supp for acid reflux

nolinenowait

Banned
Awards
Are there any supplements that work well to control acid reflux?

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
I use tums or maalox, basically calcium and started taking protonix.

I hope to see a better answer too, I suffer with reflux as well.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
look at something called gut health by rpn, haven't tried it yet but looks promising. btw best over the counter ive tried is pepcid complete.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use tums or maalox, basically calcium and started taking protonix.

I hope to see a better answer too, I suffer with reflux as well.
Antacids such as Tums®, Maalox®, and others work by neutralizing stomach acid with aluminum or magnesium hydroxides, calcium carbonate, or sodium bicarbonate. While this might provide relief, antacids may also be accompanied by so-called “rebound” effects. These rebound effects worsen symptoms. Besides, these antacids may, in fact, contain aluminum, and as such can negatively impact neural cells.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
look at something called gut health by rpn, haven't tried it yet but looks promising. btw best over the counter ive tried is pepcid complete.
I read somewhere that drugs such as Zantac®, and Pepcid®, called H2 blockers, stimulate the secretion of stomach acids (which is a good thing in this case) by inhibiting histamine. The downside, though, is that they may also inhibit the absorption of vitamin B2 and calcium from food.

D-limonene, an orange peel extract, is said to be a potent answer to acid reflux. Dosage is a 1000mg capsule every other day for about 20 days. Said to provide long-term relief.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are two different methods in treating gastric reflux disease. The first method is antacids which were very well explained by strat. :thumbsup: They work well for some, but only treat the reflux symptoms by neutalizing stomach acids that are already present(Maalox,Tums,Kaopectate,pepto-bismol,pepcid,zantac,tagamet.)

The second method of treatment is proton pump inhibitors. These work by inhibiting the mechanism of gastric acid secretion and are much more effective overall(Aciphex,Nexium,Prevacid,Prilosec,Protonix)

If you're having a lot of reflux issues try giving prilosec otc a try. It mau take a few days to totally kick in, but it's very effective in reflux control.

Last edited:
Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I read somewhere that drugs such as Zantac®, and Pepcid®, called H2 blockers, stimulate the secretion of stomach acids (which is a good thing in this case) by inhibiting histamine. The downside, though, is that they may also inhibit the absorption of vitamin B2 and calcium from food.

D-limonene, an orange peel extract, is said to be a potent answer to acid reflux. Dosage is a 1000mg capsule every other day for about 20 days. Said to provide long-term relief.
I think you meant reduce stomach acids via that mechanism lol, but good read strat.This is exactly why Histamine-2 blockers are utilized in treatment of allergic reaction.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The second method of treatment is proton pump inhibitors. These work by inhibiting the mechanism of gastric acid secretion and are much more effective overall(Prevacid,Prilosec,Protonix)

If you're having a lot of reflux issues try giving prilosec otc a try. It takes about a week to totally kick in, but it's very effective in reflux control.
T1, is it not the case that proton pump inhibitors should be taken for very short periods of time because they practically block almost all normal stomach acid production? They do provide short-term relief, but the stomach acid production they block is actually required by the body for food digestion. Besides, proton pump inhibitors suppress the production of stomach acids, but do not protect the esophagus from the reflux of digestive enzymes and other aggressive liquids. Right?

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
I just got put on Nexium which is a proton pump inhibitor, antacids weren't cutting it for me... hopefully it will clear up the problem cuz i'v had some nasty issues

To the point where i thought i was having a heart attack b/c the pressure/burning was so bad under my sternum

The doc says if i get relief within a few days he's prescribe it for 6 weeks to let the esophagus heal

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I just got put on Nexium which is a proton pump inhibitor, antacids weren't cutting it for me... hopefully it will clear up the problem cuz i'v had some nasty issues

To the point where i thought i was having a heart attack b/c the pressure/burning was so bad under my sternum

The doc says if i get relief within a few days he's prescribe it for 6 weeks to let the esophagus heal
hope nexium works for you. my doctor gave me a 5 pill sample bottle to try and didn't really get much relief from it. hyateal [sp] hernia, and pepcid complete with the antacid seem to work better for me.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
T1, is it not the case that proton pump inhibitors should be taken for very short periods of time because they practically block almost all normal stomach acid production? They do provide short-term relief, but the stomach acid production they block is actually required by the body for food digestion. Besides, proton pump inhibitors suppress the production of stomach acids, but do not protect the esophagus from the reflux of digestive enzymes and other aggressive liquids. Right?
Treatment largely depends on the individual. Proton pump inhibitors won't significantly effect digestion in any way. They reduce the total amount of acid produced, not eliminate it. Many that take them are used for longterm treatment of the condition and very successfull. If a person has a significant reflux issue these type of medications should drastically decrease the overall symptoms involved. Now other conditions may exist that adds a twist to the issue such as gastric ulcerations, gastritis, hiatal hernia, and believe it or not diet.

