Glutamine and Recovery

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
I take 5 grams of glutamine with my preworkout mix and 5 grams after workouts with a protein shake. I also take 5 grams before bed. Ive heard that glutamine has a negative reaction with taurine, is that true? i ussually mix in five grams of taurine before and after workouts with the glutamine. I was also just wondering the overall effectiveness of glutamine in aiding with muscle recovery? are there better powders out there?

zachattack43

zachattack43

Awards
I take 5 grams of glutamine with my preworkout mix and 5 grams after workouts with a protein shake. I also take 5 grams before bed. Ive heard that glutamine has a negative reaction with taurine, is that true? i ussually mix in five grams of taurine before and after workouts with the glutamine. I was also just wondering the overall effectiveness of glutamine in aiding with muscle recovery? are there better powders out there?
there is no proof glutamine aids in recovery, if you think so then you misinterpreted the literature or just read too many ads. Maybe to help your immune system when you are sick.

Anyways, Taurine would not interfere

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Don't spend money on glutamine. Spend that money on food, bills, lap dances etc.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Glutamine is one of those supps some people swear by and others read studies without trying it and say it is garbage. The best thing you can do is try it for yourself and see if you like it or not which you are already doing. If you think its helping, keep taking it, if it isn't then don't buy another tub.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Better taking BCAA's or leucine for muscle growth.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Id do protein and carbs for recovery. Way better option.

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
well obiously the glutamine goes in with it lol

EDIT** anyone who just takes glutamine and water after a workout would have me questioning them big time

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
yeah pretty sure thats a given. im taking it now just because i bought some about a year ago and i figured i might as well give it a go. not too sure if i notice anything different. My legs definitely recover quicker but that may be down to me trainging them weekly rather then just here and there.

buddy6

Awards
I tried using it and personally didn't like it. Dave Palumbo isn't a fan of it either saying if you take in enough protein especially whey you can syntasize more than enough. I have also herd it has terrible obsorbtion (can't spell :mad: ) orally, this is why it is used intravenusly which does work well.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established

yes, i concur.

when & how much used determine the effectiveness.
if you're in mass mode, not gonna do much.
if you're heavy dieting or prepping for show, it's a must.
and to be effective, dosing guidelines call for minimum 10g pre w/o, another 10g post w/o.
it can be taken before bed as well, but i question the use of it here, better option for recovery is the former.

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
yes, i concur.

when & how much used determine the effectiveness.
if you're in mass mode, not gonna do much.
if you're heavy dieting or prepping for show, it's a must.
and to be effective, dosing guidelines call for minimum 10g pre w/o, another 10g post w/o.
it can be taken before bed as well, but i question the use of it here, better option for recovery is the former.
ive only used 5 pre and post guess ill be bumping that up, well nevermind now that i think about it my whey already has 4 gr per scoop so maybe ive theoretically have already been doing 15 hr pre and post, my post shake also has 100gr of WMS in with the protein its great it swells me up and im hungry 20 minutes after i drink it so i think my body absorbs it quickly!

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ive only used 5 pre and post guess ill be bumping that up, well nevermind now that i think about it my whey already has 4 gr per scoop so maybe ive theoretically have already been doing 15 hr pre and post, my post shake also has 100gr of WMS in with the protein its great it swells me up and im hungry 20 minutes after i drink it so i think my body absorbs it quickly!
i personally don't pay attention to the amounts listed in whey; the 10g guideline is straight glut for me, any amount i get from other sources is just a bonus.

my use for whey is only for protein content, not trying to get specific aminos or vitamins from it.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What I did a while back during my cut was do 5gr ~15min. before morning and nite meals. Then 10gr on an empty stomach which was about 20-30 min pre-workout and immediately post-workout then do some Low-Intensity cardio.

It worked real well. I've been trying to do it the last few days but I just can't remember to....waaaay too much on my mind now-a-days vs. back then

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I tried using it and personally didn't like it. Dave Palumbo isn't a fan of it either saying if you take in enough protein especially whey you can syntasize more than enough. I have also herd it has terrible obsorbtion (can't spell :mad: ) orally, this is why it is used intravenusly which does work well.
absorption is an issue; lotta guys swear by peptides.
i like peptide version myself.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What I did a while back during my cut was do 5gr ~15min. before morning and nite meals. Then 10gr on an empty stomach which was about 20-30 min pre-workout and immediately post-workout then do some Low-Intensity cardio.

