Not sure which lifting straps

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I guess since lifting straps supplement workouts this would probably be the place to put this. I have a pair of those generic white ones and they are getting to be pretty worn out, plus they have a lot of blood all over them.

I'm debating on a few different ones:

-Cuff w/ hook: Has this worked good for anyone ? It seems with this the bar might slip out of the hook, plus the length between the cuff and the actual hook is fixed so there is no room to move the bar closer up the hand.

-Cuff w/ straps: Instead of feeding the strap through the eyelet, this has a cuff that seperately gets secured, then the strap gets rolled. I'm not sure how secure that cuff is under heavy weight.

-Padded eyelet: This is like my current ones except the inside for the wrist is padded, the strap gets feeded through the eyelet, then wrapped. Standard stuff. This is what I'm leaning towards getting.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I have the cuff with straps. It works good on deads and clings and rows and shrugs. I have no complaints and no slippage.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
-Padded eyelet: This is like my current ones except the inside for the wrist is padded, the strap gets feeded through the eyelet, then wrapped. Standard stuff. This is what I'm leaning towards getting.

Keep it simple

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
The padded wrist strap (the one nutra has is the one I have) works extremely well (no slipping at all.) I was using their basic black cotton lifting straps and they worked fine as well, but the price difference being negligible I'd go with the padded wrist strap.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I guess since lifting straps supplement workouts this would probably be the place to put this. I have a pair of those generic white ones and they are getting to be pretty worn out, plus they have a lot of blood all over them.

I'm debating on a few different ones:

-Cuff w/ hook: Has this worked good for anyone ? It seems with this the bar might slip out of the hook, plus the length between the cuff and the actual hook is fixed so there is no room to move the bar closer up the hand.

-Cuff w/ straps: Instead of feeding the strap through the eyelet, this has a cuff that seperately gets secured, then the strap gets rolled. I'm not sure how secure that cuff is under heavy weight.

Dude, the padded ones are a must. Those bare cloth ones tear the hell out of my wrists. I got a pair of valeo padded straps that work great and were like $6.

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I tried the hook and it felt awkward with HEAVY weight. Just bought the Valeo eyelet type that are padded for only $4, will use them tonight!

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depending on how heavy you go, reaper, I'd look into APT. I haven't gotten the straps from them yet (workin on strengthening my grip first), but the belt, knee sleeves, and wrist wraps that I have are really top notch. A bit pricier than the valeo stuff, but if you're looking for heavy....

Hey Nutraplanet - any way y'all can market that stuff too??? It's so much easier to do one online debit and not have to whip out dat card twice!! :D :lol: :D

FOOFAC

FOOFAC

Awards
  • Established
I like cuff w/ hook but only the 1-inch wide hook. Those prong looking mothers and the wide ones suck. I love that you can be totally hands free but that's also what I hate. Your locked to the bar if sh!t happens. Straps wear out and get dirty but I've had the same set of hooks for about 15yrs. I also like the Versa style straps and now use both but for different movements. I popped a disc doing shrugs. I heard this loud CRACK & dropped the bar. My hooks just about tore my arms off when they dragged me to the floor.:frustrate I still use the hooks for shrugs but now I do them in a rack. lol

BigNemo

BigNemo

Awards
  • Established
gloves only, if u need straps, it means u really can't hold the weight.

strester

strester

Awards
  • Established
Depending on how heavy you go, reaper, I'd look into APT. I haven't gotten the straps from them yet (workin on strengthening my grip first), but the belt, knee sleeves, and wrist wraps that I have are really top notch. A bit pricier than the valeo stuff, but if you're looking for heavy....

Hey Nutraplanet - any way y'all can market that stuff too??? It's so much easier to do one online debit and not have to whip out dat card twice!! :D :lol: :D
x2 for APT ... I've been using the same pair of straps for over 3 years now and they still have plenty of life left ... also like the ZRV-Pro wrist wraps

BigNemo

BigNemo

Awards
  • Established
work on ur grip and forget straps they give u a false sense of power.

FOOFAC

FOOFAC

Awards
  • Established
There is no way my grip strength will ever be as powerful as my traps. I don't want the set to end because my grip fails, I want it to end because my traps are fried. I'm not saying don't train your grip but at the same time don't let it be the limiting factor when you are training something else. In some exercises the bicep and your grip are the weak links and removing them allows you to better isolate the muscle & work it harder. I do bent BB rows with 280lbs and I have no problem holding that weight without straps but I can feel the movement better with straps.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
i don't care much for straps, but i would have to say, the simpler the better. just get the standard ol' straps. the chunk of flat rope with the loop in the end.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I really need lifting straps for deadlift/shrugs. For the most part that is about it. Occasionally if I am doing heavy dumbbell rows.

I think I'll just buy the black ones @ nutra. They are pretty cheap.

Trevor Miller

Trevor Miller

Awards
I have a pair of APT straps and love them.

Trevor Miller

Trevor Miller

Awards
Whatever dude. When I'm doing a set of shrugs with over 250lbs for 12 reps.....holding the weight for that long without straps is just taking away from my trap workout.

Same with deadlifts...when doing a max effort set I always use straps because I'm focusing on posterior chain strength...not grip.
Sometimes you just gotta get off your high-horse dude.

