Multi Vitamins are they really a scam?

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
I have always thought multi vitamins where useless. The reason is my urine is dark yellow, so I must just be peeing it out. I was wondering do you guys think this is true. Also I have heard that vitamins aren't from sources that the body can use efficiently, that they are just a waste. I am wondering what is everyones thoughts on this matter. Next are some brands of vitamins better that others?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you are peeing out the excess, at least you know you are giving your body enough....much better than a deficiency, IMO.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Only a scam if you don't have a perfect array of every color vegetable and fruit every day. For most people, they're quite important to a well-rounded diet.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
they help any person who doesnt consume proper amount. not a scam unless you eat the perfect amount of intake your body can handle

blitch01

Awards
No, they are not a scam.

I have always thought multi vitamins where useless. The reason is my urine is dark yellow, so I must just be peeing it out. I was wondering do you guys think this is true. Also I have heard that vitamins aren't from sources that the body can use efficiently, that they are just a waste. I am wondering what is everyones thoughts on this matter. Next are some brands of vitamins better that others?
Dark urine is fine, some vitamins and minerals are fat soluble and some are water soluble, you are seeing some of the excess water soluble ones eliminated via urine. You have excess because it would be practically impossible to use every molecule in the vitamin pill before eliminating some of it through your regular digestion and excretion processes.

Some doctors will spout of cute little cliches like "expensive urine" and claim one can get everything they need from a proper diet. Maybe that is true for the typical person (although I'm not totally sold on that either) but if you're lifting you're not typical. What would you rather do? Spend the extra 20 to 30 or 40 bucks on a good multi-vitamin/mineral or chance not getting enough of what your body needs and losing gains and performance?

Mostly the doctor thing has more to do with how scientists handle data and generalize to models that "best fit" the populous. than any kind of conspiracy against supplements. Anyone bodybuilding should make sure he or she has a doctor on the same wave-length as far as technology and nutrition/training goes. Forget the general practitioner who still hasn't realized an entire literature in support of creatine exists. :)

As far as what kind of multi-vitamin to take, you will need to research that. Most solid pill form are chelated. Google it and you can read what chelated means. Same with the other forms.

Hope that helps.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
I think that some definitely are a scam..however most are exactly what they say they are. I will try to look it up, but there is an accurate way of being able to tell if they are a scam or not.

has something to do with water and vinegar...but I don't remember the percentages of each.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Given the exhaustion of US farm soils, trace minerals and mineral-dependent enzymes are all but absent from our food supply; vitamin levels are low due to the fact that produce is picked long before it ripens, to accommodate the time required for the delivery chain, so enzymatic action has little chance - the produce may be be large, firm & brightly-colored, but largely tasteless and not exactly nutrient-dense; much of what nutrition remains (beyond the macros) is damaged (if not eliminated) during canning, freeze-drying, transportation and storage.

Witness the herds of over-fed and under-nourished upright bovines we have staggering around.

As for vitamins & scams. They're called vitamins as a contraction of "vital amines" - vital because our bodies can't make them: we must consume them, and in sufficient quantities. There's plenty of good, solid science here, so learn to be an informed consumer In both senses).

There are in fact, plenty of snake-oil salesmen in the supplement business, and vitamins are a big part of the supplement business, and they're easy enough to find - or at least recognise; however, vitamins are not scams. Once again, it's important to know what the major vitamins, minerals and other nutrients are, and what they do for you; otherwise, it's very difficult to be an informed consumer. Learn to think beyond the macros.

For one thing, there are reputable brands, and what you might call 'bar-code' brands - most of these show up as "house" brands, and are what you'll find at the corner drug store, or the grocery; these are generally made, packaged, shipped, stored, bottled, labeled, shipped and stored on a commodity basis. They are minimal potency, w/ no particular care taken in their production & distribution: a low-to-medium-quality product with a shelf-life, a too-low dose, and sometimes in elemental forms that are useless to us (classic example I guess is ferric oxide, put in pre-natal vitamins to make sure pregnant women get enough iron: problem is, our bodies can't make use of ferric oxide, so the only effect is constipation).

The (*ahem*) respectable brands tend to use higher-quality ingredients/raws/extractions, handle them more carefully, tend to spend a lot of money & ingenuity on processing methods that preserve as much as possible the nutritional value of whatever it is, they package their products more carefully, they keep in touch with actual research. My multi is Daily One from TwinLab, without iron. I take one at each of my 3 main meals.

About pissing yellow: that's B-1 (if it's the fluorescent yellow; if it's the dark, stinky yellow, you're dehydrated)): like the rest of the B-complex (and C), it's water-soluble, which means that anything your body hasn't used yet will cycle out in a few hours. Which means it should be re-dosed every few hours, as blood-levels are important (have I heard that somewhere before?).

Last edited:

jdev

Awards
  • Established
I don't think that some of the more expensive multi's are necessary (The ones with several tablets per serving, but a good multi from NOW such as Vit-Min or ADAM would probably be helpful.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
look up the landmark study on pubmed. http://angieupnorth.wordpres.com/2007/10/27/uc-berkeley-landmark-study-published-cnn-and-others-to-air/

Peer Review of a recent clinical study conducted by the University of California Berkeley has been completed. This study has been dubbed the “Landmark Study” and will be the groundbreaking baseline for future clinical studies.

Shaklee Corporation based in Pleasonton, CA came out on top of it’s game as the ONLY company that has proof their vitamins and supplements work and have an impact on disease states.

Look at there results from taking a array of multiples.

50th Anniversary Landmark Study - Do vitamins and supplements really work? Read for yourself:

The groundbreaking study of long-term dietary supplement users showed that people who took Shaklee supplements had markedly better health than both multivitamin and non-supplement users alike.

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
I don't think that some of the more expensive multi's are necessary (The ones with several tablets per serving, but a good multi from NOW such as Vit-Min or ADAM would probably be helpful.

I take NOW's Adam. I think the stats are very good, and like you said, it is very affordable. I've found that it is the best combo of value and quality.

UofIlifting11

Awards
look up the landmark study on pubmed. http://angieupnorth.wordpres.com/2007/10/27/uc-berkeley-landmark-study-published-cnn-and-others-to-air/

Peer Review of a recent clinical study conducted by the University of California Berkeley has been completed. This study has been dubbed the “Landmark Study” and will be the groundbreaking baseline for future clinical studies.

Shaklee Corporation based in Pleasonton, CA came out on top of it’s game as the ONLY company that has proof their vitamins and supplements work and have an impact on disease states.

Look at there results from taking a array of multiples.

50th Anniversary Landmark Study - Do vitamins and supplements really work? Read for yourself:

The groundbreaking study of long-term dietary supplement users showed that people who took Shaklee supplements had markedly better health than both multivitamin and non-supplement users alike.
your link didn't work

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Odd. Well luckly I copied the info so that incase of the link not working which has happened before you still have the information. You can always pubmed the study.