If I weigh 165 lbs. 160 grams of protein a day is enough?

warvictim

warvictim

Banned
Awards
Hello all: i weigh 165 lbs. and I take about 160 grams of protein a day, is that enough to be in an anabolic-state or would i need to increase the protein intake to 180? or is it possible for me to train hard and gain strength by taking 160 grams of protein a day?

warvictim

AM07

Awards
  • Established
160 grams is fine. Some people on here will tell you to take 300+ grams a day, but that is way overkill.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I agree, I would shoot for anywhere between 160-200 at that weight.. just dont skimp :D

warvictim

warvictim

Banned
Awards
hehe, wow 300 grams of protein is a lot of $$$. haha.

Well, anyways, i don't think i require too much protein, because for example, my workouts are short, i don't train long. I do 8 sets for large muscles and 4 sets for small muscles. And i only lift weights 2 times a week (2 fullbody workouts a week), the other day i walk and jogg outside

warvictim

160 grams is fine. Some people on here will tell you to take 300+ grams a day, but that is way overkill.

warvictim

warvictim

Banned
Awards
Hello, thanx a lot for replying. Well the thing is that i've had my doubts wether i was in a catabolic state or not. Because i thought i needed more protein at my bodyweight, because some people suggest 1.5 grams or 2 grams per lbs.

warvictim

I agree, I would shoot for anywhere between 160-200 at that weight.. just dont skimp :D

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
ah I see what you mean.. well if you break those babies up into 5-6 meals of 30-35 grams of protein spread out across the day and keep your carbs complex and plentiful, you certainly shouldn't slip into catabolism.. good luck friend

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Hello, thanx a lot for replying. Well the thing is that i've had my doubts wether i was in a catabolic state or not. Because i thought i needed more protein at my bodyweight, because some people suggest 1.5 grams or 2 grams per lbs.

warvictim
These people just spread that bull**** myth where people think you need 2 grams per pound in order to gain mass, and it just isn't true.

Unless you're on AAS, your body isn't going to use all of that protein.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
even then you don't need 2g / pound. a pound of muscle is under 160g of protein, and even on juice I don't see you gaining a pound a day :)

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hello all: i weigh 165 lbs. and I take about 160 grams of protein a day, is that enough to be in an anabolic-state or would i need to increase the protein intake to 180? or is it possible for me to train hard and gain strength by taking 160 grams of protein a day?

warvictim
A number many people shoot for is roughly 1g/lb of bodyweight split up throughout the day. People on lower-carb diets might have a higher amount of protein. As well people that have massive daily caloric expenditures will have higher amounts of proteins because 30% of 4000 calories is 300g! Anyways to recap, you're fine protein wise.

Read this article for a full writeup about protein needs. http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/proprejudice.htm