Do you care at all where your supplements are manufactured ?

• Total voters

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Loaded question.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Basically either domestic manuf. or International manuf.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I like knowing that some of my supplements have been in dsade's caring hands. Makes me smile :)

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
There are so many variables here... the question technically could use a little clarification.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
There are so many variables here... the question technically could use a little clarification.
True.

1. Manuf. in US which most likely results in a slightly higher cost, but by US standards

2. Manuf. internationally, but cheaper prices. Possibly questionable quality control.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Quality materials because its made in the USA? doubt that. Besides you think the clothes on your back and the cars you drive are all made in the US? doubt that as well. If int'l manufacturing is cheaper then i will go with that one.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
A friend of mine works at some kind of home pharmacy service (really shady place that specializes in HRT). Anyways, they get their raws in from China, and he really has to do some work to clean up the product, triple filter, disinfect, ect. I think a lot of companies get their raws in from overseas, which I don't mind as long as they take nessesary precautions to make a safe product.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Quality materials because its made in the USA? doubt that. Besides you think the clothes on your back and the cars you drive are all made in the US? doubt that as well. If int'l manufacturing is cheaper then i will go with that one.
We don't eat cars or clothes (atleast most people) so if quality is cut back then atleast it does not affect our health.

Apparently you do not hold your own health in very high regards.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
We don't eat cars or clothes (atleast most people) so if quality is cut back then atleast it does not affect our health.

Apparently you do not hold your own health in very high regards.
eerr yeah ok because badly manufactured cars are not dangerous at all.

I know what your saying Reaper but there is just no way producing all supplements domestically would ever happen. Companies would simply go out of business OR the cost of supps would skyrocket.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We do as much as we can domestically. As has been stated, the laws of economics force us to purchase a lot of our raws in China/India, then finish the manufacturing process here.

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Reaper - Just thought I would let you and everyone else in on JN's conclusion for the brown substance.

Not cisscus. I could never determine what the heck it was. Whatever it is, it is not a commonly used filler i.e. - mag sterate.

HPLC revealed that the white caps did contain the PH stated on the label. The brown caps did not.
Mistakes will/can happen to any company.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
USA all the way baby.

Deegin

Awards
I honestly don't care where the raws come from as long as they are tested to be quality and safe on a continuous basis.

Now, I would prefer testing and packaging done here in the states though.

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
I think the companies should test all their raws for contaminants and not just post the COA from the supplier. The COA could be faked easily and I believe the companies should be taking the testing into their own hands. At least every 2-3 months test for contaminants such as heavy metals etc.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The reason for this thread that got me thinking was over the Juggernaut Nutrition's WinZtrol that was laced with brown stuff:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/85467-juggernauts-zol.html
that is the reason i voted for juggernaut as worst company in your last poll. btw i dont care where it is manufactured at, the company that puts their name on a product has to be held responsible for quality. if a company has it manufactured overseas then they better have their Q A people there making sure standards are met.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I honestly don't care where the raws come from as long as they are tested to be quality and safe on a continuous basis.

Now, I would prefer testing and packaging done here in the states though.
What he said. We all know you can buy crap, no matter where its sourced and/or finished. Good quality stuff can be produced anywhere, there just need to be the proper checks and balances in place.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
that is the reason i voted for juggernaut as worst company in your last poll. btw i dont care where it is manufactured at, the company that puts their name on a product has to be held responsible for quality. if a company has it manufactured overseas then they better have their Q A people there making sure standards are met.
Btw, it was never determined what that brown substance was. Just wanted to FYI anyone who was wondering.

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
if youre smart you 100% avoid any company that purchases any nutraceutical from china or india without verifying 3rd party (in a US lab) that their products are not contaminated. any reliable company will produce a coa on demand.

a coa from the chinese manufacturer is not good enough

the chinese are notorious for expired & outright faking COA's, and i would venture to say a very very large portion of what gets shipped over from china does not meet pharm standards, and most companies that dont go through this process (or dont have comprehensive analytical labs in house) are selling you contaminate product (with or without knowing)

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
if youre smart you 100% avoid any company that purchases any nutraceutical from china or india without verifying 3rd party (in a US lab) that their products are not contaminated. any reliable company will produce a coa on demand.

a coa from the chinese manufacturer is not good enough

the chinese are notorious for expired & outright faking COA's, and i would venture to say a very very large portion of what gets shipped over from china does not meet pharm standards, and most companies that dont go through this process (or dont have comprehensive analytical labs in house) are selling you contaminate product (with or without knowing)

This is a very good post.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would prefer to buy my supplements from a manufacturer complying to strict norms and operating at the highest levels of ethics and morals. Given such a company, its location would be completely irrelevant. There are dubious companies in China and the rest of the international arena, just like there are dubious companies in the USA. Similarly, honest companies exist everywhere. I do not mind to pay a premium to justify the strict manufacturing practices and ethical standards of a trusted company anywhere in the world.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
I would prefer to buy my supplements from a manufacturer complying to strict norms and operating at the highest levels of ethics and morals. Given such a company, its location would be completely irrelevant. There are dubious companies in China and the rest of the international arena, just like there are dubious companies in the USA. Similarly, honest companies exist everywhere. I do not mind to pay a premium to justify the strict manufacturing practices and ethical standards of a trusted company anywhere in the world.
Strat hit the nail on the head right here. Being U.S. made isn't necessarily worth a whole lot.

