Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate (A-AKG)

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Simple question- legit pre-workout supplement or not? Wondering if I should crack the seal on this bottle and use it.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I get mine in bulk from NutraPlanet. Stuff gives me unbelievable pumps. I take 1 heaping teaspoon in a glass of water about 20 minutes before I start my workout.

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
It's the main ingredient in most NO products. Great pump and definitely a lot cheaper in bulk and lasts a long time.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i predict AAKG bulk powder sales at NP to go up and it to go out of stock....always happens with threads like this.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i have never used the bulk powder, but it has been in some of the blends i have used and produced good results

BigNemo

BigNemo

Awards
  • Established
I've used aakg and for me at least aee works better

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
It appears that AAKG should only be taken pre-workout, only on the days that you DO workout. Regular L-arginine has to be taken everyday it seems, making it more inconvient.

For a 'cheap' pump, I will do:

6-7g of AAKG
1,000mg of Vitamin C

^I take this ONLY on days that I workout.

---------then if you want---------
5g of Beta-Alanine
5g of Creatine Monohydrate
5g of Citrulline
25g Waxy Maize

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It appears that AAKG should only be taken pre-workout, only on the days that you DO workout. Regular L-arginine has to be taken everyday it seems, making it more inconvient.

6-7g of AAKG
1,000mg of Vitamin C

5g of Beta-Alanine
5g of Citrulline
25g Waxy Maize
Yea get some anti-oxidents in there and isn't Vit C suppose to make the pump effect more pronounced because of this? I know CMI makes N03 Overload is tabs and adds in anti-oxidents to help with the free radicals NO2 can produce.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Yea get some anti-oxidents in there and isn't Vit C suppose to make the pump effect more pronounced because of this? I know CMI makes N03 Overload is tabs and adds in anti-oxidents to help with the free radicals NO2 can produce.
Anti-oxidants is good for free-radical control. Vitamin C is supposed to 'extend' the pump over a long window, thus making it more effective. You could put more anti-oxidants if you wanted too, but Vitamin C is cheap, plus it also has additive effects other than just an anti-oxidant.

I've done this several times, but if you go to Wal-Mart, they have this brand called 'Body Fortress' and makes 'Super NOS Pump.'

It is relatively inexpensive and manuf. in the US. I just throw back between 3-6 tablets and a 1,000mg Vitamin C tablet about 45min-1hr before working out. This is about as cheap as it gets.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Simple question- legit pre-workout supplement or not? Wondering if I should crack the seal on this bottle and use it.
Like creatine, arginine bonded to any of the Krebs Cycle intermediate such as citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate, and alpha ketoglutarate, or compounds involved indirectly in the energy cycle, for instance, orotate, pyruvate, and so on, yields improved absorption, bioavailability, and potency.

Consequently, arginine alpha ketoglutarate should be an arginine supplement of choice. You will get all the endothelial-lining-support and vasoldilation properties of arginine plus a number of cool benefits of alpha ketoglutarate (AKG), such as more arginine stability, bioavailability and absorption. Furthermore, alpha ketoglutarate will serve as a transport medium for arginine, making it directly available at the cellular levels for optimal synthesis. Beyond this, alpha ketoglutarate improves the endogenous production of of glutamine and glutamic acid, both important for muscle growth and for the immune system. AKG also binds to toxic ammonia in muscle cells, in the liver, and in the brain, thereby converting ammonia into glutamic acid, improving glutamine levels and assisting in elimination of toxic ammonia from the body. Lastly, as a Krebs Cycle intermediate, AKG improves VO2 Max and energy metabolism in muscle cells, and is consequently a potent ergogenic.

Arginine alpha ketoglutarate all the way!

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
what about aee
Esterification (as in arginine ethyl ester) or bonding with alpha ketoglutarate (as in arginine alpha ketoglutarate) overcomes the typical arginine limitations, ensuring that arginine absorbs optimally and is available for its ergogenic properties. So, you basically need less of arginine ethyl ester or arginine alpha ketoglutarate, compared to base arginine to produce better results than base arginine.

I'll prefer arginine alpha ketoglutarate, though.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Sweet, I'll start taking them tomorrow then. Thanks for the input.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I prefer AAKG simply because is it mostly tasteless and effective.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established

6-7g of AAKG
1,000mg of Vitamin C

5g of Beta-Alanine
5g of Citrulline
25g Waxy Maize
This works out perfectly with my taking 5g mono w/ grape juice (vitamin c and glucose) and then taking the AAKG.

Anti-oxidants is good for free-radical control. Vitamin C is supposed to 'extend' the pump over a long window, thus making it more effective. You could put more anti-oxidants if you wanted too, but Vitamin C is cheap, plus it also has additive effects other than just an anti-oxidant.

I've done this several times, but if you go to Wal-Mart, they have this brand called 'Body Fortress' and makes 'Super NOS Pump.'

It is relatively inexpensive and manuf. in the US. I just throw back between 3-6 tablets and a 1,000mg Vitamin C tablet about 45min-1hr before working out. This is about as cheap as it gets.
That's the brand I bought. Have you heard of their fantastic-looking pre-workout powder called "Super NOS Blast" (not to be confused with the inferior Precision Engineered "NOS Blast" product at vitamin world)? The ingredients are stacked, and, since it's Body Fortress, I'm guessing it's relatively cheap. I hear fruit punch tastes great, too. They don't carry it at my Walmart, nor can you order their products from their site; do they have it at your local walmart?

