Protein Intake - AnabolicMinds.com

Protein Intake

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.

Protein Intake

I was discussing protein supplements with a teammate on the football team, and he insisted that you can only take in so much protein at a single time, and the excess would be excreted through urine. Is this true? If so, would it be different if you chop the intake up into multiple segments, so you'd get something like 60g in the morning, 60 in the afternoon, and 80 in the evening? Help would be very much appreciated, as always.

2. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Its not entirely true (as its not just urine it gets excreted as, it goes out the other end too) but basically true. It depends on "protein from what". What I mean is that egg whites for instance, you could force as much down your throat as could fit, and you won't get full benefit of much more than 25g worth. red meat tho, you could go a bit higher. has to do with how long it takes to digest. whey isolate I doubt much higer than egg, casein i'd bet 50-60g as it would be over the span of a couple hrs that it gets digested. i doubt there is much of anything you can take in that you could get full value out of much more than that. thats part of why the idea of eating 6 meals a day, you spread the protein out further so your body always has a good supply
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

Yup that's essentially what I was gonna say -- 30-40 grams 5-7 times a day would be ideal for a steady, continuous stream of nutrients..
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

I keep it to about 40 -50 grams a meal, and its almost never from one source. Like to mix my shakes so its part whey, casein, or a premade blend.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.

Thanks everyone, I'll need to switch up my diet a little bit then.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  240 lbs.

1.5-2 grams per pound of bodyweight per day divided in 6 to 7 meals.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Its not entirely true (as its not just urine it gets excreted as, it goes out the other end too) but basically true. It depends on "protein from what". What I mean is that egg whites for instance, you could force as much down your throat as could fit, and you won't get full benefit of much more than 25g worth. red meat tho, you could go a bit higher. has to do with how long it takes to digest. whey isolate I doubt much higer than egg, casein i'd bet 50-60g as it would be over the span of a couple hrs that it gets digested. i doubt there is much of anything you can take in that you could get full value out of much more than that. thats part of why the idea of eating 6 meals a day, you spread the protein out further so your body always has a good supply
    I have a case of 100% Whey Protein, 2 scoops being the equivalent to 52g of Protein. Usually I take the 2 scoops with about 2 cups of skim milk after lifting; would it be a smarter idea to take about 1 1/4 scoop, if you cannot benefit much past 25g of Whey?

Quote Originally Posted by IronImpact View Post
    1.5-2 grams per pound of bodyweight per day divided in 6 to 7 meals.
    That's a hell of a lot, even when dividing it by seven meals. By inputting 1.5xbodyweight, I get around 262.5 as bare minimum of protein/day...divide that by 7, and you get 37.5g protein/meal. Part of my problem is working around a school schedule, but it still seems hard to cram 263-350g of protein on summer break. Could your body really utilize all that protein?
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  240 lbs.

That's a hell of a lot, even when dividing it by seven meals. By inputting 1.5xbodyweight, I get around 262.5 as bare minimum of protein/day...divide that by 7, and you get 37.5g protein/meal. Part of my problem is working around a school schedule, but it still seems hard to cram 263-350g of protein on summer break. Could your body really utilize all that protein?
    [/QUOTE]

I have been in the game for a long time and I know this has been a real big debate. So let me clarify. That 1.5-2 grms of protein would be directed at serious bodybuilders only. I dont even think atheletes would need that much. But I know that the consensus of bodybuilders would say that is a pretty accurate number. Again this is pertaining to serious bodybuilders (my bad).

One thing that I know is that I would rather have to much protein in my body than to have my body scavenge the protein and aminos from my muscles. Yes the excess will convert to glucose and saturated fats and it will be wasted but you have to way the pros and cons of it. Risk loosing muscle or risk saving a few dollars.

There is a hit and miss approach to this as well. Through experience you will be able to find the right amount of protein that is right for you. We are all individuals so it varys.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  251 lbs.

but say u are using a product such as Eggwhites international, which is 100% bio avaliable.. isnt it all use by ur body.? hence the 100% bioavaliable part
  10. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

it is all able to go into bloodstream, so 100% bioavailable, but your body can only use so many grams per hour, and it gets flushed out of your body at a certain rate.

MrBrightside if you are taking it with just skim milk, then portion is likely wasted. if you mixed some fiber in there, or natural peanutbutter then the stomach digestion would be slower, and it probably would get the whole 52g worth out of it.

the 1.5-2g really is only necessary if you are on superdrol or some other hefty bulking steroid. If you look at Lyle McDonalds original ketogenic diet, he suggested you could go as low a .8g per lb of lean mass and still successfully loose fat without loosing muscle, and possibly gaining muscle. Do the math on that one. if you are 200lb and 10% bf, you are only 180 lean lbs, so .8 of that is only 144g.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  11. Yari Ka Daw!
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

If you're looking to do that 60g morning, 60 mid, 80 night then put flax oil in the shakes to slow down absorption. I try and get 40-60g of protein per meal, ya some of it will be wasted through urine but I rather that then not meet my minimum requirement of protein intake. Spread it through 6 meals a day and you'll see the benefits.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.

I don't eat 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, and I see good results with my training/diet. When I try to take in too much protein at one time, all that leads to is an increased amount of trips to the bathroom, and a decrease in TP. The name of the game is just to keep your body supplied with protein all during the day.
  13. Yari Ka Daw!
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadof2 View Post
    I don't eat 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, and I see good results with my training/diet. When I try to take in too much protein at one time, all that leads to is an increased amount of trips to the bathroom, and a decrease in TP. The name of the game is just to keep your body supplied with protein all during the day.
    Yup exactly.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Sometimes I'll pack down some extra Goat Whey (up to 60 grams) throughout the last 15 minutes of my workout when my body is primed for it.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  15. Yari Ka Daw!
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

^^ Watch out he might lay 'the bomb'

16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.

