Now shark cartilage, worth it?

bigpoppapump2

bigpoppapump2

Awards
  • Established
never taken it but it would be cool to tell people "yup. shark cartilage got me huge!"

ministeroweight

ministeroweight

Awards
Shark Cartilage

Shark cartilage has been shown to inhibit the formation and growth of new blood vessels. A process called angiogenesis. From a bodybuilding stand point, it would be the last thing you want, otherwise it may be benificial for arthritis or cancer.

nephilim666

nephilim666

Awards
  • Established
helped get rid of my tendonitis in my shoulder and elbow..

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I think it's pure junk and deceptive marketing at its finest. I remember it being touted as the pinacle in cancer preventatives. As you may or may not know sharks don't develop cancer, though this is somewhat debateable in iteself. So by taking some shark product you too can harness these benefits. But the reality is that sharks don't develop certain ailments as readily as people due to their genetic makeup. I believe they are more resistant to DNA damage and have a better repair system hence the lower incidence of cancer or other afflictions. So unless you find some sort of gene doping you won't be deriving any benefits. I could delve further into the subject matter but it is probably not warranted.

PappaD

PappaD

Awards
According to another thread you should "drink your own pee!" LOL

Urine is not a dirty and toxic substance rejected by the body. Urine is a by-product of blood filtration, not waste filtration. Medically it is referred to as "plasma ultrafiltrate". It is a purified derivative of the blood itself, made by the kidneys--whose principal function is not excretion but regulation of all the elements and their concentrations in the blood. Urine can be compared to leftovers from a meal, and this metaphor may help us understand why our bodies excrete elements that are valuable to our health and well-being.

Nutrient-filled blood passes through the liver where toxins are removed to be excreted as solid waste. Eventually, this purified "clean" blood undergoes a filtering process in the kidneys, where excess water, salts, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, antibodies, urea, uric acid and other elements not usable at that time by the body are collected in the form of a purified, sterile, watery solution that is urine. The function of the kidneys is to keep the various elements in the blood balanced. The important elements in the blood are not filtered out because they are toxic and harmful to the body, but simply because the body does not need a particular concentration of an element at that specific point in time. It is this very regulating process of the kidneys that allows us to eat and drink more than our bodies need at any one time.

Urine is considered to be an invaluable source of nourishment and healing that perhaps has been too controversial or not financially rewarding enough for it to be talked about and encouraged as a potent medicine. One's own urine, a living food, contains elements that are specific to one's body alone. The body is constantly producing a huge variety of antibodies, hormones, enzymes and other natural chemicals to regulate and control its functions and combat imbalances that one may not be aware of. --

Clinical studies have proved that the thousands of critical body chemicals and nutrients that end up in urine reflect the individual body's functions. When re-utilised, these chemicals and nutrients act as natural vaccines, antibacterial, antiviral and anticarcinogenic agents as well as hormone balancers and allergy relievers. The information that urine contains therefore cannot be duplicated or derived from any other source. Just as nature produces no two people who are exactly the same, there are no two urine samples in the world that contain exactly the same components. more

"Don't take this therapy lightly. Multiple sclerosis, colitis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, hepatitis, hyperactivity, pancreatic insufficiency, psoriasis, eczema, diabetes, herpes, mononucleosis, adrenal failure, allergies and so many other ailments have been relieved through use of this therapy. After you overcome your initial gag response (I know I had one), you will realize that something big is going on, and if you are searching for health, this is an area to investigate. There are numerous reports and double blind studies which go back to the turn of the century supporting the efficacy of using urine for health." Biomed

Urine therapy can be a very effective healing modality. Sometimes when all else fails, urine therapy will turn a person around. Excerpt from Biomedx.com

Ms. Christy was sick. Very sick. For a very long time. Pelvic inflammatory disease, ulcerative colitis, Chron's disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, Hashimoto's disease, mononucleosis. She had severe kidney infections, two miscarriages, chronic cystitis, severe candida, endometriosis, adrenal insufficiency, serious chronic ear and sinus infections, food and chemical allergies. And that wasn't the half of it. She had every conceivable medical test, her share of surgery, and drugs - plenty of them. Then she tried all forms of alternative therapy. Homeopathy, herbs, mega-vitamins and liv-cell treatments in Mexico. After traditional medicine failed to work, she and her husband spent over $100,000 trying to get her well with alternative approaches. Nothing worked.

