• concentrates

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • blends

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no preference

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • no staple, I use a situational variety of each.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I use a non-whey supplement

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
With all the variations of whey available, which is your favorite? feel free to add why in the thread.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Alll depends on the time of day you use it. For an all-time protein, I use a casein whey blend. (Ultra Peptide)

For post workout. I usually use the best fastest isolate I can find.

stl123

stl123

Awards
  • Established
I am taking concentrate right now. It works for me. Plus the place I get it at sells if for $30 out the door for 5lbs. The flavor I get is really hard to beat (moccachino delight). I actually look forward to drinking it.

I was reading a post by Rodja in another thread about Whey Isolate. He brought something to my attention that I didn't know before about Isolate. He said that "It digests too quickly and creates an acidic environment, which can lead to a negative nitrogen balance." :jaw:

Credit Rodja for the quotes. I am very glad he posted that being that I was going to purchase a 10lb container of Isolate in a little while. I am now debating it.

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
I prefer Isolate but buy concentrate, cause Isolate got too expensive too fast...and the only thing I liked about Isolate was the flavors really...and that I can live without.

:burger:

Ev52

Ev52

Awards
  • Established
Fast absorbtion is crucial post workout and that is when you want to use fast absorbing isolates. I believe Rodja was referring to when you are on a cut because you want a steady release of amino acids from a slow digesting protein and not isolate. However, I still believe isolate is crucial for you pwo shake with a combination of slow digesting protein while you are on a cut.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I was reading a post by Rodja in another thread about Whey Isolate. He brought something to my attention that I didn't know before about Isolate. He said that "It digests too quickly and creates an acidic environment, which can lead to a negative nitrogen balance." :jaw:
yeah in recent years martial artists, especially any with any exposure to BJJ are becoming very concerned with the Ph balance of their diets. I haven't really looked into why though.

stl123

stl123

Awards
  • Established
Fast absorbtion is crucial post workout and that is when you want to use fast absorbing isolates. I believe Rodja was referring to when you are on a cut because you want a steady release of amino acids from a slow digesting protein and not isolate. However, I still believe isolate is crucial for you pwo shake with a combination of slow digesting protein while you are on a cut.
You're right. He was referring to cutting. Forgot to mention that.

It turned me off because I am cutting right now!! :sad:

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I personally like the MPI from All the Whey for pre workout all year around. If I'm feeling spicy I buy whey isolate for post workout. For normal days and when I just need a protein fix I will use a Whey concentrate.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah in recent years martial artists, especially any with any exposure to BJJ are becoming very concerned with the Ph balance of their diets. I haven't really looked into why though.
Everyone should be concerned about their pH balance. Some sides of having a highly acidic diet are hypercortisolemia, mild hypothyroidism, and decreased IGF activity. I personally use MPI and add in some egg protein as well. I also take in ~25g of BCAAs throughout training, so I already have kickstarted protein synthesis through that.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everyone should be concerned about their pH balance. Some sides of having a highly acidic diet are hypercortisolemia, mild hypothyroidism, and decreased IGF activity. I personally use MPI and add in some egg protein as well. I also take in ~25g of BCAAs throughout training, so I already have kickstarted protein synthesis through that.
yea every1 should check the pH balance of their meals...it is something i recently have been looking in to and it has seemed to make me healthier and feel better now that i do.

now for the OP i prefer blends of protein...i love Ultra Peptide(casein+whey)

Behemoth1

Awards
  • Established
yea every1 should check the pH balance of their meals..

sounds like way too much work. there seems to be a new form of whey every 6 months. between the isolates, hydrolysis and peptides i'm honestly over it. whey is whey to me. not knocking anyones craft but as long as it's whey it's good for me as far as pwo goes.

B1ggie

B1ggie

Awards

Quick question, would taking a fiber supplement such as psyillium husk help nutreulize the pH?

B1ggie

B1ggie

Awards
Isolate

I use an Isolate and Isolate only. If I need to slow down digestion I add Macademia nut oil or almond butter to my shake.

Saurabh

Awards
Whey Protein Isolate. Generally low in lactose so no digestion issues a la Concentrate. Better absorbed as well, plus taste is much better too. I add macademia/almond butter to slow down digestion when needed.