supp for acid reflux

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. supp for acid reflux


    Are there any supplements that work well to control acid reflux?


  2. I use tums or maalox, basically calcium and started taking protonix.

    I hope to see a better answer too, I suffer with reflux as well.
    •   
       


  3. look at something called gut health by rpn, haven't tried it yet but looks promising. btw best over the counter ive tried is pepcid complete.
    GOD, FAMILY, COUNTRY!!!

  4. Quote Originally Posted by dlew308;
    I use tums or maalox, basically calcium and started taking protonix.

    I hope to see a better answer too, I suffer with reflux as well.
    Antacids such as Tums®, Maalox®, and others work by neutralizing stomach acid with aluminum or magnesium hydroxides, calcium carbonate, or sodium bicarbonate. While this might provide relief, antacids may also be accompanied by so-called “rebound” effects. These rebound effects worsen symptoms. Besides, these antacids may, in fact, contain aluminum, and as such can negatively impact neural cells.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by thebigt;
    look at something called gut health by rpn, haven't tried it yet but looks promising. btw best over the counter ive tried is pepcid complete.
    I read somewhere that drugs such as Zantac®, and Pepcid®, called H2 blockers, stimulate the secretion of stomach acids (which is a good thing in this case) by inhibiting histamine. The downside, though, is that they may also inhibit the absorption of vitamin B2 and calcium from food.

    D-limonene, an orange peel extract, is said to be a potent answer to acid reflux. Dosage is a 1000mg capsule every other day for about 20 days. Said to provide long-term relief.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
    •   
       


  6. There are two different methods in treating gastric reflux disease. The first method is antacids which were very well explained by strat. They work well for some, but only treat the reflux symptoms by neutalizing stomach acids that are already present(Maalox,Tums,Kaopectate ,pepto-bismol,pepcid,zantac,tagamet.)

    The second method of treatment is proton pump inhibitors. These work by inhibiting the mechanism of gastric acid secretion and are much more effective overall(Aciphex,Nexium,Prevaci d,Prilosec,Protonix)

    If you're having a lot of reflux issues try giving prilosec otc a try. It mau take a few days to totally kick in, but it's very effective in reflux control.
    Last edited by Trauma1; 03-09-2008 at 12:13 AM.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  7. Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    I read somewhere that drugs such as Zantac®, and Pepcid®, called H2 blockers, stimulate the secretion of stomach acids (which is a good thing in this case) by inhibiting histamine. The downside, though, is that they may also inhibit the absorption of vitamin B2 and calcium from food.

    D-limonene, an orange peel extract, is said to be a potent answer to acid reflux. Dosage is a 1000mg capsule every other day for about 20 days. Said to provide long-term relief.
    I think you meant reduce stomach acids via that mechanism lol, but good read strat.This is exactly why Histamine-2 blockers are utilized in treatment of allergic reaction.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  8. Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1;
    ...
    The second method of treatment is proton pump inhibitors. These work by inhibiting the mechanism of gastric acid secretion and are much more effective overall(Prevacid,Prilosec,Prot onix)

    If you're having a lot of reflux issues try giving prilosec otc a try. It takes about a week to totally kick in, but it's very effective in reflux control.
    T1, is it not the case that proton pump inhibitors should be taken for very short periods of time because they practically block almost all normal stomach acid production? They do provide short-term relief, but the stomach acid production they block is actually required by the body for food digestion. Besides, proton pump inhibitors suppress the production of stomach acids, but do not protect the esophagus from the reflux of digestive enzymes and other aggressive liquids. Right?
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.

