1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.06%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

aspartame

Sweet Remedy: The World Reacts to an Adulterated Food Supply - FULL DOCUMENTARY

I was looking at some of the protein powders and bars I got and realized it had aspartame in it. Any one else notice that too. I just got done watching the video.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.93%

I know I have to avoid all the products that have aspartame in them...it give me really bad headaches.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.06%

Do any of the companies that are sponsored on this board use them on there products?
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89%

I have read studies and seen videos that say the exact opposite of what this video says. Someone posted something the other day in the supplement article section that was a study that says aspartame is safe.

I'm sure you have heard that everything can be good in moderation. If you eat or drink a lot of aspartame or any other artificial sweetner, I am sure there are going to be side effects. If you eat or drink a lot of sugar, there are going to be side effects as well. I have seen studies from the sugar industry that basically says every artificial sweetner causes serious side effects.. Why on earth do you think they say that.. $$$$$$.

Eating a lot of sugar can cause a lot of serious side effects in humans. A lot of researchers are realizing this now (childhood obesity, diabetes, ect....) Take it for what you will. I am going to opt for the one with less calories since from what I read the side effects from sugar are the same a the side effects of artificial sweetner.

This, by the way, is posted on a board of a bunch of people taking new supplements that no one knows what the long term side effects are going to be. I would be worried about that instead of artificial sweetner
  5. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89%

Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    Do any of the companies that are sponsored on this board use them on there products?
    I am sure there are plenty of them. If they are not using sugar or high fructose corn syrup, they are using some form of artificial sweetner (aspartame, sucrolose, ect.......)
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.06%

why not stevia instead.
  7. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89%

why not stevia instead.
    I really am not familiar with stevia. I can't find it anywhere in the STL area. Right now I do try and stay away from aspartame, just because no one really knows if it is bad or not the jury is split 50/50. Right now I use no calorie Splenda which is sucrolose, maltodextrin, and dextrose.. It really tastes like sugar to me. I would be interested in trying stevia. How does it taste?
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.06%

Watch the video. Its natural and sweater than sugar and its for sure safe compared to aspartame etc.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.06%

I just finished the rest just now the last 20 min. Very good. Since some people say its safe some say its not why not just avoid it all together and use alternatives like stevia.
  10. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89%

Watch the video. Its natural and sweater than sugar and its for sure safe compared to aspartame etc.

I don't have the time to watch a 2 hr 20 minute video on aspartame. Splenda is all natural and sweeter than sugar too!! To save me time from having to watch all 2 hours of the video, why do they say it is safer? Is it because it is natural?

I just looked it up and it seems pretty promising. However, it looks like it's very expensive.
  11. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89%

I just finished the rest just now the last 20 min. Very good. Since some people say its safe some say its not why not just avoid it all together and use alternatives like stevia.
    That is what I do. I opt for products with sucrolose instead. However, if I don't have that choice, I would opt for the product with aspartame as opposed to the product with sugar.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.88%

I have tried Stevia and it has a real nasty bitter taste. There are studies for and against Stevia also. Who knows for sure. I like to use Splenda but keep it at moderate doses.
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.06%

Quote Originally Posted by Mattcc22 View Post
    I have tried Stevia and it has a real nasty bitter taste. There are studies for and against Stevia also. Who knows for sure. I like to use Splenda but keep it at moderate doses.
    I have not seen any published studies that say stevia something natural is bad. I avoid foods with sugar any way so I don't have a issue there. I don't use any thing that needs splenda or things similar.
  14. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89%

Quote Originally Posted by Mattcc22 View Post
    That is the reason I like splenda. It doesn't have that bitter taste that alot of artificial sweeteners have.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.28%
    Achievements Posting Pro

You can't really make a blanket statement on how sweeteners taste. The way that Stevia or Splenda, for example, tastes to me may not taste the same for you. I know quite a few people who do not like the taste of Splenda or Aspartame because they get a "chemical" taste out of it instead of a sweet taste. (see also: supertasters)

Also, you can pick up Stevia at most organic/natural foods supermarkets like Whole Foods. Or you can order a small bottle from NP.
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.88%

I didn't like Splenda at first. I had to get used to it, which didn't take that long, but I could never get used to the taste of stevia.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.88%

I have not seen any published studies that say stevia something natural is bad. I avoid foods with sugar any way so I don't have a issue there. I don't use any thing that needs splenda or things similar.

Here is an article with quite a few things to consider. There is a little about stevia at the end.

http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...etAndNutrition
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.82%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Stevia's pretty wacky tasting IMO. I'm sure I could get used to it, but splenda is already in a lot of healthy foods, so I just use it.

Similar Forum Threads

1. MSG/Aspartame Sensitivity
    By bdcc in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2010, 11:42 PM
  2. Aspartame
    By Spitdeath in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 12:43 PM
  3. aspartame cessation == feeling better
    By natiels in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2