Melatonin for sleep.

GuitarHero

GuitarHero

Awards
So I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping since I started working nights and I can't get to the Dr for another 2 months :( I bought some Melatonin (3mg) from Walmart the other night and I've decided to try it as a sleep aid, but I have some questions.

How often can this be taken as a sleep aid?? Since it's a hormone, is it bad to take regularly? Most studies only address use for a few days at a time, so should it only be used maybe once or twice a week so as not to screw with the natural production of the hormone?

Lastly, has anyone else here used it and had any success with it? If so, how long and often did you use it and at what dosage?

TIA -Matt

DefTek

DefTek

Awards
I take the 5mg tablets when working nights - only way I can stay asleep for more than 6hrs during the daytime. I also take some gaba in a protien shake or some other beverage about 30 minutes before bedtime. I have been doing this for three months and have had no adverse problems from this - I usually take it every other day or so.

mikinTx

FWIW, I take 3mg every night along with half a unisom tablet. Been doing this for past couple of years and haven't noticed any negative sides. The foundation that promotes life extension has some good info on the benefits of melatonin.

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
Supplementing with melatonin will cause your body to produce less of its own. Its best to cycle it or take it once in a while. You can try taking tryptophan an hour before bed. That always works really well for me and you can take it every night without problems.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Or Phenibut. I took 3mg of Melatonin with 1tsp of Phenibut around 7:30pm. I then took another 3mg of Melatonin about an hour ago. It's 11:30pm and I'm pretty out of it right now.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Or Phenibut. I took 3mg of Melatonin with 1tsp of Phenibut around 7:30pm. I then took another 3mg of Melatonin about an hour ago. It's 11:30pm and I'm pretty out of it right now.
dude dont tell me your quote was actually quoted from someone. If so that is the saddest person Ive ever seen in my life. :lol:

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Haha! Yes it was. If only they had a steroid that raised your IQ level.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Supplementing with melatonin will cause your body to produce less of its own...
Not necessarily. Age, lifestyle (including sleeping with lights on), working night shifts, and so on are some variables that ensure your body produces less-than-normal melatonin. Supplementation should definitely be recommended in such cases.

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
Not necessarily. Age, lifestyle (including sleeping with lights on), working night shifts, and so on are some variables that ensure your body produces less-than-normal melatonin. Supplementation should definitely be recommended in such cases.
Those are factors as well, but when you take melatonin every night, your body will produce less of its own. That's a proven fact that I've not only read, but heard from my doctor.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those are factors as well, but when you take melatonin every night, your body will produce less of its own. That's a proven fact that I've not only read, but heard from my doctor.
Sure, no hassles! Unfortunately, though, a lot of these things depend on whom you ask! There are also medical professionals that insist melatonin is one of the most potent anti-aging and antioxidant compounds in existence, and recommend that it be supplemented daily.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Try doing it in cycles.

I cycle 5 days on of 2 powerfulls + 1 3mg melatonin + 1 valerian root cap. I stay up a tiny bit later on the weekends, so I skip taking the stack on Friday and Saturday night.

GuitarHero

GuitarHero

Awards
thanks for all the help! I took it yesterday morning, slept great, and woke up refreshed, then this morning I again had no trouble falling asleep and slept sound again, so I think I'm going to try and just take it a couple times a week; maybe every other day.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
try customcapsule's mega sleep aid.

harlan100

harlan100

Awards
I have been taking melatonin since i started lifting weights now. i cant sleep without it, i take 3mg and can just about sleep, if i dont take it then there is no sleep for me (well about 3 hours) it annoys me so much.
are there any cures to it?

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have been taking melatonin since i started lifting weights now. i cant sleep without it, i take 3mg and can just about sleep, if i dont take it then there is no sleep for me (well about 3 hours) it annoys me so much.
5 shots of Whiskey.

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
Sure, no hassles! Unfortunately, though, a lot of these things depend on whom you ask! There are also medical professionals that insist melatonin is one of the most potent anti-aging and antioxidant compounds in existence, and recommend that it be supplemented daily.
Really? I wasn't aware of its anti-aging ability.

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established

are you taking too much pre-workout stims?? :)

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established

youve become dependant on sleep aids. I would suggest you try as hard as you can to get off them.

Some medications like lunesta,ambien,ambien CR cause you to become dependant on the drug to sleep. I would recommend you start dosing downward. Instead of 3mg take 2mg for sleep. The next night, lower it, and lower it until your not taking any. Try to avoid stims while trying to do this. They may make it even harder to sleep.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really? I wasn't aware of its anti-aging ability.
It does this by helping to stimulate the production of immune cells and protecting the integrity of the DNA.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
5 shots of Whiskey.