  9. I just got put on Nexium which is a proton pump inhibitor, antacids weren't cutting it for me... hopefully it will clear up the problem cuz i'v had some nasty issues

    To the point where i thought i was having a heart attack b/c the pressure/burning was so bad under my sternum

    The doc says if i get relief within a few days he's prescribe it for 6 weeks to let the esophagus heal

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    I just got put on Nexium which is a proton pump inhibitor, antacids weren't cutting it for me... hopefully it will clear up the problem cuz i'v had some nasty issues

    To the point where i thought i was having a heart attack b/c the pressure/burning was so bad under my sternum

    The doc says if i get relief within a few days he's prescribe it for 6 weeks to let the esophagus heal
    hope nexium works for you. my doctor gave me a 5 pill sample bottle to try and didn't really get much relief from it. hyateal [sp] hernia, and pepcid complete with the antacid seem to work better for me.
    GOD, FAMILY, COUNTRY!!!

  11. Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    T1, is it not the case that proton pump inhibitors should be taken for very short periods of time because they practically block almost all normal stomach acid production? They do provide short-term relief, but the stomach acid production they block is actually required by the body for food digestion. Besides, proton pump inhibitors suppress the production of stomach acids, but do not protect the esophagus from the reflux of digestive enzymes and other aggressive liquids. Right?
    Treatment largely depends on the individual. Proton pump inhibitors won't significantly effect digestion in any way. They reduce the total amount of acid produced, not eliminate it. Many that take them are used for longterm treatment of the condition and very successfull. If a person has a significant reflux issue these type of medications should drastically decrease the overall symptoms involved. Now other conditions may exist that adds a twist to the issue such as gastric ulcerations, gastritis, hiatal hernia, and believe it or not diet.

    Edit: When proton pump inhibitors were first released, there was concern that they might contribute to stomach cancer. That's why initially people were only given them for short term treatment. However, after extensive studies they found it simply wasn't the case. That's when you saw prilosec otc suddenly pop up for all to buy. They are deemed safe to take for longterm gastro-esophageal reflux control.
    Last edited by Trauma1; 03-09-2008 at 12:17 AM.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  12. Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    hope nexium works for you. my doctor gave me a 5 pill sample bottle to try and didn't really get much relief from it. hyateal [sp] hernia, and pepcid complete with the antacid seem to work better for me.
    Most early generation proton pump inhibitors(early prilosec,prevacid) take at least a week or two to really kick in. The new second generation such as protonix and nexium work rather quickly in this regard.
    Last edited by Trauma1; 03-09-2008 at 12:12 AM.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  13. Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    Treatment largely depends on the individual. Proton pump inhibitors won't significantly effect digestion in any way. They reduce the total amount of acid produced, not eliminate it. Many that take them are used for longterm treatment of the condition and very successfull. If a person has a significant reflux issue these type of medications should drastically decrease the overall symptoms involved. Now other conditions may exist that adds a twist to the issue such as gastric ulcerations, gastritis, hiatal hernia, and believe it or not diet.
    I need to second Trauma1 on this one. I've been on prilosec for years. Actually, I only take one everyother evening. My physician also agrees they have a low or no risk of sides. But if you really need one and don't there is a real risk of damage.
    I didn't have much in the way of symtoms, just a few burps now and then. It was the dentist that sent me to my PCP. Unfortunately I lost a lot of enamel on my molars before it was under control.

    My silly mother-in-law sent herself to the ER because she was eating Tums (or something similar) like candy and it screwed with her electrolights.

    Go get some Prilosec.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    Treatment largely depends on the individual. Proton pump inhibitors won't significantly effect digestion in any way. They reduce the total amount of acid produced, not eliminate it. Many that take them are used for longterm treatment of the condition and very successfull. If a person has a significant reflux issue these type of medications should drastically decrease the overall symptoms involved. Now other conditions may exist that adds a twist to the issue such as gastric ulcerations, gastritis, hiatal hernia, and believe it or not diet.
    so what do you do if you have a hiatal hernia. just found out i have it after a endoscopy last week. have an appointment with doctor on tues, what do you think he will recommend?
    GOD, FAMILY, COUNTRY!!!

  15. Prilosec otc is the best otc.It kicked in the first day i used it,and i ate heartburn causing food all day.I have to use it every day though as opposed to their 14 on however long off.Next will be nexium,the purple pill.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by pantera101 View Post
    Prilosec otc is the best otc.It kicked in the first day i used it,and i ate heartburn causing food all day.I have to use it every day though as opposed to their 14 on however long off.Next will be nexium,the purple pill.
    My PCP said that the only difference between nexium and prilosec is that nexium is one step closer in the conversion process than prilosec (and it costs less if your insurance covers it, mine didn't, I guess cause they're smart enough to spot a scam.).

