Any Supp. store owners/managers?

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
Hey AM,
I've been an avid reader for a while now but don't post too often, too busy learning from all of you...On to my question

Do any of you run/own/manage a supp store? If so, can you talk about it some?
Where is it located?
How long have you run/manage the store?
What where the start up costs?
Is it profitable? (I know that there are many variables such as online competition and location)

I am separating from the military soon and am contemplating opening up a supp. store. It would be in Las Vegas and would have a wide range of companies that I support and use(Scivation,Xtreme Formulations,AI,AEN,DS,RPN and many more). Of course there would be a few big name companies (MT,BSN) but for the most part I want to sell products that I believe in. Any info would be great, thanks.

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey good luck w/ that ! I don't have a store but as a consumer I can tell ya it's Location, Location, Location. Make it easy to access and have other popular stores around which generate high traffic. Most stuff I buy on-line so you may want to consider that as well. Probably Lease space is the best for your situation. Operating an actual store will carry over head- just not sure how much. You'll need to set up credit card charging, and hire a staff to help out too.

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
Thanks for the reply Scooter. I agree that location is of utmost importance. I'm still in Japan right now so I haven't had the opportunity to look for space yet but that will be a priority when I get back. Since Vegas is huge into the MMA scene, I would like to find a location near a popular gym. And I agree that leasing would probably be ideal, at least for now.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
If available, a good place to setup shop would probably be near a gym. The store I work at is about 200 yards away from a 2 gyms, and about a mile away from another one. We get a lot of traffic. We're also about a quarter mile away from the interstate so we get a lot of commuter traffic as well.

One problem that we have though is a lack of selection of bodybuilding supps. We do carry some of the names on this board but there are multiple intances where people come in looking for something to do 'this' and in my head I'm thinking "If only we carried ___."

You say you'll carry BSN and MT but another one that moves a lot of product, at least in this area, is Labrada.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
It is not a reliable business to get into. An independant store will have a very hard time competing. I wouldn't recommend it, especially with the state of the industry right now with the FDA.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
It is not a reliable business to get into. An independant store will have a very hard time competing. I wouldn't recommend it, especially with the state of the industry right now with the FDA.
Very true. Then there's that scary CODEX thing that could make it's way in to this country. I didn't want to dissway you from your choice but you'd definately want to you do homework before getting started, which I'm sure you'd already planned on.

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
Hey AM,
I've been an avid reader for a while now but don't post too often, too busy learning from all of you...On to my question

Where is it located?
Is it profitable? (I know that there are many variables such as online competition and location)

I am separating from the military soon and am contemplating opening up a supp. store. It would be in Las Vegas and would have a wide range of companies that I support and use(Scivation,Xtreme Formulations,AI,AEN,DS,RPN and many more). Of course there would be a few big name companies (MT,BSN) but for the most part I want to sell products that I believe in. Any info would be great, thanks.
A franchise is probably what you'd want to look into. You'd also would want to know what your competition would be like in that area.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
If you like money, don't do it. If you love supplements and want to be immersed in them, and understand how much work it will be to run a business, then do it.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
do your due dillegence. no doubt about that.

There are a lot of reputable companies on here, and in general that haven't made it into the 2 major retailers VS and GNC.
I have made it something of a personal mission, to try to get good companies into our stores, as I'm an employee of 1 of those 2 retailers.
There's a lot of stuff we carry, that we shouldn't, and stuff we should carry but don't.

One if the things I've noticed, is the independent shops create a niche, by selling a lot of things the major chains DONT.
In fact, I even made a list of things carried online, that my work doesnt carry. I could send that list to you, if your intetristed. PM me if so.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
I agree with dancebot. When trying to run a successfull business you have to be either really really good at it or you might need to run one where people HAVE to come to you. In this case, a supp store would be killed by internet supp stores. I think the idea of a supp store would sound neat, but the money part might be somewhat difficult to earn if you ask me. Why? because unless your the best darn store ever then youll never really get your foot in the door. Theres a reason small grocery stores dont make that much money vs big supermarkets. The prices and selections are just unmatched.

