non-nauseating creatine?

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I get great effects from creatine monohydrate,
but a couple years ago it started making me feel very sick to my stomach so I quit using it. Has anyone in the same situation had first hand experience with newer formulations and blends of creatine that can honestly say the effects were as good or better, and with reduced nausea?

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
Low water intake could cause the symptoms you describe.

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
I have used AST's Micro Creatine for a few years now and have never experienced any of those sides. As stated before, make sure you keep your water intake high.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
I get great effects from creatine monohydrate,
but a couple years ago it started making me feel very sick to my stomach so I quit using it. Has anyone in the same situation had first hand experience with newer formulations and blends of creatine that can honestly say the effects were as good or better, and with reduced nausea?
couple of years ago?

the first time i took CM.. i got a bad stomach ache...lowered the dose the next day and felt fine...

try it again or you could look into another form of creatine, but CM reigns king IMO

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
what brand and type do you use?
whatever's cheapest as long as it's pure. The last time was GNC's generic line. There are certain newer brands, like con-cret, which claims all the benefits and no sides, but it's very expensive for creatine if you ask me, and like anyone else I'd like to spend my money wisely. I haven't worked out in a year and need to get back into shape, so I'm just trying to get all my supplements in order first.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Creatine Gluconate has been the most side-effect free form that I have found.

Second is Malate.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
couple of years ago?

the first time i took CM.. i got a bad stomach ache...lowered the dose the next day and felt fine...
yeah it's weird, I mean, in my early 20's I would take a lot more creatine than I do now with no problem (be 28 next month)

and now I even if I drink so much water that I'm sick of water
it still churns my stomach.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you tried mixing it with Chum...then sipping slowly, swishing the chunks around in your mouth before swallowing loudly and making yummy noises?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Creatine Gluconate has been the most side-effect free form that I have found.

Second is Malate.
I 100% agree here. I've by far had the best success and least side effects with gluconate.

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried mixing it with Chum...then sipping slowly, swishing the chunks around in your mouth before swallowing loudly and making yummy noises?
That sounds like you are speaking from personal experience. Does your BF like it when you do that?!?!

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Don't take so much at a time. I used to get stomach aches from Mono when I took too much. Or make sure you take it with some sugars or simple carbs. Also, I recently tried both CEE (in the form of Neovar) and Tricreatine Malate. You might get less side effects with that.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't take so much at a time. I used to get stomach aches from Mono when I took too much. Or make sure you take it with some sugars or simple carbs. Also, I recently tried both CEE (in the form of Neovar) and Tricreatine Malate. You might get less side effects with that.
Right. Some alternative creatine forms have been mentioned already (gluconate, malate). Other options may include creatine alpha ketoglutarate, tri-creatine orotate, and so on. I am personally a negative creatine monohydrate responder, although it appears to be the form that has the most studies and following behind it. There have been several suggestions on this forum to mix (dissolve) creatine monohydrate in warm water, to significantly enhance its absorption, and consequently eliminate the gastric challenges non-/negative responders usually go through. I have not implemented this suggestion yet. It might help, nevertheless.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nightwanderer,
I had the same problems with mono and haven't had any issues with CEE. I might give Dsade's suggestion a try next though.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One of the problems is not enough water intake while taking creatine mono. Another is taking too much or taking too much at a time.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used mono about ten years ago...I didn't know much about anything then and likely didn't drink enough water.