Whey Powder Shakes - before or after weights?

JonArms

Awards
I'm a brand new body builder. Have reduced fat over last year and am now building up muscle. I am working out every other day for up to an hour.

I've got some whey protein powder. Should I be taking this before the weight session (immediatley or an hour before?) or afterwards?

Helpful advice welcomed.

Thanks

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
First off, welcome to the boards. I can give you my opinion, but there is a huge wealth of knowledge on this subject that you can access by using the search tool found in the top row of links on this page. There has been work shown the pre-Work Out (WO) nutrition may be as important as post-WO nutrition. Some people like having a lowfat shake pre and post, whereas some prefer whole meals.

If you just want to make 1 shake, I would say do it post-WO to get the nutrients absorbed quickly, so go with whey + carbs (i.e. banana, ground oats, milk, or dextrose/WMS ).

The advantage to having a shake pre-WO is convenience, and also it gives you energy for you workout although a solid meal 60-90 minutes pre-WO is how I usually go about pre-WO.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
it is best to take before and after. before workout usually 30-60 minutes before you lift consume 20-40 grams of whey. post workout you also have 30-60 minutes before your body becomes catabolic...meaning it will start eating its own muscle for fuel. it is optimal to consume anywhere from 20-60 grams of whey post workout. hope this helps.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Both..

One shake that you sip on starting 10 minutes before your workout and finish by the end of your workout, and one that you consume immediately after said workout..

Try and maintain a 3:1 to 4:1 ratio of dextrose to protein, like this:
Shake1:
  • 8 grams whey
  • 24 - 32 grams dextrose
Shake2:
  • 20 grams whey
  • 60 - 70 grams dextrose
Oh, and 2 hours after that last shake, have a meal consisting of lean protein and happy carbs.

JonArms

Awards
Thanks

Thats great advice and consistent - before and after.

I've gotten some whey protein which provides a doseage of 24g per shake. So i'll also take one afterwards now (as was only taking one pre-work out).

I'll try and have the pre-workout one 15 - 20 mins pre workout (which kind of fits in with my morning routine!)

I shouod have added that I lost my wieght through a combination of reduced carbs and increased exercise. I guess the new weight training and whey protein intake will compliment my goals.

Thanks
Jon

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Besides whey shake intake there is more to BB than taking your whey. You need diet and training information. You need to know what to train and when and for how long, how to do the movements... for diet you need to know what to eat, when, how much etc... If you just workout with no knowledge of this you'll have very minimal gains. I am assuming you are completely new to weight training.

JonArms

Awards
Besides whey shake intake there is more to BB than taking your whey. You need diet and training information. You need to know what to train and when and for how long, how to do the movements... for diet you need to know what to eat, when, how much etc... If you just workout with no knowledge of this you'll have very minimal gains. I am assuming you are completely new to weight training.
I am new yes. I have personal traning programme developed by my local gym (brand new) and am pretty savvy on diet requirements.

It was just the 'new' stuff that I needed to consider now that I'm doing weights (as opposed to cardio which is all I have been doing so far).

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
I am new yes. I have personal traning programme developed by my local gym (brand new) and am pretty savvy on diet requirements.

It was just the 'new' stuff that I needed to consider now that I'm doing weights (as opposed to cardio which is all I have been doing so far).
Whey's are to help your protein consumption. To be honest diets and training from gyms are usually crap but I can't say that about yours since I don't know what it is. Since you want to gain weight you need to eat more calories than your body burns in a day. At your height and weight I would say around 3300-3500. Within those calories you need to divide your Protein, Carbs and fat intake to reach 3300-3500 calories. Once you know how much grams a day you need divide it into 6 meals. Does your diet state this? It probably says some crap like 1g per body weight?

JonArms

Awards
Whey's are to help your protein consumption. To be honest diets and training from gyms are usually crap but I can't say that about yours since I don't know what it is. Since you want to gain weight you need to eat more calories than your body burns in a day. At your height and weight I would say around 3300-3500. Within those calories you need to divide your Protein, Carbs and fat intake to reach 3300-3500 calories. Once you know how much grams a day you need divide it into 6 meals. Does your diet state this? It probably says some crap like 1g per body weight?
My traning programme is pretty good. I've had a bad back in the past and the programme takes this in to account very well and combined with my low impact cardio work.

I havent had any diet advice from the gym but I do eat very well since I have been on a healthy eatin diet for a while to lose weight I've gone from 105kg to 88kg and now would like to bulk and tone up. Kind of a phased plan to sort my old body out.

I'm fighting fit and extremley healthy, quite clever on eating a well balanced and healthy diet. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing re supplements to make the mostof my new weight traning routing and increase my muscle mass as this is all new to me.

Cheers
Jon

JonArms

Awards
My traning programme is pretty good. I've had a bad back in the past and the programme takes this in to account very well and combined with my low impact cardio work.

I havent had any diet advice from the gym but I do eat very well since I have been on a healthy eatin diet for a while to lose weight I've gone from 105kg to 88kg and now would like to bulk and tone up. Kind of a phased plan to sort my old body out.

I'm fighting fit and extremley healthy, quite clever on eating a well balanced and healthy diet. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing re supplements to make the mostof my new weight traning routing and increase my muscle mass as this is all new to me.

Cheers
Jon
I should also add that I'm not doing like an hour a day each day. Just over 20 mins 3/4 times a week - I'm not going ott on this.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
I have to head for school, when I come back I'll add more. There's more to eating right, you need to eat a lot. You need to lifts have to be compound, not isolation, you need clas dude to grow and just eating right doesn't sound like a lot. You can't lose weight and gain muscle. It's either you lose weight first or gain muscle. Now that you lost fat you want to bulk up you need to do everything you can to bulk, you will gain some fat while doing so but that's why you calculate your body fat every 2 weeks to see if your eating too much or to increase your cals. Anyways talk to you later on this.