Trevor Miller

Trevor Miller

Awards
There is no way my grip strength will ever be as powerful as my traps. I don't want the set to end because my grip fails, I want it to end because my traps are fried. I'm not saying don't train your grip but at the same time don't let it be the limiting factor when you are training something else. In some exercises the bicep and your grip are the weak links and removing them allows you to better isolate the muscle & work it harder. I do bent BB rows with 280lbs and I have no problem holding that weight without straps but I can feel the movement better with straps.

I agree with everything you said.....except that you can BB row with 280lbs with proper form unless you are strong as f u c k. I'd need to see a vid to believe it.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Prior to use straps, my shrug workouts always fell short due to grip strength. Once you start pulling higher weight, even if you can hold the weight, you are still wasting energy gripping the thing instead of focusing all your energy into pulling with your traps.

I always deadlift pull over/under, shrugs I always pull over/over.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Yeah my old white ones chaf the shlt out of my skin too. I hate them.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
7 years ago i bought these padded schiek straps and they have been tbe best ever they have traveled across the country and now across the world

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
i'll bite my tongue about the shrugs, as i see the point in what your saying on them. the weight is held the whole time through the repetitions, and you are isolating one small muscle area: the traps primarily and the upper mid-back secondarily. i can see you wanting focus for that.

however, deads are a power move for most of us. the way you do them when you get to your heavy point in strength is: you position yourself, you start the pull with your legs, you thrust them hips/lock out, then you drop down to the ground (which in that second you drop to the ground, you can take that as an opportunity to refresh your grip). you know why it's best this way? because it allows you to work your grip for power in other exercises and when you are doing them deads with no straps. that grip power strengthens the forearms, helping you to better perform rows, curls, presses, EVERYTHING....except legs/abs of course.

but if you wanna use straps for everything, i guess that it'd be fine too. me, i'd rather make my hands/forearms powerful along with the rest of my body though. i never know when/if i might have to rip someone's throat out in this crazy world.

p.s.-i forgot. i do find them acceptable for when you're doing rack deads, though. when you do them, you are usually using 15-70% more weight than you can handle. but that stuff is for powerlifters. i'm not down with that no mo'.

FOOFAC

FOOFAC

Awards
  • Established
I agree with everything you said.....except that you can BB row with 280lbs with proper form unless you are strong as f u c k. I'd need to see a vid to believe it.
Believe what ya like. That is a supinated Yates style bent row which I have been doing since I saw him do them in 94. I'm not far off double what you shrug for sets but I'm sure you don't believe that either. lol

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Believe what ya like. That is a supinated Yates style bent row which I have been doing since I saw him do them in 94. I'm not far off double what you shrug for sets but I'm sure you don't believe that either. lol
i believe you....and....(teary-eyed whisper) i-believe-in-you.....(dramatic music begins).....

but seriously, them's some good lifts ya got and are totally attainable. i ain't sippin' no hater drink like them.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established

thats a pretty piss poor comment to make

what good is doing 315 lb deadlifts because ur hands can hold it. but your body is capable of 465lb deadlifts

so what are you doing. robbing your body because of your forearms

anybody who really cares. will do what the do to train that body part

i train grip seperately so i work my grip when i need to but im not gonna make my back suffer because i cant hold 405 for 8 reps or what have u

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
i'll bite my tongue about the shrugs, as i see the point in what your saying on them. the weight is held the whole time through the repetitions, and you are isolating one small muscle area: the traps primarily and the upper mid-back secondarily. i can see you wanting focus for that.

however, deads are a power move for most of us. the way you do them when you get to your heavy point in strength is: you position yourself, you start the pull with your legs, you thrust them hips/lock out, then you drop down to the ground (which in that second you drop to the ground, you can take that as an opportunity to refresh your grip). you know why it's best this way? because it allows you to work your grip for power in other exercises and when you are doing them deads with no straps. that grip power strengthens the forearms, helping you to better perform rows, curls, presses, EVERYTHING....except legs/abs of course.

but if you wanna use straps for everything, i guess that it'd be fine too. me, i'd rather make my hands/forearms powerful along with the rest of my body though. i never know when/if i might have to rip someone's throat out in this crazy world.

p.s.-i forgot. i do find them acceptable for when you're doing rack deads, though. when you do them, you are usually using 15-70% more weight than you can handle. but that stuff is for powerlifters. i'm not down with that no mo'.

your view is way to off

if your only training to rip someone sthroat out in this crazy world i begin to look for a new hobby

most of us dont train to rip peoples throats out

but im sure jay cutler and ronnie and all the big dogs pulling 600-800 lbs off the ground dont use straps either for the sake of thier foreams

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I think I brought this up before. Even if you can lift/hold the weight, you are robbing yourself out of your workout still because you are exerting substantial energy to hold those damn heavy weights in your hands, as opposed to focusing it more on the muscle you are working out.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
I think I brought this up before. Even if you can lift/hold the weight, you are robbing yourself out of your workout still because you are exerting substantial energy to hold those damn heavy weights in your hands, as opposed to focusing it more on the muscle you are working out.

bingo that is the whole point of straps if ur working your back work your back do what u need to do to work it

work your grip seperately no one earns cool points by having a shitty back workout for the sake of grip