Are supplements robbing you of your muscle building/fatloss potential? - AnabolicMinds.com

Are supplements robbing you of your muscle building/fatloss potential?

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  123 lbs.

Are supplements robbing you of your muscle building/fatloss potential?

Supplement use or abuse ?!

And so you think you got it all, 1) you eat clean,
    2) train hard, 3) take the right supplements. However, you look in the mirror and they are still there, the remnants of a sausage-roll belly, saddlebags, underarm flab, cottage cheese thighs, whatever “mother nature” gave you to your uttermost annoyance and frustration. You’re so desperate to get rid of these perpetrators of your envisaged physique that you spend your hard earned pay check and get into the latest trend, the supplement frenzy. The next thing you know, you’re drowning down millions of “magic” pills a day as if you were a terminal AIDS patient. And yet the mirror image is still the same. So you go and swallow more pills. You may even try different stacks, You may try the whole bloody lot !! And yet, the mirror image is still the same. And you ask why? Bad genetics, bad karma, bad day…EXCUSES, EXCUSES, EXCUSES !!! One thing that everyone has excess off. :burg:
    Let me ask you this, in all honesty, DO YOU REALLY 1) EAT CLEAN and 2) TRAIN HARD ? Top notch physique requires commitment, dedication and willpower to 1) EAT CLEAN and 2) TRAIN HARD and NO (not nitric oxide, you sup nerd!!!), supplement can substitute for the lack of COMMITMENT, DEDICATION AND WILLPOWER.

The most effective and most ignored fatloss/muscle building strategy – ditch the junk !!

Yes, you’ve heard it many times before and it is almost borderline boring to repeat it but “junk in equals junk out” and “you are what you eat” . Do you even understand the concept of eating clean ? Congratulations if you do, but most people only think they do. OK, to cut it short, the list of clean foods does not include whey protein powders, pre-workout drink powders, low fat milk, whole grain bread, pasta, high protein meal-replacement bars…do you get it ? Anything that is man-made is artificial. Artificial foods contain synthetic junk, colours, preservatives, stabilizers, flavour-enhancers, emulsifiers and all sorts of stuff that our bodies are not able to process. The list extends further to non-organic produce that is contaminated with pesticides and herbicides. The liver is capable of breaking down this crap only to a certain point. If there is an overload of junk that the liver can’t handle, it gets stored. And guess where it gets stored ? You’ve heard the potential risk of chemical poisoning by over-consumption of fat fish or fish oil. Yes, the omega-3s that come in fish oils are indeed beneficial, but not if they come with the spice of mercury or PCBs. Yes, you’ve guessed right, toxic junk that can’t get disposed off gets stored in adipose tissue, aka bodyfat, cottage cheese lumps, belly flab, whatever you want to call it. One reason why this happens is because a lot of toxic compounds are lipophilic (or in common terms - have high affinity for fat/fat soluble). If you are eating junk, the body has no reason to burn the fat. It is holding onto it, it needs it as a rubbish bin. Obviously not all toxic compounds are fat soluble, however, they can still hinder your fatloss and muscle building progress. The reason is dead simple, if the liver is too busy breaking down toxins, then it can’t efficiently perform its other major duties, namely protein synthesis and fat oxidation (“burning”).
    Avoiding all contaminants and toxins is practically impossible but sure as hell you can minimize your exposure to them. To do this requires a lifestyle change and that is hard and can also be very time consuming. Nevertheless, mediocre effort produces mediocre results, if you’re happy with that fine, if you’re not, have a look at your pre-workout drink and the list of ingredients. You may find something like this:

Nitro-Fuel-Fusion: 4.05g
    (Di-L-Arginine-L-Malate, Arginine-AKG, Phytic Acid, L-Citrulline-Malate, L-Norvaline)
    Tricreatine-Fusion: 4.00 g
    (Dicreatine-Malate, Monocreatine-Malate, Creatine Anhydrous)
    Gluta-Sorp / NAGTM Matrix: 2.00 g
    (N-Acetyl-L-Glutamine, Fermented L-Glutamine)

Other Ingredients:
    Natural and Artificial Flavors, Aspartame, Acesulfame-K, F.D. & C. Colors (Red No. 40 and Yellow No.5).
    ??!!!

