The High Cost of Whey

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I havent bought whey protien for at least 3 months or so. When I ran out of my last 5lb can, I just started eating a can of tuna pwo with some simple carbs.

Honestly, I noticed no difference in muscle accrual or recovery time.

However, I figured id get back on the bandwagon and I headed over to NP to order a 5lb jug of Optimum Whey, which is the brand I always use.

And damn if I didnt nearly **** a brick when I saw its up to $43!!! I knew the price of whey was going up, but this is nearly double what we were paying a year ago.

Personally, I dont think its worth it.

$.53 for 23g of protien seems like an awful lot - Whey is no longer cost effective compared to lean solid sources like chicken, fish, etc.

A 1kg tub of Xtend and a big package of chicken from Sam's Club seems like it would stretch a lot further, and provide better results, for the money.

What do you guys think? I know the fast acting protien is a staple in a lot of our diets - but at its current cost it doesnt seem worth it.

BV

AM07

Awards
  • Established
I purchase it strictly for the taste. I don't even use PWO shakes anymore, just have a solid meal. The only time I use my ON whey is a scoop in the morning with my cereal, and maybe at night before I go to sleep.

With increasing gas prices and increasing corn prices due to dumbasses thinking ethanol will save the planet, the cost of everything else goes up.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I usually get mine from Sam's club. But that price has gone up too. Maybe it would be cheaper to buy my own cow?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I usually get mine from Sam's club. But that price has gone up too. Maybe it would be cheaper to buy my own cow?
LOL it could be...AM07 that's what I was using protien for as well - as a meal replacement for a quick breakfast.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I've gone from 3 or so shakes a day to just my PWO.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I noticed a drmatic cost increase as well. I'm trying to cut down, but it's so convienient when I'm running out the door.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Everything is Fu***** going up in price.... Just wait, you'll see the supplement industry feel it when people can't afford it and stop buying.... My wife is a manager at Shaw's and can't believe how much food has gone up.... This is only the start of bad things to come. :dump:

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
yes protein is high but i dont get enough from just food, im on the go alot and shakes are a must.