Protein shortage- prices to go up

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Worldwide Dairy Shortage Causes Supplement Companies to Turn to Even Cheaper Protein Sources – Buyer Beware.
As the science behind the health-promoting effects of various milk components (most notably whey protein) continues to accumulate, various food manufacturers around the globe have become eager to include beneficial dairy components in their product offerings. Always at the forefront of nutritional science, the Asian marketplace especially has seen demand for dairy-based “functional foods” skyrocket in the past few years. (Not surprisingly, it seems that cultures which are not dominated by the pharmaceutically-driven model of disease treatment are usually more open to advances in nutritional science and the role of nutrition and disease.)

As basic economic theory dictates, this increase in demand on a global scale makes the supply of high-quality dairy ingredients a more precious and valuable commodity, and prices on the full spectrum of dairy components have begun to rise accordingly.

What Does The Global Economy Have To Do With My Protein Supplement?

Nutritional supplement companies in this country who produce dairy-based protein supplements have begun to feel the squeeze of increased raw material prices, and in an effort to maintain their huge profit margins, have employed a few more dirty tricks at the expense of you, the nutritional supplement consumer.

You may have already noticed that some major supplement companies have already begun to:
1) Use more of the relatively cheap whey protein concentrate in their formulas (as indicated by higher and higher cholesterol levels).
2) Raise prices on their protein supplements
3) Produce products using even cheaper (and potentially harmful) non-dairy protein sources like soy.

What’s Wrong With Soy?

To put it simply soy protein is an abysmal protein source for a protein supplement. Not only does soy contain potentially harmful compounds (phytoestrogens, phytates, trypsin inhibitors) which are not eliminated in the production of soy protein powder, but the industrial production of soy protein powder actually CREATES additional toxic elements (lysinolanine, nitrosamines) not found in other soy products.

Despite billions of dollars worth of marketing propaganda to the contrary, soy protein – the “miracle food” that was supposed to end world hunger, and supply us with an inexpensive and almost limitless supply of protein, has largely failed to live up to even the most conservative expectations. In fact, as the research on soy protein ingestion has progressed over the years, some VERY startling findings have shaken the faith of even the most fervent soy supporters.

As we reported in our whey protein article, when a major food industry (in this case the soy industry) wants to sell you a product that they would otherwise dispose of (soy meal from soy oil production) be VERY suspect of that foods quality. This warning is true for the cheaper whey protein concentrates (a residual element from cheese production) and is also true of soy protein powder.

Soy Protein and Hormonal Havoc

We have already shown that soy contains powerful estrogen-like chemicals, the two most notable being genistein and daidzein which can have negative effects on hormone synthesis, tissue growth, thyroid function, brain function, fertility, immunity, and cardiac function to name a few. In the past, these estrogen-like chemicals were thought (or perhaps hoped) to have anti-estrogen (and thus protective) effects on the tissues of the body, but as research progressed these compounds were shown to exhibit a decidedly ADDITIVE effect with estrogen, making both of these compounds synergistically toxic, instead of protective to cells.

Developmental effects of dietary phytoestrogens in...[Toxicol Sci. 1999] - PubMed Result

Dietary genistein exerts estrogenic effects upon t...[J Nutr. 1997] - PubMed Result

Unfortunately, the marketing department of most supplement companies only keeps up with the research when it’s good for the bottom line, so when studies like these emerge you’ll almost never hear about them.

Did We Mention That Money Makes The World Go ‘Round?

So, why is soy protein so widely used in “health” products, and why has soy noticed a re-emergence in protein supplements? The answer is simple – because it’s cheap. As we’ve discussed previously (in our article on trans fats, and in our article on food additives in nutritional supplements) the production of soy OIL – the most common oil in this country – found in every deep fryer in every restaurant throughout the land – leaves behind MOUNTAINS of soy meal from which soy protein is produced.

Even as a food for livestock, or as a food for starving populations in third world countries, soy protein never performed up to the optimistic expectations of the soy industry. A person who expects soy protein to nourish his or her body when it cannot even produce healthy livestock or protect the severely malnourished populations of a third world country has clearly bought into the soy industry’s marketing hype hook line and sinker – It is clear that if you want to perform at your best you must hold yourself to a higher standard of evidence than the marketing propaganda of the food and nutritional supplement industries.

