When to take BCAAs?

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
I was going to do this, twice a day:

L-Leucine 1500mg
L-Isoleucine 750mg
L-Valine 750mg

Is it best to take it before and after work out? Or, first thing in the morning then after work out? Or, a different combo?

Thanks!

AM07

Awards
  • Established
I would just take it during the workout.

Which Ivy university do you attend, and are you an undergrad?

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
IMO sipping throughout the day slowly is the best for body recomposition.

Otherwise I would do 1 serving AM, 1 preWO, and 1 post (Alex Aragon turned me off from during training amino acids as they prevent the initial muscle breakdown that is necessary for starting the process of new muscle growth)

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established

Otherwise I would do 1 serving AM, 1 preWO, and 1 post (Alex Aragon turned me off from during training amino acids as they prevent the initial muscle breakdown that is necessary for starting the process of new muscle growth)
wow I never really thought of that. Was there any research behind that or was it more reasoning?

I use to drink BCAAs during my workout but stopped because I found it easier/more cost efficient to save them for afterwards/ throughout the day and also during cardio.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
turned me off from during training amino acids as they prevent the initial muscle breakdown that is necessary for starting the process of new muscle growth)
hmm interesting...

Link24

Awards
  • Established
It kinda makes sense to me......I would really like to see some studies on it though.

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
wow I never really thought of that. Was there any research behind that or was it more reasoning?

I use to drink BCAAs during my workout but stopped because I found it easier/more cost efficient to save them for afterwards/ throughout the day and also during cardio.
yea you'll have to search for Alan Aragons writings, he has a book called girth control that is very popular for mass gaining and fat loss, I believe it is in that book he mentions it and I believe its backed by at least one scientific study.

Regardless of if you find the study it is common sense that the aminos would make tissue breakdown harder, in turn, making muscle gain harder.

Zombie

Zombie

Awards
  • Established
i usually take

L-Leucine 12gr
L-Isoleucine 3.5gr
L-Valine 3.5gr

with 3gr beta alanine during the day (11am-4pm)

and then i do the same during my workout(8-9:30)

DGSky

DGSky

Awards

With all the mundane and weekly questions requestions regarding how/when to take BCAAs, this is the first fresh comment I've read in a very long time. Any further thoughts, opinions on this?

dafox

Awards
  • Established
bump for more thought on BCAA's during a workout.
So you're saying extend would cause me to gain muscle slower?
**drinking during WO

Last edited:
LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
With all the mundane and weekly questions requestions regarding how/when to take BCAAs, this is the first fresh comment I've read in a very long time. Any further thoughts, opinions on this?
thanks man, I try to offer better answers to people than run of the mill "follow the directions on the bottle" type answers.

DGSky

DGSky

Awards
Can you add some further explanation for Aragon's conclusion on this method?

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
I would just take it during the workout.

Which Ivy university do you attend, and are you an undergrad?

I am a graduate student. I went to Yale for my undergrad and currently attend Penn.

Did you go to an Ivy school?

As for the comment on how well BCAAs work, I'd love to see a study too. while we are at it, what does it take to become a supplement scientist to create these studies anyway?

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
I am a graduate student. I went to Yale for my undergrad and currently attend Penn.

Did you go to an Ivy school?

As for the comment on how well BCAAs work, I'd love to see a study too. while we are at it, what does it take to become a supplement scientist to create these studies anyway?
People inwhich have a doctorate in Organic Chemistry..

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
Also, thanks for the advice. I think I'll spread out my dosages.