Edit: When proton pump inhibitors were first released, there was concern that they might contribute to stomach cancer. That's why initially people were only given them for short term treatment. However, after extensive studies they found it simply wasn't the case. That's when you saw prilosec otc suddenly pop up for all to buy. They are deemed safe to take for longterm gastro-esophageal reflux control.

Last edited:
Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hope nexium works for you. my doctor gave me a 5 pill sample bottle to try and didn't really get much relief from it. hyateal [sp] hernia, and pepcid complete with the antacid seem to work better for me.
Most early generation proton pump inhibitors(early prilosec,prevacid) take at least a week or two to really kick in. The new second generation such as protonix and nexium work rather quickly in this regard.

Last edited:
DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Treatment largely depends on the individual. Proton pump inhibitors won't significantly effect digestion in any way. They reduce the total amount of acid produced, not eliminate it. Many that take them are used for longterm treatment of the condition and very successfull. If a person has a significant reflux issue these type of medications should drastically decrease the overall symptoms involved. Now other conditions may exist that adds a twist to the issue such as gastric ulcerations, gastritis, hiatal hernia, and believe it or not diet.
I need to second Trauma1 on this one. I've been on prilosec for years. Actually, I only take one everyother evening. My physician also agrees they have a low or no risk of sides. But if you really need one and don't there is a real risk of damage.
I didn't have much in the way of symtoms, just a few burps now and then. It was the dentist that sent me to my PCP. Unfortunately I lost a lot of enamel on my molars before it was under control.

My silly mother-in-law sent herself to the ER because she was eating Tums (or something similar) like candy and it screwed with her electrolights.

Go get some Prilosec.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
so what do you do if you have a hiatal hernia. just found out i have it after a endoscopy last week. have an appointment with doctor on tues, what do you think he will recommend?

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Prilosec otc is the best otc.It kicked in the first day i used it,and i ate heartburn causing food all day.I have to use it every day though as opposed to their 14 on however long off.Next will be nexium,the purple pill.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Prilosec otc is the best otc.It kicked in the first day i used it,and i ate heartburn causing food all day.I have to use it every day though as opposed to their 14 on however long off.Next will be nexium,the purple pill.
My PCP said that the only difference between nexium and prilosec is that nexium is one step closer in the conversion process than prilosec (and it costs less if your insurance covers it, mine didn't, I guess cause they're smart enough to spot a scam.).

DB

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I dont even have insurance,my Dad is the boss of family owned and ran fencing company(Him and i only right now)Prilosec worked great at first and usually still does,but every now and then it'll start creeping back up.I have been using priilosec since 18,so 4 years.I have some problems too,i have had regular heartburn since 13.Had to take rolaids to school and i would eat them all day.A friend bought me tums for Christmas once:)

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
I dont even have insurance,my Dad is the boss of family owned and ran fencing company(Him and i only right now)Prilosec worked great at first and usually still does,but every now and then it'll start creeping back up.I have been using priilosec since 18,so 4 years.I have some problems too,i have had regular heartburn since 13.Had to take rolaids to school and i would eat them all day.A friend bought me tums for Christmas once:)
Assuming it's not your diet, then you really need to see a doctor even w/o bene's. My guess is nexium isn't gonna do you much better. What are you going to do when you're 40? Acid reflux is not a benign condition. I learned that one the hard way, too. Good luck.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Assuming it's not your diet, then you really need to see a doctor even w/o bene's. My guess is nexium isn't gonna do you much better. What are you going to do when you're 40? Acid reflux is not a benign condition. I learned that one the hard way, too. Good luck.
Yeah,i will have to eventually change my diet.I eat gegularly :)But i live on spicy foods.Fixing to eat some chicken with jalapenos.The prilosec usually does the job.Here lately i've been getting it here and their though.It has happened before,but eventually stops.One day i will have to change the way i eat though.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nexium may in fact work better overall. It's a second generation proton pump inhibitor as is protonix. I agree he needs to get in and see a doctor to get it under control.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so what do you do if you have a hiatal hernia. just found out i have it after a endoscopy last week. have an appointment with doctor on tues, what do you think he will recommend?
It all depends on how big the hiatal hernia is. If it's not significant in size, they'll just probably treat it with antacids and proton pump inhibitors. However, if it's large enough, sometimes surgery may be required.

