Purple WrAAth + Tryptophan dose?

• Thread starter Distilled Water
  • Start date
Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
Isn't L-tryptophan the stuff in turkey that makes you sleepy?

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
When would you dose this. If you're taking before bed this might be a good Idea, if you're getting ready to workout you could be curled up on the bench snoozing.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When would you dose this. If you're taking before bed this might be a good Idea, if you're getting ready to workout you could be curled up on the bench snoozing.
See thats why Im wondering what a good dose is. I'd start drinking it about 15minutes before my workout and finish it by the end. I'll probably throw in a little extra leucine as well.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I am curious too, I looked up the ingredient list for Lean dreams, cause it's the only supp I am familiar with that has Tryptophan but it is part of a proprietary blend and doesn't give specifics and it's for before bed supp. It can't be a lot

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am curious too, I looked up the ingredient list for Lean dreams, cause it's the only supp I am familiar with that has Tryptophan but it is part of a proprietary blend and doesn't give specifics and it's for before bed supp. It can't be a lot
On another board I am apart of I ask'd this question also because someone, who is well known and seems to know his stuff, suggested it but has yet to respond on how much he doses.

I figured I'd pick the brilliant minds of AM for an answer too.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I'd just make sure you weren't doing anything like skull crushers or bench on that day incase you do start to feel drowsy. I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying...

moveweight

moveweight

Banned
Awards
tryptophan promotes an increase in Serotonin and is labeled to support relaxation. i would not take this before a workout. after yes

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
tryptophan is not gonna put you to sleep during the day, especially if youre taking it with other EAA's. take a look at the breakdown of whey protein, and add the tryptophan back accordingly.

tryptophan tends to convert more to serotonin in the daylight hours, and more to melatonin during the darker hours.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
tryptophan is not gonna put you to sleep during the day, especially if youre taking it with other EAA's. take a look at the breakdown of whey protein, and add the tryptophan back accordingly.

tryptophan tends to convert more to serotonin in the daylight hours, and more to melatonin during the darker hours.
Thanks I'll take a look, any idea of the top or you head for a good dose?

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
just FYI, the reason companies normally dont include tryptophan in their bcaa/eaa mixtures is COST, not because it has some negative effect on workouts or causes drowsiness... regardless of what anyone tells you. usp tryptophan is expensive and not horribly easy to come by.

and the idea that tryptophan in turkey is what causes drowsiness after thanksgiving dinner is BS.. its the 10k calorie meal that puts you under ;)

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just FYI, the reason companies normally dont include tryptophan in their bcaa/eaa mixtures is COST, not because it has some negative effect on workouts or causes drowsiness... regardless of what anyone tells you. usp tryptophan is expensive and not horribly easy to come by.

and the idea that tryptophan in turkey is what causes drowsiness after thanksgiving dinner is BS.. its the 10k calorie meal that puts you under ;)
Yea I think it was like $22 for 100grams.

I think it may a little. Doses of like 3,500mg+ did a number on a few peoples sleep. Thats a s h i t ton ontop of all the cals and carb crash.

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
Yea I think it was like $22 for 100grams.

I think it may a little. Doses of like 3,500mg+ did a number on a few peoples sleep. Thats a s h i t ton ontop of all the cals and carb crash.
i'de make sure that bulk tryp you got has a 3rd party 99%+ coa AND 3rd party coa peak-X free... tryp is notoriously hard & expensive to produce without contamination, and alot of the cheap sh.. is usually slightly contaminated. ajinomoto brand is the way to go... dr's best uses ajinomoto i believe.

a gram on an empty stomach will put me out for the night... in my experience: 1g tryp = 100mg 5htp = 1mg melatonin

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i'de make sure that bulk tryp you got has a 3rd party 99%+ coa AND 3rd party coa peak-X free... tryp is notoriously hard & expensive to produce without contamination, and alot of the cheap sh.. is usually slightly contaminated. ajinomoto brand is the way to go... dr's best uses ajinomoto i believe.

a gram on an empty stomach will put me out for the night... in my experience: 1g tryp = 100mg 5htp = 1mg melatonin
Crap I got it over at Bulk Nutrition, I should have gone with the NOW stuff. 2.1oz was like $15.99. I trust NOW products. I'll search for the brand you speak oh

saludable24

Awards
  • Established
Get nutra caps and just take a cap with the PW. They work great for me.

The only time an amino acid will exert an effect like making you sleepy is when taken alone or in high concentration relative to other amino acids. When you get a high concentration of an amino acid, it crosses the Blood-Brain Barrier more easily, thus exerting its nurological effects, like producing tryptophan-->5htp-->serotonin.

Someone also recently posted studies saying that exercise reduces blood concentrations of BCAAs/EAAs relative to tryptophan. This rise in the ratio of tryptophan to other EAAs is one mechanism that makes us tire out after a certain time in the gym. I honestly believe that this is the bodie's natural defense mechanism to prevent overstressing the body as well as the mind/CNS thus preventing the disaster that is overtraining.

This rise in the tryptophan concentration also leads me to believe that it may not be nececessary due to other amino acids being metabolized at a much higher rate. I personally wouldn't worry about it much; 500mg would be the highest dose I would recomend.