Newbie Question on protein powder.

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
Need some opinions.
I 've been reading on this forum for a while, and liked the honest opinions and knowledge that seems to be here.

So this is my question.

Getting ready for summer( as everyone is) and wanting to get a few more pounds on the old body.
Wanting to run 1 more intense workout cycle before summer.

I know that solid foods are the premium way to add mass.
But I'm heading into a very busy time for myself, but still want to try and get just a little more weight on. With my traveling schedule it will be almost impossable to prepare enough food to get my calories up.

Would it be beneficial to increase my protein powder intake?
So maybe trying to drink 3-4 protein shakes spread out throught the day and 1 at bedtime.I will include as much solid food as I can but not like I would normally do. I know this isn't the best practice, but is it worth doing or would I be just wasting my money.

Age 47
weight 179lbs

Just an example;

ksa

Awards
  • Established
you can try meal replacement proteins mrp's.

something like prolabs lean mass complex (packs) easy on the run or Core MRP. Both have excellent protein & carb sources.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used inch loss protein for meals works awesome for me.

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
Thanks guys

I was hopeing it would work, I had rather eat solid foods, but at this time, not enough time, and too much traveling.

I can find places to lift, but getting the meals isn't at easy, especially 6 times a day.

Thanks again for the advice.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you have a freezer? If so, make TONS of frozen meals right now (Stews, Chilis, and Meatloafs are my favourites) and then buy a good 50 tupperware and freeze it all. It seems like a bunch of work, but if you plan it all out, you can do it on a single sunday afternoon and have tons of healthy meals. Crockpot stew = 10-15 servings, Get a big pot of chili going = Another 10-15 meals, and then meatloafs are a great handy snack. If you freeze them, you can just put 2 of 3 slices in a ziploc bag and snack on them like protein bars except much healthier!

I know that isn't the easiest option, but it would be my first choice. You can use shakes to make up for meals, but you don't really need to increase your protein too much (I'd say 1g/lb of bodyweight is fine, I recently read Lyle McDonald recommending 1.4 but I'd say anywhere from 200-250g/day is reasonable for yourself.

Also you're much better off with ground oats + milk etc as a home made shake than a gainer, you really don't want all those poor carbs that you find in gainers IMO.

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
Steveoph

Thanks for the info.

I actually do as you said, I prepare most of my meals on Sunday( got to love the grill ).

But my delima is when traveling. Its hard to get a healthy meal in an airport.

I can arrange my hotel close to gyms or someplace to get a workout in, but the 6 meals a day is tough while on the road.
Thats why I thought I would look at MRP or premixed protein drinks. Just trying to keep my current progress moving forward during the next 4-6 weeks of my hectic work schedule.

Thanks again for the advice.