Meaty Thoughts

JETHRO

JETHRO

Awards
Why When It Takes Only 60 Grams Or So Of Protein A Day For A Pregnant Woman To Grow A Baby To Term Do We Need Any More Than 100 For Athletic Purposes? When I Was A Kid I Lived On Sugar (like Alot Of Us) Yet I Grew Like A Weed. Is There Something Different With Nitrogen Retention And Synthesis In Pregnant Women And Children That We Can Apply To Athletics? Is There Any O.t.c. Supplements (besides Protein/aminos) That Boost The Bodys Protein Retention And Synthesis So That What Protein You Do Get Sticks Around And Really Gets Used? How About Something That Prevents Protein From Being Broken Down Into Sugars And Fatty Acids? Or Would That Destroy A Persons Kidneys?

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
i dont know. about the details but B6 improves protein synthesis, i take Super B-Complex, 2-3 a day before meals.

I am not sure about pregnant woman only gettin that much protein. I know we learned in nutrition class anaverage person is supposed to get .7-1g per lb and the highest was for physically demanding people, as in job and lifestyle was 1.3-1.5g max. Protein can put alot of stress on the kidneys but i can admit, when my diet slips with protein i can feel and see a difference.
Im talking week+ of maybe 100g a day.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont know. about the details but B6 improves protein synthesis, i take Super B-Complex, 2-3 a day before meals.

I am not sure about pregnant woman only gettin that much protein. I know we learned in nutrition class anaverage person is supposed to get .7-1g per lb and the highest was for physically demanding people, as in job and lifestyle was 1.3-1.5g max. Protein can put alot of stress on the kidneys but i can admit, when my diet slips with protein i can feel and see a difference.
Im talking week+ of maybe 100g a day.
Your numbers should be in reference to gr per kg, not pounds. That's the standard RDA requirements ment for the average individual, with recommendation ranging from 1.4- 1.8 gr per kg depending on activities.

I've never noticed a difference gain wise when my protein has decreased. I've went from as much as 250gr/day to 150gr/day and not noticed a thing at all. The body utilizes proteins very differently then any other macro we consume. The amino acids are broken down and stored in interstitial amino acid pools for the use of synthesis and cellular reactions. That being said, the average individual has a AA pool content ranging from 60-80gr of AA's, with an average of 20-40 spent in regeneration, repair and reactions.

Going by the numbers and what science tells us a high, high protein diet isn't necessarily the end all be all in facilitating proper growth. The idea that in order to increase muscle you must increase extraordinary amounts of proteins probably stems from a person taking the contents of "muscle is protein" to it's highest regards.

R

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I feel like too much protein stresses the stomach more than the kidneys.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i just use protein shakes as a between meal snack. its low fat, low carb and keeps me full till i eat. beats the heck out of snack food. i found out a long time ago that excessive protein did more harm than good for me.

R

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I believe there is an overkill on protein as well. Its like a bell curve, once you get past the plateau, the benefits begin to cease.