Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
So you would prefer something like a 10 or 12 pack of ready to brew filterpacks?
So you are saying this would go in the coffee maker and you could add as much water as you want and just brew a coffee pot of tea, and perhaps brew 2 pots if you wanted (the 2nd would be obviously not quite as strong)?

I prefer drinking tea to coffee - like the taste and like the fact it is healthier and has less caffeine. It is a neat idea.

Did some thinking on this idea, sorry if it rambles, came back to it a few times...

One "con" to it could be that if someone only wants to brew 4 cups or 6 cups, they would be "stuck" because if the filter is sized to serve 10 cups, they will be wasting the other 4+ cups. Whereas w/ coffee, they can scoop out just enough beans to make the quantity they want to brew. If I was in that predicament and wanted to use your filterpack to drink only 4 cups, I would brew 10 cups, and put the other 6 in the refrigerator for another time.

The other question I have is how hot does a typical coffee maker heat the water? I know w/ some tea, the temperature is important and you can scald the tea leaves if it is too hot or not process it properly if not hot enough.

However, I've been at law firms who have those single-serve machines and they have both coffee and tea. I've had the green tea a lot there and it has always tasted great, so my guess is unless you have a distinguished palatte for tea, you won't notice the difference. Also, you aren't selling $74/100 gram tea, I'm sure its relatively a standard and cheaper tea (not a bad thing), so the temperature wont affect it as much.

The only thing I am not aware of is the fact that when you use the coffee maker, it does not "steep" like dunking a teabag in water or making a pot of loose leaf. I usually steep mine in the teapot for 10 minutes and sometimes more. W/ the coffeemaker, water washes over the tea constantly for a couple of minutes, but does not really "steep". However, as I said before, those single-serve machines take only about 45 seconds to fill 1 cup, and while it does not look incredibly dark, it tastes fine. So that is a question I have, leading to:

Do you have to add more tea to the filterpack than you would if you were steeping it, in order to get the proper coloring/taste/nutrients? Not sure there. Also not sure is the question: If you aren't steeping the tea, but allowing water to drip over it, are the positive nutrients all collecting from the tea, or are you losing some? In other words, are you getting only 85% of the benefits by using a drip coffeemaker vs. steeping in a pot or cup of hot water for 5+ minutes?

Other than those things to think about, I think it sounds good. Personally, I would say add enough to brew a full 10 cup pot, and if people only use 4 cups then so be it. You may already have thought of all of those since you thought of it a while back...