Another thing to consider, many ingredients in supplements MUST originate overseas. You ever see a Fadogia field here in the good ol' USA?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
arjun4

arjun4

Awards
i'de like to see what companies that advertise & have reps in this forum can produce 3rd party COA's for their chinese supplies... i have 20$ that says its in the low single digits, if any at all...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
hey reaper, this thread made me think about why some people spend so much more money on name brand prescriptions. my pharmacist swears to me generics are the same, but if that is true how do name brand drugs stay in business? my insurance makes me get generics if available, but i pay the difference for the real deal. btw sorry about jacking your thread, just had to get it out.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
US is by far the cheapest.. in AUS it's twice as much to produce a product.

The diff is.. you know what your getting, TGA have to approve everything and they test everything..

In the US, any jow blow can make a product and put anything in it with no FDA checkin..

*points* to recent companies being caught...MASSIVE companies, let alone smaller.

I think the FDA needs to make a tighter grip to make sure, people are getting what they pay for, that's all!

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
hey reaper, this thread made me think about why some people spend so much more money on name brand prescriptions. my pharmacist swears to me generics are the same, but if that is true how do name brand drugs stay in business? my insurance makes me get generics if available, but i pay the difference for the real deal. btw sorry about jacking your thread, just had to get it out.
pharmas make most of their money the first few years before the patents expire, when there is no one else producing the drug.

some drugs also have no generics, and some people will pay the extra $ for the brand name.

In the US, any jow blow can make a product and put anything in it with no FDA checkin..

*points* to recent companies being caught...MASSIVE companies, let alone smaller.

I think the FDA needs to make a tighter grip to make sure, people are getting what they pay for, that's all!
thats all in the process of changing, in the next few years most supplement companies are going to be forced to adhere to pharmaceutical standards. which is a GREAT thing...

but just so you know, any company worth a damn already DOES adhere to pharmaceutical standards. again, any company should be able (willing) to produce 3rd party COA's for every ingredient in every product.... if they dont, or wont, or tell you they do check but its 'proprietary' information, thats a BIG RED FLAG and means they are full of ****

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
no problem bigt.

The thing is there is sometimes a difference between generic, sometimes there is not. My friend worked for a fertilizing company that is brand name, and they actually fill their own fertilizer in their brand name bags. Then sometimes later on in the day they fill Wal-mart's bags with the exact same fertilizer. So in that instance, the product is the same exact thing, and there is no difference between the product, just the name and advertising.

On the other hand, you can buy something like 6-OXO from ErgoPharm or generic from Nutraplanet. I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with Nutraplanet's materials, however ErgoPharm does testing of their own 6-OXO for potentcy and purity.

Sometimes generics are not that big of a deal, other times they might be.

I am pretty sure that Gaspari's Orastan-E and Anabolic Xtreme's Zol is probably better quality than Juggernaut's WinZtrol.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I was close to buying WinZtrol from Juggernaut, but after that shady brown crap happened, I'm def. not at all.

Probably was laced with dogshlt.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
i'de like to see what companies that advertise & have reps in this forum can produce 3rd party COA's for their chinese supplies... i have 20$ that says its in the low single digits, if any at all...
The only products I have seen with a printable COA is Competitive Edge Labs products, and that whole charade with Epistane that Patrick Arnold induced.

Your guess is probably right.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
US is by far the cheapest.. in AUS it's twice as much to produce a product.

The diff is.. you know what your getting, TGA have to approve everything and they test everything..

That is the FTC's jurisdiction, not the FDA.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'd rather not find out that later on my supplement capsules used arsenic as a filler instead of mag. sterate.

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
I'd rather not find out that later on my supplement capsules used arsenic as a filler instead of mag. sterate.
if you knew how many companies did 'under the radar' recalls for contamination, you would **** yourself.

The only products I have seen with a printable COA is Competitive Edge Labs products, and that whole charade with Epistane that Patrick Arnold induced.

Your guess is probably right.
part of my old job was to contact nutraceutical companies, and weed out the ones who were bull****ting their quality control claims... so that we only sold and recommended the best of the best.

most companies dont put the COA's right out on the webpage, but if you can and ask for a COA for a certain product of specific ingredient in a product... they should be able to fax it to you rather quickly.

there are very few companies who adhere to strict pharmaceutical standards, and im pretty sure i could name 90% of them. sports supplement companies, in general, tend to be a step below nutraceutical companies as far as quality goes... they tend to 'lose' your emails and number when you ask for COA.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
A lot of supplements lately have been brought into question over quality control.

I know Scivation/Primaforce have been pretty good about their quality though.

Last year I emailed Marc L. about one of his products, and he immediately emailed me a copy of their COA. That on top of their low prices and great customer service is what pretty much keeps me a repeat customer.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ReaperX,

7 year olds shouldn't be mess'n with WinZtrol :nono:

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I was close to buying WinZtrol from Juggernaut, but after that shady brown crap happened, I'm def. not at all.

Probably was laced with dogshlt.
thanks man, i used a bottle of that bullshiit. i was on hemadrol/propadrol when they first came out, the only place i could get them was sold out of propadrol and wanted to run another bottle. they recommended winztrol...:toilet:

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
thanks man, i used a bottle of that bullshiit. i was on hemadrol/propadrol when they first came out, the only place i could get them was sold out of propadrol and wanted to run another bottle. they recommended winztrol...:toilet:
Yeah, well your still alive right ! lol.