Running a supp store also is more of a luxury store. People dont need supplements. They can do without it. You might want to invest your time if money is your goal, in a business where people cant get away from you. For example, you need to fix your broken flooded basement and theres no choice but to buy hardware equipment or such. Things of those lines are pretty decent when it comes to money. But like everything it takes time. Good money in a business never comes over night. It takes years before you could get your name out.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You might also consider doing a duel business. Have a store location but also have a website with online ordering for your store. Then you can hit them from all angles. You could also store stock in the back of your store and ship from there.

You might even consider doing a double store one side supps and maybe a tanning salon on the other. You can pimp the angle of a store for the total body. That way if the winter as tanning dies you stil have the supps and vice versa.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
You might also consider doing a duel business. Have a store location but also have a website with online ordering for your store. Then you can hit them from all angles. You could also store stock in the back of your store and ship from there.

This is what we do. It's still a struggle, and creates a lot more work, but it does help a bit. You tanning bed idea is also very good, but it requires quite a bit of space.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Pretty soon, within the next couple of weeks, we will be starting a business consulting service where we'll be able to help anyone and everyone who wants to start their own business. We'll help you every single step of the way.

We've been very successful at starting businesses and we can show you how we do it.

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
Hey guys, thanks for all of the replies. I am definately taking all of your advice into consideration.

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
A franchise is probably what you'd want to look into. You'd also would want to know what your competition would be like in that area.
Hey Slow,
I've looked into franchising and am somewhat interested in the idea but...I don't like the fact that you have to stock and push certain companies and products. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the "cell tech crowd" but that's not what I'm shooting for. I would like to introduce causual gym goers to a whole new generation of supplements that for the most part, only we as online shoppers and forum members are aware of.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
You say you'll carry BSN and MT but another one that moves a lot of product, at least in this area, is Labrada.
Just curious but where abouts is your store? Managing a supplement store, I will say that there are certain brands you cannot get away from carrying. All politics aside, if you want your business to succeed, and be profitable, you have to cary what sells plain and simple. Sure it's ok to cary the brands you like, and plan to push, but if you don't cary the basic brands that sell and have a name in this industry, you won't go very far. With that being said, and to the OG poster, good luck to you sir!

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
If you like money, don't do it. If you love supplements and want to be immersed in them, and understand how much work it will be to run a business, then do it.
lol, thats pretty funny. I have heard that these types of businesses can be a trap so I plan on doing all of my homework first. Coming to the end of my military career, I have come to the realization that I need to do something with my life that makes me happy, you know? And I love money and the fitness world so I will try my hardest to make it work.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Biggest thing you've got to understand is that you will not survive on sales from 'bodybuilders' or MMA fighters. You will survive on your everyday joe buying vitamins and oils and ****. GNC makes money, and they don't make it on guys like us.

AFJON

AFJON

Awards

You might even consider doing a double store one side supps and maybe a tanning salon on the other. You can pimp the angle of a store for the total body. That way if the winter as tanning dies you stil have the supps and vice versa.
Hey Crader, thanks for the advice. I think a store/online store would be a great idea that would tackle things from different angles.

As far as the double store, considering Vegas is pretty big into the MMA scene and MMA is the fastest growing sport in America, I was thinking that this might be a good area to get into. Like half the store sell supplements and the other half have a good assortment of MMA gear/equiptment/clothing. What do you think?

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
do your due dillegence. no doubt about that.

There are a lot of reputable companies on here, and in general that haven't made it into the 2 major retailers VS and GNC.
I have made it something of a personal mission, to try to get good companies into our stores, as I'm an employee of 1 of those 2 retailers.
There's a lot of stuff we carry, that we shouldn't, and stuff we should carry but don't.

One if the things I've noticed, is the independent shops create a niche, by selling a lot of things the major chains DONT.
In fact, I even made a list of things carried online, that my work doesnt carry. I could send that list to you, if your intetristed. PM me if so.
check your PM's man

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
Pretty soon, within the next couple of weeks, we will be starting a business consulting service where we'll be able to help anyone and everyone who wants to start their own business. We'll help you every single step of the way.