Soy Rises From the Dead

A decade ago, in the light of emerging research, those of us in the nutritional supplement industry began to see somewhat of a grass-roots uprising against soy. As studies began to see the light of day indicating that soy could drastically lower testosterone levels, thyroid hormone, and reduce fertility, soy became anathema to some of the more discerning and health-conscious men and women who were exposed to the then cutting-edge research.

Bodybuilders especially – who are obviously looking to maximize their hormonal environment for muscle growth and fat loss, wouldn’t touch soy protein with a ten-foot barbell – and for good reason – not only did the scientific literature indicate that soy could cause a host of hormonal problems, but empirical observation indicated that athletes simply performed and recovered better with high quality proteins like whey protein isolate. (Along the same lines, while whey protein isolate is absorbed easily, soy protein is notoriously difficult to digest – all of the soy-marketing hype in the world isn’t enough to divert your attention away from that unpleasant rumbling in your intestines that comes along with high intakes of soy protein).

It’s Ten Years Later – And Soy Is Still Bad

But fast forward ten years and as the price of other proteins has increased, soy has begun to creep back into more and more protein supplements – even as the research continues to accumulate, implicating soy in an increasingly large number of metabolic disturbances.

As we’ve reported so often in the past, profit is king within the supplement industry, and most nutritional supplement companies will think nothing of producing the cheapest products that the market will allow – often at the expense of your health. They obviously think that their customers are easy to fool, and that given enough time they’ll be able to sell any ingredient they wish to a whole new generation of unsuspecting consumers.

So, What Is Soy’s Place In The Diet?

Any rational inclusion of soyfoods in the diet would contain low to modest amounts of fermented soy products like miso, tempeh, or natto. It is the fermentation method which deactivates many of the harmful “anti-nutrients” in soy while avoiding harmful compounds produced by the harsh alkaline treatment which soy protein isolate must undergo. Fermented soyfoods will still contain the phytoestrogens, so even these foods should be minimized or eliminated completely by children (with their developing endocrine system) and pregnant women.

As food for thought - it also may be the lactic acid bacteria produced in fermentation which is responsible for many of the health benefits attributed to soy (traditional Asian cultures always ate fermented soy products – not the processed soy protein isolate which is so common in this country).

In an interesting twist, much of the dairy usage which we previously mentioned is exploding in Asian countries is being used to produce fermented dairy products (super high-potency yogurts, kefir and the like). Maybe these Asian cultures knew (and continue to practice) something that goes largely unrecognized here in the West. Perhaps it’s the beneficial lactic acid bacteria of fermentation which offers the health benefits largely attributed to soy in traditional Asian cultures, and perhaps the soy itself would not offer the same benefits in an unfermented state. With their increasing use of probiotic-rich fermented dairy, these cultures may be inadvertently continuing a centuries-old legacy of good health brought about by traditional food preparation practices like fermentation.

Either way, soy protein isolate – like so much else in the nutritional supplements industry is really the nutritional equivalent of a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Largely because soy has been marketed as a panacea for decades, it often operates under the radar of our skepticism all the while undermining our health. And be forewarned, you’ll find it in more and more protein supplements (including protein bars and drinks) as time goes on, especially if dairy proteins remain in high demand.

source: (http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/1030155/18146548)

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
this looks almost like they're trying to say:
'Whey prices are gonna go up due to high demand. we'll call it a 'shortage' to make it sound less like price gouging. By the way, soy, is really, really bad. so even though we the supplement industry will be treating whey prices like it's gasoline, please don't go for anything that might be a lot cheaper, especially whey's main
alternative, soy.

