Confused as hell and need advice

cas6708

Awards
I want to gain size and lose body fat. My stats are:
30 years old
5'10"
155 lbs
about 18-20% bf at least according to a cheap scale from wal-mart that calculates bf and weight. I hope I'm not that fat.

I have read so much stuff on so many different forums that I really don't know what to do. I have thought about legal and illegal but just looking for advice right now.

Back in November 07 I did a cycle of H-drol at 50/75/75/75 with a daily vitamin and then Novla and Post Cycle Support afterwards. I noticed a really good increase in strength in bench and curls but not much bf reduction. And I was going to the gym 4 days a week.

Before that I was trying all kinds of stuff like BNS No-Xplode, Nitrix, Animal Pak, HydroxyCut Hardcore all at the same time. During both of these periods I was eating 5-6 times a day and getting about 160 grams of protein a day. My diet was very healthy. I stay away from almost everything with High Fructose Corn Syrup and haven't had more than 1 or 2 sodas a month for over a year.

I stopped working out in December 07 because I got into a relationship and focused on that too much and we just couldn't stand to be away from each other. Well that took a turn for the worst recently and now I need to get back into the gym hardcore. I have thought about another cycle at higher doses of H-drol but I didn't see as much of an effect as I wanted to last time. My weight stayed the same so I am sure I probably lost a little fat but it wasn't much.

What can I provide so that some of you can point me in the right direction as to what I can try now. I want to lose 10% bf and gain size. Any suggestions to help clear my confusion on all the products out there?

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
First i'd start a proper diet and training and get back into the groove while researching different cut stacks....the after proper research ask question about specifics...i def wouldnt go straight with hdrol.... Just my opinion...

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Firstly as sad as it might be to hear, that bf% is probably correct. up to 19.9% is normal for your age. It's still on the high end of normal...but normal nonetheless.

I agree with Box. You absolutely have to be on a tight diet and training regimen before even contemplating supps. Supplements do what they are supposed to and that is to supplement your diet...not to overcome it. Make sure your routine is solid and your diet even more solid before thinking about supps.

I can make suggestions as much as you want for products like fat burners but the fact of the matter is, that everyone's body is different and everyone reacts differently to certain products. The only things that are a constant are the staples (bcaa, protein, multi, fish oil). Something else that you must know is losing 10% BF isn't something that will happen on 1 or 2 cycles...it's something you need to be comitted to over a good period of time. Make sure your dedication is in the right place before advancing.

Anything else I can add would come from more info from you. If you'd like further advice feel free to PM..

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
best thing I can recommend, don't take anything!

get your diet and training in check before you start worrying about supps. With your stats your body should be very willing to add some lean mass and drop some bf.

if you don't have the energy for a good workout then I might recommend something like RPM as a pre workout supplement.

also, halo is a steroid...last resort for when you've hit your natural plateau, not as a cheat.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
There are certain supps that work well while getting your diet in check though, don't you agree?

I mean...for all we know he could be using a $6 tub of wal mart protein and taking no essentials like fish oils.

Certain supplemention at first is good...but something like a H-Drol can certainly wait. I wouldn't recommend that stuff anyway.

Saurabh

Awards
What can I provide so that some of you can point me in the right direction as to what I can try now. I want to lose 10% bf and gain size. Any suggestions to help clear my confusion on all the products out there?
The only advise I will give you(for now) is to keep it simple. Stop trying to get the best of both worlds - getting stronger while losing fat. Instead try to lose fat first. Cardio is your best friend. Doesnt matter what supplements you take unless you do cardio regularly you wont lose fat.

That plus healthy eating.

I would recommend 3-4 months of solid cardio, trying to lose say 10 pounds. After that start building muscles but dont do the two together.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
It's one or the other, either you lose fat first then bulk or bulk more(gain more fat) then cut. If you do both you'll have a loooong run bro ans maybe by december you'll get a half decent physique by 100% strict diet. Judging my your stats I'd cut until 12-13% bodyfat then bulk from there.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The only advise I will give you(for now) is to keep it simple. Stop trying to get the best of both worlds - getting stronger while losing fat. Instead try to lose fat first. Cardio is your best friend. Doesnt matter what supplements you take unless you do cardio regularly you wont lose fat.

That plus healthy eating.

I would recommend 3-4 months of solid cardio, trying to lose say 10 pounds. After that start building muscles but dont do the two together.
not to go back and forth, but I think the best way to get started is to focus on gaining muscle mass...one of the easiest ways to increase metabolism!

5'10" and 150 pounds...should easily get to 165! and then, once you have that extra muscle it's even easier to drop those unwanted pounds of fat. plus, you'll probably start losing some fat training anyways.

my thoughts exactly when it comes to keeping it simple though! I agree that some fish oil and a multi are important...but looks like he's fucusing on all the other stuff first.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
not to go back and forth, but I think the best way to get started is to focus on gaining muscle mass...one of the easiest ways to increase metabolism!

