Creatine Contradictions

h22t88

Awards
I have a few questions regarding ways of taking creatine.

I have always been told or read that:

1.Mixing creatine in anything hotter than 80 degrees will make it useless.

The liquid in your stomach is over 95 degrees so what happens when it gets there?

2.Never mix creatine with orange juice or other acidic products because it will also render the creatine useless.

What about the hydrochloric acid in your stomach used to digest your food. I believe that's a bit stronger than OJ?

Can anyone tell me if this makes sense? Is there another explanation for why it is still absorbed...or are those rules just false? Thanks!

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
It is ok to mix with OJ and drink. You shouldn't mix it with OJ and store it for later consumption. At least thats what I have gathered from reading around. My only guess for the temperature is that it starts the breakdown of the creatine too early which could cause poor absorption. Just a guess though.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Orange Juice is NOT enough of a simple carb that it will create a sufficient insulin spike. Even if you use simple carbs (i.e. Waxy Maize) the insulin spike is not long enough for the creatine to piggyback it into the muscle.

Take creatine (monohydrate) @ 5g with anything you want. Personally I prefer to take a scoop and shove it into my mouth then wash it down with water.

You don't need an insulin spike to make creatine work. The only thing simple carbs will do is make you fat.

h22t88

Awards
Orange Juice is NOT enough of a simple carb that it will create a sufficient insulin spike. Even if you use simple carbs (i.e. Waxy Maize) the insulin spike is not long enough for the creatine to piggyback it into the muscle.

Take creatine (monohydrate) @ 5g with anything you want. Personally I prefer to take a scoop and shove it into my mouth then wash it down with water.

You don't need an insulin spike to make creatine work. The only thing simple carbs will do is make you fat.
Yeah. I hear you on that. I take my creatine the same way. Dry powder/water chaser if I'm not bulking. If I'm bulking I just mix it with a bunch of dextrose powder. My question wasn't about the insulin levels. It was about the destruction or tranformation of the creatine from the acid. That's what some people claim. Just didn't make sense to me.

Thanks for the responses. Keep 'em coming.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I've recently read that some use warm liquid to assist the dissolving process. One of the Mods here does it.

I think once you add it to any liquid the shelf life is greatly reduced as the conversion to creatinine starts.

Some things which would make sense but I do not know for sure: the warmer the liquid the faster the conversion, PH will effect conversion

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
I've recently read that some use warm liquid to assist the dissolving process. One of the Mods here does it.

I think once you add it to any liquid the shelf life is greatly reduced as the conversion to creatinine starts.

Some things which would make sense but I do not know for sure: the warmer the liquid the faster the conversion, PH will effect conversion
yep higher the PH the slower the conversion...

Vinny

Awards
I have a few questions regarding ways of taking creatine.

I have always been told or read that:

1.Mixing creatine in anything hotter than 80 degrees will make it useless.

The liquid in your stomach is over 95 degrees so what happens when it gets there?

2.Never mix creatine with orange juice or other acidic products because it will also render the creatine useless.

What about the hydrochloric acid in your stomach used to digest your food. I believe that's a bit stronger than OJ?

Can anyone tell me if this makes sense? Is there another explanation for why it is still absorbed...or are those rules just false? Thanks!

like anything else everyone has different opinions because we find it works best for us a certain way.

I take my stack on empty stomach with water but when I used to take creatine mono I found for me taken with WHITE grape juice at room temp (60s/70s) it worked best.

for me OJ messed it up it made it weaker again this is my opinion from my experience others have other experiences.

Not to be anal but WHITE grape juice (purple is okay to) was the key

I no longer use mono but thats how I felt it worked best