to HMB or not to HMB, that is the question?

To HMB or not to HMB

• Yes, at 10g a day it will be worthwhile

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Yes, but you need to go higher than 10g a day

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes, but you can get away with lower than 10g (please post)

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • No, it won't make a difference on top of all the other crazy stuff you are taking

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • No, it just plain doesn't work.

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10g a day sound like enough to make a difference? :) I was looking at pricing, and NP has it for $35 for 500g. At 10/day thats 50 days, so under a buck a day. not too bad.

Thinks its worth adding on top of high dose forslean and x-factor + leviathan reloaded?

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I never got anything from it, even when at 3 x the reccomended dosage(EAS brand). I would save your money man!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am a big fan of HMB while dieting, especially in conjunction with BCAAs. Helps to not only avoid catabolism, but increases strength and LBM as well.

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
I like it.. I took 5 grams a day while recovering from an appendectomy (6 weeks downtime) and I lost little if any musclemass. I would spread a 10 gram or higher dose carefully because it can give you the sh*ts..

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
From my experience with HMB it doesn't do much in the arena of price to results. Just my take though.

Eyayo

Eyayo

Awards
I am a big fan of HMB while dieting, especially in conjunction with BCAAs. Helps to not only avoid catabolism, but increases strength and LBM as well.
any specific brand u like?

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
I'm middle of the road on this one. I used it 10 years ago, and 'seemed' to get results when I used it with creatine. If I remember, creatine, HMB and caffiene all fight for the same receptors so space your dosings out.

For the price...I dunno. It was before the internet was around really, so everything I ever bought was from a GNC. If you can find it like you say, at about $1.00 a day (I sound like Sally Strothers) dose it high.

BigNemo

BigNemo

Awards
  • Established
I've been using hmb for a while now and it is a staple for me. Also the max dose of hmb should be around 3.5 gm anything over and ur wasting money, I take about 3.3 grams a day, I forget what the dosage is per pound but at 215-220 thats what I take and it works, not like roids but even when ur diet is ****ty u won't lose muscle, bottom line, hmb is why ppl take so much lucine , torrent, anator..... all high lucinem and different forms, my opinion they're trying to make a sort of time release hmb, since hmb's half life is very short. 10 grams a day? I say you need to research some more (no disrespect). I have been a big fan of hmb since I think like 1997 when it first hit the news.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had no noticeable effect at 3g a day, which is how I took it for over a month last time I used it.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
i tried the EAS brand before and didn't really get much out of it other than it tasted good. I had a friend who took it following a surgery and he ended up recovery like a week earlier than expected, I know that really doesn't help your question much but I just figured I would throw it out there.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
First supp i ever took and the weight flew on like crazy. i have used it again about two years ago and may have noticed a slight strength increase. in powder form it is pretty hard to get down.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
My understanding is that it has dramatic results with new trainers, but not so much with experienced ones.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
My understanding is that it has dramatic results with new trainers, but not so much with experienced ones.
Agreed! i was 16 when i started on it. over the next 2/3 months i easily put on 20lbs. i started at 72kg. couldn't get higher then that. started the HMB, within 6 months i was in the mid 80's then added creatine. bout 18 months later i was 90kgs with a crappy diet then it plateud out and i discovered alcohol.:drunk:

BigNemo

BigNemo

Awards
  • Established
1 month isn't long enough, it's not a ph it is a amino acid metabolite just like beta alinine which takes longer than a month for the effects to be more than just a tingling feeling.

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
From reading this thread it has just confused me. Is it really all hit or miss with HMB?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
1 month isn't long enough, it's not a ph it is a amino acid metabolite just like beta alinine which takes longer than a month for the effects to be more than just a tingling feeling.
Wait theres more to Beta Alanine than just a tingling feeling!!!! I was sold just on that part of it. Seriously though I think thats a pretty good point, hmb seems to be more of a commitment.

BigNemo

BigNemo

Awards
  • Established
trust me I don't always eat like I should, somtimes I may only get a chance to eat maybe 3x a day and I can't always get enough protein for my size and hmb def helps me maintain my size when food is not available. There have been many studies on hmb, there is a product out there called juven, it is hmb,arginine, and glutamine. Doesn't sound like much however this combo has been shown to increase weight in aids patients, just do a search for hmb and wasting and u will find a wealth of infom also hmb.org.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
. Helps to not only avoid catabolism
Rodja, not disrespecting you at all...as I respect your opinions and have asked questions to you before......BUT....I think the word catabolism is just thrown out wayyyy too loosely.

It just seems that in the bodybuilding world there is a myth that if you dont eat some type of protein every 3 hrs , that you will start muscle catabolism. This is so untrue, and Im sure many of you know this too. Heck, after eating a steak, it doesnt leave your body fully for the next 13 hours, in which that time, the body still is utilizing the AA content from the food. Im just trying to say the word catabolism is just almost a scare tactic know it seems. Used in very bad context most of the time.

Trust me, your body wont start digesting muscles well into 40+hrs of no food, not 3hrs.

thanks
msucurt

BigNemo

BigNemo

Awards
  • Established
msucurt I think that it would depend on ur size, I'm pnly 5'10 215 and like maybe 8-10% bf I am very active and when I lift....I lift. I will still lift on a day that maybe I have not been able to consume much and I will kill myself in the gym just the same, so taking what ur sayin may be true for those who are sedentary, and I know from my own real world results that at least with my body will eat itself if I dont have a somewhat constant stream of amino acids, and yes I agree about the steak thats why it is part of the anabolic diet but lets be reasonable how much steak would u have to consume without any other protein sources to induce protein synth at a rate that for a lot of us try to achieve.
I guess if u know that ur not going to be able to eat for a good chunk of the day, then eat a 16 oz. steak for breakfast but the truth is that from my experience if I don't eat right for a couple of days, I lose weight and not really fat, yes I know everyone is different. That's my 2 cents.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Easy - the studies that showed HMB worked to increase muscle mass were done with creatine also.

I would stack the HMB when you are on a creatine product. (Which I've done.)

I think the doses were in the 3 to 5 gram a day range - so you would be more than OK on that 10g/d dose.

ImJ2x

ImJ2x

Awards
  • Established
From my very limited knowledge of HMB, does it make any sense to only use it on workout days, and maybe only post-workout? (I guess it might also be slightly beneficial the day after lifting?)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In the end i decided to go with 4g a day, been taking it 2 weeks now. Can't say I've noticed anything specific, I am recomping nicely tho

ImJ2x

ImJ2x

Awards
  • Established
Well I picked up a bottle of EAS HMB for 50 cents on the clearance table at my Vitamin Shoppe. It's a total of 50gm, so I'm just trying to think of the best way to use it. I'm considering 3gm/day on workout days only. That would give me 17 workouts, which is about 8 weeks for me. (2 resistance training days/week, currently.) It probably won't do anything, but at 50 cents, who cares?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its a metabolite of leucine, so its a valuable amino acid. for 50 cents why not :)

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Not to HMB. You are better off spending that money on EAAs.

ImJ2x

ImJ2x

Awards
  • Established
Not to HMB. You are better off spending that money on EAAs.
Dammit Reaper -- why didn't you show up with your vast wealth of knowledge and wisdom before I blew 50-cents on some HMB?! :frustrate

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dammit Reaper -- why didn't you show up with your vast wealth of knowledge and wisdom before I blew 50-cents on some HMB?! :frustrate
yeah, think of the effect that will have on ImJ2x's retirement funds ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 26
Supplements 2
GreenMachineX Supplements 11
Supplements 42
Supplements 14