What are your thoughts about NAC?

itln stln

itln stln

Awards
Does anybody use this? Is it a staple for post-workout? Is it worthless?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
NAC is awesome. It is part of my vitalizer multiple. Great antioxidant.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I use it - Beast turned me on to it a year or 2 ago for post-WO.

Zombie

Zombie

Awards
  • Established
i use it at 1.6gr ED divided in 2 doses along with some extra Vit C and some Milkt histle

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What is ED again?

Zombie

Zombie

Awards
  • Established
way, way too much. It takes only 600 mg/day to increase hypoxic ventilatory response in humans.

N-acetylcysteine (NAC)..safe? - ImmInst Forums pay special attention to what 'zoolander' has to say.

i would keep your dose @ 300mg daily.. more only if your on/post cycle
well i havent had any problems with that dose. as long as i keep myself well hydrated theres no problem on taking that much.

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
well i havent had any problems with that dose. as long as i keep myself well hydrated theres no problem on taking that much.
you obviously did not read that link... you would not 'feel' the problems from it

a whey protein high in glycomacropeptides would be a more effective & safer cysteine donor than NAC. jarrow and vpx make them, off the top of my head.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
What proteins would those be specifically?

What would I look for - apart from what Zoolander said, undenatured.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive used Nac for three years now. Great anti-ox! raises Cysine(sp) levels

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Wait a sec - I just realized this was done on mice.

I'll hold off on stopping NAC completely until I see something done on humans.

Sorry - mice aren't the greatest model.

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
Wait a sec - I just realized this was done on mice.

I'll hold off on stopping NAC completely until I see something done on humans.

Sorry - mice aren't the greatest model.
human physiology and animal physiology are very similar in some aspects... if you take nac daily, i would read through the whole thread in detail...

point being is that the benefits of nac are because its an effective and stable cysteine donor.. and there other safe and effective cysteine donors. i quit taking it because i respect zoolanders expertise, and HE quit taking it.

improvelife

Awards
Nac

Hi NAC is one of my favorite supplements along with R-ALPHA LIPOIC ACID, I going to be writing a article on these supplements at my website within a week or two.

NAC can keep you awake if taken late in the evening so be wary of that.

You can find my website under :my homepage,in my profile, if interested.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi NAC is one of my favorite supplements along with R-ALPHA LIPOIC ACID, I going to be writing a article on these supplements at my website within a week or two.

NAC can keep you awake if taken late in the evening so be wary of that.

You can find my website under :my homepage,in my profile, if interested.
Good first post!

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I believe the recommended daily (non-therapeutic) dosage is 600mg. It is recommended, however, to take at least two times as much Vitamin C with it to help NAC maintain stability. As Alpha Lipoic Acid is both water and fat-soluble, it should also be able to play the Vitamin C role. When I supplement with NAC, I add water-soluble vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and fat-soluble Vitamin C (ascorbyl palmitate).

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established

Aren't there studies that say that we should avoid anti-ox post workout?

anti-ox could reduce the inflammatory processes/signaling that is essential for muscle growth?? :)

itln stln

itln stln

Awards
Aren't there studies that say that we should avoid anti-ox post workout?

anti-ox could reduce the inflammatory processes/signaling that is essential for muscle growth?? :)
I had a bottle of NAC a while ago from a different manufacture than the one I am using now and I remember it saying to take after workout. I have read articles saying it can hinder test production taking after workout and that Zinc and NAC counteract each other leading to Zinc excretion.

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
I had a bottle of NAC a while ago from a different manufacture than the one I am using now and I remember it saying to take after workout. I have read articles saying it can hinder test production taking after workout and that Zinc and NAC counteract each other leading to Zinc excretion.
Supplement manufacturers are not to be trusted, IMHO. :)

itln stln

itln stln

Awards
Supplement manufacturers are not to be trusted, IMHO. :)
Exactly. So if it excretes zinc which is good for you and test production, when would be a good time to take it. I take my ADAM multi split up 3/day. Should I take it when I sleep? I have read that it was mainly used for breaking up mucus in people who have respiratory problems and noticed when I come down with a cold, it is usually short term due to taking NAC...I guess.