MrBrightside if you are taking it with just skim milk, then portion is likely wasted. if you mixed some fiber in there, or natural peanutbutter then the stomach digestion would be slower, and it probably would get the whole 52g worth out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    If you're looking to do that 60g morning, 60 mid, 80 night then put flax oil in the shakes to slow down absorption.
    So would taking the 52g with 2 cups of 1% and some Fiber-Psyll be a better plan of action? Maybe instead of the flax oil, some omega-3's? I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to the oils.
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

^^ Watch out he might lay 'the bomb'

Haha! Not from the Goat.

I must say, I got a couple tubs of Pro-NOS by MRI at an unbeatable price (too damn expensive otherwise) and the taste and texture is OUTSTANDING! It works up to be so damn frothy, which is great if you need to be filled up. I put 8 ice cubes and 16oz of water in a blender w/ 2 scoops of banana creme or french vanilla and it churns out to like 5-6 cups! It is like a thick milkshake!!!!!!
    Freedom means nothing here.
  18. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

its all about slowing digestion. So you could add ground flax seeds to it, and that would cover both fiber + oil
    This space for rent

19. Yari Ka Daw!
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
    So would taking the 52g with 2 cups of 1% and some Fiber-Psyll be a better plan of action? Maybe instead of the flax oil, some omega-3's? I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to the oils.
    To be honest that's the easy way out and it's not really giving your body protein every 2-3 hrs. Just get use to eating 6 meals a day, it's a ***** the first week but you get use to it and it's like second nature. Trust me it's better to eat every 2-3 hrs, don't try and make it easy cos it ain't. Flax oil does have omega 3 in it. You really only need omega 3 but if you get UDO's choice it has all 3 omegas which doesn't hurt to get.
  20. Yari Ka Daw!
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    Haha! Not from the Goat.

I must say, I got a couple tubs of Pro-NOS by MRI at an unbeatable price (too damn expensive otherwise) and the taste and texture is OUTSTANDING! It works up to be so damn frothy, which is great if you need to be filled up. I put 8 ice cubes and 16oz of water in a blender w/ 2 scoops of banana creme or french vanilla and it churns out to like 5-6 cups! It is like a thick milkshake!!!!!!
    I got Gut health by RPN and man does it take care of 'the bomb'
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

Fat and fiber to my understanding is the slowest digesting substances available. Its too easy to heat up some PB and throw it in a chocolate shake, making it delicious and slowing down digestion which would allow for more protein absorbance. And PB tastes better than flax.
  22. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

To be honest that's the easy way out and it's not really giving your body protein every 2-3 hrs. Just get use to eating 6 meals a day, it's a ***** the first week but you get use to it and it's like second nature. Trust me it's better to eat every 2-3 hrs, don't try and make it easy cos it ain't. Flax oil does have omega 3 in it. You really only need omega 3 but if you get UDO's choice it has all 3 omegas which doesn't hurt to get.
    truthfully tho, with whey isolates solo, or eggs, it doesn't last more than an hour unless you add something. so even hitting 6 meals a day you need some enhancers at some points
    This space for rent

23. New Member

cook a half cup dry quick oats and blend it in your shake. dirt cheap.
  24. Yari Ka Daw!
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

truthfully tho, with whey isolates solo, or eggs, it doesn't last more than an hour unless you add something. so even hitting 6 meals a day you need some enhancers at some points
    True but what I mean are protein solid meals like chicken breasts, tuna, cottage cheese, turkey etc... I will always add a shake, maybe 3 times a day with meals or even 4, depends but I always want a solid protein food each meal. If I can't get that then I'll use an MRP and that's when I'll add some flax to slow it down. I usually add flax oil or extra virgin olive oil to my shake.
  25. Yari Ka Daw!
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rugrat5288 View Post
    cook a half cup dry quick oats and blend it in your shake. dirt cheap.
    I tried mixing a scoop of whey in my oats and that was pure dirt. I tried to make it like muscle milk but man it was gross. I'll try blending oats in my shake but I usually don't have time to conveniently blend my protein, I like to just like to use a shaker cup and down it.
  26. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

True but what I mean are protein solid meals like chicken breasts, tuna, cottage cheese, turkey etc... I will always add a shake, maybe 3 times a day with meals or even 4, depends but I always want a solid protein food each meal. If I can't get that then I'll use an MRP and that's when I'll add some flax to slow it down. I usually add flax oil or extra virgin olive oil to my shake.

16oz ribeye FTW!
    This space for rent

27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.

Alright, I apologize for the thousands of questions I'm throwing everyone's way, but I have to ask, because I may not follow the divided-intake part. Could you take a whey shake with some flax oil in the morning, get all 52g worth of protein, and then take the exact same shake later on in the evening and still benefit?
  28. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

sure, its all about g of protein per hour. its better to get as much as possible from whole food sources as they contain a more well rounded assortment of things besides the protein nutritionally speaking and take longer to digest.
    This space for rent

29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.

Awesome, thanks for the help everyone =]
  30. Yari Ka Daw!
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Its not just protein intake, it has to be evenly devided with carb intake and fat intake. Like a 40-30-30 ratio and devide that into 6 meals a day evenly. You need to know how many calories your body has to consume and what your goals are. You just can't eat protein or down a shake an expect to grow. Theres so much to learn if you're starting out.
  31. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

plus certain things like what ratio works best for you is something you have to work out over time. set up your diet with a set of macros and run it that way for 30 days, then change the macros for the next 30.
    This space for rent

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 11:31 AM
  2. protein intake
    By Montesano813 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 03:34 PM
  3. Protein Intake
    By Stallion83 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 05:18 PM
  4. Protein intake