For all you tea fans out there

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I've done some reading about tea and it's benefits. I got some chai, green tea, and white tea. I'd like to know your opinions on these beverages.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Check out Roobios (sp?) tea.

johnfaceman

johnfaceman

Awards
  • Established
Check out Roobios (sp?) tea.
Speaking of roobios, I drink Yerba Mate all day, and want to start drinking Roobios but can't justify the difference in price. What kind of price have you found D, since I know you are the king of sourcing :twisted:

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Speaking of roobios, I drink Yerba Mate all day, and want to start drinking Roobios but can't justify the difference in price. What kind of price have you found D, since I know you are the king of sourcing :twisted:
It's about twice the price of Green Tea.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Green Tea. EGCG is extremely versatile!

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm an iced-tea-coholic. :D

I think raspberry iced tea is really good. 4C makes a blueberry iced white tea (comes in the little tubs like crystal light). It's a little sweet for my liking, so I mix with a little unsweetened green tea, and it's primo.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I'm an iced-tea-coholic. :D

I think raspberry iced tea is really good. 4C makes a blueberry iced white tea (comes in the little tubs like crystal light). It's a little sweet for my liking, so I mix with a little unsweetened green tea, and it's primo.
The main reason why I started to drink tea is because I am trying to lower the sweeteners I use. I am doing good, the only sweeteners are in my protein and supplements. But thanks a lot for your input!

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
Im a big fan of teas. I always have black, green, and red tea on hand, and a good spicy chai usually. They each have a health benefit so I just rotate them through the day. I also use a Ginger/Peppermit Tea to ease my stomach from time to time, and its quite effective.

In the summer, I like to brew pitchers of real iced tea from good tea bags (try green or red tea) and then to sweeten it, I add some Xtend to the pitcher to make a flavored iced tea. Green Iced Tea sweetened with Lemon Xtend is very good, and I recently made a Red Iced Tea with Orange xtend, again, very good. I call it anabolic Iced tea..and Im still waiting for Dsade to rip that off and make millions.... :D

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
WHOA! Now this deserves points!!!!!!!!! Very good idea. Wow. Thanks! I'm on my way to the kitchen!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
You can get Rooibos in bulk for pretty darn cheap actually. If you buy it pre-bagged you're generally getting ripped off.

For example, the "Oregon hippy site" I buy from, 1 lb of bulk red rooibos is $9.00..and that's certified organic fair trade. I bought 8 oz of this stuff last fall for something like $6 and it has lasted me this long using it almost every single night. I still have at least 2 months-worth left.

I don't even bag or screen the red tea..I just pour hot water on it and drink it leaves and all. It's not bad at all.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Question:

How many of you make your tea using the coffee maker and a filter, in order to be able to drink it all day?

I have a product design, called MoTiviTea, that is an organic tea blend in LARGE teabags...perfectly sized for coffee makers.

Any interest there?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Question:

How many of you make your tea using the coffee maker and a filter, in order to be able to drink it all day?

I have a product design, called MoTiviTea, that is an organic tea blend in LARGE teabags...perfectly sized for coffee makers.

Any interest there?
Depends on the blend you use.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Depends on the blend you use.
What would you recommend? I am not a huge tea drinker.

What would yield the tastiest blend (I can still get a decent cut product with decent EGCG content.)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

What would yield the tastiest blend (I can still get a decent cut product with decent EGCG content.)
I am a big fan of green tea with mint and lemon. I drink a cup or two everyday. White tea is also another option since it is a little bit more mild.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established

What about a chai white tea?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am a big fan of green tea with mint and lemon. I drink a cup or two everyday. White tea is also another option since it is a little bit more mild.
Cut green tea (organic) I can get VERY cheap. The limiting factor has been the boxes that these go in, but I found a nice alternative (and ended up buying about 5000 of them) that are around the perfect size.

I think I'll go ahead and play around, and maybe do a limited release here.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cut green tea (organic) I can get VERY cheap. The limiting factor has been the boxes that these go in, but I found a nice alternative (and ended up buying about 5000 of them) that are around the perfect size.

