Bioavailability of glucosamine/chondroitin

  1. Registered User
    AM07's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,155
    Answers
    0

    Bioavailability of glucosamine/chondroitin


    What are the absorption rates of glucosamine and chondroitin in capsule form? I've read that it's small, so it's almost not worth it to get it in capsule form, and to use a topical product such as VPX Glucosacream, or something else. Anyone else have anymore information?

  2. Registered User
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,763
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by AM07;
    What are the absorption rates of glucosamine and chondroitin in capsule form? I've read that it's small, so it's almost not worth it to get it in capsule form, and to use a topical product such as VPX Glucosacream, or something else. Anyone else have anymore information?
    Chondroitin sulfate and shark cartilage are composed of relative large molecules, making absorption difficult. The absorption rate for chondroitin sulfate is between zero and about 8%. Glucosamine sulfate, on the other hand, is composed of relatively small molecules, delivering a comparatively high absorption rate of about 98%, orally administered.
    By the way, after absorption, glucosamine sulfate is preferentially soaked up by cartilage and other joint structures and stimulates the integration of sulfur into cartilage. At this point, glucosamine triggers the manufacture of chondroitin sulfate and other compounds known as mucopolysaccharides.
    .
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  3. Registered User
    terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    102
    Answers
    0


    I have read several studies on the bioavailability of Chondroitin Sulfate; all studies showed benefit of taking an oral CS but there were higher absorption rates with the lower molecular weight CS.

    It wouldn't matter if you took the CS in capsule or tablet or powder form, it would depend on the molecular weight of the CS being used, which isn't typically disclosed by supplement companies.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    AM07's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,155
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    Chondroitin sulfate and shark cartilage are composed of relative large molecules, making absorption difficult. The absorption rate for chondroitin sulfate is between zero and about 8%. Glucosamine sulfate, on the other hand, is composed of relatively small molecules, delivering a comparatively high absorption rate of about 98%, orally administered.
    By the way, after absorption, glucosamine sulfate is preferentially soaked up by cartilage and other joint structures and stimulates the integration of sulfur into cartilage. At this point, glucosamine triggers the manufacture of chondroitin sulfate and other compounds known as mucopolysaccharides.
    .
    So it would be okay to just load up on glucosamine then, considering it results in the synthesis of chondroitin?

    I just want my bad ankle sprain to heal faster. It happened about 4 months ago, and it's a lot better, but I just want to be able to jog and run again without fear of spraining it again. Still don't have full ROM.
  5. Registered User
    djbombsquad's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,830
    Answers
    0


    according to authorities org chondroitin is useless but glucosamine hydrochloride is a better choice.
  6. Registered User
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,763
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by AM07;
    So it would be okay to just load up on glucosamine then, considering it results in the synthesis of chondroitin?

    I just want my bad ankle sprain to heal faster. It happened about 4 months ago, and it's a lot better, but I just want to be able to jog and run again without fear of spraining it again. Still don't have full ROM.
    Yes, prefer loading glucosamine sulfate. You might also want to consider adding a cissus product for general ligament, bone, tendon, and joint support, as well as for enhanced recovery.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  7. Registered User
    chainsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,212
    Answers
    0


    Celadrin is good as well. I never heard this about Chrondroiton, so basically it is useless it is lower molecular weight. Good info.
  8. Registered User
    terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    102
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    according to authorities org chondroitin is useless but glucosamine hydrochloride is a better choice.
    There are more scientific clinical studies performed on Glucosamine Sulfate. Glucosamine HCl is cheaper, that is why the so-called authorities are telling you that.

    There are many studies that show benefits of chondroiton sulfate even with poor bioavailibilty which probably means we don't know all the mechanisms of action for CS yet.
  9. Registered User
    djbombsquad's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,830
    Answers
    0


    Typo on my part. I ment to say Arthritis not authorities. my bad.
  10. Registered User
    AM07's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,155
    Answers
    0


    Ordered some glucosamine sulfate because it's supposed to be better than HCL, correct?
  11. Registered User
    terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    102
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by AM07 View Post
    Ordered some glucosamine sulfate because it's supposed to be better than HCL, correct?
    Yes
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM
    By darius in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2004, 09:09 PM
  2. Oral Bioavailability of 4AD?
    By bigmark1972 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 11:14 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2003, 11:21 PM
  4. Know the risks of Glucosamine
    By windwords7 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 11:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in