic how?
just like a steroid?
just kidding:icon_lol:
Steroids give steroid like results, from this it was more like I could hit a couple more reps on each set and I made some nice jumps in strength like 10lbs+ for upper body and lower body even greater like in the 20lbs range, and i'm still doing calorie restriction.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Oh also I was wrong i dose about 5 times a day 2g's or so each time otherwise the tingles are a bit much and nausea can set in as well.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
The latter of the two studies concluded oral BA supplementation increased intramuscular carnosine and did attenuate fatigue under certain conditions. Hardly seems like condemnation of BA.

Now why weren't there any improvements in 400-m race time? Well it's quite simple, endurance and performance are affected by more than just H+ ion buffering. Other factors are at play that may be considered the limiting factor in an individual's endurance or performance.
Glad you pointed that out. These were just 2 of the latest examples. Scrutiny of other studies offers conclusions, some confounded by the concomitant use of other supplements. Bottom line is that those purchasing this supplement expecting a major change in endurance, strenth, size etc (as is marketed by some) are not getting what they pay for. It's not a condemnation rather a clarification. :food:

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
Glad you pointed that out. These were just 2 of the latest examples. Scrutiny of other studies offers conclusions, some confounded by the concomitant use of other supplements. Bottom line is that those purchasing this supplement expecting a major change in endurance, strenth, size etc (as is marketed by some) are not getting what they pay for. It's not a condemnation rather a clarification. :food:
100% true:thumbsup:

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
Steroids give steroid like results, from this it was more like I could hit a couple more reps on each set and I made some nice jumps in strength like 10lbs+ for upper body and lower body even greater like in the 20lbs range, and i'm still doing calorie restriction.
I was just joking with you...
I remembered the marketing that your company made comparing pasta+anabolic pump with juice:icon_lol:

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
at least BA is really cheap.
and if it helps at all then it is better than a lot of sups on the market today.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Very true guys. But isn't this indicative of any supplement? Increasing strength, size or endurance is dependent on a multitude of factors. You can't just shoot a bunch of roids and expect to get huge. You have to lift and eat adequately or results will be disappointing. Proper training and nutrtion are stressed in conjunction with supps to provide desired gains. B-A is touted to buffer the "lactic acid burn" which may increase endurance. Some may simplify it as B-A increases endurance but I doubt many companies actually do this.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Very true guys. But isn't this indicative of any supplement? Increasing strength, size or endurance is dependent on a multitude of factors. You can just shoot a bunch of roids and expect to get huge. You have to lift and eat adequately or results will be disappointing. Proper training and nutrtion are stressed in conjunction with supps to provide desired gains. B-A is touted to buffer the "lactic acid burn" which may increase endurance. Some may simplify it as B-A increases endurance but I doubt many companies actually do this.
Understood, and I completely agree that good nutrition with an overall balanced and healthy lifestyle are the groundwork for fitness. Just as an aside, take a quick glance at couple manufacturers' strategies:

Manufacturer A:
xxxxxxx, xxxxxx, is pleased to introduce xxxxx, the biggest scientific breakthrough in physique enhancement and athletic performance since creatine. We have scientifically formulated xxxxx with precise doses of four key ingredients that work synergistically to increase intramuscular Carnosine and Glutathione levels, which boosts strength, lean muscle mass and fights muscular fatigue at the cellular level.

The Result: Explosive Strength and Endurance, forcing lean muscle gains, physique improvements and muscular GROWTH

Manufacturer B:

Something else equally exciting is that you will feel the muscle-intensifying effects of xxxxxx from the very first time you take it. It's easy to use too! Simply mix, drink, and get ready to explode! Seriously. Before you even walk into the gym, you will immediately start to experience greater muscular contractions, fullness, and as soon as you start handling the weights, you will experience a noticeable delay in the onset of muscular fatigue… thereby allowing you to train harder, longer, and require less recovery time between sets and your next workout.

Manufacturer C:

Experience explosive strength activation and full-blown muscle growth with new xxxxx – Bodybuilding’s First Advanced Beta-Alanine! xxxxx two innovative complexes, xxxx and xxxx, work in tandem to not only strengthen, but also enlarge muscle tissue, all while amplifying training intensity and focus for results you can see and feel.

-------------------------------

Seems like the trend is to add BA to other compounds. It is marketed aggressively, there are however several manufacturers that tout the recovery aspect which DOES in fact have some scientific grounding.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ah yes, advertising as it relates to supplements. I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms. I agree that oftentimes there are embellishments in terms of effects and sometimes to shocking degrees.

1st RD TKO

Awards
Ah yes, advertising as it relates to supplements. I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms. I agree that oftentimes there are embellishments in terms of effects and sometimes to shocking degrees.
And 'shocking' is still selling it short.
I'm a BA user because it does seem to give me a bit more endurance. A few others that train at the same gym I do find the same, and a couple more found no difference in their endurance or performance.
Hit or miss, to each his own, what works for some, etc...

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
There's lots of studies that say multivitamins don't work. They look damned good too! Creatine doesn't work either... ummm... what else doesn't work... I'm sure there's a study against everything.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
There's lots of studies that say multivitamins don't work. They look damned good too! Creatine doesn't work either... ummm... what else doesn't work... I'm sure there's a study against everything.
Fortunately, it wasn't a solitary study that prompted me to make the aforementioned statements, but several. One study is not taken as gospel so to speak UNLESS it is published in a well kown laboratory by a presitigious institution in a higher end peer-reviewed journal ie Nature.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
BA works for me... sucks if it doesn't for you.
Bottom line is that if it is suggested that the supplement will increase one's mass, size, strength, overall performance, there is not one study that can substantiate those claims other than anecdotal evidence.

If it works for you, keep it going. We are all so different and our metabolic machinery may have some variaitons that some may respond in other manners. I have already discussed what the literature has shown (and also what it has not).

cheers!

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
well ive been taking purple wrath from controlled labs which contains BA in it for around the past week or 2 and i must say i have found that i have increased recovery as well as well as endurance in the gym, i mix it with my creatine mono for the supposed synergy the two supposidly have, but so far so good

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
BA only works for me if I snort it. Tried smoking it ... nada.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Years back, some said a Barrett M107 .50 Caliber sniper rifle would not work for long range. Well, I will tell you first hand, It works just fine!:D

BA is a important staple for me. Since I have been using it, my recovery is great. I train and compete for Triathlons and Ranger competitions, and find this supplement helps me push a little harder then normal. Studies, who needs those? LOL!

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
when tribulus was out the hype by companies was so big that everybody said it works but nowadays the latest studies show that tribulus doesn't increase test, the power of suggestion its a great weapon to a placebo effect

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established