Before Bed Protein

teribleturtle

Awards
Hello All, I understand that it is important and beneficial to have protein before bed. More specifically I often hear it mentioned that Casein protein is best due to its slow digesting qualities. Now being on a budget I dont exactly have much money to shell out for jugs of Casein along with the Whey that I buy. I was wondering if mixing a scoop of whey (25g protein) with a cup of milk can serve as a good substitute for casein, due to the slow digesting nature of milk. If so which type of milk do you all think will be most suitible for this type of shake, i.e Whole Milk, reduced fat, 2%, or fat free?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just eat a whole food meal before bed, i believe the whole casein idea is overplayed. Any quality protein source should be fine. In general though Casein can be found in dairy products like milk and cottage cheese.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hello All, I understand that it is important and beneficial to have protein before bed. More specifically I often hear it mentioned that Casein protein is best due to its slow digesting qualities. Now being on a budget I dont exactly have much money to shell out for jugs of Casein along with the Whey that I buy. I was wondering if mixing a scoop of whey (25g protein) with a cup of milk can serve as a good substitute for casein, due to the slow digesting nature of milk. If so which type of milk do you all think will be most suitible for this type of shake, i.e Whole Milk, reduced fat, 2%, or fat free?

This thread may help you out,

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/77484-casein-pre-bed.html

teribleturtle

Awards
Just eat a whole food meal before bed, i believe the whole casein idea is overplayed. Any quality protein source should be fine. In general though Casein can be found in dairy products like milk and cottage cheese.
A full meal would be a bit tough on me I wouldnt be able to sleep on a full stomach. But do you think that the 1 cup low fat milk with one scoop of whey isolate is a good substitute for casein?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A full meal would be a bit tough on me I wouldnt be able to sleep on a full stomach. But do you think that the 1 cup low fat milk with one scoop of whey isolate is a good substitute for casein?
i usually eat 1.5 to 2 hours before sleeping so i don't go to sleep on a full stomach usually