quick ZMA question

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
My question is about when i should take ZMA at night.

I usually get done lifting @ 9pm,
i drink my PWO shake from 9-10pm then
i eat at 10:30pm. I usually try to go to bed at 11:00-11:15.

Currently iv been taking my ZMA @ 11pm, basically 5min before i get in bed.

I was considering taking it at like 10:10, before i eat. Would this be best?

any suggestions?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Take ZMA either 45 min prior to a meal or 1 hour post-meal.

It dosen't matter when you take it. Most people take it at night, but anytime is fine.

krazy

Awards
So... has ZMA been proven to do anything, after all?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
It is just a vitamin/mineral supplement. Just good for atypical nutrition.

No test boosting. No crap like that.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah that loaded study that was done, what they don't tell you is that 57 football players originally signed up, that 30 of them quit before the study was over. Coincidently that fact is neglected.

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
so then i should take it right after my PWO since its more time before i eat?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
You want to avoid taking ZMA with calcium due to the inhibition uptake of the zinc. I'm guessing your PWO has calcium so this would be a bad idea.

Like you I workout in the evening. (8-9pm)

This what I normally do:

Eat 50g-60g of protein (chicken) preworkout. That way I have protein before/during my workout. Post workout I take my ZMA, then 45 minutes later eat more protein again.

You won't have an issue since chicken isn't a high source of calcium and it would have been awhile since you last ate it.

I don't postwork out carb up, or even dive right into protein. There is plenty from pre-workout.

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
my PWOshake is whey protien dextros and maltodextrin
so there is some calcium in the ON whey i assume...would taking it say prework be better?

i take 3 pills, would it be best to dose it throughout the afternoon? 1 prework, 1 postwork, 1 before bed?

:)

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
taking ZMA preworkout isn't going to make a difference. If anything it will be actually deterimental due to slight sedative effects.

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
er damn true, man my schedule sucks, so basically should i not even take zma?

taking ZMA preworkout isn't going to make a difference. If anything it will be actually deterimental due to slight sedative effects.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Just take ZMA whenever in the day works best for you. Sometimes I'll take my ZMA between breakfast/lunch during the day.

It dosen't need to be at any specific time, it is just minerals.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I used to buy ZMK, then I just ended up making my own ZMA at custom capsule instead.

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
k as long as its not prework then im good? cool...

right now i have ZMT...and ZMA so i shouldnt be taking ZMT (tryptophan) other than at night right? ahah

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
iv never heard of ZMK, sounds interesting, do you like it more than zma? im guessing you make your own zma bc its cheap...

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
ZMT, ok yeah if you have tryptophan in there then what you are doing right now is probably the best. About 1-1.5 hrs after your postworkout.

ZMK is made by MST. It is ok, but the tablets make my empty stomach nauseated, only has 30 servings, and the tablets wind up at powder at the bottom of the bottle.

At custom capsule I can customize my ZMA, and yeah it is cheaper, or atleast the same. There's nothing wrong with ZMK, but its just not for me, that's all.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I like MST's MVP350 multivitamin, I take that in the morning, although I just take all 4 capsules at once. I don't titrate them.

Take ZMT 1 hour minimum post workout. Your ON whey protein does have calcium in it and you need to wait till it clears out before you take ZMT.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would take it about 30-45 prior to bed. I have never notcied anything except for deep sleep on ZMA

cantstop19

Awards
i would personally go with zmk but thats just imo

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
it helps me sleep. it doesnt induce sleep but i sleep deeper and dream crazy dreams

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GQdaLEGEND Alpha Gainz 17
lionking999 Anabolics 7
Product Reviews 2
khall1974 35 and Older 10
mkretz Supplements 9