I think I'll go ahead and play around, and maybe do a limited release here.
Fantastic.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What about a chai white tea?
I'm pretty open, honestly...We needed a manufacture that could handle filterpacks, but apparently this concept was freaking IMPOSSIBLE to explain to the Chinese manufacturers.

It's been idle for a year, but I found a way to make them locally...so figured this thread brought it back to the front burner.

DCbuilder

Awards
  • Established
I buy mine direct from China. I'm suprised no one has mentioned Oolong, as it is my favorite. It's typically the type of tea served in Chinese food restaurants. It is quite tasty, and there is a wide range of tastes between the different varities and regions.

I don't like tea in teabags - I prefer to use loose leaf tea and brew it in a teapot designed for accepting loose leaf. While at work, they have a small container that will hold your loose leaf tea and you set it on top of a regular paper cup from your office, and just add some hot water from the water cooler and you've got it at work, too.

I also like green tea, and then I go to a store called teavana occasionally to pick up some matevana/roobios blend which is incredible, as well as a few others they have.

But by far I like oolong. Only trouble, I like to drink it daily (but can't do it daily unfortunately) and so I have to keep some Crest Whitestrips on hand as it seems to stain my teeth a bit after months of use. But the whitestrips clear it back up...

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I buy mine direct from China. I'm suprised no one has mentioned Oolong, as it is my favorite. It's typically the type of tea served in Chinese food restaurants. It is quite tasty, and there is a wide range of tastes between the different varities and regions.

I don't like tea in teabags - I prefer to use loose leaf tea and brew it in a teapot designed for accepting loose leaf. While at work, they have a small container that will hold your loose leaf tea and you set it on top of a regular paper cup from your office, and just add some hot water from the water cooler and you've got it at work, too.

I also like green tea, and then I go to a store called teavana occasionally to pick up some matevana/roobios blend which is incredible, as well as a few others they have.

But by far I like oolong. Only trouble, I like to drink it daily (though I don't each day) and so I have to keep some Crest Whitestrips on hand as it seems to stain my teeth a bit after months of use. But the whitestrips clear it back up...
How about whitening gum?

DCbuilder

Awards
  • Established
Does it work better than whitestrips? I haven't tried the gum. Who makes it?

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty open, honestly...We needed a manufacture that could handle filterpacks, but apparently this concept was freaking IMPOSSIBLE to explain to the Chinese manufacturers.

It's been idle for a year, but I found a way to make them locally...so figured this thread brought it back to the front burner.
That would definetly be amazing blend I've never heard of.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Dsade is going to start tea-bagging the members of AM?.... nice!

I just got an Original Indian Spice Chai from the grocery store
i cant even describe how good it smells..flavor is great unsweetened as well

its got: black tea, cinnamon, ginger, roasted chickory, cloves, cardamom, natural flavor, nutmeg, black pepper, chinese star anise, and vanilla bean

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established

its got: black tea, cinnamon, ginger, roasted chickory, cloves, cardamom, natural flavor, nutmeg, black pepper, chinese star anise, and vanilla bean
I tried that also. Smells like little valentine's hearts!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Sounds good...but would you be able to drink it daily without getting sick of it?

/Hmm...wonder how a blend of high polyphenol cacao beans ground up with coffee beans would taste?

DCbuilder

Awards
  • Established
I see it's main ingredient is xylitol. They say the gum helps to whiten your teeth, but they say xylitol is a "natural cavity inhibitor"

Looking at xylitol ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol ) the only thing I can see is it may help to reduce plaque, but I don't really see much about actual whitening. I guess having less plaque will make your teeth whiter, but there isn't anything in there to actually "whiten" teeth.

I would guess at the effectiveness (best to worst):

Whitestrips
Whitening Toothpaste
Gum

From whitestrips, they say:

"Brushing with ordinary whitening toothpaste only cleans away surface stains.

All Crest Whitestrips® hold the whitening ingredient against your teeth long enough to get at stains beneath the surface."

The ingredients in them are:

"The Crest Whitestrips whitening gel contains purified water, glycerin, hydrogen peroxide (6.0%), carbopol 956, sodium hydroxide, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium stannate and sodium saccharin. The textured strip is made of polyethylene and the backing is made of polyester."