We've been very successful at starting businesses and we can show you how we do it.
Hey, I would be very interested in your services. Avant is an excellent company who obviously who a lot about the business I am trying to get into.

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
Just curious but where abouts is your store? Managing a supplement store, I will say that there are certain brands you cannot get away from carrying. All politics aside, if you want your business to succeed, and be profitable, you have to cary what sells plain and simple. Sure it's ok to cary the brands you like, and plan to push, but if you don't cary the basic brands that sell and have a name in this industry, you won't go very far. With that being said, and to the OG poster, good luck to you sir!
Hey Lift,
Thanks for the advice. That is very true so I would probably have to carry the big companies. What would be ideal to me though is if someone came in asking for NOXPLODE saying it was the best thing they have ever taken, I could introduce them to White Flood, RAg, R4W, RPM, and countless other supps that are way more effective, but they just don't know about.

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
Biggest thing you've got to understand is that you will not survive on sales from 'bodybuilders' or MMA fighters. You will survive on your everyday joe buying vitamins and oils and ****. GNC makes money, and they don't make it on guys like us.
Sad but very true.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey, I would be very interested in your services. Avant is an excellent company who obviously who a lot about the business I am trying to get into.
Thanks man. Much appreciated.

I'll let you know when we get it going, which should be 1-2 weeks from now.

Pricing will be very reasonable, considering what you'll get in return.

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
Thanks man. Much appreciated.

I'll let you know when we get it going, which should be 1-2 weeks from now.

Pricing will be very reasonable, considering what you'll get in return.
Cool, I''ll be looking out for that.

BB12

BB12

Awards
  • Established
Internet... hands down! I never stop in a store, haven't in almost 5 years. So much cheaper online.

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
Internet... hands down! I never stop in a store, haven't in almost 5 years. So much cheaper online.
Thats understandable, I'm pretty much the same way right now. But, if you could find a store with comparable products with comparable rates (take shipping into account), would you not shop there? I know that this would be a pretty large task but if orchestrated properly, I think it has potential.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey AM,

Where is it located?

I run something similar in a doctors office. Not a supp store but more a diet etc room where I talk about what sups to take etc.

psychobabble

psychobabble

Awards
  • Established
Hey AM,

Where is it located?

good luck with ure store .. yahh when u go to GNC, they just have big name companies .. but the products that work the best .. theyll never carry it ..Scivation is a great example of that.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I will get that list out to you tomorrow bro.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established

sooo true. stock up on vitimins dude, because your goal is to aim for a store which sells ALL types of supplements. limiting yourself to smaller companies wont get you outstanding business. Gotta carry muscletech, cause the mommies who bring their kids along will ask for it. vitimins for mom, cell-tech for the kids.

BB12

BB12

Awards
  • Established
I only shop at GNC, Vitamin Shoppe...etc when they have major deals or items about to expire.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
I only shop at GNC, Vitamin Shoppe...etc when they have major deals or items about to expire.

heck if i found out that isopures were going for 75% off and about to expire in 3 months, id be all over them. great benefit for me. :D

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
I run something similar in a doctors office. Not a supp store but more a diet etc room where I talk about what sups to take etc.
Are you a doc or do you have a section where you do business? How is business? What kind of products do you sell?

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
good luck with ure store .. yahh when u go to GNC, they just have big name companies .. but the products that work the best .. theyll never carry it ..Scivation is a great example of that.
Thanks man!!

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
sooo true. stock up on vitimins dude, because your goal is to aim for a store which sells ALL types of supplements. limiting yourself to smaller companies wont get you outstanding business. Gotta carry muscletech, cause the mommies who bring their kids along will ask for it. vitimins for mom, cell-tech for the kids.
Thats true dude...In order to be successful, I would have to satisfy ALL customers, not just the ones who are like me...Thanks man, this is one of those things that are obvious but still easily overlooked.