Supps for athlete with celiacs disease?

sjfou

Awards
Friend of mine has just been diagnosed with celiacs disease (wheat/gluten allergy) & is a competitive triathlete - she wants a supp that will help with her recovery.

She hasnt used any supps before, im thinking along the lines of a glutamine based product - any thoughts?

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Poseidon - You can pick it up at NutraPlanet.com

Xtend also comes to mind.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am celiac also. Celiac's arent limited on supplement usage. Glutamine on the other hand is a supplement some celiacs have trouble with. I would also recommend xtend or some other bcaa mix. Poseidon also did help with absorption as celiac is a malabsorption desease.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I am celiac also. Celiac's arent limited on supplement usage. Glutamine on the other hand is a supplement some celiacs have trouble with. I would also recommend xtend or some other bcaa mix. Poseidon also did help with absorption as celiac is a malabsorption desease.
Both xtend and poseidon have glutamine in them...

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
i believe the glutamine PEPTIDES are what cecliacs have problem with, as they are derived from hydrolyzed wheat protein (gluten)

regular L-glutamine is a product of pharmaceutical synthesis and should contain no gluten

im allergic to wheat, ive never had a problem with L-glutamine

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i believe the glutamine PEPTIDES are what cecliacs have problem with, as they are derived from hydrolyzed wheat protein (gluten)

regular L-glutamine is a product of pharmaceutical synthesis and should contain no gluten

good to know.

kruzedgar

kruzedgar

Awards

Exactly. If I were her I wouldn't be worrying about what supplements she cant take as most will not not have gluten in. I would worry more about what foods I will be eating. If you can think of a slow release carb she probably cant eat it anymore. No pastas or bread because its made of wheat. People often find Oats effect them if they are coeliac. Rice and yams are the safest bet. Then there is buckwheat and quinoa if you want to be a bit more experimental!