Proper way to take ALCAR/PLCAR?

bacchus123

Hey guys,

I just received some bulk ALCAR, PLCAR and na-RLA this past friday and I want to combine them in a drink for fat loss, energy, and general health but primarily for help with ED issues. I have read some conflicting reports that you should/should not combine these and I was hoping that someone could help clarify this for me. I also read someplace that some of these may promote hair loss and to add biotin. This is very confusing!
This drink (1 gm ALCAR, 2 gm PLCAR and .3 gram NA-RLA with some lecethin granules thrown in all twice/day) is going to be pretty much the only supplements that I am going to use for awhile with the exception of Neovar (creatine) , protein powder, green tea pills and super cissus RX .

Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

bacchus123

I was also kinda hoping that it will help with world peace.... ha ha

Come on guys...anyone?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys,

I just received some bulk ALCAR, PLCAR and na-RLA this past friday and I want to combine them in a drink for fat loss, energy, and general health but primarily for help with ED issues. I have read some conflicting reports that you should/should not combine these and I was hoping that someone could help clarify this for me. I also read someplace that some of these may promote hair loss and to add biotin. This is very confusing!
This drink (1 gm ALCAR, 2 gm PLCAR and .3 gram NA-RLA with some lecethin granules thrown in all twice/day) is going to be pretty much the only supplements that I am going to use for awhile with the exception of Neovar (creatine) , protein powder, green tea pills and super cissus RX .

Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
I do not see any problems with your ALCAR/PLCAR/NA-RLA stack. Even at high doses, Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) does not have any serious sides. In rare cases, mild, reversible sides such as allergic skin reactions can occur. High doses of ALA (about 1200mg daily) can also produce urine with a bad odour. Hypoglycemia in diabetics is also another possibility. ALA is important in a stack with ALCAR/PLCAR to manage the increased oxidative processes/free-radical activity triggered by ALCAR/PLCAR-induced elevated mitochondrial action.

Regarding biotin, the chemical structure of lipoic acid is similar to that of biotin. Consequently, high concentrations of lipoic acid can create competition with biotin for transportation across cell membranes. This is why biotin is sometimes recommended to be taken with lipoic acid.

For ED purposes, 3gr daily of PLCAR have been used successfully in clinicals. Altogether, I would do the following two times daily on an empty stomach (taking lipoic acid with meals, for instance, decreases its bioavailability):

1gr ALCAR
1.5g PLCAR
150mg NA-RLA

Twice daily
. All the best!

blind12

blind12

Awards
I read a study that showed that ALCAR+PLCAR combination has a poorer effect against chronic fatique syndrome (CFS) than either of them alone, so there might be something about combining them that is not good.

Migght be specific to CFS though... who knows.

I just read that carnitine also blocks thryroid hormone at some level, so it's not the wonder drug that I thought, and should be used with moderation.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I read a study that showed that ALCAR+PLCAR combination has a poorer effect against chronic fatique syndrome (CFS) than either of them alone, so there might be something about combining them that is not good.

Migght be specific to CFS though... who knows.
Perhaps you should mention by how much they improved symptoms individually and by how much in combination. We may be looking at 50%+ in those three cases, which is quite substantial. Besides, in terms of fatigue, it may be fair to say acetyl-L-carnitine improves mental fatigue better, and propionyl carnitine improves symtoms of general fatigue better.

I just read that carnitine also blocks thryroid hormone at some level, so it's not the wonder drug that I thought, and should be used with moderation.
Generally, all supplements should be used with moderation. Yet, as more powerful and advanced forms of carnitine, acetyl-l-carnitine and propionyl-l-carnitine have different effects than standard carnitine. It might be useful, if you could cite the study, or at least describe the thyroid-hormone-blocking mechanism of "carnitine" in some more detail.

blind12

blind12

Awards
ALCAR/PLCAR and CFS:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15039515

The other bit I haven't found any good information on, just some secondhand bits:
http://www.cellhealthmakeover.com/acetyl-l-carnitine.html

"-Carnitine - Alcar and Hyperthyroidism
Enlargement of the thyroid (goiter) can be due to many causes, including cancer and iodine deficiency. In some cases, thyroid enlargement occurs without any known cause, so-called benign goiter.