5'10" and 150 pounds...should easily get to 165! and then, once you have that extra muscle it's even easier to drop those unwanted pounds of fat. plus, you'll probably start losing some fat training anyways.

my thoughts exactly when it comes to keeping it simple though! I agree that some fish oil and a multi are important...but looks like he's fucusing on all the other stuff first.
you're right but unfortunately his bodyfat is 18-20%, that's freaking high at that height and weight... I'd almost say it's unhealthy.... I'd try and cut for a month religiously, cardio up ur a$$ etc.. then come back and post stats... don't forget to have a strict diet to a "T"

cas6708

Awards
Yeah I haven't tried the fish oil but I do take a normal men's daily. I feel like the problem though is that men in my family do not have much muscle. The only guys in my family who have ever achieved anything close to decent body was from roids. I don't want to go that way if I don't absolutely have to.

No I haven't done as much cardio as I should but I have been running about a mile before hitting the weights to get the blood going and I have also ordered a new bicycle and am going to start trying to ride to work every day. It's only about 5 miles but hopefully that will help with the cutting. More important to me is gaining some size though because I am very thin.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I guess I tend to advise focussing on all natural until you get to the point that you're not getting results any more...

basics:
  • ZMA - take it before you go to bed to maximize natural hormone levels
  • creatine mono - staple for putting on natural mass
  • protein - whey post workout, casien before you go to bed
  • fish oils (I prefer to take sesamin)
  • multi
  • lots of sleep
  • clean diet
IMO you don't need more than this right now.

I've been advocating weight training first because that's what has worked best for me...take a look at my progress pics in my profile. that said, I'm not saying it's what's best for you or anyone else.

also, have your doctor run a hormone profile on you...if your natural hormone levels are low then he can prescibe propper meds.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Del is absolutely right and yeah we all want to gain size but your body fat is too high man, any higher you're running a health risk. Just cardio your a$$ every day to shed some fat even if you lost muscle... get your body fat low and then bulk. There's many methods to that and this board can help you. A good start is what del said but if it were me I'd lower the body fat first.

cas6708

Awards
I did have a hormone check at my last physical, which I do every year. I was in good shape lipid wise and he said that my hormones were "within range".

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
I personally wouldn't run a mile before hitting the weights. Instead, do that the other way around. The fat burning properties from doing it the way I mentioned are MUCH greater than the way you're doing it now.

Also...IMO don't waste your money on casein protein. Eat cottage cheese before bed with some bcaa's and you're golden. Most casein has calcium in it which actually battles the effects of a ZMA product. So whichever you think would be more beneficial, take that road...doing both is almost like throwing money away.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I personally wouldn't run a mile before hitting the weights. Instead, do that the other way around. The fat burning properties from doing it the way I mentioned are MUCH greater than the way you're doing it now.
x 2 - a warm up is good, but the time you put in after weight training is well spent!

Also...IMO don't waste your money on casein protein. ... Most casein has calcium in it which actually battles the effects of a ZMA product. ...
I'll have to look into this...I didn't realize this!

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
I have PM'ed you with a link man.

Im sorry if it seemed as though I was battling your advice. I just wanted this guy to know all that he could before spending his money.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established

Also...IMO don't waste your money on casein protein. Eat cottage cheese before bed with some bcaa's and you're golden. Most casein has calcium in it which actually battles the effects of a ZMA product. So whichever you think would be more beneficial, take that road...doing both is almost like throwing money away.
BCAA before bed? I usually take Leutor 70(great product) 6 tabs 30 min before workout which it recommends. Do you think I should take it at night before bed? I was debating this.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
BCAA before bed? I usually take Leutor 70(great product) 6 tabs 30 min before workout which it recommends. Do you think I should take it at night before bed? I was debating this.
Im not sure...I dont really know much about that product. I use Xtend and I take it before bed because I know the difference between when I do and when I don't. 9 times out of 10 I will wake up feeling more refreshed when I do.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Im not sure...I dont really know much about that product. I use Xtend and I take it before bed because I know the difference between when I do and when I don't. 9 times out of 10 I will wake up feeling more refreshed when I do.
I'm gonna give it a shot then, thanks.

Saurabh

Awards
I recommend it too.

On most days my pre-bed meal is cottage cheese with some healthy fat. I also take an extra shake somewhere around 1:30am. To me this is important since I workout at 4:30 am and so am often on empty stomach. However downing a shake(casein based) at 1:30 pm isnt the best experience.

So for the past year or so I have switched to Xtend. It keeps me light and also helps me "hang" onto my muscles.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
This is the exact reason why I drink Xtend before bed. Shakes are entirely too heavy for me at that point of the night and Xtend helps you fill a bit while maintaining muscle mass.