It worked real well. I've been trying to do it the last few days but I just can't remember to....waaaay too much on my mind now-a-days vs. back then
that approach makes sense...

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
the best glut product in existence bar none imo (excluding intravenous use - don't know a thing about that) is beverly international's glutamine select.
the stuff is phenomenal - again, in strict dieting mode. combined w/ bcaa's, this product is off the hook effective.
only problem is it'll run ya a small fortune to use properly...

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Here's the truth.

BCAA's are what the body uses to make Glutamine, which is the most abundant amino acid in the formation of muscle tissue. In fact, Glutamine comprises over 97% of new muscle cell growth. In other words, you can eat protein all day long but it's only the Glutamine that will ultimately grow more muscle. By now you may be wondering; "Why not just take Glutamine?" Well, that's exactly what most companies thought too, (or more accurately, that's what they wanted you to think). It's the reason Glutamine went on to became a very popular supplement. There's just one problem:

The body cannot absorb orally ingested Glutamine!!!

Most supplemental Glutamine is destroyed by digestive enzymes before it ever gets into the bloodstream. That's why no one ever got any impressive results from the use of all that extra Glutamine. The ONLY way for your muscles to reap the benefits of Glutamine is the way nature intended - by converting it from the Branched Chain Amino Acids! Buy some BCAA's or leucine. Save your money.

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
the best glut product in existence bar none imo (excluding intravenous use - don't know a thing about that) is beverly international's glutamine select.
the stuff is phenomenal - again, in strict dieting mode. combined w/ bcaa's, this product is off the hook effective.
anything beverly international is a small fortune lol, but they products are top notch!

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
Here's the truth.

BCAA's are what the body uses to make Glutamine, which is the most abundant amino acid in the formation of muscle tissue. In fact, Glutamine comprises over 97% of new muscle cell growth. In other words, you can eat protein all day long but it's only the Glutamine that will ultimately grow more muscle. By now you may be wondering; "Why not just take Glutamine?" Well, that's exactly what most companies thought too, (or more accurately, that's what they wanted you to think). It's the reason Glutamine went on to became a very popular supplement. There's just one problem:

Most supplemental Glutamine is destroyed by digestive enzymes before it ever gets into the bloodstream. That's why no one ever got any impressive results from the use of all that extra Glutamine. The ONLY way for your muscles to reap the benefits of Glutamine is the way nature intended - by converting it from the Branched Chain Amino Acids! Buy some BCAA's or leucine. Save your money.

ohhh ok well i take bulk luecine but ive read not to gover 6 gr's but that sounds like a bunch of bs i dont see why i cant go as high as 20gr for the day

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats exactly what I used around my workout's. I just used bulk powder for morning and nite doses. I grabbed it for cheap because it was near expiration.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
anything beverly international is a small fortune lol, but they products are top notch!
I've been hearing more and more positive things about this company recently but it doesn't get much recognition on this board. I must check them out.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've been hearing more and more positive things about this company recently but it doesn't get much recognition on this board. I must check them out.
i'm a bev diehard man; every single thing they put out is quality. salty, but that company knows what they're doing, & been doing it for 40 yrs.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glutamine is one of those supps some people swear by and others read studies without trying it and say it is garbage....

:goodpost:

And reps!

Glutamine is not useless!

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here's the truth.

good points...
that's why the bev formula works so well, combined w/ bcaa's.

i make my own concoction, combining peptides w/ bcaa's for a cheaper alternative. i would'nt do it if i didn't get results...

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
Glutamine and Creatine

I just read on some board that one should not take glutamine and creatine together bcse they compete for the same receptors. Is there any truth to this?

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
i'm a bev diehard man; every single thing they put out is quality. salty, but that company knows what they're doing, & been doing it for 40 yrs.
Sweet! im all over it now:type:

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Glutamine is not useless.