On a side note, I find it reasonable that making soy your main protein source could be bad for men, with all the hormonal hype about it, but, a few grams here and there added to your supplemental nutrition setup probably is nothing to worry about. The article says that starving third world countries and livestock, when eating nothing but soy end up with nutritional issues I don't doubt it, but if I chose to live off of whey for more than 6 months, with almost no eggs, meat, veggie protein etc, I'm sure I'd end up with problems too. I've met vegan males with no health issues, who were bigger than me.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
yeah i try to keep my whey to only before & after WO's sometime as a shake meal. but ill second what you said bro. thought it was an interesting article worth AM's reading

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I know cnizz from trueprotein.com just said that the cost of whey concentrate will actually be dropping shortly. Add in one of the True Protein discount codes like PKM142 and you can afford whey again. sorry for the shameless dropping of my discount code for that site lol. T-nation just had an article about soy saying it wasn't really to horrible for men after all, just got to keep moderation in mind.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I know cnizz from trueprotein.com just said that the cost of whey concentrate will actually be dropping shortly. Add in one of the True Protein discount codes like PKM142 and you can afford whey again. sorry for the shameless dropping of my discount code for that site lol. T-nation just had an article about soy saying it wasn't really to horrible for men after all, just got to keep moderation in mind.
well all i know is prices at work just started increasing...so i dont see how it could already be dropping again?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
nother note: Whey Concentrate looks like it is dropping in the market, should be seeing some lowering prices soon!
He posted this last week in a different thread, got to love supply and demand.

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
i know. its rediculous the prices now. sams eas protein went fron 28$ for 6 lbs to 32$ for 5. its almost cheaper to buy a can of tuna and eat that post workout.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ummm what mix/blend were you purchasing from true protein??? didnt seem that affordable from what I saw.... On whey seems alot better priced...

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3) Produce products using even cheaper (and potentially harmful) non-dairy protein sources like soy.

What’s Wrong With Soy? nothing

To put it simply soy protein is an abysmal protein source for a protein supplement. Not only does soy contain potentially harmful compounds (phytoestrogens, phytates, trypsin inhibitors) not true again. They are to week to actually create ***** tits enless you directly inject estrogen which are not eliminated in the production of soy protein powder, but the industrial production of soy protein powder actually CREATES additional toxic elements (lysinolanine, nitrosamines) not found in other soy products not true. I just got blood work done and I am in perfect health. Also Soy does not have cholesterol which is a good thing. Do you want to talk about dangerous look at dairy.
http://notmilk.com/a.html

By Robert Cohen Executive Director

= ALLERGIES
"Dairy products may play a major role in the development of ALLERGIES, asthma, sleep difficulties, and migraine headaches."

Israel Journal of Medical Sciences 1983;19(9):806-809 Pediatrics 1989;84(4):595-603

"In reality, cow's milk, especially processed cow's milk, has been linked to a variety of health problems, including: mucous production, hemoglobin loss, childhood diabetes, heart disease, atherosclerosis, arthritis, kidney stones, mood swings, depression, irritability, ALLERGIES."

Townsend Medical Letter, May, 1995, Julie Klotter, MD

"At least 50% of all children in the United States are allergic to cow's milk, many undiagnosed. Dairy products are the leading cause of food allergy, often revealed by diarrhea, constipation, and fatigue. Many cases of asthma and sinus infections are reported to be relieved and even eliminated by cutting out dairy."

Natural Health, July, 1994, Nathaniel Mead, MD

"Formula-fed babies, at the age of three months, were secreting low levels of serum antibodies to bovine proteins contained in their formula."

"A Prospective Study of Humoral Immune Response to Cow Milk Antigens in the First Year of Life" Pediatric-Allergy-Immunology, August, 1994, 5(3)

"Most formula fed infants developed symptoms of ALLERGIC rejection to cow milk proteins before one month of age. About 50-70% experienced rashes or other skin symptoms, 50-60 percent gastrointestinal symptoms, and 20-30 percent respiratory symptoms. The recommended therapy is to avoid cow's milk."

"Epidemiological and Immunological Aspects of Cow's Milk Protein ALLERGY and Intolerance in Infancy." Pediatric-Allergy-Immunology, August, 1994, 5(5 Suppl.)

Robert Cohen author of: MILK A-Z

Despite billions of dollars worth of marketing propaganda to the contrary, soy protein – the “miracle food” that was supposed to end world hunger, and supply us with an inexpensive and almost limitless supply of protein, has largely failed to live up to even the most conservative expectations. In fact, as the research on soy protein ingestion has progressed over the years, some VERY startling findings have shaken the faith of even the most fervent soy supporters.