The "other ingredients" CONTRIBUTE NOTHING TO MUSCLE BUILDING OR FAT LOSS, THEY ARE PURE AND UTTER JUNK AND YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT !!!!!Your favourite whey protein powder, cookies and cream flavour ?, Hmmm, ever wondered how they managed to do that ?! Sorry, but there is no natural way that tuna or egg whites or pure whey for that matter, will ever taste like cookies and cream. Yes, I know, we are all humans and we cannot exist on celery sticks, rice and egg whites 6X a day. I’m not saying, ditch your favourite whey powder just use it sparingly or investigate better alternatives. Don’t ditch your favourite supplements either, however, do not base your muscle building/fatloss quest upon them. They will only work if everything else is in order. In the end, do not take my word for anything, I’m just a mad scientist angry at the world . Few of us out there and some of our “angry talk” even gets published:

Factors affecting the storage and excretion of tox...[Lipids. 2001] - PubMed Result

Benefits and risks of fish consumption Part I. A q...[Toxicology. 2007] - PubMed Result

Health risks of dietary intake of environmental po...[Food Chem Toxicol. 2005] - PubMed Result

Factors affecting the storage and excretion of tox...[Lipids. 2001] - PubMed Result

Food Additives Effects - Medical Point Article

Metabolic Functions of the Liver

2. New Member

nice write up, reminded me of a few things i knew but forgot about
  3. New Member

If i could get whole unpasteurized milk where I live I don't think I'd ever buy a jug of whey protein again. With whole milk and whole eggs in your diet there would be no possible deficiencies in amino acids. But as far as the junk thing goes, I think for a lot of people(myself included) junk food serves as an emotional crutch(possibly even chemically-ie seratonin,dopamine), and it's hard to eat clean in a stressfull world of 9-5 jobs. But your post is thought provoking, and like the previous poster alluded to, if I knew everything that I've forgotten, I could probably pull everthing togther.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.

You should probably take it easy on 'non-conformative views'. They are about as readily accepted as interracial dating is in the South.

lol.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

"I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  6. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Another piece of truly eating clean is cooking method. pan frying anything is out, so is broiling or grilling. steam or bake is it. you create carcinogens when you fry or broil or grill
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Mmm, carcinogens.
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

I was only thinking this week that i im wasting too much money on supps. i say waste because for me personally i dont think i get enough out of them for what i pay which is purely my fault and knowbody elses. But with a "clean" diet and good workouts supps aren't really required to get results but we all know we look forward to working out that much more when we're pumped full of the latest supps on the market.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    I was only thinking this week that i im wasting too much money on supps. i say waste because for me personally i dont think i get enough out of them for what i pay which is purely my fault and knowbody elses. But with a "clean" diet and good workouts supps aren't really required to get results but we all know we look forward to working out that much more when we're pumped full of the latest supps on the market.
    so true
  10. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

There is some amount of "placebo" effect even with steroids and hormonal cycles. being excited and motivated is a significant factor in intensity
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    There is some amount of "placebo" effect even with steroids and hormonal cycles. being excited and motivated is a significant factor in intensity
    I would agree with this statement as well. In fact many times supps are the motivation I need to really eat right and workout. I figure "hey, I just spend $100 on this cycle, I'm going to get my money's worth". This forces me to document my food and workout routine to see if the money was well spent and I'd want to do it again.
  12. New Member

Very good rant.
    Supps can make for a nice kick in the pants when you're starting out or have plateaued, but nothing can or should replace the basics.
  13. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
    I would agree with this statement as well. In fact many times supps are the motivation I need to really eat right and workout. I figure "hey, I just spend $100 on this cycle, I'm going to get my money's worth". This forces me to document my food and workout routine to see if the money was well spent and I'd want to do it again.
    You see it in a lot of logs too, some people spend more time evaluating the details of what they are doing the first time they do a hormone cycle, or the first time they jump to pinning. Some even when its just adding creatine
    This space for rent

14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Some supps are essential for me but the magic happens in the kitchen and the gym. I decided to go the steroid route a few years ago because I was realizing that supps aren't extremely crucial when you eat and train properly.