Taking it as a supplement is though. There are certain conditions where it has shown to be of benefit but not in bodybuilding. The placebo effect is a wonderful thing though and people just love to buy unecessary stuff. So, enjoy.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glutamine is definitely not useless. Recall that Gluamine is neither an essential nor a non-essential amino acid. It is a conditionally essential amino acid. This means the body is unable to produce enough glutamine under certain circumstances such as periods of intense exercises, after surgery, infectious disease, and so on.

The body uses about 20 or so amino acids in protein synthesis. Of these, Glutamine is the most abundant, making up about 50% of blood amino acid concentration and 60% of total amino acids in the body. After BCAAs, Glutamine is the next most important amino acid for anabolism. As a nitrogen and carbon donor, glutamine is an important muscle-building amino acid. Glutamine possesses a unique structure: It contains two nitrogen side chains. This means that it is responsible for about a third of the nitrogen that penetrates the muscle cell. As an anti-catabolic amino acid, glutamine regulates protein synthesis in muscles by preserving muscle cells and boosting post-exercise muscle glycogen. Glutamine's capacity to maintain lean mass and enhance nitrogen retention is also particularly important during periods of low calorie intake.

Glutamine synthesis protects the body and brain from ammonia toxicity. Glutamine can cross the blood-brain barrier. At the brain level, Glutamine is a crucial substrate for the production of excitatory and inhibitory neurotransmitters, glutamate and glutamate and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Some glutamate is used in the synthesis of Niacin and Glutathione, some as energy, and some as neurotransmitter. Furthermore, the nervous system requires Glutamine as a source of energy. When the brain does not receive enough glucose, it increases glutamine metabolism for energy. This is why glutamine is sometimes referred to as "brain food". Also, glutamine helps prevent hypoglycemia, as it is converted to glucose when blood sugar is low. Glutamine also helps in regulating cellular fluid levels via its dependence on sodium transport.

Glutamine plays a vital role in supporting the immune system via boosting the white blood cells, and is important in maintaining the integrity of the gastro-intestinal lining.

In my opinion, therefore, the only problem with glutamine supplementation that could give the erroneous impression that glutamine is worthless, is the fact that only about 20% of regular L-Glutamine consumed ever reach the blood stream to elicit anti-cataboilic and anabolic effects. This means that 80% of ingested Glutamine is absorbed by the intestines and used for immune-system support. To get around this situation, very large amounts (> 20g) of Glutamine would need to be supplemented daily. Some have even suggested placing the glutamine directly under the tongue and allowing it to dissolve slowly. This way more Glutamine will be absorbed into the blood stream. Alternatively, advanced Gluamine forms and Glutamine precursors can be used. Examples include L-Glutamine-Alpha Ketoglutarate, N-Acetyl-L-Glutamine, N-Alanyl-L-Glutamine, L-Alanine, and Alpha Ketoglutarate. This way, a smaller quantity would be required.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Well it seems that everyone is well versed at the ole "cut & paste"

Has anyone that hawks glutamine ever done studies on the effects of glutamine on a well nourished person? Any studies showing what happens to glutamine when ingested by someone well nourished and intact serum pool of amino acids?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well it seems that everyone is well versed at the ole "cut & paste"...
I do not do "cut & paste", assuming you even obliquely referred to me!

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I do not do "cut & paste", assuming you even obliquely referred to me!
Yes I was referring to you as well as the other post.

Unless you are you telling me that came off the top of your head?

If so then props to you. Still doesn't change the fact that supplemenation for the average or above average bodybuilder is really not necessary although not counter productive.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Still doesn't change the fact that supplemenation for the average or above average bodybuilder is really not necessary although not counter productive.

damn cartman, you suck!!
j/k, i love south park...

i think i said it earlier, and strategic move just reiterated in his last post, that it's more beneficial for CERTAIN circumstances like extreme dieting (precontest dieting for example).
mostly, your average bodybuilder will not be doing contests, ergo no extreme dieting, so no it's not something the AVERAGE guy would want to spend their money on.
but it most definitely has it's uses, which leads me to the next post...

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Glutamine is definitely not useless. Recall that Gluamine is neither an essential nor a non-essential amino acid. It is a conditionally essential amino acid. This means the body is unable to produce enough glutamine under certain circumstances such as periods of intense exercises, after surgery, infectious disease, and so on.