Single barrel, small batch, Elijah Craig. But as far as melatonin, love the stuff but anything under like 9mgs doesnt even touch me.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
...But as far as melatonin, love the stuff but anything under like 9mgs doesnt even touch me.
That is usually a dose for therapeutic applications!

...Melatonin is what released from going in the sun, im guessing most people know this but i figured id throw it in.
You probably meant the hormone, cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3).

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
You probably meant the hormone, cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3).
Definitly melanin. I misspoke. "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

It's interesting that my melanin release increases with melatonin supplementation. Normally i can't go out in the sun without burning, but after i started supping with melatonin i just tan.

GuitarHero

GuitarHero

Awards
Just something of note for any fellow night shifters, I remember seeing a study a while back linking night shift work and cancer.

The study indicates that it is likely the lack of melatonin (which is also a powerful anti-oxidant) production that contributes to an increased risk of cancer. Melatonin is generally produced at night time while in the dark, but those who work nights are generally working in a bright environment at night time... :(

In light of all this, maybe it's good for those of us who work nights to semi-regularly use supplemental melatonin before sleeping.

Here's the link: Graveyard shift linked to cancer risk - Cancer - MSNBC.com

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Tryptophan + B6 + B3 (niacinamide) will indirectly increase your own melatonin production. Phenibut is great but you get tolerance quickly.

biggerthantex

biggerthantex

Awards
yeah you should become dependant on melatonin... it is homeopathic.... it must be some else... you might want to take any type of vitamin or stimulant later in the afternoon and see what that does.....

GuitarHero

GuitarHero

Awards
yeah you should become dependant on melatonin... it is homeopathic.... it must be some else... you might want to take any type of vitamin or stimulant later in the afternoon and see what that does.....
Not exactly sure what you're trying to say... :stick:

We're not talking about homeopathic melatonin.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin would lie in the realm of orthomolecular treatment.

Use of MJ spikes melatonin levels dramatically which is why many use it as a sleep aid.

MattRoeske

MattRoeske

Awards
  • Established
Ive been taking it regularly for now about ~A year. And Went from 1mg Now up to 3-6mg depending on what i feel like taking. I dont believe it affects you and it's probably more beneficial then anything else because your body naturally makes it.. and some people lack what is naturally made, thus they need to supp. in order to stay at a balanced level.

I usually take it about 40 Mins prior to bed and i wake up feeling refreshed. Without it... My body cannot function from 8am - to 12pm until my body realizes i'm awake. But with the melatonin supp. I feel refreshed and amazing when i wake up. The only thing that sucks is probably have to take it for life, lol.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tryptophan + B6 + B3 (niacinamide) will indirectly increase your own melatonin production...
Good point. Tryptophan is a precursor to not only serotonin, but also niacin and melatonin. When cellular niacin levels are low, tryptophan is used to produce niacin. This needs to be taken into account when supplementing with tryptophan. Be sure you are getting enough niacin, otherwise tryptophan will be diverted to niacin manufacture. Regarding pyridoxine (B6), it promotes catabolism of tryptophan metabolites that compete with tryptophan itself for absorption into neural cells. This suggests that tryptophan supplementation would require pyridoxine for related metabolic processes. So, one should also make sure one has enough pyridoxine intake during tryptophan supplementation. One last thing: Lysine. Lysine competes with tryptophan in certain key metabolic processes. This means that when sufficient lysine is available, less tryptophan will need to be oxidized, leaving more tryptophan available for desired effects.
To summarize, for effective tryptophan supplementation for melatonin synthesis and related processes, it might be useful to increase intake of lysine, vitamin B3, and vitamin B6.

Avoid combining tryptophan with sedation-inducing compounds such as valerian, St. John's Wort, and so on.

harlan100

harlan100

Awards
youve become dependant on sleep aids. I would suggest you try as hard as you can to get off them.

Some medications like lunesta,ambien,ambien CR cause you to become dependant on the drug to sleep. I would recommend you start dosing downward. Instead of 3mg take 2mg for sleep. The next night, lower it, and lower it until your not taking any. Try to avoid stims while trying to do this. They may make it even harder to sleep.
well, i have been doing 1 day on 1 day off and recently i have been not using them at all there is a difference but im still sleeping. It feels real good to not take them all the time now lol.

pre workout stims? well i have 30g whey bananna and milk then a coffee?
thx for the replys though