It's a good point pf view and probably something we've all pondered at one point. I do think it's impossible to get all the proper nutrition from whole foods alone. I'm too busy so I don't have the luxury to cook fresh meals several times a day while taking the time sit down, eat the meal, and ultimately cleaning the dishes. If you can do this on a daily basis than you're probably financially set for the rest of your life since there's not much to worry about.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

Great article,interesting theories,I'm printing this one,thanks!
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  123 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel35 View Post
    If i could get whole unpasteurized milk where I live I don't think I'd ever buy a jug of whey protein again. With whole milk and whole eggs in your diet there would be no possible deficiencies in amino acids.
    Same here, i can't even get decent cottage cheese, they put colors in every single brand I looked at (it was a looong and painfull job). Why ? To make it look whiter ?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daniel35 View Post
    But as far as the junk thing goes, I think for a lot of people(myself included) junk food serves as an emotional crutch(possibly even chemically-ie seratonin,dopamine), and it's hard to eat clean in a stressfull world of 9-5 jobs.
    I AM NOT shooting myself in the leg by saying this, i never claimed I was perfect, ok ? So here it goes: Have you tried the new version of cAMPHIBOLIC by USP labs? It contains Mucuna pruriens, a natural source of L-Dopa precursor. Great stuff !!
  17. Senior Member

Most supplements are just a placebo effect.

If you think you need a supplement, clean up your diet just a little, and you'll see better results from that. If you do that and still think you need supplements, train a little more intensely, and you'll see better results from that.

I think most supplements are a waste of money in terms of the cost:benefit ratio.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  123 lbs.

Another piece of truly eating clean is cooking method. pan frying anything is out, so is broiling or grilling. steam or bake is it. you create carcinogens when you fry or broil or grill
    True, but Aussies can't live without BBQ

To address some other issues that have been raised on this thread….
    It really comes down to how much are you willing to invest in your health and wellbeing. Just because a 100% healthy lifestyle is practically impossible it doesn't mean that you should abandon the idea alltogether. It is too hard so I just won't bother. Another FREAKING EXCUSE!! I know it, I used to do it all the time. Now I think that taking a few steps is better than none. Personally, I hit a plateau, I train my a$$ out in the gym but I'm not getting any stronger. From an "average" person's point of view, my diet is already freakishly clean. However, I'm not an average person, I'm a weight lifter like most of you here (just a liiiittle bit smaller, only 115lb). I suffer too much pain in the gym (ok, there is a certain amount of pleasure in that I admit), and I'm NOT happy with average results. So if busting my plateau means I have to clean my act up a bit, so be it. Buy a water filter, some organic veggies, a baking dish, go easier on “cookies’n’cream” protein shakes and that is already a big improvement. As with any change, the hardest thing is to start. Once you get it going, soon enough it becomes a routine and you realize it wasn’t that hard to do it after all.
  19. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

for the most part, if youre a newbie.

Ive slowly come off supplements now because of the way the industry is going i really dont want to support it. Steroids, food, creatine is about it for me nowadays lol. No fancy this or fancy that. I cant help but think of guys making great gains with just food and here you are forking over the $$$ to what avail?

Training technique and intensity is number one for me then comes diet, but it is nearly impossible to eat 100% organic or natural sources only. Not to mention, i know what its like to be without the joys of eating....and i must say life is too short for me to be depriving myself of delicious cheat meals. When i get older and it catches up to me ill either clean it up to a tee or say fck it altogether and just eat lard all day j/k
  20. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    True, but Aussies can't live without BBQ
    Its the only way to cook a steak!!.................or chicken, or fish, or prawns......
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  123 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    Its the only way to cook a steak!!.................or chicken, or fish, or prawns......
    ...and with lots and lots and lots of onion !!!! Problems arise after, but who cares ?
  22. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

carcinogens are overrated
    This space for rent

23. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

how could i forget the onions!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 09:11 PM
  2. Are supplements a waste of money?
    By lozgod in forum General Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 02:23 PM
  3. Whats Your Fav. Muscle Building Supplement???
    By just93 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 09:42 PM
  4. How many grams of protein are in a pound of human muscle?
    By ArnoldIsMyIdol in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2007, 11:51 PM