And then one day, her husband brought home a little book that told of how individuals had been cured of even the worst diseases with a seemingly strange and little-known natural therapy. Soon afterwards, she began the therapy herself. From the first day she began, she received almost instantaneous relief from her incurable constipation and fluid retention. Within a week, her severe abdominal and pelvic pain was gone. The chronic cystitis and yeast infections (internal and external) soon disappeared and her food allergies, exhaustion, and digestive problems all began to heal. After a few more months, her colds, flu, sore throats and on again off again viral symptoms disappeared. Her hair which had fallen out by the handfuls after her fifth surgery became thick and lustrous. Her weight normalized, and her energy and strength came back. After nearly 30 years of non-stop illness, Martha Christy was whole again.

What was this therapy that she had discovered? What was this therapy that has helped seriously ill patients gain complete remissions from their afflictions? What was it that she actually did? Well, here it is. She orally and medicinally re-consumed her own urine. read the rest: Urine Therapy: Your Own Perfect Medicine by Martha Christy

Urine Therapy: A cure for all diseases

Flay

Awards
I don't have any of those illnesses so the urine method will have to wait.. lol
Any other supplements I can take for joint health? or perhaps even food? I'm not sure if there's any specific foods that help joints stay healthy..

Tiny Man

Awards
I think it's pure junk and deceptive marketing at its finest. I remember it being touted as the pinacle in cancer preventatives. As you may or may not know sharks don't develop cancer, though this is somewhat debateable in iteself. So by taking some shark product you too can harness these benefits. But the reality is that sharks don't develop certain ailments as readily as people due to their genetic makeup. I believe they are more resistant to DNA damage and have a better repair system hence the lower incidence of cancer or other afflictions. So unless you find some sort of gene doping you won't be deriving any benefits. I could delve further into the subject matter but it is probably not warranted.
Sharks do in fact develop cancer. This was a touted notion by purveyors of junk products in order to sell their new miracle product - the scum of marketeers making up facts to sell their crap. It was however, not detected for a long time (largely because it wasn't a subject many actual scientists pursued), and a few selectively chosen studies by supporters to make the case. It is not just debatable... the notion is entirely unsound. I'm not sure where the evidence of superior DNA repair comes from either to be honest, I have never even heard of that before; can you link me to some information on it?

The genetic makeup really is not of any important significance though, quite frankly - it will not have any impact on ours. Bottom line - I see no current reason that shark cartilage has any place within supplementation whatsoever. For the small benefits that it does have (such as nutrients that get derived from cartilage), there are plenty of other sources to get it from.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i know it's not the same thing but i can't get those images out of my head where they harvest shark fins - mostly for oriental soups.

they cut the fins off and then throw back the shark alive into the ocean to die. it's brutal!

Tiny Man

Awards
i know it's not the same thing but i can't get those images out of my head where they harvest shark fins - mostly for oriental soups.

they cut the fins off and then throw back the shark alive into the ocean to die. it's brutal!
Yep, the process is known as finning. Once the shark is returned into the water, it will attract more sharks (most top predators are cannabalistic/opportunist) from miles away, which gets you some more fins. It's a sickening practice on it's own - and it is actually related to shark cartilage supplements :).

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The sourcing or harvesting methods for this product are quite atrocious and reason enough for condemnation of said products. And then you have the marketing BS and it's just hte icing on the cake.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder what would happen if I drank me pee during me planned H-Drol cycle and PCT...

... yeah...

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder what would happen if I drank me pee during me planned H-Drol cycle and PCT...

... yeah...
Patches O'Houlihan?!

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
My cycle starts tomorrow, so I may just do it haha