The body uses about 20 or so amino acids in protein synthesis. Of these, Glutamine is the most abundant, making up about 50% of blood amino acid concentration and 60% of total amino acids in the body. After BCAAs, Glutamine is the next most important amino acid for anabolism. As a nitrogen and carbon donor, glutamine is an important muscle-building amino acid. Glutamine possesses a unique structure: It contains two nitrogen side chains. This means that it is responsible for about a third of the nitrogen that penetrates the muscle cell. As an anti-catabolic amino acid, glutamine regulates protein synthesis in muscles by preserving muscle cells and boosting post-exercise muscle glycogen. Glutamine's capacity to maintain lean mass and enhance nitrogen retention is also particularly important during periods of low calorie intake.

Glutamine synthesis protects the body and brain from ammonia toxicity. Glutamine can cross the blood-brain barrier. At the brain level, Glutamine is a crucial substrate for the production of excitatory and inhibitory neurotransmitters, glutamate and glutamate and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Some glutamate is used in the synthesis of Niacin and Glutathione, some as energy, and some as neurotransmitter. Furthermore, the nervous system requires Glutamine as a source of energy. When the brain does not receive enough glucose, it increases glutamine metabolism for energy. This is why glutamine is sometimes referred to as "brain food". Also, glutamine helps prevent hypoglycemia, as it is converted to glucose when blood sugar is low. Glutamine also helps in regulating cellular fluid levels via its dependence on sodium transport.

Glutamine plays a vital role in supporting the immune system via boosting the white blood cells, and is important in maintaining the integrity of the gastro-intestinal lining.

In my opinion, therefore, the only problem with glutamine supplementation that could give the erroneous impression that glutamine is worthless, is the fact that only about 20% of regular L-Glutamine consumed ever reach the blood stream to elicit anti-cataboilic and anabolic effects. This means that 80% of ingested Glutamine is absorbed by the intestines and used for immune-system support. To get around this situation, very large amounts (> 20g) of Glutamine would need to be supplemented daily. Some have even suggested placing the glutamine directly under the tongue and allowing it to dissolve slowly. This way more Glutamine will be absorbed into the blood stream. Alternatively, advanced Gluamine forms and Glutamine precursors can be used. Examples include L-Glutamine-Alpha Ketoglutarate, N-Acetyl-L-Glutamine, N-Alanyl-L-Glutamine, L-Alanine, and Alpha Ketoglutarate. This way, a smaller quantity would be required.
...whether you copy & pasted or not, props to ya for that info, good stuff man.

repped.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just read on some board that one should not take glutamine and creatine together bcse they compete for the same receptors. Is there any truth to this?
hey i missed this one, bring it back to the forefront.

never heard this and it really doesn't seem logical, but if there is info to this effect someone please post.

i do personally mix the two...

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks. Still not "cut & paste"! :D

Could you explain this, please?
1562 reputation hits, impressive. :)

since you're obviously well informed, any truth to glutamine & creatine fighting each other for uptake if ingested at same time?

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
soo basically the more bcaa's i have with my glutamine powder the more the glutamine with be absorbed and work??

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
During bulking, glutamine is overkill because you are in a caloric surplus; however, while cutting, glutamine has its uses, mainly digestive aid and immune system boosting. That being said, if money is an issue, then glutamine would be one of my first cuts.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
since you're obviously well informed, any truth to glutamine & creatine fighting each other for uptake if ingested at same time?
Taking creatine and glutamine simultaneously is synergistic, not antagonistic because creatine and glutamine work via different pathways. The body can continue to absorb and utilize glutamine for different purposes (faster recovery, protein and growth hormone syntheses, and so on) even after creatine stores are full. Combined, the two deliver superior benefits, including optimized hydration of muscle cells, an important factor for a primed anabolic environment.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Taking creatine and glutamine simultaneously is synergistic, not antagonistic because creatine and glutamine work via different pathways. The body can continue to absorb and utilize glutamine for different purposes (faster recovery, protein and growth hormone syntheses, and so on) even after creatine stores are full. Combined, the two deliver superior benefits, including optimized hydration of muscle cells, an important factor for a primed anabolic environment.
awesome! i knew this intellectually, & this confirms the theory that i practice myself. always good to know fo sho tho...

good stuff there strategic - i'd rep again if i could!