As we reported in our whey protein article, when a major food industry (in this case the soy industry) wants to sell you a product that they would otherwise dispose of (soy meal from soy oil production) be VERY suspect of that foods quality. This warning is true for the cheaper whey protein concentrates (a residual element from cheese production) and is also true of soy protein powder.

Soy Protein and Hormonal Havoc

We have already shown that soy contains powerful estrogen-like chemicals, the two most notable being genistein and daidzein which can have negative effects on hormone synthesis, tissue growth, thyroid function, brain function, fertility, immunity, and cardiac function to name a few. In the past, these estrogen-like chemicals were thought (or perhaps hoped) to have anti-estrogen (and thus protective) effects on the tissues of the body, but as research progressed these compounds were shown to exhibit a decidedly ADDITIVE effect with estrogen, making both of these compounds synergistically toxic, instead of protective to cells.

I have taken soy all my life and had no problems. Infact people say I look like I am on roids and I am actually not on roids. Some of the oldest people in the world are Japanese and the staple part of there diet is soy protein. Soy protein is a complete protein and has shorter chains of aminos compared to meat.

= ALLERGIES
"Dairy products may play a major role in the development of ALLERGIES, asthma, sleep difficulties, and migraine headaches."

Israel Journal of Medical Sciences 1983;19(9):806-809 Pediatrics 1989;84(4):595-603

"In reality, cow's milk, especially processed cow's milk, has been linked to a variety of health problems, including: mucous production, hemoglobin loss, childhood diabetes, heart disease, atherosclerosis, arthritis, kidney stones, mood swings, depression, irritability, ALLERGIES."

Townsend Medical Letter, May, 1995, Julie Klotter, MD

"At least 50% of all children in the United States are allergic to cow's milk, many undiagnosed. Dairy products are the leading cause of food allergy, often revealed by diarrhea, constipation, and fatigue. Many cases of asthma and sinus infections are reported to be relieved and even eliminated by cutting out dairy."

Natural Health, July, 1994, Nathaniel Mead, MD

"Formula-fed babies, at the age of three months, were secreting low levels of serum antibodies to bovine proteins contained in their formula."

"A Prospective Study of Humoral Immune Response to Cow Milk Antigens in the First Year of Life" Pediatric-Allergy-Immunology, August, 1994, 5(3)

"Most formula fed infants developed symptoms of ALLERGIC rejection to cow milk proteins before one month of age. About 50-70% experienced rashes or other skin symptoms, 50-60 percent gastrointestinal symptoms, and 20-30 percent respiratory symptoms. The recommended therapy is to avoid cow's milk."

"Epidemiological and Immunological Aspects of Cow's Milk Protein ALLERGY and Intolerance in Infancy." Pediatric-Allergy-Immunology, August, 1994, 5(5 Suppl.)

Robert Cohen author of: MILK A-Z
http://notmilk.com/a.html

http://notmilk.com/acidblood.html

Acidic Blood: Heart & Bone Disease

Food proteins are broken down by the human body into their
building blocks, amino acids. The amino acids are then used
to build new proteins. Proteins consist of 28 amino acids.
We manufacture 19 amino acids in our livers. Nine essential
amino acids must be obtained from the foods we eat. Many
people believe that animal and plant proteins are exactly
the same. That is not true.

One of those "essential" amino acids is methionine.

One needs methionine for many human metabolic functions
including digestion, detoxification of heavy metals, and
muscle metabolism. However, an excess of methionine can be
toxic and create that acid condition in your blood.

The center atom of methionine is sulfur. That's the problem.
Eat foods containing too much methionine, and your blood
will become acidic. The sulfur converts to sulfates and weak
forms of sulfuric acid. In order to neutralize the acid, in
its wisdom, the body leaches calcium from bones.