Treatment of benign goiter generally consists of taking thyroid hormone pills. This causes the thyroid gland to become less active, and the goiter shrinks. However, there may be undesirable effects as well. Symptoms of hyperthyroidism (too much thyroid hormone) can develop, including heart palpitations, nervousness, weight loss, and bone breakdown.

A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial found evidence that use of L-carnitine could alleviate many of these symptoms. This 6-month study evaluated the effects of L-carnitine in 50 women who were taking thyroid hormone for benign goiter. The results showed that a dose of 2 or 4 g of carnitine daily protected participants' bones and reduced other symptoms of hyperthyroidism.

Carnitine is thought to affect thyroid hormone by blocking its action in cells. This suggests a potential concern: Carnitine might be harmful for people who have low or borderline thyroid levels to begin with. This possibility has not been well explored as yet."

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
to the op, better get some strong flavoring to cover that up. 3 scoops of extend does it for me. been on swell/plcar/alcar/tricreatine and extend for about 2 months now.

bacchus123

Thanks so much for the replies guys. However, as I stated earlier, it just seems that there doesn't seem to be a real consensus on this .

I would think that the combination in the relatively benign doses listed above should be good huh?

The last couple of days I mixed 1 - 1.5 alcar / 2 - 2.3 plcar / .3 - .4 NA-RALA grams twice /day but I am now going to adjust the doses down...

Anyone know of any conflicts with caffeine/green tea? I have been trying to take the green tea in between the two alcar/pcar etc drinks (mid-day).

Finally, what about cycling?

Thanks Again!!:think::think:

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
I do not see any problems with your ALCAR/PLCAR/NA-RLA stack. Even at high doses, Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) does not have any serious sides. In rare cases, mild, reversible sides such as allergic skin reactions can occur. High doses of ALA (about 1200mg daily) can also produce urine with a bad odour. Hypoglycemia in diabetics is also another possibility. ALA is important in a stack with ALCAR/PLCAR to manage the increased oxidative processes/free-radical activity triggered by ALCAR/PLCAR-induced elevated mitochondrial action.

Regarding biotin, the chemical structure of lipoic acid is similar to that of biotin. Consequently, high concentrations of lipoic acid can create competition with biotin for transportation across cell membranes. This is why biotin is sometimes recommended to be taken with lipoic acid.

For ED purposes, 3gr daily of PLCAR have been used successfully in clinicals. Altogether, I would do the following two times daily on an empty stomach (taking lipoic acid with meals, for instance, decreases its bioavailability):

1gr ALCAR
1.5g PLCAR
150mg NA-RLA

Twice daily
. All the best!
Very well said. This is the dosing scheme I've followed for over a year and it works great. Another great addition would be piracetam and alpha-gpc. It gives the mind a nice kick in the ass.

Vegking

Awards
so you take PLCAR on an emty stomach and then the ALA with food later on?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
so you take PLCAR on an emty stomach and then the ALA with food later on?
Like The _Reverend said, take ALA on an empty stomach. ALCAR and PLCAR, too, if you are using them as well.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Every time I come into this thread to help, I see that everyone else has it covered.

I'm obsolete.

Vegking

Awards
Okay, I guess I'm a little slow. So you guys are saying is to take both PLCAR and NA-RLA on an empty stomach? The way I have been using it, is I take both PLCAR and ALA about 10 minutes before I eat about two to 3 times a day, is this okay? Thanks

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
Okay, I guess I'm a little slow. So you guys are saying is to take both PLCAR and NA-RLA on an empty stomach? The way I have been using it, is I take both PLCAR and ALA about 10 minutes before I eat about two to 3 times a day, is this okay? Thanks
Yes. Taking them on an empty stomach is fine.