Like creatine, arginine bonded to any of the Krebs Cycle intermediate such as citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate, and alpha ketoglutarate, or compounds involved indirectly in the energy cycle, for instance, orotate, pyruvate, and so on, yields improved absorption, bioavailability, and potency.

Consequently, arginine alpha ketoglutarate should be an arginine supplement of choice. You will get all the endothelial-lining-support and vasoldilation properties of arginine plus a number of cool benefits of alpha ketoglutarate (AKG), such as more arginine stability, bioavailability and absorption. Furthermore, alpha ketoglutarate will serve as a transport medium for arginine, making it directly available at the cellular levels for optimal synthesis. Beyond this, alpha ketoglutarate improves the endogenous production of of glutamine and glutamic acid, both important for muscle growth and for the immune system. AKG also binds to toxic ammonia in muscle cells, in the liver, and in the brain, thereby converting ammonia into glutamic acid, improving glutamine levels and assisting in elimination of toxic ammonia from the body. Lastly, as a Krebs Cycle intermediate, AKG improves VO2 Max and energy metabolism in muscle cells, and is consequently a potent ergogenic.

Arginine alpha ketoglutarate all the way!
Great info, definitely taking them tomorrow.

LAC

LAC

Awards
Should AAKG be taken before bed?
or maybe regular Aginine?

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
why shouldnt AAKG be taken on non workout days? I ususually take 5 grams in the morn and then 5 grams before workouts for 6 weeks. I used to use the expenisive GNC NO2 product a while back and had great results. Turns out i can make my own for 80 bucks cheaper.

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
Whats the point of taking a pump product on non-workout days? 10g a day is a bit over kill if you ask me.
I don't like taking it before bed just well cause whats the point. Might even keep me awake.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
im 6-2 220. i thought u needed to take it on non workout days to keep levels up? Im not really sure i think i may have read that a while back. I only take one day off from training every seven so i just take it on that one day anyway

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
I guess you could take it on workout days but I just prefer to take it on workout days only to save money. Even for your weight I still think 10g is a lot. I usually take about 3-5g with 200mg Caffeine and about a gram of Taurine before I workout. Adjust your tolerance start low and bring yourself up and I guess if you need 10g then keep it there.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
im 6-2 220. i thought u needed to take it on non workout days to keep levels up? Im not really sure i think i may have read that a while back. I only take one day off from training every seven so i just take it on that one day anyway
That's not how NO works...you dont want chronically elevated levels of NO...trust me.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
oh crap whys that? ive always done that in the past. whats the effect?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
haha yeah i get enough of that in school. what exactly is a free radical as it pertains to the body though i hear it a lot?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha yeah i get enough of that in school. what exactly is a free radical as it pertains to the body though i hear it a lot?
Basically, it is a cleaved molecule floating around in the body. This is something that you do not want to have prolonged, elevated levels of due to it's effects on performance, recovery, etc.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
how do u minimize free radicals? what can u take?

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Bulk AEE is the worst/most bitter thing I have ever tasted.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I've seen the Super NOS Blast which is the Wal-mart powder version. I haven't tried it before, as their tub is around $30.00 or so if I remember correctly which is kinda steep, esp. at Wal-mart.

Agree, no point in taking NO supps. on non-workout days due to free radicals. Someone beat me to it already.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
may taste like crap but it works better than aakg, in my humble opinion.
Why do you think so?

Esterification (as in arginine ethyl ester) or bonding with alpha ketoglutarate (as in arginine alpha ketoglutarate) would promote absorption, stability, and bioavailability. But beyond this, alpha ketoglutarate has many other properties that esterification would not deliver. Examples may include enhanced glutamin/glutamic-acid synthesis; elimination of ammonia in muscle, liver, and brain cells; and improvement of VO2 Max and energy metabolism in muscle cells.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
ok I ordered nutraplanets aakg yesterday, can I mix it in with my cm pre workout or do I need to drink another glass with just aakg?

snookl187

snookl187

Awards
  • Established
anyone notice the libido enhancing effects of this stuff?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok I ordered nutraplanets aakg yesterday, can I mix it in with my cm pre workout or do I need to drink another glass with just aakg?
AAKG can be mixed with CM (citrulline malate or creatine monohydrate) pre-workout.

BigNemo

BigNemo

Awards
  • Established
I do understand the other benefits of aakg but for pump I never felt it was "ALL THAT" I just seem to get better pumps off aee.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do understand the other benefits of aakg but for pump I never felt it was "ALL THAT" I just seem to get better pumps off aee.
At the same doses?

psychobabble

psychobabble

Awards
  • Established
did u ended up opening the bottlle ? if so how'd it work out from u ? im actually thinking of buy this product from nutra planet myself

psychobabble

psychobabble

Awards
  • Established
did u ended up opening the bottlle ? if so how'd it work out from u ? im actually thinking of buy this product from nutra planet myself

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
i got mine in and opened it, took it yesterday with my creatine mono 1 tsp of each in my grape juice and went to working out like 10 mins later. i did have a good pump after the workout and throughout most of the day so i guess its working today is a off day so i havent had it today

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Basically, it is a cleaved molecule floating around in the body. This is something that you do not want to have prolonged, elevated levels of due to it's effects on performance, recovery, etc.
I've been looking for this thread to find this very valid point that i think is worth mentioning and bumping.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dude, you got NO on the brain tonight? I thought I had been transported back to 2003 what I peeked in the supplement forum tonight, what with all the aakg/no/citrulline threads being bumped.