back pumps: why? NO PH or AAS

dafox

Awards
  • Established
So I've been having issues with back pumps while running. Or at least what i think must be back pumps: the lower back starts hurting not at the spine, but around the kidney area.
I'm do not take PH, or AAS, or anything hormone related. I even went off of creatine mono to see it that would help. Otherwise I use whey, BCAAs, and bulk arginine pills. Do I need to be drinking more water or something?
I've only really ever seen this associated with PH or steroid use, so I was just wondering what could be causing this. Is there a supplement that I could use, or stop taking to alleviate this?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've only really ever seen this associated with PH or steroid use, so I was just wondering what could be causing this.
Does this happen during a specific exercise in particular.

I have seen people at he gym use form so bad for exercises that by watching them you cannot tell what the target muscle was.

If you are lifting heavy weights (or even light weight) with poor form you will stress your lower back.

Behemoth1

Awards
  • Established
If you are lifting heavy weights (or even light weight) with poor form you will stress your lower back.

he said it happens when, he's running. in which case it could be your shoes. do you have proper crosstrainers or running shoes? I've seen people jog in adidas shelltoes and other flat footed shoes, that can cause stress in your lower back as well

dafox

Awards
  • Established
I do have some new balance running shoes, but they are getting old fast. Now that you mention it, I don't remember the pain being like this at all when I first got the shoes.
Behemoth1, any brands you would recommend? is crosstrainers a brand?
For some reason, I thought that good running shoes would only affect shin splints, but now that I think about it, you have a really good point.
Just to clarify, the pain is when I run, not when I do dead lifts or squats.

Behemoth1

Awards
  • Established
nope, crosstrainers are a type of shoe. Shoe stores will have them in categories lik Walking, Running, Crosstrainers. Crosstrainers are more of an "all around" type of shoe. good for everything. not really an expert on running shoes though so i wont sit here and pretend like i am. however i'd imagine if you stick with the popular brands; adidas, nike etc. you can't really go wrong.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
I do have some new balance running shoes, but they are getting old fast. Now that you mention it, I don't remember the pain being like this at all when I first got the shoes.
Behemoth1, any brands you would recommend? is crosstrainers a brand?
For some reason, I thought that good running shoes would only affect shin splints, but now that I think about it, you have a really good point.
Just to clarify, the pain is when I run, not when I do dead lifts or squats.
I highly recommend this website:

[URL="http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/?sc=CX180016&prfc=5&PartnerName=Just%20Jewelry%20Savings"]http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/?sc=CX180016&prfc=5&PartnerName=Just%20Jewelry%20Savings[/URL]

You can go through a little Q&A (called ShoeDog) to determine what type of running shoe is best for you. You can even call and talk through it with an expert. All shoes are NOT the same. Some are better for light people, some for heavier people. Some are better for people with high arches, others are for people with low arches. If you get the wrong shoe, you will likely feel some form of pain when you run.

Good luck.

TheAnimalG

TheAnimalG

Awards
I've had pains like this in the past, but it was usually when I was pushing my limits with the salt intake. It was like some limit to my kidneys... Perhaps I was dehydrated and eating too much salt on top of it, and I would get pretty much what everyone describes as "back pumps". In fact, I have a theory that back pumps are really just stress on your kidneys, and nothing to do with the muscles in your back. (but I have nothing to back that up yet)

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
I've had pains like this in the past, but it was usually when I was pushing my limits with the salt intake. It was like some limit to my kidneys... Perhaps I was dehydrated and eating too much salt on top of it, and I would get pretty much what everyone describes as "back pumps". In fact, I have a theory that back pumps are really just stress on your kidneys, and nothing to do with the muscles in your back. (but I have nothing to back that up yet)

You don't need anything to back up that theory. That IS what back pumps are. It has nothing at all to do with the muscles in your back. It's kidney pain.

If you're on cycle, things like taurine help. But the most important thing is hydration. I have my own theory that many people on cycle are not drinking enough water.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
he said it happens when, he's running. in which case it could be your shoes. do you have proper crosstrainers or running shoes? I've seen people jog in adidas shelltoes and other flat footed shoes, that can cause stress in your lower back as well
Missed it.

Still, I'll concur with the theory that it is back stress. I'll also concur that shitty feet and shitty shoes make my back hurt (pump/cramp) as well when doing more intense treadmill work.

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
You don't need anything to back up that theory. That IS what back pumps are. It has nothing at all to do with the muscles in your back. It's kidney pain.

If you're on cycle, things like taurine help. But the most important thing is hydration. I have my own theory that many people on cycle are not drinking enough water.
Yep, had the hydration problem about 3 days back, back pumps and a bit of pain in the kidney area. I was drinking a LOT of water at the beginning of my cycle, then slacked off a bit. If you don't mind me being a bit graphic, pee was a rich yellow. Scared me a bit, and I immediately chugged half a gallon of water about 10 minutes when I got back to my place. For the past 3 days I've been drinking a TON of water. This has cleared up the pain, and pee is back to a very clear yellow.

dafox

Awards
  • Established
yeah, I actually monitor my urine color. LOL, I know.:run:
It doesn't look too yellow most of the time, but yesterday was the latest worst pumps, and I wasn't too hydrated... I hadn't had to go to the bathroom much either, which is also kind of a sign.
so I will try to increase my water intake and then get new shoes this weekend. I might update here based on whether or not drinking more helps, only if anyone is interested.

dafox

Awards
  • Established