6-OXO, no change in body comp

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey sorry if this has been posted, stumbled across it while doing a research paper.

Even though FT was increased, est was only slightly inhibited, and body comp had no statistical change...

Effects of eight weeks of an alleged aromatase inhibiting nutritional supplement 6-OXO (androst-4-ene-3,6,17-trione) on serum hormone profiles and clinical safety markers in resistance-trained, eugonadal males.(Research article). Author(s):Dan Rohle, Colin Wilborn, Lem Taylor, Chris Mulligan, Richard Kreider and Darryn Willoughby. Source:Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 4.13 (Oct 19, 2007): p13. (4996 words) Document Type:Magazine/Journal Bookmark:Bookmark this Document DOI:Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full text | Effects of eight weeks of an alleged aromatase inhibiting nutritional supplement 6-OXO (androst-4-ene-3,6,17-trione) on serum hormone profiles and clinical safety markers in resis Library Links:
Abstract:
The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of 6-OXO, a purported nutritional aromatase inhibitor, in a dose dependent manner on body composition, serum hormone levels, and clinical safety markers in resistance trained males. Sixteen males were supplemented with either 300 mg or 600 mg of 6-OXO in a double-blind manner for eight weeks. Blood and urine samples were obtained at weeks 0, 1, 3, 8, and 11 (after a 3-week washout period). Blood samples were analyzed for total testosterone (TT), free testosterone (FT), dihydrotestosterone (DHT), estradiol, estriol, estrone, SHBG, leutinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), growth hormone (GH), cortisol, FT/estradiol (T/E). Blood and urine were also analyzed for clinical chemistry markers. Data were analyzed with two-way MANOVA. For all of the serum hormones, there were no significant differences between groups (p > 0.05). Compared to baseline, free testosterone underwent overall increases of 90% for 300 mg 6-OXO and 84% for 600 mg, respectively (p [less than] 0.05). DHT underwent significant overall increases (p [less than] 0.05) of 192% and 265% with 300 mg and 600 mg, respectively. T/E increased 53% and 67% for 300 mg and 600 mg 6-OXO, respectively. For estrone, 300 mg produced an overall increase of 22%, whereas 600 mg caused a 52% increase (p [less than] 0.05). Body composition did not change with supplementation (p > 0.05) and clinical safety markers were not adversely affected with ingestion of either supplement dose (p > 0.05). While neither of the 6-OXO dosages appears to have any negative effects on clinical chemistry markers, supplementation at a daily dosage of 300 mg and 600 mg for eight weeks did not completely inhibit aromatase activity, yet significantly increased FT, DHT, and T/E.
Full Text :COPYRIGHT 2007 BioMed Central Ltd.

Last edited:

drkzk

Awards
I've read that before. I find it kind of funny how they market it as a suicide aromatase inhibitor with some testosterone boosting qualities, yet the study shows it's the reverse.

And when they say body composition, do they refer to lean muscle mass or bf%? Could be that the person did add on size, yet the body fat percent stayed the same.

maggmaster

Awards
  • Established
No placebo, practically worthless, this implies that there was no change in bosy comp at all when there should have been some change just from the resistance training.

The Paper Route

The Paper Route

Awards
When i take this my forearms hurt when i do heavy curls. It must do something.

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
ompared to baseline, free testosterone underwent overall increases of 90% for 300 mg 6-OXO and 84% for 600 mg, respectively (p [less than] 0.05). DHT underwent significant overall increases (p [less than] 0.05) of 192% and 265% with 300 mg and 600 mg, respectively. T/E increased 53% and 67% for 300 mg and 600 mg 6-OXO, respectively.

interesting but it apparently doesnt have any impact on the serum test?

eugonadal?

ntrlmuscle

ntrlmuscle

Awards
is that all that was published? what were the figures of those groups receiving the placebo? would love to hear what PA has to say on the findings....i actually like the idea of it having less effect on estro and more on test, but thats just me

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
See attached for what it's worth. It showed increases in T, FT, Estrone, & DHT, and a non-statistically significant decrease in e2.

This was funded by LPJ Research (PA was President of the company).

Attachments

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The first one was funded by Proviant and InStone, if anyone was wondering.

ImJ2x

ImJ2x

Awards
  • Established
is that all that was published? what were the figures of those groups receiving the placebo? would love to hear what PA has to say on the findings....i actually like the idea of it having less effect on estro and more on test, but thats just me
I'm not well-versed on the subject, but I think ntrlmuscle is right. Don't we want to keep some estrogen, for joint/lipid/libido health? Isn't an improving T/E ratio what we're actually shooting for in PCT? Like I said, I don't understand this stuff too well, but it seems to me like this study actually supports the use of 6oxo for PCT.