While probably not as "safe" as the gum, I'd guess that the ingredients and the method with which the gel is pressed on your teeth make it the most effective product.

Sorry to sidetrack this thread... If anyone knows of something better than whitestrips, let me know. I don't really drink coffee, but after months of tea drinking, I can tell a difference, and like to spend a few weeks whitening every few months...

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good...but would you be able to drink it daily without getting sick of it?

/Hmm...wonder how a blend of high polyphenol cacao beans ground up with coffee beans would taste?
Sounds really interesting. Make sure not to sweeten it though and I'm all over it!

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established

yea... i drink only water all day... so 1 glass a day is my 'treat' per se

honestly.. i dont ever get sick of much, so i could drink the same tea on end.. of course id prefer the dsade special blend over the grocery store blend.

my only concern is caffeine content...which i know tea is low on, but im prob the only one on the forums who consumes under 50mg a day of caffeine

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
DC...true, but look at WHEN you would be chewing. There is a friction factor at play, and I was pretty sure they had a quick-forming hydrogen peroxide source in the gum.

The tea will be fresh in your mouth, and stains will more be preventing then having to worry about getting rid of older stains.

Chewing the gum immediately after drinking the tea should help quite a bit.

DCbuilder

Awards
  • Established
DC...true, but look at WHEN you would be chewing. There is a friction factor at play, and I was pretty sure they had a quick-forming hydrogen peroxide source in the gum.

The tea will be fresh in your mouth, and stains will more be preventing then having to worry about getting rid of older stains.

Chewing the gum immediately after drinking the tea should help quite a bit.
These are the ingredients per that site:

Xylitol, Gum Base, Natural Flavors, Glycerin, Gum Arabic, Soy Lecithin, Bees Wax, Calprox

You are right though, chewing that gum or trident or any gum (if you can't brush) after drinking a couple cups of tea would help. I'll have to make sure to do that... Good idea.

Getting back to the tea, I ordered my last batch from here:

jingteashop.com

Here's what I got:

-- 1 X Mao Xie - Oolong Tea @ $7.50 = $7.50
-- 1 X Wu Yi Da Hong Pao Oolong Tea - 100gr @ $11.70 = $11.70
-- 1 X An Xi Tour Teasting Set @ $52.10 = $52.10

I highly recommend the Wu Yi Da Hong Pao - tremendous.

Ordered this at the beginning of December, and have used 1/3 of the total order, even though I brew a pot once every 2 days. You can re-steep the tea at least twice, so you get 2-3 pots out of only a couple tablespoons. $82 total, and going at this rate it should last 10 months... not a bad deal and very good.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
These are the ingredients per that site:

Xylitol, Gum Base, Natural Flavors, Glycerin, Gum Arabic, Soy Lecithin, Bees Wax, Calprox

You are right though, chewing that gum or trident or any gum (if you can't brush) after drinking a couple cups of tea would help. I'll have to make sure to do that... Good idea.

Getting back to the tea, I ordered my last batch from here:

jingteashop.com

Here's what I got:

-- 1 X Mao Xie - Oolong Tea @ $7.50 = $7.50
-- 1 X Wu Yi Da Hong Pao Oolong Tea - 100gr @ $11.70 = $11.70
-- 1 X An Xi Tour Teasting Set @ $52.10 = $52.10

I highly recommend the Wu Yi Da Hong Pao - tremendous.

Ordered this at the beginning of December, and have used 1/3 of the total order, even though I brew a pot once every 2 days. You can re-steep the tea at least twice, so you get 2-3 pots out of only a couple tablespoons. $82 total, and going at this rate it should last 10 months... not a bad deal and very good.
This is good info...I had forgotten you could "rebrew" tea, unlike coffee.

For everyone that is providing helpful feedback, I'll make sure you get some samples for testing and providing even more feedback.

It really is much appreciated...there are so many hours in a day to design stuff.

DCbuilder

Awards
  • Established
This is good info...I had forgotten you could "rebrew" tea, unlike coffee.