    DB

  17. I dont even have insurance,my Dad is the boss of family owned and ran fencing company(Him and i only right now)Prilosec worked great at first and usually still does,but every now and then it'll start creeping back up.I have been using priilosec since 18,so 4 years.I have some problems too,i have had regular heartburn since 13.Had to take rolaids to school and i would eat them all day.A friend bought me tums for Christmas once

  18. Quote Originally Posted by pantera101 View Post
    I dont even have insurance,my Dad is the boss of family owned and ran fencing company(Him and i only right now)Prilosec worked great at first and usually still does,but every now and then it'll start creeping back up.I have been using priilosec since 18,so 4 years.I have some problems too,i have had regular heartburn since 13.Had to take rolaids to school and i would eat them all day.A friend bought me tums for Christmas once
    Assuming it's not your diet, then you really need to see a doctor even w/o bene's. My guess is nexium isn't gonna do you much better. What are you going to do when you're 40? Acid reflux is not a benign condition. I learned that one the hard way, too. Good luck.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by DBinMD View Post
    Assuming it's not your diet, then you really need to see a doctor even w/o bene's. My guess is nexium isn't gonna do you much better. What are you going to do when you're 40? Acid reflux is not a benign condition. I learned that one the hard way, too. Good luck.
    Yeah,i will have to eventually change my diet.I eat gegularly But i live on spicy foods.Fixing to eat some chicken with jalapenos.The prilosec usually does the job.Here lately i've been getting it here and their though.It has happened before,but eventually stops.One day i will have to change the way i eat though.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by DBinMD View Post
    Assuming it's not your diet, then you really need to see a doctor even w/o bene's. My guess is nexium isn't gonna do you much better. What are you going to do when you're 40? Acid reflux is not a benign condition. I learned that one the hard way, too. Good luck.
    Nexium may in fact work better overall. It's a second generation proton pump inhibitor as is protonix. I agree he needs to get in and see a doctor to get it under control.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  21. Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    so what do you do if you have a hiatal hernia. just found out i have it after a endoscopy last week. have an appointment with doctor on tues, what do you think he will recommend?
    It all depends on how big the hiatal hernia is. If it's not significant in size, they'll just probably treat it with antacids and proton pump inhibitors. However, if it's large enough, sometimes surgery may be required.
    Last edited by Trauma1; 03-09-2008 at 12:19 AM.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  22. Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    It all depends on how big the hiatal hernia is. If it's not significant in size, they'll just probably treat it with antacids and proton pump inhibitors. However, if it's large enough, sometimes surgery may be required.
    i was told by doctor doing endoscopy that it is small, fortunately. i guess that is why pepcid complete works well for me, with the added antacid.
    GOD, FAMILY, COUNTRY!!!

  23. Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    i was told by doctor doing endoscopy that it is small, fortunately. i guess that is why pepcid complete works well for me, with the added antacid.
    That's definitely good news. I would expect treatment to probably continue as is for your issue.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  24. Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1;
    That's definitely good news. I would expect treatment to probably continue as is for your issue.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Trauma1 again."

    Impressive overall knowledge, T1
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Trauma1 again."

    Impressive overall knowledge, T1
    Thank you sir!

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Enteric coating for orals, acid reflux issues.
    By reps4jesus in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-03-2017, 12:35 PM
  2. What's the best supp.for elbow + joint pain
    By MaDmaN in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-21-2014, 09:38 AM
  3. Best supps for PH cycle (bulking)
    By Doko in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-01-2014, 02:11 PM
  4. acid reflux and supps that dont effect it
    By bdpeck in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2008, 11:54 PM
  5. Supps for Damn Rotator Cuff!
    By yourdaddy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 06:47 PM
Log in
Log in