Last edited:
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It all depends on how big the hiatal hernia is. If it's not significant in size, they'll just probably treat it with antacids and proton pump inhibitors. However, if it's large enough, sometimes surgery may be required.
i was told by doctor doing endoscopy that it is small, fortunately. i guess that is why pepcid complete works well for me, with the added antacid.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i was told by doctor doing endoscopy that it is small, fortunately. i guess that is why pepcid complete works well for me, with the added antacid.
That's definitely good news. I would expect treatment to probably continue as is for your issue.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's definitely good news. I would expect treatment to probably continue as is for your issue.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Trauma1 again."

Impressive overall knowledge, T1 :thumbsup:

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
well nexium seems to be helping, usually my diet is pretty on point, but last night i was out with the guys and had mexican food and plenty of beer... and i didn't run into any problems, had a tad bit of heartburn this morning but nothing like it would normally be

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thats how prilosec is for me.Usually no heartburn,but every now and then it starts acting back up.I have had the last four days off due to technical reasons,and it's back to never getting heartburn regardless of what i eat.If it starts tomorrow when i go back to work,or soon after,i will just have to stop working for health reasons :)

bdpeck

bdpeck

Awards
has anyone tried nexium while being on ph's and pct cause i find that i still get upper abdominal pain?

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
protonix has been working pretty well for me, as long as I take it daily.
I'm getting an endoscopy soon.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
has anyone tried nexium while being on ph's and pct cause i find that i still get upper abdominal pain?
I take prilosec, which is supposed to be similar, EOD for years without abdominal pain. I've done it on cycle and PCT.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
I'm on cycle right now and taking liquid clen along with Nexium... All in all things have been good, only had one minor incident where i felt some minor abdominal discomfort and that dull ache in my sternum, but after maybe 15 min it went' away

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Are ya'll refering to the pressure pain right under your bottom ribs in the middle?

jds1978

Awards
I had acid reflux so bad it would come up to my mouth.... If you want to cure it fast and cheap read the back of a baking soda box..havent had it since!!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I had acid reflux so bad it would come up to my mouth.... If you want to cure it fast and cheap read the back of a baking soda box..havent had it since!!
Thats nasty though.I tried that before and would still get it back pretty quickly.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Are there any supplements that work well to control acid reflux?
Osteobolin C- 6 capsules per day will knock out any acid reflux- there are several different cissus studies that confirm this- here is one of the newer ones :)

Chem Biol Interact. 2006 Jul 10;161(3):262-70. Epub 2006 May 1. Links
Gastroprotective action of Cissus quadrangularis extract against NSAID induced gastric ulcer: role of proinflammatory cytokines and oxidative damage.Jainu M, Devi CS.
Department of Biochemistry, University of Madras, A.C. Tech, Guindy Campus, Chennai 600025, Tamil Nadu, India. [email protected]

The objective of this research was to analyse the gastroprotective effect of Cissus quadrangularis extract (CQE) along with its mechanism underlying the therapeutic action against the gastric mucosal damage induced by aspirin. In this study, we investigated the effect of CQE on the course of experimentally induced gastric ulcer by analyzing the levels of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta), microvascular permeability, activity of nitric oxide synthase-2 (NOS-2), mitochondrial antioxidants, lipid peroxidation and DNA damage. A significant increase in vascular permeability, NOS-2 activity, TNF-alpha, IL-1beta levels and oxidative damage were noted in aspirin administered rats. Pretreatment with CQE (500 mg/kg bw/day) by oral gavage for 7 days significantly attenuated these biochemical changes caused by aspirin in rats. Tissue damage was showed by decreased levels of glutathione (GSH), superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (CAT) and an associated rise in lipid peroxidation (LPO) in mitochondria, which were reversed by CQE. In addition, CQE prevents oxidative damage of DNA by reducing DNA fragmentation indicating its block on cell death. Ulcer protection in CQE treated rats was confirmed by histoarchitecture, which was comprised of reduced size of ulcer crater and restoration of mucosal epithelium. Thus, reduced neutrophil infiltration, antiapoptotic and antioxidant action have a pivotal role in the gastroprotective effect of CQE.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Interesting! I did not think along those lines! :D
me either, definately something to think about. wonder if osteobolin-c would counter the stomach issues i get when taking drive? had to discontinue before getting results due to upset stomach.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
i'v used 2 grams per day of cissus and never didn't notice any relief

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established