For everyone that is providing helpful feedback, I'll make sure you get some samples for testing and providing even more feedback.

It really is much appreciated...there are so many hours in a day to design stuff.
Resteeping it is a great quality. Typically on these I ordered, the first pot is darker and more powerfull. The 2nd is just as good but slighly diluted in flavor. I don't take it past 2 times, because for my tea pot, I get 4 cups out of each pot. W/ only 2 people drinking it, and me drinking more, there is no way to drink 2 pots (8 cups). So we usually finish the first pot (4 cups), then I boil more water, steep the 2nd pot, save it in the refrigerator, and reheat it the following day.

That is how such little quantity of tea lasts a couple of days, for me at least. I am not an expert by any means, there are some teas on that site which are aged and $78/100 grams. I stick to the more "everyday stuff" and it tastes great to my relatively inexperienced palatte.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Resteeping it is a great quality. Typically on these I ordered, the first pot is darker and more powerfull. The 2nd is just as good but slighly diluted in flavor. I don't take it past 2 times, because for my tea pot, I get 4 cups out of each pot. W/ only 2 people drinking it, and me drinking more, there is no way to drink 2 pots (8 cups). So we usually finish the first pot (4 cups), then I boil more water, steep the 2nd pot, save it in the refrigerator, and reheat it the following day.

That is how such little quantity of tea lasts a couple of days, for me at least. I am not an expert by any means, there are some teas on that site which are aged and $78/100 grams. I stick to the more "everyday stuff" and it tastes great to my relatively inexperienced palatte.
So you would prefer something like a 10 or 12 pack of ready to brew filterpacks?

DCbuilder

Awards
  • Established
So you would prefer something like a 10 or 12 pack of ready to brew filterpacks?
So you are saying this would go in the coffee maker and you could add as much water as you want and just brew a coffee pot of tea, and perhaps brew 2 pots if you wanted (the 2nd would be obviously not quite as strong)?

I prefer drinking tea to coffee - like the taste and like the fact it is healthier and has less caffeine. It is a neat idea.

Did some thinking on this idea, sorry if it rambles, came back to it a few times...

One "con" to it could be that if someone only wants to brew 4 cups or 6 cups, they would be "stuck" because if the filter is sized to serve 10 cups, they will be wasting the other 4+ cups. Whereas w/ coffee, they can scoop out just enough beans to make the quantity they want to brew. If I was in that predicament and wanted to use your filterpack to drink only 4 cups, I would brew 10 cups, and put the other 6 in the refrigerator for another time.

The other question I have is how hot does a typical coffee maker heat the water? I know w/ some tea, the temperature is important and you can scald the tea leaves if it is too hot or not process it properly if not hot enough.

However, I've been at law firms who have those single-serve machines and they have both coffee and tea. I've had the green tea a lot there and it has always tasted great, so my guess is unless you have a distinguished palatte for tea, you won't notice the difference. Also, you aren't selling $74/100 gram tea, I'm sure its relatively a standard and cheaper tea (not a bad thing), so the temperature wont affect it as much.

The only thing I am not aware of is the fact that when you use the coffee maker, it does not "steep" like dunking a teabag in water or making a pot of loose leaf. I usually steep mine in the teapot for 10 minutes and sometimes more. W/ the coffeemaker, water washes over the tea constantly for a couple of minutes, but does not really "steep". However, as I said before, those single-serve machines take only about 45 seconds to fill 1 cup, and while it does not look incredibly dark, it tastes fine. So that is a question I have, leading to:

Do you have to add more tea to the filterpack than you would if you were steeping it, in order to get the proper coloring/taste/nutrients? Not sure there. Also not sure is the question: If you aren't steeping the tea, but allowing water to drip over it, are the positive nutrients all collecting from the tea, or are you losing some? In other words, are you getting only 85% of the benefits by using a drip coffeemaker vs. steeping in a pot or cup of hot water for 5+ minutes?

Other than those things to think about, I think it sounds good. Personally, I would say add enough to brew a full 10 cup pot, and if people only use 4 cups then so be it. You may already have thought of all of those since you thought of it a while back...