"Dietary protein increases production of acid in the blood
which can be neutralized by calcium mobilized from the
skeleton." {American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1995;
61,4}

Animal proteins contain more methionine than plant proteins.
Let's compare cow's milk to soymilk:

Methionine in 100 grams of soymilk: .040 grams
Methionine in 100 grams of whole milk: .083 grams
Methionine in 100 grams of skim milk: .099 grams

Now, let's compare 100 gram portions of tofu to meat:
(All of the meat products are lean and without skin)

Silken soft tofu: .074 grams of methionine
Hamburger: .282 grams of methionine
Hard boiled egg: .392 grams of methionine
Roast ham: .535 grams of methionine
Baked codfish: .679 grams of methionine
Swiss cheese .784 grams of methionine
Roast chicken: .801 grams of methionine

Why do nations with the highest rates of bone disease also
have the highest milk consumption rates? The highest rates
of osteoporosis are to be found in Denmark, Holland, Norway,
and Sweden.

We are told to consume 1000 milligrams per day of calcium.
Inuit Eskimos consume 3500 milligrams of calcium each day,
and by age 40 are crippled.

THE KEY TO OSTEOPOROSIS

It's not how much calcium you eat. It's how much calcium you
prevent from leaving your bones.

WHY DOES CALCIUM LEAVE BONES?

In 1988, N.A. Breslau and colleagues identified the
relationship between protein-rich diets and calcium
metabolism, noting that protein caused calcium loss. His
work was published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology
(1988;66:140-6).

A 1994 study published in the American Journal of Clinical
Nutrition (Remer T, Am J Clin Nutr 1994;59:1356-61) found
that animal proteins cause calcium to be leached from the
bones and excreted in the urine.

MORE SUPPORTING EVIDENCE:

"Osteoporosis is caused by a number of things, one of the
most important being too much dietary protein." {Science
1986;233, 4763}

"Even when eating 1,400 mg of calcium daily, one can lose up
to 4% of his or her bone mass each year while consuming a
high-protein diet." {American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
1979;32,4}

"Increasing one's protein intake by 100% may cause calcium
loss to double." {Journal of Nutrition, 1981; 111, 3}

"The average man in the US eats 175% more protein than the
recommended daily allowance and the average woman eats 144%
more." {Surgeon General's Report on Nutrition and Health,
1988}

"Consumption of dairy products, particularly at age 20
years, were associated with an increased risk of hip
fractures... metabolism of dietary protein causes increased
urinary excretion of calcium." {American Journal of
Epidemiology 1994;139}

Can it get worse? Absolutely.

The Framingham Heart Study is the largest and most exciting
heart study in the history of mankind. Some of the
highlights of this exhaustive 50 year study:

In 1960, Cigarette smoking was found to increase the risk of
heart disease.

In 1970, high blood pressure was found to increase the risk
of stroke.

During the 1980's, high levels of HDL cholesterol were found
to reduce risk of death from heart disease.

In the 1990's, homocysteines were identified as key factors
in heart attack deaths.

Homocysteines are normal breakdown products of METHIONINE
and are believed to exert a number of toxic effects in the
body. I recently spoke with the senior investigator of the
Framingham heart study, William Castelli, M.D. (E-mail:
[email protected]) Dr. Castelli has suggested that
an elevated homocysteine level is a risk factor for heart
disease. The first evidence of this was published in the
American Journal of Cardiology (Glueck, 1995;75:132Â*6).

Two recent publications resulting from Framingham data
indicate a positive correlation between cardiovascular
disease mortality and blood serum levels of homocysteine.

Bostom AG, et. al, Nonfasting plasma total homocysteine
levels and all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality in
elderly Framingham men and women. Arch Intern Med 1999;
159:1077-1080.

Bostom A.G., et. al, Nonfasting plasma total homocysteine
levels and stroke incidence in elderly persons: the
Framingham Study. Ann Intern Med 131[5], 352-355, 1999.

Robert Cohen, author of: MILK A-Z

That is just a few things. I can go on and on about meat and dairy.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
ummm what mix/blend were you purchasing from true protein??? didnt seem that affordable from what I saw.... On whey seems alot better priced...
I actually just got a ton of MPI from all the whey, but TP's pretty competative if you live in the west coast and shipping is crazy, for me though its much cheaper going with allthewhey, or stocking up a vs when they have a good price.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I get all my stuff at 20+% off all the time.

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
it seems like anything thats good for you these days cost more